X copies the worst of Princess (MUTS)

dd214

We have sailed on Princess one time. One of the things we disliked was MUTS (movies under the stars). It pretty much makes the pool deck unusable for anything else where communicating with others is expected/desired.

We have booked a cruise on the Summit to New England, and I just discovered X has put it's version of MUTS on that ship.

I would like to hear from others who have sailed on a X ship that has MUTS.

Did you like it?

Are the movies only at night?

Is the volume loud or do they use small local speakers like a drive-in theatre or ear pieces?

Any other pros or cons about Celebrity's version of MUTS.

We do typically go to at least two movies in a theatre on a cruise, and we go to movies when we travel and near our home.

I understand that there are many people who enjoy the outdoor theatre on Princess, and I'm sure many will enjoy it on X.

The movies on the Summit are not shown on the pool deck. They are shown in a small, intimate area at the back of the ship above the Deck 11 Aqua cabins and I believe only at night. Not much point at other times of the day because it's not a high traffic area.

So far the only reports I have seen have been positive.

Did a princess TA yrs. ago when X was sold out. Bunch of people laying around pool deck under blankets with popcorn all over.Kind of noisy as I recall too.Only at night.

Edited by zoncom

My group LOVES MUTS. We sail the Caribbean to enjoy the ocean and the nice weather. We love being out on deck enjoying a good movie, vs being in a cave-like small theater inside the ship. I can go to a theater any time at home, but I can't enjoy a movie out on the ocean. However, I do agree that it should be evening only.

It's always so nice to relax with ocean breezes to enjoy a movie we have not seen before. There are tons of places to relax and enjoy quiet talk elsewhere-if watching a movie is not your thing.

I did fall asleep during "Frozen", but it was just toooo cozy!

Bernadette

We were in cabin 1141 on Infinity for Panama Canal/South America itinerary. We couldn't distinguish noise from Oceanview Bar from Rooftop Terrace. Neither could anyone else we talked to. On the flip side, we couldn't hear noise from Rooftop Terrace while sitting at Oceanview Bar.

Everyone we talked to were pleased with the new venue. It's nothing like Princess' MUTS.

For pictures and further discussion, read my Infinity Rooftop Terrace review.

We were in cabin 1141 on Infinity for Panama Canal/South America itinerary. We couldn't distinguish noise from Oceanview Bar from Rooftop Terrace. Neither could anyone else we talked to. On the flip side, we couldn't hear noise from Rooftop Terrace while sitting at Oceanview Bar.

Everyone we talked to were pleased with the new venue. It's nothing like Princess' MUTS.

For pictures and further discussion, read my Infinity Rooftop Terrace review.

That is good to hear. Seems like X did it right. An outdoor theatre without using a huge amount of space.

LOL, the next poster will probably say the noise was unbearable in 1143.;)

I HATE MUTS. I do not go to movies or video shows at home so I do not see why I should have to be forced to find a movie free area on a ship or be forced to watch the horrible stuff they project on the screen during the day. When Princess put MUTS on their ships, I stopped cruising on Princess and I will never cruise on any ship with movies shown in the public areas. Did I mention that I HATE MUTS.

I will add that I have absolutely no problems with movies on ships shown in enclosed areas as I can easily avoid these areas.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Add us to the list of non MUTS lovers. After 6 straight cruises with |Princess, the invasive noise of MUTS drove us to leave Princess for Celebrity and we have never looked back. We have no problem with movies, just found |MUTS too loud and downwind carrying way too far.

You really cannot compare the two. X version is not by the pool. It is a separate new area. I have not experienced X's version to comment. While I liked MUTS. It was not so loud that one could not hold a conversation. In fact it was quieter than the pool band and pool games. The nice thing about princesses' version is that there is another pool you can choose to visit if you do not like it.

