Alaska or Grand Canyon

jonsmom

I have a big birthday next year and would like to celebrate with a great vacation.

I was leaning toward the Grand Canyon but now.....an Alaska cruise is in my sights.

Thoughts? Is there even a comparison, meaning am I comparing apples to apples.

Thanks All,

Joanne

I would do the Alaska cruise because you will get the best of both worlds.

You will get wonderful scenery from the ship and in port but at the same time you will have the opportunity to celebrate and enjoy the ambience of the ship at night.

Both nice choices but think that a cruise will be very special.

Keith

Not sure I can say it is apples to apples. Have been to both several times (Grand Canyon just 3 weeks ago). The only way I would compare the two is to do a multi day drive through the "geology" parks in the area of the Grand Canyon- Arches, Zion, Grand Canyon, etc.

Give that a cruise moves you every day, different sites every day, feeds, houses and entertains you, I would go for the cruise.

Both are great trips. JMHO.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Which month? Not a big fan of the canyon with the summer heat? Alaska offers different experiences each month. What Alaska itinerary/ports?

West Rim? South Rim? Both? Vegas combo? FYI... Alaska can be comboed with Grand Canyon with Vegas on a ship reposition on some months.

Edited by xlxo

Which month? Not a big fan of the canyon with the summer heat? Alaska offers different experiences each month.

West Rim? South Rim? Both? Vegas combo? FYI... Alaska can be comboed with Grand Canyon with Vegas on a ship reposition on some months.

I am looking at GC in March & Alaska in June or August.

I am not a fan of the heat either which is why I was looking at March.

South Rim- no Vegas

I am looking at GC in March & Alaska in June or August.

I am not a fan of the heat either which is why I was looking at March.

South Rim- no Vegas

If this is a birthday getaway.... which month is the birthday?

June offers cheaper AK prices and dryer weather. August has more AK wildlife opportunities and dryer Cascadia weather. If Vancouver is a stop... the Capilano Suspension bridge can offer a partial GC Skywalk experience.

It's a 3 hour flight if you can't decide and want to do a combo with AK and GC (landing in Vegas).

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]CZzl0LOjRvY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I suggest going to Alaska. We have been to both the Grand Canyon and Alaska and enjoyed both for various reasons. Both are fantastic but I give Alaska the edge.

You might want to see the slide shows my wife made with pictures she took for her website. You will see pictures of the Grand Canyon as well as our other vacations. It will also give you an idea of what you can experience being on an Alaska cruise.

The link below will take you there

Nancy's Oasis - Travel Slideshows

The Grand Canyon is at a higher elevation (7,000 ft.) than some areas of the SW USA and usually has snow in March. Even early April can be very cool. Late April and May are delightful months for visiting the Grand Canyon, as are late September and early October. For a special birthday I would choose the historic El Tovar hotel - very nice, fine restaurants, and a spectacular setting with the best of views.

The Grand Canyon is at a higher elevation (7,000 ft.) than some areas of the SW USA and usually has snow in March. Even early April can be very cool. Late April and May are delightful months for visiting the Grand Canyon, as are late September and early October. For a special birthday I would choose the historic El Tovar hotel - very nice, fine restaurants, and a spectacular setting with the best of views.
Another GC cruise variation to Alaska.... Whistler. The depth of the GC is basically the height of Whistler attractions....

[YOUTUBE]HdzUWN2ekQk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]jBvaJ7dskBE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]_BCzKWh9Yt8[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]N3opExGBunI[/YOUTUBE]

Here is my suggestion. Write out all the costs you will incur on both trips then write out all that you will be able to see and do on both trips. Pros and cons of each trip. Then enjoy your cruise to Alaska. The prices for cruises keep going up and up as do the cost of going to the GC BUT transportation to GC is much cheaper than it is to Alaska. The biggest cost in going to the GC will be in hotel, meals and transportation around the area. Not so for Alaska because that is all included in the cruise. Enjoy either trip that you take.

I have a big birthday next year and would like to celebrate with a great vacation.

I was leaning toward the Grand Canyon but now.....an Alaska cruise is in my sights.

Thanks All,

Joanne

That is an absurd and totally unanswerable question. You are not comparing apples to apples or even comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing apples to steak. Both are good but both are totally different.

Also, you have left out important details such as what you plan to do at the Grand Canyon and how long you plan to stay there. Most people who go to the Grand Canyon go to the rim. They take some pictures. They may drive along the rim for a few miles. They may even hike down for a bit. They then run off to the next National Park or maybe back to Vegas.

This would be equivalent to taking a 1 day or maybe 2 day cruise and then getting off and running to Disneyland.

