Gratuities question for 3 year olds..

Hey everyone,

We will be travelling on the Harmony of the Seas. Gratuities are increasing very soon. Travelling with 4 adults and 2 x three year olds.

Questions

1-do you think we should prepay to lock in the rate? i realize the increase isnt a crazy increase by any means.

2-what is usual and customary for tipping for 3 year olds? the same amount as adults? do you give camp extra?

3-am i allowed to pre pay for gratuities now and pay full for 6 adults but only pay half amount for kids, or will RCI charge me later on? were going through a travel agent, not RCI directly

thank you!

Gratuity rate for children is the same as for adults. We never tipped the Kid's Club counselors.

You can prepay all gratuities now, to save on the increase. I don't think you can split it.

Hey everyone,

We will be travelling on the Harmony of the Seas. Gratuities are increasing very soon. Travelling with 4 adults and 2 x three year olds.

Questions

1-do you think we should prepay to lock in the rate? i realize the increase isnt a crazy increase by any means.

2-what is usual and customary for tipping for 3 year olds? the same amount as adults? do you give camp extra?

3-am i allowed to pre pay for gratuities now and pay full for 6 adults but only pay half amount for kids, or will RCI charge me later on? were going through a travel agent, not RCI directly

thank you!

1. Up to you.

2. RCI charges the same for everyone regardless of age. camp is at your own discretion; base it on how many activities/how much time they use the camp. The staff there is not in the tip pool so sure they would appreciate it.

3. If you want to pay a lower amount for the children you have to request that when you are onboard the ship; can't do that before hand.

thanks everyone, so given that....is it typical to just go with it and pay the same gratuities for 3 year olds as adults? or do people adjust it at the end? im surprised the counselors arent in the tip pool maybe we will def tip extra esp if they use the camp a lot

thanks everyone, so given that....is it typical to just go with it and pay the same gratuities for 3 year olds as adults? or do people adjust it at the end? im surprised the counselors arent in the tip pool maybe we will def tip extra esp if they use the camp a lot

Most people consider gratuities a service charge and just pay it.

Counselors aren't in the tipping pool because they receive a decent salary, unlike the service employees who are in the tipping pool.

They aren't in the tip pool because such a small percentage of people use the services; not fair to charge everyone for the service. Also, they all are degreed (usually in Education) and are paid rates for what they are worth. They are not just baby sitters.

As to whether people just "go with" the full rates for children I can't say. That's a decision you can adopt a wait and see stance to the services on board.

It baffles me that "do kids pay the same gratuities as adults" is even a question. They are using a bed in the stateroom that has to be made up (and put up/down (or in/out if sofa bed)) every day just like adults. They eat at the table and have food brought to them - and often even cut up for them - by the waiters - just like adults (though I haven't seen servers cutting adults' food, I guess it's possible). Their messes are cleaned up by the cabin stewards and dining room servers - just like adults. Why should they pay less when they are using the same cabin and dining services the adults will use??

I don't know, maybe my family is just weird, or maybe times really have changed with the sense of entitlement pervading so much of society now. But when I was in 6th grade back in the 80's, we took a family cruise on the Emerald Seas thanks to a "kids sail free" promotion, and it never crossed my parents' minds that the "per person" gratuity amount didn't apply to my sister and me.

Honestly if anything we were MORE doted on and taken care of by our cabin steward (he was forever hiding our stuffed animals and/or putting them in cute positions when he did the turndown service) and our dining room team (our waiter in particular offered vinegar or something else to put on my massive sunburn after our second day in Nassau). And from what I've observed in my cruises as an adult, the children are still doted on and cared for even more - yet some people have this idea that they shouldn't pay as much tip-wise?

I don't get it.

Hey everyone,

Questions

thank you!

Apple, you have gotten very reasonable responses to your questions, so I have very little to add.

Yes, most people would just leave auto-gratuities in place for the six of you, and most would give something to the "camp counselors", depending on your actual experience during your cruise.

I feel that I should warn you. There are people on this forum who, as soon as they catch sight of the title of your thread, will attack.

Please just stop reading after my post, and go about your business.

:)

It baffles me that "do kids pay the same gratuities as adults" is even a question.

I don't get it.

Some cruise lines charge different amounts for kids under 12, some charge different amounts for kids under 6. Some are free under 3. Some are free under 2. Every line has different policies. OP was just asking what is the lines policy.

DS is 5 and going on his 5th cruise. We have left the full gratuity on for him and have never considered lowering it. The staff has earned their tips with DS. He is a kid and spills food and makes much more of a mess than the most adults. The room steward sets up an extra bed for him nightly and puts it away in the morning. We have found staff to be extra attentive to kids and that they will really try to do a lot to make sure that their vacation is as great as the parents (from cutting up kids food in the dining room, to getting a cookie for dessert when a child doesn't want anything else, ect).

It baffles me that "do kids pay the same gratuities as adults" is even a question. They are using a bed in the stateroom that has to be made up (and put up/down (or in/out if sofa bed)) every day just like adults. They eat at the table and have food brought to them - and often even cut up for them - by the waiters - just like adults (though I haven't seen servers cutting adults' food, I guess it's possible). Their messes are cleaned up by the cabin stewards and dining room servers - just like adults. Why should they pay less when they are using the same cabin and dining services the adults will use??

I don't know, maybe my family is just weird, or maybe times really have changed with the sense of entitlement pervading so much of society now. But when I was in 6th grade back in the 80's, we took a family cruise on the Emerald Seas thanks to a "kids sail free" promotion, and it never crossed my parents' minds that the "per person" gratuity amount didn't apply to my sister and me.

