Packing...ugh

I pack for both myself and my DH. I find that choosing our outfits about two weeks before the cruise and packing a week before helps . I all ways have things come up the three or four days before our cruises. So, when I am packed before hand it takes the strain off me.

I have found packing to be the most stressful part of the cruise.

We leave tomorrow and cruise on Friday. I have been packing for about 3 days and finished late this afternoon. I pack for DH also.

I know I am forgetting something. I walk into a room and go" I want to take that." So, back in the suitcase shuffle I go.

Now, I am truly finished. Bags are in the car except for our overnight bags.

Whew. I really need to learn the art of light packing. But, a girl needs option.

I pack for the both of us but DH gives me his clothes. Get perverse pleasure playing Suitcase Tetris successfully.

Only get stressed actually going to port. Being in California one never knows what will shut down the freeway. Runaway dogs on a bridge or an airplane landing on a freeway were just two issues in the last week.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I hate packing too. I don't pack until the day before the trip but I have my outfits figured out weeks in advance (to make sure I have everything I need and dry cleaned).

The worst part of packing is getting my husband to pack his stuff. :) He waits till the last minute.

I keep a master packing list saved on my computer with all the essentials as well as both cold and warm weather clothes, and then tailor it to each individual cruise, starting at least a month out. This gives me time to try on clothes to make sure they fit, get them laundered and order/buy anything new I might want or need.

I don't like to pack ahead of time though. I will hang everything in a separate closet or otherwise set it aside, but packing always gets done the night before. I find that helps prevent wrinkling in clothes. With the list and having everything already in one place it goes super fast.

I keep a master packing list saved on my computer with all the essentials as well as both cold and warm weather clothes, and then tailor it to each individual cruise, starting at least a month out. This gives me time to try on clothes to make sure they fit, get them laundered and order/buy anything new I might want or need.

I don't like to pack ahead of time though. I will hang everything in a separate closet or otherwise set it aside, but packing always gets done the night before.

That's EXACTLY what I do. Master packing list in computer and I save a new version for each trip, deleting ski items for a cruise and so forth. If I think of extra odds and ends that I want on a particular trip I add to that trip's list. As the trip gets closer I plan out specific outfits and accessories. Sometimes the trip-specific list gets started months before but the actual packing isn't done til the day before I leave. At that point I lay everything out on my bed so I can see EVERYTHING that needs to go in the suitcase and I start packing.

I am really good at packing, and I try everything I can to be organized and efficient about it. But, I don't really enjoy it. It's my chore to do, and then I get to go on a trip somewhere!! :D

I just posted on another thread about staging my clothes ahead of time, dragging hubby to the closet a week before, etc.

What I'm really sick of is over packing. We always end up with these large, barely squeaking in at the max weight allowed by the airlines, suitcases: one for each of us.

Next year my bff and I are going to Europe on NCL. No formal nights is a plus for packing, and it's a hodge-podge of transportation. Since we are pre-cruise in Barcelona, and post-cruise in Venice and Rome, we MUST pack light. We agreed it was going to be carry-on only to the lowest weight and size specs for one of the airlines we are taking.

So, I did a "fake pack" a few weeks ago to make sure I could actually do this before I start looking at airfare. I was amazed at what I could take for a 16 day trip in a carry-on 21" suitcase!!! Gives me food for thought for future cruises with hubby.

See, I've been buying very lightweight tops over the last several years for day, evening, and formal. What I ended up doing was just packing MORE clothes because they weighed less! So, I ended up with the previously mentioned 50 lb suitcase.

I think I'm turning a corner in my packing habits!! :D

I am really good at packing, and I try everything I can to be organized and efficient about it. But, I don't really enjoy it. It's my chore to do, and then I get to go on a trip somewhere!! :D

I just posted on another thread about staging my clothes ahead of time, dragging hubby to the closet a week before, etc.

What I'm really sick of is over packing. We always end up with these large, barely squeaking in at the max weight allowed by the airlines, suitcases: one for each of us.

Next year my bff and I are going to Europe on NCL. No formal nights is a plus for packing, and it's a hodge-podge of transportation. Since we are pre-cruise in Barcelona, and post-cruise in Venice and Rome, we MUST pack light. We agreed it was going to be carry-on only to the lowest weight and size specs for one of the airlines we are taking.

So, I did a "fake pack" a few weeks ago to make sure I could actually do this before I start looking at airfare. I was amazed at what I could take for a 16 day trip in a carry-on 21" suitcase!!! Gives me food for thought for future cruises with hubby.

See, I've been buying very lightweight tops over the last several years for day, evening, and formal. What I ended up doing was just packing MORE clothes because they weighed less! So, I ended up with the previously mentioned 50 lb suitcase.

I think I'm turning a corner in my packing habits!! :D

We have been using two 21 inch and two 19 inch roll on suitcases for our cruises. I could most likely get by with three cases, but I like having extra space to take home things I but.

I also could not believe what I could fit into them. I even got my DH's tux and two tux shirts in with no trouble. Of course, I had more clothes the him. We did have an advantage cruising on Princess with the free laundry. Every day our clothes went out. I could have gotten by with out doing that, but DH needed to do that. We carried out bag on and off the ship. I loved having our bags with us and being able to unpack as soon as we get to our cabin.

What I'm really sick of is over packing.

Next year my bff and I are going to Europe on NCL. No formal nights is a plus for packing, and it's a hodge-podge of transportation. Since we are pre-cruise in Barcelona, and post-cruise in Venice and Rome, we MUST pack light. We agreed it was going to be carry-on only

You can do it! Last year I did a 10 day trip to Italy with a 20" rollaboard bag and a tote bag. Plan on basic pieces in neutral colors that you can layer and that all mix and match with other. If everything coordinates color-wise, you can put together a lot of different outfits and it also limits the number of shoes you have to take. Also plan on having laundry done a couple times.