If you want to consider equal trips and immersion experiences, think about doing a Grand Canyon multi-day rafting trip. This immerses you in the canyon in the same way as going on a ship immerses you in Alaska. The cost is even about the same. You can do a 6 or 7 day Grand Canyon rafting trip for less than $3000 and there are no additional "optional" expenses.

Think about it.

DON

Thanks All,

Joanne

That is like comparing an ice cream sundae to chocolate cake. Both are great. Unless you do the river through the canyon, Grand Canyon is at best worth a couple of days, while Alaska is far more.

Do them both, not necessarily at the same time. The Grand Canyon would be a part of other places in the Southwest.

I've done both.

Alaska > Grand Canyon in every way possible.

I'm not saying the GC isn't worth doing, it definitely is, but Alaska is a far superior experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have done both, along with an exteded 7 day land trip in Alaska prior to sailing from Seward to Vancouver B.C. Our vote would be see Alaska first.

You will enjoy the cruise, your excursions, & birthday much more than traveling to the national parks & grand canyon. The ship is your hotel with new destinations everyday. Unpack/pack once, let someone else make your bed, feed you on the ship, & confuse you with many choices of things to do & see during your time in Alaska. Carefully choose your excursions, areas of interest, & costs. Planning is very important to get the most out of your Alaskan adventure.

The Grand Canyon is not going anywhere & accessible 10 months of the year or more. We rarely go to the south rim which is where most of the tourist visit. The north rim is a longer drive with fewer visitors. Offers some the best viewing of the canyon & it puts you closer to other canyon destinations. It also takes much planning, especially lodging & drive times.

Either is a good choice, you just need to set your priority.

Happy Travels, John

Edited by onespots

We have done both, along with an exteded 7 day land trip in Alaska prior to sailing from Seward to Vancouver B.C. Our vote would be see Alaska first.

You will enjoy the cruise, your excursions, & birthday much more than traveling to the national parks & grand canyon. The ship is your hotel with new destinations everyday. Unpack/pack once, let someone else make your bed, feed you on the ship, & confuse you with many choices of things to do & see during your time in Alaska. Carefully choose your excursions, areas of interest, & costs. Planning is very important to get the most out of your Alaskan adventure.

The Grand Canyon is not going anywhere & accessible 10 months of the year or more. We rarely go to the south rim which is where most of the tourist visit. The north rim is a longer drive with fewer visitors. Offers some the best viewing of the canyon & it puts you closer to other canyon destinations. It also takes much planning, especially lodging & drive times.

Either is a good choice, you just need to set your priority.

Happy Travels, John

Thank you John - I think that you are right, unpacking/packing only once. Cruising is by far less stressful. Even trying to get down the logistics of travelling to Page, down to the Canyon and Sedona was overwhelming, lol. May save GC for another time.

To the original poster...

Everyone is right. there is simply NO way to make a comparison.

Which trip might be a first priority to you would be a personal preference.

We have been to Sedona and GC...

Loved the trip!!!

Went in May... Yes, March might be a bit early.

The only way to even begin to make a comparison here would be to compare a very nice full service (pricy) resort, maybe outside of Sedona.

Both trips would have the amazing and fantastic scenery.

But, only one of these resorts near GC would compare to the experience and service of being on a nice cruise ship.

The highlights of our trip to this area of the great southwest were sitting at an overlook (Yavapai Point???) at sunset. You simply have not experienced the awesome grandeur and vastness of the GC until you have done something like this at Sunset. The Pink Jeep Tour out of Sedona was incredible. (made my vertigo kick in, majorly, for a week!!!) and, of course so much more.

The highlights of our Alaskan Cruise, that is yet to be seen. But I would imagine that our boat tour to see the glaciers of Prince William Sound, as well as whale watching outside of Juneau, and of course the grandeur of Glacier Bay National Park will be three of the biggies. there is also Hubbard Glacier. Wish we could do Tracy Arm Fjord, but couldn't find a way to fit everything into one trip. (

No heli-tours or air-tours on either trip for us, because of my vertigo.)

Hey, that is one thing that these two things have in common. Both are two of the most amazing U.S. National Parks!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Thank you John - I think that you are right, unpacking/packing only once. Cruising is by far less stressful. Even trying to get down the logistics of travelling to Page, down to the Canyon and Sedona was overwhelming, lol. May save GC for another time.

The cruise itself might be stress free, but there are still logistics and decisions to make! :)

Which cruiseline? which ship? one-way or RT? Vancouver or Seattle? balcony?

which itinerary? which ports? Yikes, and then what to do in each port. :eek: