Too Much Dining Space Given to My Time?

I'm constantly hearing about people who want traditional dining being forced into MyTime, because Traditional is full. Despite this it seems that Royal is dedicating more and more of its dining room space to My Time. I'm wondering, what are the advantages to Royal for forcing people who want a traditional dining experience into the My Time experience? Why does Royal over-allocate My Time space? Has anyone been denied My a Time and was forced into Traditional?

In full disclosure, I prefer having a fixed traditional dining time, mostly because the show times are scheduled to coordinate with those fixed times. I also like making new friends by sharing the same dinner table with them throughout the week. I know some people prefer My Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing that comes to mind is the number of empty tables I see in traditional, most every night. Those tables cannot typically be used by folks in MTD waiting for tables, so the space goes wasted.

I don't think the current system (traditional and MTD) can last with the way it's currently implemented. I think they either go to an all MTD system, or give the traditional folks some set amount of time to get to their table, after which they lose that spot for the night and have to go to MTD if they still want to eat in the MDR.

I'm constantly hearing about people who want traditional dining being forced into MyTime, because Traditional is full. Despite this it seems that Royal is dedicating more and more of its dining room space to My Time. I'm wondering, what are the advantages to Royal for forcing people who want a traditional dining experience into the My Time experience? Why does Royal over-allocate My Time space? Has anyone been denied My a Time and was forced into Traditional?

In full disclosure, I prefer having a fixed traditional dining time, mostly because the show times are scheduled to coordinate with those fixed times. I also like making new friends by sharing the same dinner table with them throughout the week. I know some people prefer My Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Jewel the Traditional had the entire floor while the MTD just had the balconies above the Traditional on each side.

I've read many comments here on CC about people not being able to get into MTD and having to go to Traditional.

I've always enjoyed the traditional dining experience, but it seems like more and more of the "new" cruisers want MTD for flexibility.

And, well, the art of conversation is on the wane.

My impression is that many folks just don't want to eat with strangers anymore.

By default our booking for Legend was made with traditional dining, I had to specifically ask for MTD. If I hadn't done it then I wouldn't be able to do it now as MTD is full

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Do they get to use the tables 3 times a night in My Time?

I should think so if people don't linger. First guests at, say, 5:45, second guests at 7:15, third set of guests at 8:30 or so. It's definitely possible but since the grats are either prepaid or automatic, I don't really see the benefit of turning over tables that quickly (well, except that passengers don't have to wait so long).

Oh for sure Bob. But that's part of what I mean. There was a time when travel was about meeting others on your shared adventure and talking about it and learning about other's experiences. Today we want to do that on social media, not face to face :)

DH and I have sailed for the last 25+ years and were thrilled when MTD came about. For the most part, traditional dining for us was a bust. Many evenings of awkward conversations or complete silence between tablemates. With MTD, we can be by ourself but usually close enough to other tables for two to carry on conversations if we so choose. We also eat early enough to catch the shows. There have been a couple of times where we were waitlisted and didn't clear so back to tables with awkward conversations [emoji15]

DH and I have sailed for the last 25+ years and were thrilled when MTD came about. For the most part, traditional dining for us was a bust. Many evenings of awkward conversations or complete silence between tablemates. With MTD, we can be by ourself but usually close enough to other tables for two to carry on conversations if we so choose. We also eat early enough to catch the shows. There have been a couple of times where we were waitlisted and didn't clear so back to tables with awkward conversations [emoji15]

Agree, we switched to MTD after a few awkward tablemates, or complete no shows. We got tired of sitting at a large table basically on our own. We have asked to be seated with others in MTD but have never had the opportunity to. We find with the tables as close as they are with 2 we can talk to others if both tables are amenable. If we have a larger group we stick more to our own table. We can also get in and out of the dining room much quicker than traditional leaving us with more time for other activities. We do most of our conversations with others at the various venues.

Vision of the Seas Jan.11-Jan21/16:

One of us is diagnosed with diabetes (type 2) and it is very important for him to eat his meals at set times during the day/evening.

The MTD reservation staff was not very helpful with our seating request for 5.30 PM (his usual dining time) and initially we were told "well, he can order room-service or go and eat in the Windjammer". ( can you believe that????)

In short, it was only after we spoke with the hotel manager and the dining room manager we were given the 5.30 PM dining time at a table for 6 for the duration of the cruise and where we met the most wonderful dining companions.

I don't know what it is, but there's a problem with MTD in its current format.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

The only thing that comes to mind is the number of empty tables I see in traditional, most every night. Those tables cannot typically be used by folks in MTD waiting for tables, so the space goes wasted.

I don't think the current system (traditional and MTD) can last with the way it's currently implemented. I think they either go to an all MTD system, or give the traditional folks some set amount of time to get to their table, after which they lose that spot for the night and have to go to MTD if they still want to eat in the MDR.

