Can a passenger get a free drink?

CruiseLurker

Return cruisers are often gifted vouchers for one free drink at the past passenger event, or invited to a 'Captain's cocktail party' where pre-made drinks are complimentary and served for an hour or so.

Other than that, the only other "free drinks" are the free sparkling wine at various events, sometimes when embarking the ship for the first time, the "Champagne waterfall" in the Piazza, Art auctions etc. etc. etc. But "free" isn't always "free", as the bubbly offered is likened to 'headache water' and I consider that a cost IYAM.

Another option is @ the shops that may have promotional liquor tasting nights -- served in mini-taster cups. I imagine a persistent person could request to try a small sample of all of the bottles available(sometimes strange liqueurs included). I've noticed a few people seemingly trying to 'cop a free buzz' at such events:rolleyes:.

Best bet, for wanting to drink a little cheaper than @ship's bar prices on a Princess cruise(w/out circumventing the rules and smuggling on one's own liquor)...

Princess has pretty reasonable room-service prices for purchasing liquor aboard(to be consumed in one's stateroom). The cost is about twice what one would expect to pay at home at normal average rates. IE. a pint of medium shelf standard Vodka, Rum, Whiskey, Gin, Tequila etc. will run around $20USD compared to around $10USD for the same at home. Bring your own mixers, or purchase them at ports of call to be brought back on board.

I'm considering a Princess cruise... Can you give me a list of free and discounted drink opportunities? Oh, I will be buying a few, too.

Happy hour in a designated bar from 3-4 pm and either 10-11 pm or 11-12 pm. Buy one drink at regular price and get the second for $1. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

Closest you'll get to a free drink is going to happy hour in the Wheelhouse Bar at 3:00 P.M. Buy 1 drink at the regular price and get the second same drink for $1. Never known Princess to hand out free drinks except for at the Elite and Platinum captains party and even with that they're watching the drinks handed out. Probably because there's a lot of us attending those parties. Happy hour is actually a good deal.

Edited by elliair

Thanks for the info, (sound pretty close to most lines) especially the relative cost of purchasing liquor on board (Can I pre-order?). Smuggling is not my thing, but it would be nice to enjoy a drink in one's stateroom.

Yes, for drink packages

Thanks for the info, (sound pretty close to most lines) especially the relative cost of purchasing liquor on board (Can I per-order?). Smuggling is not my thing, but it would be nice to enjoy a drink in one's stateroom.

This is an example of what is offered via room service, however IIRC, these prices appear to be a few years old.

Sapphire_Princess_RoomServiceMenu%20(22).jpg

-- I'm sure one could find a more up-to-date pricing list.

I would add another few dollars to these, to represent current prices...Or roughly a 100% mark-up to what one would expect to pay at home.

FWIW, A 375ml bottle(or what we call a 'Pint') is 1/2 the size of "a fifth" in the states.

With cocktails/mixed drinks selling on average around $6/$8 for a single/double per on board @ the ship's bars. A person can obviously see the savings of purchasing their liquor from the room-service menu, bringing their own mixers aboard, and preparing their own drinks in cabin. -- Even at the inflated mark up of 2x prices for liquor.

Princess' beverage prices(whether room service or at bars) are actually pretty fair in comparison to other lines IYAM. On a recent Carnival sailing, I checked out their pre-order/room-service prices, and the cheapest 750ml bottles were listed at around $75 per on up to $100(and more) for the same brands listed above in that picture.

Yeah....err...No thanks:cool:...

My guess is that they are forced to do that to cover all of the lost revenue from those that smuggle their own liquor aboard. Very much a cause and effect though, as: If their prices were cheaper, perhaps less people would be as tempted to smuggle?

Knowing how frugal or cheap many are, I doubt it.

I don't mind paying a little extra, as that's to be expected, but I refuse to accept getting fleeced.

Closest you'll get to a free drink is going to happy hour in the Wheelhouse Bar at 3:00 P.M. Buy 1 drink at the regular price and get the second same drink for $1. Never known Princess to hand out free drinks except for at the Elite and Platinum captains party and even with that they're watching the drinks handed out. Probably because there's a lot of us attending those parties. Happy hour is actually a good deal.

Actually, I don't think they're watching much at the Captain Circle party. I've never had a problem ordering and getting a double jack on the rocks... Once I was even given 2 doubles! Needless to say, I couldn't drink both!

