Discarded Cigarette starts fire today on Dawn Princess

LMaxwell

In my not so humble opinion;), smoking shouldn't be allowed on the ship, period. If one needed a quick fix, they're more than welcome to light up in the space provided - about 5 feet off either the port or starboard sides of the ship.:)

Since it was in a stairwell it will most likely have been caused by a crew member. If they can figure out who it was you can bet that person will be out of a job and may have to find their own way home as well.

If they could show it was caused by a specific passenger they will likely be banned for life.

I think one of the smartest things I ever did in my life was to quit smoking. One of the stupidest things I ever did in my life was to start.

I find it interesting the cigarette was in a stairwell. I don't recall them being designated smoking areas. Maybe a crew area?

Even crew ladders (stairwells) are not smoking areas. However, the fact that the butt was "swept up into a broom" makes me think this was on a non-carpeted stairwell, which would be a crew ladder.

Since it was in a stairwell it will most likely have been caused by a crew member. If they can figure out who it was you can bet that person will be out of a job and may have to find their own way home as well.

If they could show it was caused by a specific passenger they will likely be banned for life.

I think one of the smartest things I ever did in my life was to quit smoking. One of the stupidest things I ever did in my life was to start.

Here here!! :D

If you are going to ban smoking on ships then you will need a whole new crew - 80% of all crew I know are smokers

I am sure there are plenty of crew who would give up smoking to keep their jobs and if not replace them. Companies do not have to hire people who smoke on their own time which so far is legal.

I am sure there are plenty of crew who would give up smoking to keep their jobs and if not replace them. Companies do not have to hire people who smoke on their own time which so far is legal.

Well, since the only employment laws that matter are those from Bermuda, and I have no idea whether employers can ban smoking by their employees in Bermuda. However, most crew are covered by collective bargaining agreements, so a ban on smoking would have to be approved by the crew unions as well as the company. Finally, since the Maritime Labor Convention of 2006 (MLC 2006), which is the international law that covers the employment, living conditions, and welfare of all mariners, specifies in Guideline B3.1.11-4(a) that the shipowner should provide a smoking room for crew, I don't believe that any cruise line could ban smoking of the crew.

On the Ruby, our cabin was practically under the bridge on the Caribe deck. The deck above us were crew quarters. We got the constant smell of cigarette smoke. When we asked our room steward about it, he said that crew members go to the front of the ship a deck above us and smoke. It then drifted down to our cabin. I was waiting for a fire to happen. That's the only thing that worries me on a ship.

Yep, me too. I'm very thankful that I survived lung cancer, at 24. After not smoking for 40+ years, I came down with COPD a couple years ago.

Well, since the only employment laws that matter are those from Bermuda, and I have no idea whether employers can ban smoking by their employees in Bermuda. However, most crew are covered by collective bargaining agreements, so a ban on smoking would have to be approved by the crew unions as well as the company. Finally, since the Maritime Labor Convention of 2006 (MLC 2006), which is the international law that covers the employment, living conditions, and welfare of all mariners, specifies in Guideline B3.1.11-4(a) that the shipowner should provide a smoking room for crew, I don't believe that any cruise line could ban smoking of the crew.

They just need to do it and then fight it out in court...probably not that big a deal...they probably need better unions if they cannot get a living wage but they do get a smoking room....nothing is impossible and I am sure that would soon become my favorite cruise line and others too....;)

If it was in a stairwell that's obviously a no smoking area. So Princess needs to vigorously maintain what are safe smoking areas and what are not, regardless of passenger or crew. If passenger put them off the ship. If crew terminate their contract. It's Princess's ship and they can set whatever sanctioned smoking areas they deem appropriate.

They just need to do it and then fight it out in court...probably not that big a deal...they probably need better unions if they cannot get a living wage but they do get a smoking room....nothing is impossible and I am sure that would soon become my favorite cruise line and others too....;)

Not to do the unthinkable and divert a smoking thread to a tipping/wage thread, but who says they are not paid a "living wage". May be poverty level to you, but in their country its a pretty fair income.

