LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Premier Sailings of the MS Koningsdam

LAFFNVEGAS

Based on what HAL Guest Services in Seattle told me yesterday, its only offered on the K'dam and pricing is only available on the ship.

I will start asking at Guest Services, if they send me somewhere else I will follow up with whoever has the info. I will let you know when we return in June.

I will start asking at Guest Services, if they send me somewhere else I will follow up with whoever has the info. I will let you know when we return in June.

I'd start by asking the bartender at my favorite watering hole. The one who knows best how it all works is the one who has to work it.

One last question. I know you had a Neptune Suite on the Koningsdam. In the bathroom, I'm sure there is a shower head in the stall shower, but is there also one for the Jacuzzi tub as there is on The Vistas/Signatures? It doesn't show in the HAL website schematic, nor could I see it in the photos you took.

Thanks!

One last question. I know you had a Neptune Suite on the Koningsdam. In the bathroom, I'm sure there is a shower head in the stall shower, but is there also one for the Jacuzzi tub as there is on The Vistas/Signatures? It doesn't show in the HAL website schematic, nor could I see it in the photos you took.

Thanks!

No, unfortunately if you take a shower you must use the shower. There is a hand held faucet/sprayer but at the lower tub level and no shower curtain. But in the Neptune Suite the glassed in shower is a nice size and about 7 inches wider than the previous shower in the Neptune. That cannot be said for the NEW Signature Suite on the Koningsdam. The tub is the same as the Neptune where you must use the glassed in shower stall but the shower stall is quite a bit smaller than the Neptune Suite. The Vista Suites are shower only with bathrooms the same as a regular balcony cabin.

I really loved this review and thank you for all of your hard work in getting us some information. The thing that I took away with me is the lack of deck chairs on the Promenade. That's a deal breaker for me. I love the long cruises that HAL offers and we spend a lot of time reading on the Promenade on other ships. We also enjoy NCL for it's different feel, but we have a harder time on NCL finding a quiet and shady spot to read. :)

but we have a harder time on NCL finding a quiet and shady spot to read. :)

NCL also doesn't have lots of places to sit on the promenade (suppose it depends which class of ships we're speaking about too) but it's sad to hear that Koningsdam is completely off the table for you due to one kind of furniture not being in one particular place. Especially when there are some great shady places outside to read. Happy cruising with whomever you find with that perfect combo

...it's sad to hear that Koningsdam is completely off the table for you due to one kind of furniture not being in one particular place. Especially when there are some great shady places outside to read.

Where are these "shady places outside" down near the waterline? So far I haven't heard of any.

Where are these "shady places outside" down near the waterline? So far I haven't heard of any.

The lack of classic seating on the promenade deck is a real deal breaker for me too. Besides being down near the water line, in the shade, that is one of the few places to escape the constant piped in music. Fortunately there are still lots of HAL ships that have this amenity.

Besides being down near the water line, in the shade, that is one of the few places to escape the constant piped in music.

Excellent point!

It's a shame that HAL is discontinuing so many of the things that made it a special way to travel. There used to be a way to enjoy long, lingering days at sea, then dressing up to go out at night and have a good time.

Going, going, gone.... :(

I really loved this review and thank you for all of your hard work in getting us some information. The thing that I took away with me is the lack of deck chairs on the Promenade. That's a deal breaker for me. I love the long cruises that HAL offers and we spend a lot of time reading on the Promenade on other ships...

Not quite a deal breaker, but I feel the same way. I much prefer the promenade deck to a balcony. The promenade is closer to the water, has wider views, and a choice of port/starboard and breezy/calm that you don't get with a balcony cabin. Koningsdam would have to have an outstanding itinerary for me to book a cruise on her.

Out of curiosity, do people think Hal simply ignored market advice on the type of promenade they built or do you think their research indicated that to keep up with the market they needed to change?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, do people think Hal simply ignored market advice on the type of promenade they built or do you think their research indicated that to keep up with the market they needed to change?

Based on a lot of people's comments on here I think they may believe HAL did it to personally spite them and/or piss off all the Mariners so they can start from scratch with a younger clientele... because both of those make so much sense :rolleyes:

Based on a lot of people's comments on here I think they may believe HAL did it to personally spite them and/or piss off all the Mariners so they can start from scratch with a younger clientele... because both of those make so much sense :rolleyes:

The second part has been crossing my mind, could it be Hal has decided mariners are not worth it? Sure they are regular but with all the discounts (and reading these boards complaints) is Hal trying to create a "new" more profitable market?

