Why I am glad I had the premium drink package...

DaisyFire

While there were some slight variations from day to day and differences between port days and sea days, this is a pretty good representation of how I benefited from having the premium drink package - and why, for me, it may even be worth it to purchase even if I do not have it as an included perk...

The prices I list are averages and include a tip for the server/bartender.

Café Al Bacio – 1 coffee a day ($7)

Drinks during the day - 1 @$10 (probably not on port days)

Wine with dinner (2 glasses – one each for appetizer and main course paired by sommelier) ($30) [in reality - since the sommelier kept my glass filled, I really had more like 1.5 - 2 glasses with each course which would cost more if paying without the package.)

specialty dessert coffee - $9

Drink for show or out dancing - $11

Soda or tonic with lime (2) $8

Sparkling or bottled water by the pool $10

Total - ~$78 per day; Cost for Premium package - $76.70 (includes 18% gratuity)

Some days I may have had more, other days less - but in the end, my drinking habits seem to be a pretty good match for the premium package and I like that I didn't need to stop and think about cost - especially when pairing wines with dinner and getting my glass refilled by the sommelier.

Cheers! :)

Was it the premium package you had? Couldn't you have drank the same with a classic package?

Some of it - but not everything. In particular the wines. My SIL who did not upgrade to premium basically had one choice of white each night for dinner - while I had a chance to try out several different wines - many of which I would not have thought to pair with my food.

Also I like the premium level waters as well.

As has been stated elsewhere on the boards, the main reason to upgrade from classic to premium is wine, craft beer and specialty waters. (And martinis from the Martini Bar)

Otherwise, you can be very happy with the classic package :)

Was it the premium package you had? Couldn't you have drank the same with a classic package?

I started with the classic and upgraded to the Premium the 3rd day of our 10 day cruise. Some of the things mentioned would be included with the classic, others not. The big difference is in the quality of wine covered, the sparkiling water and the types of beer. For me it was worth it just for the wine and beer. You could survive with the classic, but if you enjoy wine you would likely be dissapointed in the offerings.

Had the classic last two cruises and while I was okay with that I constantly felt limited and overly cautious with what I ordered. Even the waiters are not correct on pricing and actually had a drink one night after asking for confirmation of price and told it was priced to be included in Classic. Loved the drink and got another, when another person with me decided to try it all of a sudden the waiter informs me it is more than he thought. Crazy. He made sure I was not charged for it but this is the stuff that takes away from enjoying the Classic and I really want to be able to try any drink on the menu and not second think it and if more than allowed it will just cost me the difference.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and looking forward to enjoying it the next cruise I book as I will upgrade for sure.

For me the premium is well worth it. Pretty much the only time I drink is on a cruise.

I usually have a cappuccino in the morning followed by a mimosa (or 2) then during the day 6 or 7 frozen drinks. At dinner sparking water and wine. Then a couple drinks during the shows then head to the martini bar for 3 or 4 martinis. If I didn't have the package I would be watching everything I drink.

I only cruise once a year and give my liver a year to recouperate.LOL

Laura

I am fascinated by the need to drink this expensively on a vacation. We just got off the Eclipse 2week Caribbean cruise. We don't drink soda, the "regular" coffee is the same kind we drink at home and 2 cups at breakfast is it for the day, We buy our bottled water on shore at ports at half the cost, we drink the ship desalinated water at meals, sometimes a beer or glass of wine at lunch and 2 glasses of wine at dinner - since we have no cost limits, it is whatever we want. Sometimes we buy a bottle of wine which lasts more than one meal. Occasionally, we might have an after dinner drink - no limits. The most we spent in one day was less than $50 for TWO of us. Beverage packages of any kind are no bargain for us. Just saying.

The OP has touched on two sometimes overlooked advantages of the premium package. The specialty coffees at al Bacio (especially the Aspen) are heaven. So is the convenience of not having to figure out prices and worry about budgeting. We buy our upgrade well in advance so the money is spent and long forgotten by the time we board.

Now, if only X can find a way to simply take our order and serve (like Regent)

we'd be even more satisfied.

