gripe/rant

LHT28

It's called a "scendiletto" and is intended to clean your feet before going to bed, and so you do not to have to put your feet on the potentially cold/dirty floor when you exit the bed. In Italy it is provided in their upper scale hotels, and supposedly you are to place your slippers right next to it, so you can just slide your feet in and out of bed without putting your feet directly on the floor. I asked in a hotel once and this is what I was told. We removed ours nightly on our cruises, we ended up stepping on them and bunching them up nightly.

Dear Cruseforme:

Thank you so much for your wonderful explanation. I love those little things on cruises that hark back to a more elegant time. Our everyday life is so fast and furious now that when I see these kind of things it reminds me to slow down a little, we are on a cruise afterall.:cool:

1 Slippers are in the closet for you to use, if you wish (do not have to bring your own)

2 Doesn't sound like you need to worry about dirty carpets, bacteria and bare feet :D

I just do not wear slippers at all ever no need for even the free ones

I am sure my feet are fairly impervious to the odd bit of bacteria although I do wear out socks frequently.

Funny I don't wear gloves either , for the cold or doing jobs ,

Despite cuts , abrasions splinters etc I can't remember the last time I had even a minor infection or inflamed cut , feet , hands or fingers and the wife commented the other day I have a stomach ( too fat ) that is entirely bomb proof , I never get a tummy bug , can't remember last time I vomited.

it's funny I wonder about carpets in hospitals , must be the worst thing ever for harbouring bacteria and virtually impossible to disinfect adequately I would assume , and there we all are walking on them in shoes that have just wandered along streets with dogs , cats, minor food waste , human spit and all sorts of other nasty things which we then wipe off on the carpets !

Is that where the Noro is sneaking around the carpets , no only joking

I am sure the room attendants find it a waste of their time to put them down each night when they are trying to finish the cabins so they can get off duty

I never use the slippers either

some lady wore hers to breakfast today

to each his/her own

If you do not like them please make it know in the comments card & maybe they will go away:D

No, TC, it is NOT that simple as was indicated early on. The cabin crew has meticulous instructions about what they are supposed to do. When DH asked our cabin stewardess NOT to tuck in the sheet, she said she had to. The only way we could make that happen was to talk to the supervisor. I think that Lyn said she had to do the same to get the little linen thing eliminated from the bedside.

There are rules and our cabin staff have to abide by them, not by what WE request.

Sometimes we think they are silly but the supervisors DO come by to check on what the cabin staff is doing.

Mura

No, TC, it is NOT that simple as was indicated early on. The cabin crew has meticulous instructions about what they are supposed to do. When DH asked our cabin stewardess NOT to tuck in the sheet, she said she had to. The only way we could make that happen was to talk to the supervisor. I think that Lyn said she had to do the same to get the little linen thing eliminated from the bedside.

There are rules and our cabin staff have to abide by them, not by what WE request.

Sometimes we think they are silly but the supervisors DO come by to check on what the cabin staff is doing.

Mura

Exactly so.

Thank you all for the chuckles. My DH hates them. I use mine in the morning - when I'm drinking coffee in bed so as not to spill. But I COULD say a prayer on them first. My pet peeve are robes in the concierge lounge. I feel like I'm at a coed slumber party.

My pet peeve are robes in the concierge lounge. I feel like I'm at a coed slumber party.

You think that that is bad.

I couldn't believe my eyes when a mom and her young daughter (8-ish) came to the theater for the evening performance in their PJs, fancy robes and slippers (on another line).

The little girl had nice bunny slippers and matching robe.

Talk about a slumber party :D

Edited by Paulchili

You think that that is bad.

I couldn't believe my eyes when a mom and her young daughter (8-ish) came to the theater for the evening performance in their PJs, fancy robes and slippers (on another line).

The little girl had nice bunny slippers and matching robe.

Talk about a slumber party :D

Some people have no brains, or is it no class. Should be a dress code for idiots like these.

I'm with you Lyn!

Don't like them, don't use them. I just fold them and tuck them off to the side. I don't use slippers, and so far the germs have not invaded through my feet:D

By the comments, there are a number that do, so for the time being, I will choose to bend, pick up, fold and tuck off to the side.....and then enjoy my chocolate as I just did my exercises.