Edited to add: only thing against this view is why they wouldn't make this new ship no smoking?

Edited by teamflames

I'm not sure how you developed that interpretation. I don't hear people taking it personally, just remarking that certain aspects of the new ship don't appeal to them.

Clearly HAL did marketing studies. HAL's current target market is aging. But, it seems to me that HAL has always cultivated a classic, refined cruising experience. I don't see the efficacy of going for the clientele that cruises in mobs of 4 to 6,000 and wants wave pools and climbing walls. Hubby and I are booked on a 35 day cruise on the Rotterdam this summer. We'll spend sea days reading on the promenade deck. We just know the Koningsdam is not for us.

The second part has been crossing my mind, could it be Hal has decided mariners are not worth it? Sure they are regular but with all the discounts (and reading these boards complaints) is Hal trying to create a "new" more profitable market?

Edited to add: only thing against this view is why they wouldn't make this new ship no smoking?

I'm sure HAL values their Mariners- all businesses appreciate loyalty. Problem is that they need to start building new Mariners therefore making changes to appeal to a larger market.

As to your second point... Has been tried and failed.

Edited by frankc98376

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yes, they surely did not look at what Viking Ocean and Crystal is doing. If you look at the Carnival fleet, they just want bigger and 2-5 day cruises, not realizing that Hal fills a need at the midsize ships like Amsterdam, Volendam etc.

NCL also doesn't have lots of places to sit on the promenade (suppose it depends which class of ships we're speaking about too) but it's sad to hear that Koningsdam is completely off the table for you due to one kind of furniture not being in one particular place. Especially when there are some great shady places outside to read. Happy cruising with whomever you find with that perfect combo

Still cruising with HAL; just not on the Koningsdam if there is Promenade without "one kind of furniture" as you put it. There are plenty of Holland American ships who do provide that lovely atmosphere, so I'll stick with them.

I don't understand why anyone who doesn't even know me would be sad to hear that Koningsdam is "completely off the table" for me.:confused:

Edited by albingirl

It is my understanding that the design change was simply done so that more unobstructed veranda cabins could be added.

I'm not sure how you developed that interpretation. I don't hear people taking it personally, just remarking that certain aspects of the new ship don't appeal to them.

Clearly HAL did marketing studies. HAL's current target market is aging. But, it seems to me that HAL has always cultivated a classic, refined cruising experience. I don't see the efficacy of going for the clientele that cruises in mobs of 4 to 6,000 and wants wave pools and climbing walls. Hubby and I are booked on a 35 day cruise on the Rotterdam this summer. We'll spend sea days reading on the promenade deck. We just know the Koningsdam is not for us.

I think this reflects the type of comment WAside is referring to ... where is HAL targeting these mobs? There is no wave pool or climbing wall? Koningsdam to me seems to be a replica of an X ship ie modern sophistication. I am sailing her and it certainly isn't a 2-5 day cruise you discuss it is 21 days around the Baltic and Norway ie quite a sophisticated itinerary.

Based on the early reviews on CC I noticed it appears that HAL might be targeting a younger crowd to K who still appreciate a full wrap promenade for walking but don't necessarily need to lounge in that area.

It is my understanding that the design change was simply done so that more unobstructed veranda cabins could be added.
Bingo! About 80 more balcony cabins, even if they are at the lowest level.

I'm sure HAL values their Mariners- all businesses appreciate loyalty.

I'm not so sure you're right about that.

If what I have read is true---that HAL doesn't make a profit on sale of cabins, that the profit is from on-board spending, that Mariners don't spend as much on board as new cruisers---then I can believe HAL doesn't value their Mariners as much as we might like to believe.

So, looking into drawing in new passengers, giving them what HAL thinks they are looking for, and to heck with the long-term Mariners and the features they want, is more than a distinct possibility to my mind.

So, looking into drawing in new passengers, giving them what HAL thinks they are looking for, and to heck with the long-term Mariners and the features they want, is more than a distinct possibility to my mind.

Ruth - isn't that what all corporations do? HAL has to appeal to a broad range of customers, old and new. If not, there will be no HAL.

dave