LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Premier Sailings of the MS Koningsdam

LAFFNVEGAS

I was also on the Premier sailing. I did not notice any vibrations but my cabin was also on deck 6 midship.

I thought the food was good,not outstanding but no different than any other HAL voyage.

My issue with the MDR was the absolutely CHAOCTIC seating issue with having open and fixed mixed together on both decks.

I waited in line 15 minutes the first Gala evening to get to my fixed table for 8:00 seating.

I made my feelings strongly expressed onboard and was told this was an experiment to accommodate more pax.

I also noted this on the post cruise survey when I rated the dining room as 0 and unacceptable.

I am waiting to see if I get a reply from Guest relations,if not I will be sending an email,

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This new way they are trying absolutely WILL NOT work, I agree, it was terrible but it was low priority to some of the problems we had. The entrance to the Main Dining Room on both levels is not nearly as big as on all the previous ships. This will make for a huge bottle next attempt to go to the dining room on both levels. But the reason I think they did this is because there is just no room to stand and wait and no where to go send anyone to wait. So that is why they split up the Open dining to both levels so once they start handing out beeps not as many are waiting. There also appears to be a LOT LESS tables for two for both levels. :(

Hi Dave, In my opinion the quick answer is No. I am not sure if adding the Bar in the Restaurant was an after thought or it was meant to seat people while they wait to be seated for dinner. There is not much room to it and it is basically right in the Tamarind and you cannot just walk in there to have a seat at the bar. The same with the New Sushi Bar..

Perhaps the bar is there so the bar tender can quickly send drinks to the tables at dinner. Well, might help for revenue if you are sitting at table and think..."Hmmmmm, I'll have a whisky sour!"

The view might be nice in daytime but at night you won't see the windows and a row of backs sitting at the bar does not look nice for diners.

The Bar was definitely planned right from the window. It is in the old General Arrangement Plans. Perhaps it is OK if you come in early for dinner... as sometimes in the Silk Den.

We experienced vibration when sitting at the Panorama Bar area ..Nowhere else on the ship .

Our only complaint was the feeling of lack of a special event as we have done 2 previous Maiden Voyages with P&O out of Southampton.

Then every port we sailed in made the ship,s arrival and departure special too.

She is a lovely ship to be enjoyed by everyone .

We found all the crew very helpfull and the couple of problems we had were dealt with quickly and to our satisfaction.

As said food is very subjective ,but we had lovely meals and enjoyed the company of our fellow passengers in the MDR.

We also ate in Canaletto,Tamarind,and culinary art centre .

For the passengers looking forward to sailing on her we wish you a good holiday and hope you embrace Konningsdam and all she has to offer .

Hi Dave, In my opinion the quick answer is No. I am not sure if adding the Bar in the Restaurant was an after thought or it was meant to seat people while they wait to be seated for dinner. There is not much room to it and it is basically right in the Tamarind and you cannot just walk in there to have a seat at the bar. The same with the New Sushi Bar..

Thanks Lisa......will have to look for another quiet quaint getaway on the K'dam.

Capt. Albert said recently in his blog that one can just have a drink in Tamarind and not dine there.

They seem to serve a special Sake drink menu by the way.

Is the Sushi-bar a la carte?

Is there still sushi on the Buffet?

Edited by Despegue
Spelling

I was also on the Premier sailing. I did not notice any vibrations but my cabin was also on deck 6 midship.

I thought the food was good,not outstanding but no different than any other HAL voyage.

My issue with the MDR was the absolutely CHAOCTIC seating issue with having open and fixed mixed together on both decks.

I waited in line 15 minutes the first Gala evening to get to my fixed table for 8:00 seating.

I made my feelings strongly expressed onboard and was told this was an experiment to accommodate more pax.

I also noted this on the post cruise survey when I rated the dining room as 0 and unacceptable.

I am waiting to see if I get a reply from Guest relations,if not I will be sending an email,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean if you have fixed, you can't just walk in as normal? No wonder it was a mess!!!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Brad - one of my favorite bars on Euro and Nieux was the Silk Den and yes it has been incorporated into the Tamarind location.

So this ? - is this a bar that is still a great place to get away from the crowds or is it really meant more for patrons of Tamarind?

dave

You don't have to be eating in Tamarind. It's wrapped around the side and connected in part with Tamarind's bar. We never ended up in the bar side of things but I would have no issue doing so

Capt. Albert said recently in his blog that one can just have a drink in Tamarind and not dine there.

Correct

They seem to serve a special Sake drink menu by the way.

They do

Is the Sushi-bar a la carte?

You can tell it's designed to be. The bar menus also list some of the appetizers in Tamarind and sushi rolls with minimal cost ($2-6 I believe I saw?) but whether they are implementing that from the start I'm uncertain

Is there still sushi on the Buffet?

That one I'm not sure about but there is the Distant Lands station that has asian cuisine

I'm really sorry, Lisa, that you were disappointed in the food in the MDR. Food is an important part of any cruise, and to have it not up to par can leave a lasting impression.

Since we all have different tastes and are used to different kinds of cuisines, could you elaborate a bit on what you liked and didn't like? For instance, was it that the food was cold? Were things like steak tough or lacking in flavor? Were the offerings overly complicated and used flavorings that weren't either familiar or pleasing? Were the servings too large or small? Was there not enough of a choice? Did the offerings not seem fresh? I think you get my idea - In a nutshell, can you give me some ideas about why things weren't up to par in comparison to other cruise lines on which you've traveled or food that you would have expected?

