Market Price

spidybabe

We are cruising in June to Portland, halifax, and Bay of Fundy and looking at places to eat. Every menu states " market price" for lobster- whole and rolls, We realize the market does fluctuate, but are wondering approximately what market price is? Thanks for any info.

Safe sailing

We are cruising in June to Portland, halifax, and Bay of Fundy and looking at places to eat. Every menu states " market price" for lobster- whole and rolls, We realize the market does fluctuate, but are wondering approximately what market price is? Thanks for any info.

Safe sailing

"Market price" is what is referenced when items vary in availability according to season. They are always available BUT they are more difficult to obtain thus, the price varies - more expensive in the "off" season and "less" expensive when "in" season. Much like farming, live creatures have their prolific seasons of growth and development too and plus there can be government restrictions on when fishing can take place (size restrictions too) so prices will always reflect the seasonal limitations.

Of course the closer one gets to Maine the better the prices are likely to get compared to most other places that lobster appears on the menu but nevertheless, the limits would still apply no matter where one might be in the world. Expect to enjoy some very delicious lobster up in these areas if you do decide to order some while in port! Enjoy :)

Market price can vary year to year, depending on lots of factors.

That said, June is a good month for me to get my live bugs, lately around $3-4 per pound. However, that is also a prime tourist month, so even with low wholesale prices, the price at restaurants will be higher than off-season. I don't have a lot of experience with buying lobster meals or rolls (we cook all our own for us and guests), but around June you could probably get a lobster roll for $10-12, and a 1-1/4 lb lobster meal for $16-18 at an "in the rough" place (picnic table style). Greater Portland prices.

Edited by chengkp75

Of course the closer one gets to Maine the better the prices are likely to get compared to most other places that lobster appears on the menu

Huh?

There is plenty of lobster in Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick depending upon the season.

Lobster fishermen are at the mercy of the buyers who are likely at the mercy of larger brokers.

In my area where the season runs from May 1 to June 30 the fishermen learn the price after their first day fishing and then it varies according to supply and demand.

I will recommend that you get your lobster in an area where they catch it and have it as simply as possible. This place near Peggy's Cove (Halifax) gets great recommendations: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g635951-d2252615-Reviews-Ryer_Lobsters-Indian_Harbour_Halifax_Region_Nova_Scotia.html

Edited by maryann ns

Huh?

There is plenty of lobster in Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick depending upon the season.

Lobster fishermen are at the mercy of the buyers who are likely at the mercy of larger brokers.

In my area where the season runs from May 1 to June 30 the fishermen learn the price after their first day fishing and then it varies according to supply and demand.

I will recommend that you get your lobster in an area where they catch it and have it as simply as possible. This place near Peggy's Cove (Halifax) gets great recommendations: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g635951-d2252615-Reviews-Ryer_Lobsters-Indian_Harbour_Halifax_Region_Nova_Scotia.html

Not sure where that poster is from, but from my viewpoint, NB, NS, and PEI are closer than most of the US. ;)

Huh?

Sincere apologies if my post sounded "off-base/generalized" and I realize I do not have my location enabled but I did not mean to exclude those Canadian locations (nor any part of Canada nearer to Maine) but I am in the United States. I spent nearly all my life in the Northeast - born in New England - and am new in the South. We always knew that lobster tasted better, cost less and was more plentiful up in Maine/environs.

Like any area that has special natural abundances, it just "is what it is" and people who are fortunate to live close enjoy those benefits. The rest of us enjoy it if/when we are able to - such as in this case when traveling. I was trust trying to help answer a question as to market prices - fluctuations - that's all. So sorry if I caused any unintended offense or upset as it was not my intention whatsoever...and enjoy that delicious sea food! :)

To the OP, as a former Maritimer (I grew up in Halifax) be prepared to be shocked that "Market Price" is usually significantly above what you can buy live lobster for (lobster pound, seafood shop,etc). I travel back to Halifax each year (as well as Maine) and unfortunately find the price at a restaurant 4-5 times higher.

Now that I live in-land I grin and bare it :rolleyes:

Just last summer, live lobster could be purchased for under $5 a pound yet the Lobster Restaurant with "Market Prices" was still over $20 for a 1 pound lobster and almost $30 for a 1 1/2 lobster.

Enjoy your trip.

To the OP, as a former Maritimer (I grew up in Halifax) be prepared to be shocked that "Market Price" is usually significantly above what you can buy live lobster for (lobster pound, seafood shop,etc). I travel back to Halifax each year (as well as Maine) and unfortunately find the price at a restaurant 4-5 times higher.

Now that I live in-land I grin and bare it :rolleyes:

Just last summer, live lobster could be purchased for under $5 a pound yet the Lobster Restaurant with "Market Prices" was still over $20 for a 1 pound lobster and almost $30 for a 1 1/2 lobster.

Enjoy your trip.

To be honest, though, restaurants try to keep food cost about 30-35% of the price, regardless of what meal it is, so the lobster prices are a little higher, but not by much. But anyone who lives here knows how easy it is to prepare a lobster, so the price seems out of line.

Yes, lobster is easy to cook yourself, so local people would not buy it in a restaurant. That is why I suggest places such as Ryer's where you get it prepared simply at a reasonable price.

If you want it in a restaurant on the Halifax waterfront you will pay more.

As has been said, Market price is the price/cost of obtaining said Lobster (or whatever fish you desire) and the added cost of preparing it and serving it. Obviously if they listed lobster at $20 on the menu and for some reason it costs them $20 to secure it, they couldn't sell it for said $20. So they put down 'Market Price' and hopefully they aren't trying to take advantage of the tourists.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the replies. Was trying to figure out budget for meals. I saw online lobster rolls range from $9- to $14. $12 in Halifax at Goldwater Lobster Shack(last year price)--this will be our first port, and our first lunch off the ship. And yes the prices I've seen are more than the prices here in NY, but I am expecting it to be much better tasting.

Thanks again

Safe sailing

The lobster roll at Fenway Park yesterday was "Market Price", even though they have magnetic price signs so they can change it daily at no cost. Quite annoying to have to ask how much you're going to have to pay.

As someone who spent years working in the restaurant industry, I can tell you that "market price" sometimes means "whatever we think you'll pay" and often has very little to do with the price the restaurant actually pays for lobster, fish, etc. Several years ago here in NYC Maine (or Canadian) lobster was selling (in retail fish markets) for under $7 a pound, but you would never have known that from the restaurant prices.

Edited by Langoustine

Keep in mind, the Canadian dollar is currently 78 cents US. We've been in Canada during those times when the loony was low and kept telling ourselves that, however much we spent for things like meals, we were getting about 22 percent off.

Keep in mind, the Canadian dollar is currently 78 cents US. We've been in Canada during those times when the loony was low and kept telling ourselves that, however much we spent for things like meals, we were getting about 22 percent off.

Although then if you're used to a low sales tax, our high sales tax makes that savings a wash :D