NO Lets not do that, that is why MTD is so full, Traditional diners who miss their table then take two tables for the night. If you choose Traditional DO NOT wander over and take my MTD table, you had your choice and missed it. Please enjoy the buffet or any of the other food options, but to play both sides of the fence is disrespectful and rude IMO. If you card says Trad you should never be let in to MTD and it should be strictly enforced. MY 2 cents

I agree with you completely. We have been sailing a couple times a year since 1988. The first few years were fun meeting others but then we decided we liked having private dinners that made the experience better and more personal for us. We have been mostly sailing on Celebrity for the past 5 or 6 years and book Aqua class for dining in the Aqua class restaurant BLU. We always have a table for two, say hello to the people next to us, and then let conversations come and go in a natural flow. This way no one is insulted or offended. I know not everyone agrees (which is great) but this works for us.

Do they get to use the tables 3 times a night in My Time?

That is the goal.

We were once told by an officer who is involved with designing the food venues on the ships that they only put in enough seats on Quantum class to accommodate a 2.8 turnover rate. This has turned out to be too optimistic.

NO Lets not do that, that is why MTD is so full, Traditional diners who miss their table then take two tables for the night. If you choose Traditional DO NOT wander over and take my MTD table, you had your choice and missed it. Please enjoy the buffet or any of the other food options, but to play both sides of the fence is disrespectful and rude IMO. If you card says Trad you should never be let in to MTD and it should be strictly enforced. MY 2 cents

I definitely agree. My Time should not be an alternative for someone who has a Traditional seating.

We are being forced into My Time for our upcoming cruise on the explorer. We had traditional dining and wanted to upgrade our room and it resulted in us losing our dining time (even when they swore it wouldn't). Now we have My Time at the same time every day but I greatly prefer traditional.

That is the goal.

We were once told by an officer who is involved with designing the food venues on the ships that they only put in enough seats on Quantum class to accommodate a 2.8 turnover rate. This has turned out to be too optimistic.

Are they planning on a lot of people not going to the evening entertainment? I kind of assumed everyone went to the shows, maybe they don't.

If one has traditional dining and is late, they may NOT go to MTD. It's strictly one or the other. Don't know why you think they can switch at will because they cannot.

My husband and I loved fixed traditional dining but always request a table for 2. Its not that we don't enjoy meeting others...we're more than happy to share a table at breakfast or lunch...but when we vacation its our chance to reconnect and have a week or so of 'date nights'.

We treasure those dinners-for-two. We've also never had an issue getting a table for two primarily because we are not picky about where the table is located.

This past cruise on the Serenade, we went to the dining room at embarkation to see our assignment. It was at a 10-top, definitely not what we wanted. We waited in line for a change and the crew member working the line seemed concerned when we asked for the deuce...until I said "I don't care where in the dining room it is". He said "Oh that will be easy then."

We ended up with a table literally right next to the staircase that went to the upper dining room, perhaps a bad location for some. We actually loved it as it was well out of the traffic area and felt like we had 'space' from the other tables.

Are they planning on a lot of people not going to the evening entertainment? I kind of assumed everyone went to the shows, maybe they don't.

I don't know what they were planning, and would love to have been a fly on the wall during those sessions. I just know they came to the conclusion that they did not have enough seats in the free dinner venues.

That's a shame in a way. We've always enjoyed dining with "strangers" and with very rare exception (maybe 3 times in 30 years) have always met fun and interesting people, a number of whom we've kept in touch with for years. Guess we're just old fuddie-duddies. We like traditional late seating and would be very disappointed if the "traditional" was done away with.

I've always enjoyed the traditional dining experience, but it seems like more and more of the "new" cruisers want MTD for flexibility.

And, well, the art of conversation is on the wane.

I have zero desire to eat and converse with strangers.

That's a shame in a way. We've always enjoyed dining with "strangers" and with very rare exception (maybe 3 times in 30 years) have always met fun and interesting people, a number of whom we've kept in touch with for years. Guess we're just old fuddie-duddies. We like traditional late seating and would be very disappointed if the "traditional" was done away with.

I agree, and I wish there was a way to satisy both the traditional and MTD preferences, but I just don't see it, unless they make some significant changes in policy.

My husband and I loved fixed traditional dining but always request a table for 2. Its not that we don't enjoy meeting others...we're more than happy to share a table at breakfast or lunch...but when we vacation its our chance to reconnect and have a week or so of 'date nights'.

We treasure those dinners-for-two. We've also never had an issue getting a table for two primarily because we are not picky about where the table is located.

Yes, exactly. I want to enjoy our dinner in private, just the two of us.