I was just on the Constellation last week. They showed the movie against the wall on Deck 11 aft. It was a projector and some speakers - not a huge screen or anything. They put out some lounge chairs in groups of 2 with blankets on each and a small table for drinks. There was a small drink station at the back (similar to the one near the Poolside Grill).

It was nice even though the sound cut out in the last 5 minutes. If you weren't back there I don't think you'd even know it was going on - it was loud enough to hear but not so loud that you could hear it anywhere else.

They just did it one night, on the last night.

For us, the problem with Princess MUTS is that it evolved from perhaps, a nice idea, to watch an evening movie with family. Now, it's become a virtual non-stop auditory and visual assault!

On our last Princess sailing, the ginormous pool screen spewed music videos, sports, reruns of the Cruise Director's chats, and advertising for the on-board shops. All day long. We couldn't hear ourselves talk over the volume, even in the early morning. We gave up trying to have breakfast on that pool deck.

We sail more frequently now with Celebrity. MUTS is a factor.

The movies on the Summit are not shown on the pool deck. They are shown in a small, intimate area at the back of the ship above the Deck 11 Aqua cabins and I believe only at night. Not much point at other times of the day because it's not a high traffic area.

Then you haven't been reading all the threads on these boards. Many people staying in the aft AQ cabins on Deck 11 have complained about the noise. Everything from not being able to sit out on their balcony without being inundated with it, to 'infomercials' running at all hours of the day and night (4:00 am was mentioned in one post). I have not experienced it yet, but no, all the reports have been far from positive.

A friend of mine just came back from a Princess cruise. He says that he was probably the last one of all his friends to have seen the latest Star Wars movie. But he was probably the only one who has seen it on the big screen of a cruise ship somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Not a single seat was empty it was great!! :)

We have sailed on Princess one time. One of the things we disliked was MUTS (movies under the stars). It pretty much makes the pool deck unusable for anything else where communicating with others is expected/desired.

We have booked a cruise on the Summit to New England, and I just discovered X has put it's version of MUTS on that ship.

I would like to hear from others who have sailed on a X ship that has MUTS.

Did you like it?

Are the movies only at night?

Is the volume loud or do they use small local speakers like a drive-in theatre or ear pieces?

Any other pros or cons about Celebrity's version of MUTS.

We do typically go to at least two movies in a theatre on a cruise, and we go to movies when we travel and near our home.

I understand that there are many people who enjoy the outdoor theatre on Princess, and I'm sure many will enjoy it on X.

We watched several movies while on the Regal(Feb.7-21) We enjoyed them quite well. Kind of like being at the drive-in. Only issue was during the Super Bowl. We sat in 2 loungers & about 15 min. this total classless jerk came back & demanded we get the "Hell" out of his seat. We don't suffer chair hogs easily & it came close(and I mean close) to a brawl. The couple sitting next to us had been asked by this clod to tell anyone not to sit there. Unfortunately, they said nothing when we sat down.A shame as it could have avoided the entire argument.

With over 25 Princess cruises, MUTS has never, ever been a problem for us. We can talk around it and it's not too loud or obtrusive.

The M-Class version of MUTS is quite different in that it's not around the main pool area. I certainly wouldn't want a cabin anywhere near it but I haven't experienced it yet first hand so I'll have to see what others say about the noise in the meantime.

The new outdoor movie venue on M class ships is at the aft most area of the uppermost deck. :)

It is not in the middle of any area(s) used for any other purpose(s). :cool:

If you don't enjoy the idea of an outdoor movie, or the area... JUST DON'T GO THERE. :rolleyes:

Jeez...get a grip.

Edited by teecee60

Do they still have the small movie theater on one of the lower decks? I haven't sailed the Summit since 2005 and I know there have been a multitude of changes.

Bob

On our Princess cruises we enjoy MUTS to watch a movie at night. The problem is during the day when they blast concerts around the pool area. This drives us away to the aft pool, but that is usually full of smokers, so unless we can find a seat away from them we end up inside.