Penny Pinching Just a Bit Too Far

Chunky2219

First, 844 is toll free. From Wikipedia:

United States[edit]

Main article: Toll-free telephone numbers in the United States

Toll-free numbers in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) are commonly called "800 numbers" after the original area code which was used to dial them. They include the area code 800 (since 1966), 888 (since 1996), 877 (since 1998), 866 (since 2000), 855 (since 2010), and 844 (December 7, 2013).[17] Area codes reserved for future expansion include 833, 822, 880 through 887, and 889.[18]

Second, You can always print them yourself as is noted on the X site. (I actually preferred the tags I printed to the ones that are mailed since they fit better into the plastic holders I bought on Amazon... about $12 for 8 which I will use again and again for cruises.)

Didn't bother to read where the OP was from or miss the part about that number only being toll free from INSIDE the US?

Didn't bother to read where the OP was from or miss the part about that number only being toll free from INSIDE the US?

Assuming your question was directed at me. And yes, obviously, I did not notice the location for the OP as my answer was US specific. It wasn't intentional and certainly not meant as a personal affront to anyone. I was just trying to post information that I thought would be helpful. (I know my son saw the 844 number that he had to call to check on some errant charges the other day and I had to point out to him that 844 was in fact toll-free... since I had already been down that path recently, I just provided the info I had on-hand.)

And, since it has already been pointed out several times that responses provided by several of us did not apply to those in the UK, I am wondering why you felt it necessary to call this out again? Perhaps you feel like this error is worthy of a public flogging? :confused:

Just print the tags on your home printer using colored ink with card stock paper and everything will be fine. Fold the tags as instructed over a handle on your bag. Then staple it and wrap transparent tape around the tag. It will not come off until you cut it off in your cabin. This is much better than the tags sent via mail anyway.

Yet again I will raise the question that has never been answered: what are the barcodes on the luggage tags mailed to guests used for? They are not on the tags you print yourselves and, I suspect [although we have never used them], the ones handed out at the port.

If the barcodes are important, those using other labels must risk delays to, or loss of, bags? If they are unimportant, why print them on the labels?

And, of course, if they are causing the issues with producing labels in the UK ...

ALL of the cruise lines are doing the same - many long before Celebrity - some - if travelling in a suite will still send you tags.

As someone else mentioned - you can buy the plastic wallet tags via amazon or ebay - they are also great for doubling up with your flight info incidentally.

Cruise pricing and free perks have made cruising much more affordable in recent years - I'd much rather have that, than high prices and wasteful glossy booklets.

The internet of course makes it much easier to explore ports and shorex - and indeed book online.

I only see pluses of moving to digital :)

Miami is still miffed about that tea Tax, that act passed by Parliament in 1773.

aaahh!!!! so that is why the tea on board is so awful and served undrinkable, it is a devishly clever plot to payback your cousins across the pond!!!! Revenge is a dish best served cold and in this case Celebrity stick exactly to that premise with their tea making skills.

Much ado about nothing. We just print them at home. When we get to the port,the porter attaches them and staples the ends together.We tip the porter one dollar per bag and we get our bags in a timely fashion.

I also print our travel information on a piece of paper and put it inside my luggage.I include the ship,date and cabin number so that on the chance that our luggage does get misplaced,it can be tracked down.

Yet again I will raise the question that has never been answered: what are the barcodes on the luggage tags mailed to guests used for? They are not on the tags you print yourselves and, I suspect [although we have never used them], the ones handed out at the port.

If the barcodes are important, those using other labels must risk delays to, or loss of, bags? If they are unimportant, why print them on the labels?

And, of course, if they are causing the issues with producing labels in the UK ...

I also wondered the same thing as I purchased the holders from Amazon but the tags Celebrity mailed to me have the bar code that would be covered if placed in the holders so I am unable to use them.

I have always thought it was funny that Celebrity talks about "conserving" the world through various cutbacks (like mailing luggage tags apparently)(and if I remember right they specifically say on the "elite welcome letter" about saving paper by putting the cruise get togethers only in that letter), AND THEN they inundate you with enough paper invitations to shopping and auction events to fill a waste basket!

And don't get me started about how many pictures they print to display in the "pictures for sale" area that are just wasted.

Good point on how many pictures printed.....

Firstly, many thanks to Project Gal and all those who came after, for pointing out to those who don't live in this gloriouse isle the issue with have with 0844 numbers in the UK and that no, Celebrity don't provide advance tags anymore. I may be in my 6th decade, but I'm not as thick as a passing, distant impression might suggest.