To the OP, this obviously doesn't apply to you yet. However, the Happy Hour is a great deal.

Actually, I don't think they're watching much at the Captain Circle party. I've never had a problem ordering and getting a double jack on the rocks... Once I was even given 2 doubles! Needless to say, I couldn't drink both!

To the OP, this obviously doesn't apply to you yet. However, the Happy Hour is a great deal.

The only thing that is watched by staff at the CC Party is service: I've always had the feeling that Princess bends over backwards to make sure they shine and present a truly appreciative attitude towards their loyal passengers. There's no quibbling and no penny pinching.

The only true "watching" is at the velvet rope upon entrance: only invitees are admitted, so no crashing the party.

No reason to even bring up CC Parties for OP, as the OP's words suggest they've never cruised with Princess prior.

Another clarification: it's ONE bottle of wine per adult passenger, not two per cabin. I travel solo and am only permitted one.

Lastly, OP didn't specifically mention the word alcohol, so just in case:

In dining rooms (Main & HC Buffet) Coffee, Tea, Ice Tea, Lemonade, Water and Juice during breakfast. Never soda, which can be brought on board for presumably cabin consumption.

As for the Piazza event (balloon drop or Champagne Fountain) I've noticed that during the stated time (usually 45 minutes or so) it's free-flowing, meaning you're welcome to as many as you like, as opposed to: "you already have had one." I was talking with a couple who seemed to really like the champagne, so every time a tray passed, they asked me to take one also for them.

I don't mind paying a little extra, as that's to be expected, but I refuse to accept getting fleeced.

You and many, many others.

They've raised the prices so high that invites smuggling.

Keeping the prices at least in the range of what it would cost in the stores (US) would increase their profits since smuggling wouldn't be considered.

Wine: 1 x 750ml bottle per adult passenger can be carried on board without charge for use in your cabin. Additional bottles are charged a $15 corkage fee at boarding. These bottles are marked and can be used anywhere on the ship. If you bring this bottles to a public area or DR you will be charged a $15 corkage fee. Many will pour the wine into a glass and carry the glass around.

Champagne waterfall party: Waiters walk around with pre-made drinks. You can request something else and they will get it for you but you may have to wait.

You can carry on as much non-alcoholic beverages as you like.

You and many, many others.

They've raised the prices so high that invites smuggling.

Keeping the prices at least in the range of what it would cost in the stores (US) would increase their profits since smuggling wouldn't be considered.

I have found that the prices of alcoholic drinks on board are fairly competitive to prices you would pay at a resort hotel, nice land based restaurant, local club, and from what I have read on these boards lower than some other similar cruise lines. I don't believe "smuggling" is a large issue on Princess cruises as it may be on some other lines.

I have found that the prices of alcoholic drinks on board are fairly competitive to prices you would pay at a resort hotel, nice land based restaurant, local club, and from what I have read on these boards lower than some other similar cruise lines. I don't believe "smuggling" is a large issue on Princess cruises as it may be on some other lines.

Certainly no where near the amount as on Carnival.

Go HERE

Scroll to the bottom of the page and download the Princess Gifts & Services brochure. You will see the list of what can be purchased in advance for in-cabin consumption. You will actually just receive a card in your cabin and then you call Room Service to deliver it. Simply exchange the card for the liquor you have pre-ordered.

It's just as easy to just do it onboard but the brochure will let you see what is available and the pricing.

The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is that when there are certain demonstrations where they mix a cocktail they will often ask for a volunteer to help shake the drink and then give them the drink (example: martini demonstrations and the norman love chocolate demonstration on the regal just featured chocolate cocktails)

Buy 100 shares of Carnival stock, send the receipt to Princess and then you will get an on-board credit of $50 for 6 days or less, $100 for 7 to 13 days, and $250 for 14 days or longer. I'm on a 15 day cruise so I figure that's about 25 drinks. (Actually the stock has gone up enough through the years where I could buy a cruise with it as well.)

The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is that when there are certain demonstrations where they mix a cocktail they will often ask for a volunteer to help shake the drink and then give them the drink (example: martini demonstrations and the norman love chocolate demonstration on the regal just featured chocolate cocktails)

You are right! the Martini and Flair bartending show at the Atrium. And also at the SeaView bar on Regal and Royal.

You don't have to help to score a free drink either. ;)