gripe/rant

LHT28

Who likes those darn "placemats" they put out at night next to the bed ??

They have no backing on them to keep them in place so you trip on the darn things :eek:

I usually throw them in the corner as they serve no useful purpose that I can see

I post my comments in the mid cruise survey & had a chat with the housekeeping supervisor about them

My room stewardess will not longer put them in my cabin but I had to go through the head of housekeeping so she would not get in trouble

They would be more appropriate as placemats for breakfast

I also complained for our last 2 cruises but to no avail

If you dislike them as much as we do please make note in the cruise comment cards

Lyn

I find them useless and really don't understand the purpose. I think they're like an appendix, better to remove if it bothers you.

I don't really care about them one way or another. I just kick them out of the way.

Totally agree with you Lyn.

We always ask our cabin attendant not to put them out as they are totally useless and a potential hazard.

Will put it on our card next time.

Just think how much water/labor they could save over the year by eliminating this useless "thing"

Edited by Paulchili

I think so you have somewhere to put your bare feet before you put slippers or shoes on, but I don't really know. That was the only thing I could figure it was possibly for. I am with the rest, they are a darn nuisance. I usually kick mine under the bed:D

I think so you have somewhere to put your bare feet before you put slippers or shoes on, but I don't really know. That was the only thing I could figure it was possibly for. I am with the rest, they are a darn nuisance. I usually kick mine under the bed:D

Could care less one way or the other. Our last cruise on Riviera (the 2/12 one) they did not put them out so I forgot all about them. I guess they had other things to do. If they were not there it would be O.K. with me.

It's called a "scendiletto" and is intended to clean your feet before going to bed, and so you do not to have to put your feet on the potentially cold/dirty floor when you exit the bed. In Italy it is provided in their upper scale hotels, and supposedly you are to place your slippers right next to it, so you can just slide your feet in and out of bed without putting your feet directly on the floor. I asked in a hotel once and this is what I was told. We removed ours nightly on our cruises, we ended up stepping on them and bunching them up nightly.

It's called a "scendiletto" and is intended to clean your feet before going to bed, and so you do not to have to put your feet on the potentially cold/dirty floor when you exit the bed. In Italy it is provided in their upper scale hotels, and supposedly you are to place your slippers right next to it, so you can just slide your feet in and out of bed without putting your feet directly on the floor. I asked in a hotel once and this is what I was told. We removed ours nightly on our cruises, we ended up stepping on them and bunching them up nightly.

Thank you for that explanation - you learn something new every day (Hi Dottie :D)

Personally, I have no trouble putting my feet right from the bed into my slippers and vice versa without stepping on a "dirty" carpet.

Edited by Paulchili

I like them, never liked stepping on the dirty carpet.

+1 every upscale and maybe not even so upscale hotel in Europe puts them out every night. How hard can it be just to move them aside if you really want to put your feet on the germ laden carpet?

Very good . I feel so worldly now .

I like them, never liked stepping on the dirty carpet.

Is it really that difficult to step right into your slippers that you left by the bed?

The flimsy cloth just bunches up, becomes useless and is more likely to make you trip or slip than anything else.

Edited by Paulchili

Never even notice the things , but the logic is there I suppose , carpets are inherently dirty places and if you are that susceptible to the bacteria found therein on the soles of your feet not a bad idea at all . Come to think of it I have seen this sort of thing in hotels .

Slippers don't own a pair never use them , I am pretty much a bare foot person my wife worries about me walking around the garden in the rain on the grass ! Barefoot , bit chilly on the tootsies when the frost is down .

Never even notice the things , but the logic is there I suppose , carpets are inherently dirty places and if you are that susceptible to the bacteria found therein on the soles of your feet not a bad idea at all . Come to think of it I have seen this sort of thing in hotels .

Slippers don't own a pair never use them , I am pretty much a bare foot person my wife worries about me walking around the garden in the rain on the grass ! Barefoot , bit chilly on the tootsies when the frost is down .

1 Slippers are in the closet for you to use, if you wish (do not have to bring your own)

2 Doesn't sound like you need to worry about dirty carpets, bacteria and bare feet :D

Edited by Paulchili

Is it really that difficult to step right into your slippers that you left by the bed?

The flimsy cloth just bunches up, becomes useless and is more likely to make you trip or slip than anything else.

This ^

What is somewhat amusing is when housekeeping puts the mats down and then lays out slippers (our own or the hotel version) nicely positioned on top of the mat.

Then... what is the point?