An Interesting C&A Question

We are due to cruise on the inaugural Ovation 3 nighter next Wednesday.

However an elderly uncle died on Tuesday and we still don't know the date of his funeral, but, it looks like it may clash with the cruise.

We would never miss his funeral but our insurance would not cover the death of an uncle.

Here is the bit I am unsure of, these 3 nights would have made us Diamond plus. So would we still achieve that even if we don't turn up for the cruise? We would be too late to cancel and get a refund.

Also, should we cancel or just be a no-show?

However an elderly uncle died on Tuesday and we still don't know the date of his funeral, but, it looks like it may clash with the cruise.

We would never miss his funeral but our insurance would not cover the death of an uncle.

Here is the bit I am unsure of, these 3 nights would have made us Diamond plus. So would we still achieve that even if we don't turn up for the cruise? We would be too late to cancel and get a refund.

You have to cruise to get the points.

You'd have to go on the cruise to earn the diamond plus points. We had to cancel a cruise and we, therefore didn't earn ANY extra points.

But, I feel for you. Yet, I look at it this way. Would your uncle want you to miss a cruise you paid for, just to attend his funeral? I wouldn't think so. I know this might sound heartless (?) but I'd be pissed off if my nephews or nieces canceled a cruise just to witness me in a box, dead. And, family would have to understand that.

Honestly, if I die and my funeral is during someone's cruise, I hope they still go.

RIGHT ON......totally. This is actually something I need to tell my kids! If I die and you've booked a vacation, GO ON IT! Don't be there with me, heck no! I wouldn't know you're there anyway! and to hell what the family thinks!!!

Honestly, if I die and my funeral is during someone's cruise, I hope they still go.

Me, too! Anything they could have done for me should have been done while I was alive. After that, I don't care. Missing the cruise won't bring me back.

In answer to OP's question, as already noted, no points unless you actually cruise.

Me, too! Anything they could have done for me should have been done while I was alive. After that, I don't care. Missing the cruise won't bring me back.

In answer to OP's question, as already noted, no points unless you actually cruise.

i

I just wondered if the fact I had paid for the cruise, we would still be allocated the points?

So sorry for your loss.

My feeling is that you do everything you can to help and be there for the family before the cruise but don't miss the cruise. As others have said, he probably would not want you to miss it.

Hope everything works out well for you.

I know this might sound heartless (?) but I'd be pissed off if my nephews or nieces canceled a cruise just to witness me in a box, dead. And, family would have to understand that.

I've written instructions for my family to go on a cruise INSTEAD of holding a funeral for me, and to scatter my ashes in the ocean. I would much rather have them enjoying themselves on a cruise, and laughing about my time on this earth than sitting in a chapel somewhere mourning the fact that I'm gone.

Sorry for your loss. You got your answer that one must go on the cruise to get points.

On the off-chance it will help, remember....If C&A accounts are linked, if one spouse/partner goes, the couple gets points. They might get extra points if he/she goes solo...or he/she might be able to alter the reservation to take a friend.

I don't know how it is in Scotland, but where I live if someone passed away on a Tuesday, most likely they would be buried by Monday or before.

I don't know how it is in Scotland, but where I live if someone passed away on a Tuesday, most likely they would be buried by Monday or before.

Normally it would be the same here,but there seems to be a back log right now which might be work in our favour.

Date is still to be finalised but is now looking as if it will be the day after we are due to return

Normally it would be the same here,but there seems to be a back log right now which might be work in our favour.

Date is still to be finalised but is now looking as if it will be the day after we are due to return

Where at in Scotland?

My dad lives in Rothesay. We're originally from Parkhead.

I agree. I dont even want a funeral. Why make people pay a bunch of money to cry about me? Dont bury me either, I dont need to take up space in the ground. Sprinkle my ashes somewhere cool and I'm happy!

Same.

RIGHT ON......totally. This is actually something I need to tell my kids! If I die and you've booked a vacation, GO ON IT! Don't be there with me, heck no! I wouldn't know you're there anyway! and to hell what the family thinks!!!

FWIW, if it's your kids, they could just delay the funeral. :) You can wait, right?

Well that works. :)

.... Why make people pay a bunch of money to cry about me? .... Sprinkle my ashes somewhere cool and I'm happy!

Great point about paying money for people to cry. They can cry wherever they feel like it without paying someone for the space. :) And I love that, to sprinkle them somewhere cool. :)

And no, just like with a flight, you have to be there on the "vehicle" to get the points. Sometimes I think it's rather silly, but....

I've written instructions for my family to go on a cruise INSTEAD of holding a funeral for me, and to scatter my ashes in the ocean. I would much rather have them enjoying themselves on a cruise, and laughing about my time on this earth than sitting in a chapel somewhere mourning the fact that I'm gone.

I agree. I dont even want a funeral. Why make people pay a bunch of money to cry about me? Dont bury me either, I dont need to take up space in the ground. Sprinkle my ashes somewhere cool and I'm happy!

I'm kind of thinking along the same lines! My preference would be a celebration of my life rather than a mourning of my death. I want my survivor to 'charter' a local bar and have a party for me with all of my friends and family. I'll provide for the cost in my will and drinks will be on me. Likewise I'll provide for a cruise for immediate family. Then a 'service' can be held on the deck of a ship as they sprinkle me at sea. (I checked, and it can be arranged.:))

To the OP - I hope it works out for you!

Judy

So sorry for the loss of your uncle. When my father died I told funeral driector when I prepaid, "I don't care what day of the week my father dies, the funeral is on a Saturday." My father died on a Tuesday and the funeral was on a Saturday so no one had to take off work if they wanted to attend.

Both my DH and I have had our funerals paid for many years. We choose cremation and have instructed family to take money from our estates to pay for a cruise and scatter us at sea.

Have you spoken with your uncle's family and explained the situation? I am willing to bet they will work with you under the circumstances. In instances when we were unable to attend due to distances or health issues we sent a plant in memeory of our friend or relative. When aunt died we sent each of her 6 children a plant in her memory as the airfair would have been cost prohibitive. They can all remember her when they water her memory plant.

Good Luck with your choice. Bless your loving uncle.

That is what we have in our will. When we die the rest of the family is to take a week long cruise in suites (we will have paid for them) and spread our ashes. Funerals are a big waste of money and time and there is nothing to be gained once we are gone they can go on a cruise and have a great time. They can also have a few drinks to celebrate and remember how much we enjoyed cruising together.

Edited by Karter

We live just outside Glasgow , but we came from Parkhead ( and followed the local football team!)

We immigrated to the states when I was 9 back in 1970. I attended Quarry Brae Primary School.....nice meeting you in here.