Honestly if anything we were MORE doted on and taken care of by our cabin steward (he was forever hiding our stuffed animals and/or putting them in cute positions when he did the turndown service) and our dining room team (our waiter in particular offered vinegar or something else to put on my massive sunburn after our second day in Nassau). And from what I've observed in my cruises as an adult, the children are still doted on and cared for even more - yet some people have this idea that they shouldn't pay as much tip-wise?

I don't get it.

Perhaps you should practice what you perhaps claim to preach in the umbrella of your values..if you have nothing nice to say, dont say it :)

i was asking an innocent question as this is the first time my entitled family and i can afford to take a luxury cruise after working our patooties off over the last several years to pay off student loans, start a family, etc etc. Not saying not to share your opinion, heck, i asked a question looking for answers! but, there is a nicer way of saying things, that's all

end of point. many apologies for derailing for a moment there...thank you everyone for your input!

They aren't in the tip pool because such a small percentage of people use the services; not fair to charge everyone for the service. Also, they all are degreed (usually in Education) and are paid rates for what they are worth. They are not just baby sitters.

As to whether people just "go with" the full rates for children I can't say. That's a decision you can adopt a wait and see stance to the services on board.

That's not why they are not in the tip pool. They make a salary is why they are not included, but still receive tips from some people I'm sure.

I think sometimes people ask about kids' gratuities because they are thinking of them as though they are based on a percentage of the cruise fare, and 3rd and up in a cabin pay a lower fare. Since the gratuity is a flat fee for everyone based on cabin category, it applies

to all.

No need for a lecture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Apple, you have gotten very reasonable responses to your questions, so I have very little to add.

Yes, most people would just leave auto-gratuities in place for the six of you, and most would give something to the "camp counselors", depending on your actual experience during your cruise.

I feel that I should warn you. There are people on this forum who, as soon as they catch sight of the title of your thread, will attack.

Please just stop reading after my post, and go about your business.

:)

Thank you for looking out for me ;) (i did, however, see your post after i responded to one below) and i think i definitely have the answer to my questions, appreciate it greatly!

When our children were younger and utilized Adventure Ocean, we tipped the staff there extra. Our children spent quite a bit of time there as they loved it. We also tipped the adult rate for the week for them. They used the same services as the adults.....dining, shows, pool, etc.

I don't get it.

Obviously, people are different now a days. Some cruise lines don't charge gratuities for kids. Thanks to the kids sail free promotion you could cruise in the 80's, but you ridiculed people even asking about the policy and the norm of tipping to perhaps save a few dollars.

I don't get it.

Hey everyone,

Questions

thank you!

Just prepay them and don't worry about it. RCI took it out of our hands with the prepay or automatic payment option. No need to tip more, they've taken it out of our hands. Consider the tips part of the cost of the cruise and don't mess with them. Paying less through any means for any reasons means you're a cheapskate. If you don't like the cost, don't take the trip. Otherwise, "set it and forget it". Pay them and get on with life.

Obviously, people are different now a days. Some cruise lines don't charge gratuities for kids. Thanks to the kids sail free promotion you could cruise in the 80's, but you ridiculed people even asking about the policy and the norm of tipping to perhaps save a few dollars.

I don't get it.

My PARENTS decided to take us on a cruise because our first choice for spring break was ridiculously booked (the DC area) and we had been in a rented house since moving 4 years prior. They never questioned the gratuity amount as it was stated - we paid that (which incidentally was a lot more than the standard auto-fee now) and more without questioning it. That was my point.

Kids use the same if not more services. I don't see why it is even a question.

That is my right. Just like it's your right to think that kids shouldn't have to pay as much or anything.

Edited to add: I was ASKING why people even think it's a question. I wasn't ridiculing anyone. I never heard of cruiselines deducting amounts from kids' gratuities, so I legitimately didn't even know it's a thing for some lines. I've always seen it as "per person" and since kids are people, they pay too.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Edited to add: I was ASKING why people even think it's a question. I wasn't ridiculing anyone. I never heard of cruiselines deducting amounts from kids' gratuities, so I legitimately didn't even know it's a thing for some lines. I've always seen it as "per person" and since kids are people, they pay too.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=266

carnival 2 and under, not charged

NCL 3 and under, not charged

MSC under 3 is not charged; ages 3 to 12 are half price of adults

We paid full gratuities for my son who has cruised 3 times age 2 and younger. Up to you what you leave. I felt the crew earned it as he left a larger mess than most adults. And they really do go out of their way to help by getting high chairs and rushing their food in the MDR. He has used the nursery which is a pay service and we've tipped an extra $20 to the group at the end of the week. I assume they split all tips they get.

Hey everyone,

Questions

1-do you think we should prepay to lock in the rate? i realize the increase isnt a crazy increase by any means. personal choice

2-what is usual and customary for tipping for 3 year olds? the same amount as adults? do you give camp extra? the daily rate is for EVERYONE regardless of age. counselors are not included in that daily rate so it is up to you whether you feel they deserve anything

3-am i allowed to pre pay for gratuities now and pay full for 6 adults but only pay half amount for kids, or will RCI charge me later on? were going through a travel agent, not RCI directly nope. there is zero reason to cut any amount in half before you even board the ship. none whatsoever

thank you!

you will find in fact that the kids are spoiled rotten with MANY extra bits of attention lavished upon them.

there is never any legitimate reasons to justify lowering or eliminating Gratuities before you board. period. if you have issues while on board then you bring it up to the appropriate people THEN AND THERE to let them fix the issue. if and ONLY if there is no improvement could you MAYBE justify removing part of the charge.

children are just as much work, if not MORE so, than any adult on board.