Secondly, thanks for the 0800 number. I'll give it a try sometime. Pity it's not on the Celebrity UK website (or at least, not that I could find easily). Putting 0844 front and centre is just a rip off.

Thirdly, anyone who puts their faith in self-printed paper labels stapled together at the end rather than in the proper, plasticy, difficult to tear jobbies is setting up for a few days without their underwear and toothbrush. I've had my spare wheelchair wheels mashed on the way between terminal and cabin before now, as was the paper label that said "FRAGILE" in 2" high letters. Call me a cynic, but lightning really can strike twice.

Fourth, why if I'm spending £4-5k for 9 days should I have to print off my own case labels, using an ink jet printer that will be unreadable if they catch a few spots of rain getting out of the taxi? For those who live in Miami, let me tell you that it always rains in Southampton when we're boarding. Always.

Fifth, I'm one of those sad acts who gets early boarding and early luggage delivery and I'm never quite comfortable until everything's there. Without colour coded labels, I'm going to be like an ill sitting hen for an extra couple of hours.

Sixth, why should I stand in the rain watching someone write my cabin numnber on a luggage tag? I'm on holiday for heaven's sake.

Next, buy my own luggage tags - are you kidding? Even the budget airlines (and I'm talking the ones who are talking about charging you to use the toillet on the plane), even they will print off a super sticky, tear proof tag to go on your check in luggage.

By the way, just to avoid any more cross cultural confusion, I make no apology for using the correct spelling of "colour". As for tea, I can't for the life of me understand why a few colonials would kick off about the vile tasting stuff. I'm not surprised that hardly any of you across the water drink it anymore, but equally I can't understand why you prefer that weak, watery excuse you have for coffee either.

Finally, not all of the semi-premium cruise lines have fallen into this ridiculous trap. Around September I'll receive the glossy pre-cruise brochure for our Cunard cruise in November. In the back will be some perforated, foldable labels that the Incredible Hulk couldn't tear. I'll use them with confidence.

So, back to my original thought. C'mon Celebrity, this is a step too far. Just print them in the US and send them AirMail.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I understand. I have never had tags sent to me. I like to print them. But I can see wanting to have them sent. I imagine it is exciting to see a package in the mail for your vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Firstly, many thanks to Project Gal and all those who came after, for pointing out to those who don't live in this gloriouse isle the issue with have with 0844 numbers in the UK and that no, Celebrity don't provide advance tags anymore. I may be in my 6th decade, but I'm not as thick as a passing, distant impression might suggest.

Secondly, thanks for the 0800 number. I'll give it a try sometime. Pity it's not on the Celebrity UK website (or at least, not that I could find easily). Putting 0844 front and centre is just a rip off.

Thirdly, anyone who puts their faith in self-printed paper labels stapled together at the end rather than in the proper, plasticy, difficult to tear jobbies is setting up for a few days without their underwear and toothbrush. I've had my spare wheelchair wheels mashed on the way between terminal and cabin before now, as was the paper label that said "FRAGILE" in 2" high letters. Call me a cynic, but lightning really can strike twice.

Fourth, why if I'm spending £4-5k for 9 days should I have to print off my own case labels, using an ink jet printer that will be unreadable if they catch a few spots of rain getting out of the taxi? For those who live in Miami, let me tell you that it always rains in Southampton when we're boarding. Always.

Fifth, I'm one of those sad acts who gets early boarding and early luggage delivery and I'm never quite comfortable until everything's there. Without colour coded labels, I'm going to be like an ill sitting hen for an extra couple of hours.

Sixth, why should I stand in the rain watching someone write my cabin numnber on a luggage tag? I'm on holiday for heaven's sake.

Next, buy my own luggage tags - are you kidding? Even the budget airlines (and I'm talking the ones who are talking about charging you to use the toillet on the plane), even they will print off a super sticky, tear proof tag to go on your check in luggage.

By the way, just to avoid any more cross cultural confusion, I make no apology for using the correct spelling of "colour". As for tea, I can't for the life of me understand why a few colonials would kick off about the vile tasting stuff. I'm not surprised that hardly any of you across the water drink it anymore, but equally I can't understand why you prefer that weak, watery excuse you have for coffee either.

Finally, not all of the semi-premium cruise lines have fallen into this ridiculous trap. Around September I'll receive the glossy pre-cruise brochure for our Cunard cruise in November. In the back will be some perforated, foldable labels that the Incredible Hulk couldn't tear. I'll use them with confidence.

So, back to my original thought. C'mon Celebrity, this is a step too far. Just print them in the US and send them AirMail.

Well said! I wonder if Celebrity will be brave enough to comment on this.