Interesting thread, thanks for starting it, Lyn.

I am sure the room attendants find it a waste of their time to put them down each night when they are trying to finish the cabins so they can get off duty

I never use the slippers either

some lady wore hers to breakfast today

to each his/her own

If you do not like them please make it know in the comments card & maybe they will go away:D

Thank you all for the chuckles. My DH hates them. I use mine in the morning - when I'm drinking coffee in bed so as not to spill. But I COULD say a prayer on them first. My pet peeve are robes in the concierge lounge. I feel like I'm at a coed slumber party.

On our recent Marina cruise I saw people in robes and slippers all over the ship. My feelings are these are for your room or balcony. Obviously some people's feelings differ. But then again I wouldn't shave my hair in the back and tattoo eyes on my skull, neither would my wife like one lady we saw.

Mura

Thank you for the explanation. I didn't realize that Oceania did not respond to guest requests. IMO, when a request of this nature is made, the stewardess should inform her supervisor so that she can make note of it. The guest should not have to do anything beyond making the request.

In terms of bathrobes, we have seen them in the Executive Lounge and one person walking the hallways in one. While the person In the hall may have been covering up a bathing suit on this way to or from the pool, there is no excuse to wear a bath robe in a lounge. Perhaps this should be noted in the dress code.

Funny coincidence regarding this thread happened to me last night. A few days ago DH must have taken a nap during the day and instead of remaking the bed entirely, he did a little turndown. I commented how nice it looked and he said he was sorry he didn't have a mint for the pillow. So last night I go in the bedroom to go to sleep and the bed is turned down, a mint is on the pillow and he had put a white face towel on the floor on my side of the bed.:)

.....and then enjoy my chocolate.

The chocolates used to be delicious. Several years ago now they downgraded the quality significantly and they are no longer tasty or enjoyable. On our most recent cruise the three of us had 75-my daughter took them all back to Liberia to give the children of her staff.

So now they can do away with the tea towels on the floor, the slippers, and the chocolates. Do you think that will lower the cost to us? I suspect not. My husband actually likes the slippers. To each his own.

Mo

Funny coincidence regarding this thread happened to me last night. A few days ago DH must have taken a nap during the day and instead of remaking the bed entirely, he did a little turndown. I commented how nice it looked and he said he was sorry he didn't have a mint for the pillow. So last night I go in the bedroom to go to sleep and the bed is turned down, a mint is on the pillow and he had put a white face towel on the floor on my side of the bed.:)

That is too funny

Now you will be expecting such service every night :D

Mura

Yes Mura you are right

The room attendants had to get the supervisor to talk to us to make sure it was our wishes & not just the staff cutting corners

I did tell the supervisor to re-purpose them for table cloths for breakfast in the room ...I do not think she was amused :rolleyes:

That is too funny

Now you will be expecting such service every night :D

LOL! Actually he has done the towel thing once in the past, either after a cruise or hotel stay. The mint was a hard candy type, which he apologized for...but, since that was what was on the candy dish outside one of our condo neighbor's door, he made do with what he had available.

LOL! Actually he has done the towel thing once in the past, either after a cruise or hotel stay.

..and if you don't want the towel, who is your husband's supervisor that you would have to speak to?

Would there be a conflict of interest :D

..and if you don't want the towel, who is your husband's supervisor that you would have to speak to?

Would there be a conflict of interest :D

Paul, try it on your wife tonight (if she doesn't read CC)...you'll have a good laugh together...she'll recognize the set up immediately. Any candy on the pillow will do.

BTW, it was another towel I had to wash today!:)

In the topic of slippers, what size of feet to they accommodate. I wear a ladies 11 shoe. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They have a larger pair and smaller pair. I wear a Ladies 9 and the larger pair fits me and my husband who wears a Men's 11 so should fit you. Ask your room attendant. They may even have an extra large but the large should fit.

If you are a barefoot individual as I am the mats are very useful during the night as you can wipe your feet after a visit to the sandbox prior to re-entering bed. I like them and feel all upscale accomadations should have them.