I am fascinated by the need to drink this expensively on a vacation. We just got off the Eclipse 2week Caribbean cruise. We don't drink soda, the "regular" coffee is the same kind we drink at home and 2 cups at breakfast is it for the day, We buy our bottled water on shore at ports at half the cost, we drink the ship desalinated water at meals, sometimes a beer or glass of wine at lunch and 2 glasses of wine at dinner - since we have no cost limits, it is whatever we want. Sometimes we buy a bottle of wine which lasts more than one meal. Occasionally, we might have an after dinner drink - no limits. The most we spent in one day was less than $50 for TWO of us. Beverage packages of any kind are no bargain for us. Just saying.

Glad we can fascinate you. Just saying. :)

Edited by poffles

This just shows that it is very subjective as to whether the premium package is worth the price or not. My drinking habits are more similar to yours, so for me upgrading is not worth it. DH on the other hand, while not a big drinker, likes the nicer wine and trying all the special martinis and so on. He also drinks lots of Diet Coke during the day (I know we could carry it on - we used to - but it is a hassle), so that is good for him as well. So on our trips, he upgrades and I do not. Everyone is happy.:D

Good information about the packages. Wasn't sure wheter to upgrade on our next trip but you have made up my mind to definitely take the upgrade. (Thank goodness for OBC!) DH is a craft beer drinker and we love trying different wines. Plus I'm traveling with my sister, there WILL be martinis involved :D

The OP has touched on two sometimes overlooked advantages of the premium package. The specialty coffees at al Bacio (especially the Aspen) are heaven. So is the convenience of not having to figure out prices and worry about budgeting. We buy our upgrade well in advance so the money is spent and long forgotten by the time we board.

I have always heard that specialty coffees are included in the Classic package. Has there been a change just recently?

Cool.

I have always heard that specialty coffees are included in the Classic package. Has there been a change just recently?

They are...DH and I both had the classic in Feb on the Summit and enjoyed many specialty coffees without needing the premium package. Loved the Aspen as well as mudslides, frozen drinks around the pool, double cointreaus and Bailey's in the theatre and a variety of white wines at dinner. Never had a problem finding something included in the package and the sommelier was very good at finding me wines I'd like and keeping my glass filled :D In fact, there were wines that I enjoyed that I've never seen on a list...no idea how much they were per glass or bottle so it goes to show that not all wines available are on a posted list.

If you don't plan to drink martinis, or visit the Molecular or World Bar, then it would be my advice to try the Classic for a few days and upgrade if you feel like you want more options. YMMV

Specialty coffee's ARE included BUT this example is an Aspen coffee which has 2 or 3 kinds of liquor in it and is not included with classic. Easy answer, no liquor its included with classic, liquor in the coffee its not.

Specialty coffee's ARE included BUT this example is an Aspen coffee which has 2 or 3 kinds of liquor in it and is not included with classic. Easy answer, no liquor its included with classic, liquor in the coffee its not.

That's not our experience. We enjoyed several different specialty coffees, all with alcohol, included on our Classic package.

I think this is a misconception. Remember, mixed drinks contain spirits too, and they're included. I'll report back in May as to whether or not Aspen coffee was available on my Classic package.

I had the classic, fully intending to upgrade with OBC while on board last week. But somehow I never did. Everything I wanted was on classic - and more. I ran out of sail days before I got through my wish list of drinks and I had several each day. Note to self - book a longer cruise next time. ;)

I really like the liquor brands on classic - Absolute, Barcardi, Cuervo Gold, etc are all pretty decent names - not cheap bottom of the barrel choices by any means. The wines are a bit limited, but were great for me. In the end, I decided trying a martini or two just wasn't worth upgrading this time around.

Now if the Molecular Bar was still there, whole other story. I definitely would have upgraded - as I never got to experience that. It was gone by the time our sailing date arrived. World Class bar was always dead when I passed by and didn't appeal to me at all. Hoping they come up with a diff concept. Maybe I'll try premium on the next sailing.

Now if they'd throw in a few mini bar drinks or offer room service drink delivery for premium, that would be a great reason to upgrade! :D

Aspen has always been covered by the classic package (i did i think 3 cruises in different ships under classic and got the Aspen every time). I upgrade for 3 reasons: the martini bar (while I can do with the choices for other cocktails in classic, I enjoy the blue and indulgence martini, I like the kendall kackson pinot only on premium (having premium gives me a chance of trying other wines) and I love my perrier/ pellegrino waters (i think i drinkthis more than regular water)