Thanks so much - and thanks for the wonderful series of posts!

Thanks Lisa for more updates.

My DH is not a picky eater -- he will eat anything. But on our recent cruises, looking at the menus, he was not impressed with what was offered.

So -- not many tables for 2 in the main dining room -- not good.

That is too bad that the Tamarind restaurant has their bar in the restaurant.

I'm really sorry, Lisa, that you were disappointed in the food in the MDR. Food is an important part of any cruise, and to have it not up to par can leave a lasting impression.

Since we all have different tastes and are used to different kinds of cuisines, could you elaborate a bit on what you liked and didn't like? For instance, was it that the food was cold? Were things like steak tough or lacking in flavor? Were the offerings overly complicated and used flavorings that weren't either familiar or pleasing? Were the servings too large or small? Was there not enough of a choice? Did the offerings not seem fresh? I think you get my idea - In a nutshell, can you give me some ideas about why things weren't up to par in comparison to other cruise lines on which you've traveled or food that you would have expected?

Thanks so much - and thanks for the wonderful series of posts!

Basically it is overall quality of the food and the plain boring menus. The meats are of low grade and the have to soak or pour lots of tenderizer on the and the salt content is extremely high that the flavor of the food is salt only. The beef dishes were mostly grizzle. Even the Dive In that had great burgers were dried out and tasteless burgers, not at all the quality I had on my last two HAL cruises for just a burger.

We have sailed HAL since 2003 and loved the menus and quality for many years but have seen a big decrease in what is being offered. There was a time HAL was on the high end of mass market lines on what they spent per person for food, they are now on the low end and this has been confirmed to me by someone in high management.

What is quite interesting is that in recent years we have been sailing NCL and we have actually seen quality improve in their food. Our last cruise with them was in November and there was not a meal we had that we were not thrilled with. The Chilean Sea Bass in Cagney's was buttery and melted in you mouth. The Sea Bass I had in both Tamarind and Sel de Mer looked more like a Lake Bass not Sea Bass and tasted like Tilapia. Except the one in the Tamarind was not prepared well and was dried out with a glob of teriyaki that was also dried out. On the last Gala night with the steak and lobster, like mentions steaks could not even be cut yet tasted like it was soaked in Adolf's Meat tenderizer the Lobster, I never use the butter like the taste of just a plain lobster but it was so rubbery and salt I could not choke down a second bite. Over all just low quality food.

Basically it is overall quality of the food and the plain boring menus. The meats are of low grade and the have to soak or pour lots of tenderizer on the and the salt content is extremely high that the flavor of the food is salt only. The beef dishes were mostly grizzle. Even the Dive In that had great burgers were dried out and tasteless burgers, not at all the quality I had on my last two HAL cruises for just a burger.

We have sailed HAL since 2003 and loved the menus and quality for many years but have seen a big decrease in what is being offered. There was a time HAL was on the high end of mass market lines on what they spent per person for food, they are now on the low end and this has been confirmed to me by someone in high management.

What is quite interesting is that in recent years we have been sailing NCL and we have actually seen quality improve in their food. Our last cruise with them was in November and there was not a meal we had that we were not thrilled with. The Chilean Sea Bass in Cagney's was buttery and melted in you mouth. The Sea Bass I had in both Tamarind and Sel de Mer looked more like a Lake Bass not Sea Bass and tasted like Tilapia. Except the one in the Tamarind was not prepared well and was dried out with a glob of teriyaki that was also dried out. On the last Gala night with the steak and lobster, like mentions steaks could not even be cut yet tasted like it was soaked in Adolf's Meat tenderizer the Lobster, I never use the butter like the taste of just a plain lobster but it was so rubbery and salt I could not choke down a second bite. Over all just low quality food.

We have given up on MDR- too iffy and to loud and crazy. We still love our HAL and opt to eat in PG every night. the extra cost is worth our serenity.

Edited by frankc98376

We have given up on MDR- too iffy and to loud and crazy. We still love our HAL and opt to eat in PG every night. the extra cost is worth our serenity.

Can you tell me if the after dinner drink that is on the MDR menu each evening is also available in the PG?

We are leaving next week for the Christening Cruise. Were there any parts of the ship that were very cold? I am starting to pack and just wonder how many sweaters or shawls to take for the dining room or theater. Thank you for your helpful and informative reviews!

We are leaving next week for the Christening Cruise. Were there any parts of the ship that were very cold? I am starting to pack and just wonder how many sweaters or shawls to take for the dining room or theater. Thank you for your helpful and informative reviews!

I honestly do not remember one place being cold on the ship. I am one that hates portions of the Vista Class dining room because it is freezing or on many of the ships the Explorers Lounge is so cold it feels like a Meat Locker. But in all honesty that was never the case on the Koningsdam.:)

heya galley slave.......can you do me/us a favor and inquire about the Elite Beverage Package on the K'dam? Would really appreciate.

dave

heya galley slave.......can you do me/us a favor and inquire about the Elite Beverage Package on the K'dam? Would really appreciate.

dave

I can try to find out the info. We never buy beverage packages, so not sure where the source would be. Are those the ones they offer during check in?

I can try to find out the info. We never buy beverage packages, so not sure where the source would be. Are those the ones they offer during check in?

Based on what HAL Guest Services in Seattle told me yesterday, its only offered on the K'dam and pricing is only available on the ship.