No concern about the porter writing the wrong # on the tag. He wouldn't take our word for it last month and we had to show our express pass. Not a big deal at all and we had recently upgraded cabins so mailed out tags were not good

Just print the tags on your home printer using colored ink with card stock paper and everything will be fine. Fold the tags as instructed over a handle on your bag. Then staple it and wrap transparent tape around the tag. It will not come off until you cut it off in your cabin. This is much better than the tags sent via mail anyway.

What happens about stapling when you are doing some air travel, road sightseeing and rail sightseeing, I just dont carry the odd staple gun in my luggage. Imagine that would be a great security risk.

We used to look forward to the pre-printed tags because they are self adhesive.

I understand. I have never had tags sent to me. I like to print them. But I can see wanting to have them sent. I imagine it is exciting to see a package in the mail for your vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It;s not the package per se. It's just that...... well I have a thing for the post lady. She's got an iPhone and doesn't have anything useful to say, which makes her sooooo hot.

:rolleyes:

Calling the Captain's Club and requesting luggage tags just takes a minute. Much less time than standing in a crowd of embarking passengers, and making sure the porter has your correct information. And if you did use that method, I would hope he would be tipped for extra time. JMHO.

Agree with you. Stopping to get the undelivered and unprintable tags from the porter cost us 100 places in line on January 2 Equinox embarkation debacle. Some people could print them but neither I nor our TA could do it without printing lots of pages and then they were not the right size.

I have printed from the other lines we cruise with no problem and use the handy plastic holders available from Cruise Critic but X's website at the time was not working for me.

Much ado about nothing. We just print them at home. When we get to the port,the porter attaches them and staples the ends together.We tip the porter one dollar per bag and we get our bags in a timely fashion.

That's one thing that I hate: Tipping the porter. On our last 2 cruises out of Fort-Lauderdale, we parked in the garage and wheeled our luggage ourselves up to the porters. They took it from our hand and moved them 5 feet on the curb and extended their hand for a handout. I know they probably moved the carts to the ship afterward but I still get infuriated by this. My 2 cents (for what it's worth :-) )

That's one thing that I hate: Tipping the porter. On our last 2 cruises out of Fort-Lauderdale, we parked in the garage and wheeled our luggage ourselves up to the porters. They took it from our hand and moved them 5 feet on the curb and extended their hand for a handout. I know they probably moved the carts to the ship afterward but I still get infuriated by this. My 2 cents (for what it's worth :-) )

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be a tad bit worried if I didn't tip the porter. Who knows where your luggage could go!

[emoji6][emoji6]

Whenever we've sailed in the past there's been a nice printed brochure with all the cruise details in it plus the options for tours in port. A useful way to plan before boarding and a nice momento afterwards. Sadly, as times have moved on several operators including Celebrity have stopped doing this and you have to print your own. C'est la vie.

But even then, you could order printed luggage tags on line which were posted out. For our forthcoming cruise, it says on line that tags are not yet available so I phoned X (0844, chargeable phone number!!!! :mad:) to find that Celebrity don't even do that any more. Apparently, the contractor they use has a problem and presumably it's too difficult to pick up the phone and get them done elsewhere.

So the advice was to ask for luggage tags at check in. What could possibly go wrong? I can see me dressing for the first formal night in a tee shirt and flip flops.

C'mon Celebrity, we all want value for money and know you need to turn a profit, but you've gone too far this time.

We've taken two cruises with family on RCCL. They don't do luggage tags. We took care of it when we arrived at the ship. It was quite easy. All 10 of our bags made it safely to our room on both cruises. HTH

Linda

At the risk of being flamed myself: HEAR, HEAR!

Could we please stop all this nonsense and piffle from across the pond. It may be just the way you like it there, but it ain't like that here. To be more precise, and speaking spcifically about Southampton:

a) Get tags at check in. Er, no. We drop bags at the kerb outside (note, that's "kerb"not "curb") then go inside to queue for 10-30 minutes for the check in desk. Luggage doesn't go inside.

b) Stand in line (did I mention it always rains in Southampton??) then tip someone to do the job he's paid to do, or else be concerened that it won't happen. Er, no. Not in this version of reality. Your tipping culture has infested too deeply already and it stops here.

c) Print the docs myself. I don't even receive them by e-mail in the UK. My TA gets them, prints in B&W and posts them out. Did I mention that paper tags stapled at the ends fill me with the same confidence as a prediction about the next earthquake?

d) Exactly how much is Celebrity saving the environment if my TA jhas to print out a massive pack (single sided) and post it? Zip, nada, zilch, zero. That's how much.

I could go on, but it would sound like a rant.