Since both Bermuda and the US are signatory nations to the MLC 2006, there is "enabling legislation" that makes the international guidelines into law, in both countries. Therefore, any crew member could sue the cruise line in US court for violation of the MLC, and surely win, since it is in law, and how many scum sucking maritime lawyers are there in Miami just looking for a good "crew maltreatment" case?

Until you start having US flag cruise ships, you cannot impose US morality on foreign ships and foreign crews.

Even crew ladders (stairwells) are not smoking areas. However, the fact that the butt was "swept up into a broom" makes me think this was on a non-carpeted stairwell, which would be a crew ladder.

This happens quite often.

A lit butt is swept up and then put into a trash container.

Quite right. My point was that a broom was used rather than a vacuum cleaner, which would imply a hard surface like a crew stair, rather than a carpeted passenger stair.

Quite right. My point was that a broom was used rather than a vacuum cleaner, which would imply a hard surface like a crew stair, rather than a carpeted passenger stair.

IMHO -You are 100% correct.;)

Uncarpeted stair well (aka ladder) indicates a crew area.

Not to do the unthinkable and divert a smoking thread to a tipping/wage thread, but who says they are not paid a "living wage". May be poverty level to you, but in their country its a pretty fair income.

Since both Bermuda and the US are signatory nations to the MLC 2006, there is "enabling legislation" that makes the international guidelines into law, in both countries. Therefore, any crew member could sue the cruise line in US court for violation of the MLC, and surely win, since it is in law, and how many scum sucking maritime lawyers are there in Miami just looking for a good "crew maltreatment" case?

Until you start having US flag cruise ships, you cannot impose US morality on foreign ships and foreign crews.

Staying off topic....

and another one for the record...I have had more than one crew member tell me they can make much more working on the ship then they can working and paying taxes in the U.S. Start asking crew members how many have family living in the U.S. u will be most surprised.

My brother-in law died last Wednesday, throat cancer , through treatment lost half his jaw, had plastic surgery skin taken from his leg put on his cheek, many chemo and radiation treatments, had a tube in his stomach to have liquids only, painful life and death, died at 63, will never see any grandkids. It such a waste. Congratulations on quitting.

Mary

On the Ruby, our cabin was practically under the bridge on the Caribe deck. The deck above us were crew quarters. We got the constant smell of cigarette smoke. When we asked our room steward about it, he said that crew members go to the front of the ship a deck above us and smoke. It then drifted down to our cabin. I was waiting for a fire to happen. That's the only thing that worries me on a ship.

I am very allergic to cigarette smoke. Last year on my first cruise, I just avoided the 'approved smoking areas'. But if there are areas where crew can smoke that might allow smoke to drift into cabins, I could be in trouble. We are in E601(Obstructed OV), Ruby Princess going to Alaska 5/8. Does anyone know if that cabin might be near where crew could be smoking?

I am very allergic to cigarette smoke. Last year on my first cruise, I just avoided the 'approved smoking areas'. But if there are areas where crew can smoke that might allow smoke to drift into cabins, I could be in trouble. We are in E601(Obstructed OV), Ruby Princess going to Alaska 5/8. Does anyone know if that cabin might be near where crew could be smoking?

I looked at the deck plan and you are mid ship. You will be fine. Your obstructed view are the life boats. We were in cabin C104. The deck above us was Baja. This is where many of the crew cabins are. Also, the stage performers go in and out those doors on Baja. DH and I walked up there to see if we could see where they were smoking. Evidently it opens up to a private deck for them and this is where the smoking took place. We usually smelled it in the early morning and late at night. We'll never book that far forward again. Smoking is permitted on the Promenade deck aft, so if you walk around the Promenade deck starboard, be prepared to smell cigarettes as people may be standing there smoking. I've even seen crew members smoking there.

Edited by elliair