X copies the worst of Princess (MUTS)

dd214

Do they still have the small movie theater on one of the lower decks? I haven't sailed the Summit since 2005 and I know there have been a multitude of changes.

Bob

The removal of the movie theatres was part of the "Solsticizing" process on the M-class ships. I think they have all gone now.

On our Princess cruises we enjoy MUTS to watch a movie at night. The problem is during the day when they blast concerts around the pool area. This drives us away to the aft pool, but that is usually full of smokers, so unless we can find a seat away from them we end up inside.

Exactly why we haven't sailed Princess in years. Too bad. We did enjoy their cruises. However we enjoy relaxing at the pool and that is not possible with muts. [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have sailed on Princess one time. One of the things we disliked was MUTS (movies under the stars). It pretty much makes the pool deck unusable for anything else where communicating with others is expected/desired.

We have booked a cruise on the Summit to New England, and ......

Not to change the subject, But

WELCOME to Cruise Critic,

And if you would be interested in meeting some of your cruise mates who'll be on the same cruise why don't you join your Roll Call. Don't know what a Roll Call is, then read here.

There are only 3 Summit cruises to New England/Canada in 2016. Just select the right one and come on over and post a brief introduction:

Roll Calls for 2017 cruises already have been started.

SBtS (cruising 9/4)

The new outdoor movie venue on M class ships is at the aft most area of the uppermost deck. :)

It is not in the middle of any area(s) used for any other purpose(s). :cool:

If you don't enjoy the idea of an outdoor movie, or the area... JUST DON'T GO THERE. :rolleyes:

Jeez...get a grip.

Perhaps you haven't sailed on Princess with MUTS. On those ships you can't "JUST DON'T GO THERE" because it takes over the main pool deck -- all day long! Apparently Celebrity has implemented it better, which was what OP was asking about. But reports vary as to whether it has ruined the AQ cabins on deck 11 -- so this is a reasonable discussion that will continue. :roll eyes:back at cha

We sailed on a ship with the screen by the pool. LOVED it the first morning, watched CNN and drank coffee, it was pleasant.

We decided to watch the evening movie but didn't enjoy that experience.

1. Audio was not good on scenes where voices were subdued.

2. People are CONSTANTLY walking through the area and it's distracting.

3. Because it's outdoors by the pool people felt free to talk during the movie.

From the sounds of things Celebrity may have improved the concept, I'd be willing to try it, and if you don't like it, don't go up there, not much else in that part of the ship.

Big screen movies seem to be a nice idea for a mostly unused area at night. I have watched football on the big screen on Royal Caribbean and if not cold or rainy, it was okay.

Celebrity's as I have read about it is a smaller private area and will be serving food for a charge, thus I won't be going, (I don't think :roll eyes:). No need for me to spend even more money on food.

Cruise lines are appealing and marketing to a broad based demographic that seems to want to have everything they have at home.

Edited by shipshape sam

As an experienced Princess cruiser, MUTS is one of the things that we now dislike about Princess. I say now because when MUTS started out it was Movies Under The Stars.....and now it's Movies Under The Stars/Sun. It seems like they show something on the screen all day long - with the volume cranked up to uncomfortable levels.:eek:

I don't know what it is about today's society that silence or quiet is to be avoided and filled with racket.

Big screen movies seem to be a nice idea for a mostly unused area at night. I have watched football on the big screen on Royal Caribbean and if not cold or rainy, it was okay.

Celebrity's as I have read about it is a smaller private area and will be serving food for a charge, thus I won't be going, (I don't think :roll eyes:). No need for me to spend even more money on food.

Cruise lines are appealing and marketing to a broad based demographic that seems to want to have everything they have at home.

As an experienced Princess cruiser, MUTS is one of the things that we now dislike about Princess. I say now because when MUTS started out it was Movies Under The Stars.....and now it's Movies Under The Stars/Sun. It seems like they show something on the screen all day long - with the volume cranked up to uncomfortable levels.:eek:

I don't know what it is about today's society that silence or quiet is to be avoided and filled with racket.

Yep. The neighbors behind us have a big screen TV on the back wall of their house. They watch mainly football and basketball and listen to music. They are about 250 feet away, and the picture is not a problem. The noise is.:(:eek: Some evenings we do not relax on our screened porch because of the volume of the noise.

The place I dislike most are the restaurants that play loud music, and construct their interior space to reflect noise. I guess screaming to be heard is fun to many people.:eek:

It will be interesting to see what the people in the AQ cabins near the X screen think about the noise. I just found a thread on this site where some people in those cabins said it made their balcony unusable.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2335884

Edited by dd214