I miss the original Princess Cays

blueseas4me2

Larger capacity ships,ex. The Regal Princess, are stopping at Princess Cay.

More passengers equal more people on the island,obviously.

On our last two Caribbean cruises ,one on the Crown,the other on the Regal, my DH and I stayed on the ship for a relaxing sea day since we had been to Princess Cays several times before.

We used to love this island and it was a favorite part of our cruise. After last week's nightmare of a visit, it's unlikely we will ever return.

The clamshells are hideous and they block the view of the beautiful water. It's also hard to walk around the beach because you have to weave in and out of them.

More than an hour in the tender line sealed it for us. I have no idea why they were not docking tenders on both docks or why they thought people should stand in the hot sun (with no available water) for over an hour.

I agree!

See a Sun Class ship in the background. Boy do I miss those ships. Never crowded.

I hated once they started selling clamshell covers. Yuk!

Our first cruise was on Sea Princess. It was a wonderful introduction to Princess.

LOL - I have you all beat. Our first visit to what would eventually be known as Princess Cay was back in 1990 on a ship from a cruise line that P&O later bought out. It was listed in our daily planner as an opportunity to visit a deserted tropical beach (the day was listed as a sea day on the itinerary).

We were bought ashore in open tenders (the old style life boats on the ship) and had to go over the side and wade ashore. Only about 75 of us took advantage of the

The only thing on the island was the pit privy (still there) that was built for locals using the beach. No tiki huts, lounge chairs or other unneeded items for a day at the beach.

There were no palm trees, only the scrub that is native to the island.

The beach was wide and sandy and sloped down into the water. The erosion caused by jetties, channel dredging, and sea walls was still far in the future.

Sea shells were abundant and there was a thriving population of sand dollars.

The ship staff bought ashore charcoal grills and made hot dogs and hamburgers with a side of potato chips. Water was the only beverage for drinking.

It was a wonderful four hours.

LOL - I have you all beat. Our first visit to what would eventually be known as Princess Cay was back in 1990 on a ship from a cruise line that P&O later bought out. It was listed in our daily planner as an opportunity to visit a deserted tropical beach (the day was listed as a sea day on the itinerary).

We were bought ashore in open tenders (the old style life boats on the ship) and had to go over the side and wade ashore. Only about 75 of us took advantage of the

The only thing on the island was the pit privy (still there) that was built for locals using the beach. No tiki huts, lounge chairs or other unneeded items for a day at the beach.

There were no palm trees, only the scrub that is native to the island.

The beach was wide and sandy and sloped down into the water. The erosion caused by jetties, channel dredging, and sea walls was still far in the future.

Sea shells were abundant and there was a thriving population of sand dollars.

The ship staff bought ashore charcoal grills and made hot dogs and hamburgers with a side of potato chips. Water was the only beverage for drinking.

It was a wonderful four hours.

That sounds perfect!

Are the clamshells on EVERY part of the beach? When I was there a few years ago only one small portion of beach had clamshells. A walk a bit further down and there were just chairs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

In the 80's my Mom took a Princess cruise and they stopped at "Palm Island" which was their private island back then. I wonder what island it was.

Internet search came up with this:

1981 - Princess begins calling at first private Caribbean island, Palm Island in Grenadines

1986 -New private island, Mayreau (Grenadines), replaces Palm Island

1992 - New private island launched (Princess Cays in Eleuthera)

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/The-History-of-Princess-Cruises:-A-Timeline-of-Key-Events.html#.VwgbOmMzN0c

Edited by Coral

Why so many clamshells now? I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what immediately came to mind for me: We finally woke up to the effects of the sun on our skin. I'd take that breezeless, view-blocking clamshell over skin cancer any day.

I loved the good ol' days of mindlessly happily sunbathing for hours but finally was enlightened . . whether I wanted to be or not. :)

Why so many clamshells now? I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what immediately came to mind for me: We finally woke up to the effects of the sun on our skin. I'd take that breezeless, view-blocking clamshell over skin cancer any day.

I loved the good ol' days of mindlessly happily sunbathing for hours but finally was enlightened . . whether I wanted to be or not. :)

Then we should be in tents covering the entire body.

I first went to Princess Cays in 1991 and my first (and two subsequent) visits were not the best. Crowded, no shade... just tons of towels taking up all the space and no where to sit out of the sun. Granted, there weren't the clamshells but I wasn't impressed then and am not now. I'll be there next week and don't plan to get off the ship.

FYI, Half Moon Cay is MUCH better than Princess Cays with lots of loungers, shade, and sand so soft it's like you're walking on baby powder.

If you went to Princess Cays in the very early days, it really wasn't great. No shade or palm trees, very few beach chairs so sitting on beach towels was needed, etc. :(

We're almost always at Princess Cays in the Jan/Feb time frame so it can be on the chilly side. We now enjoy going to the Banana Beach Bar which is directly on the beach. There's normally a duo playing. Enjoyable. :)

LuLu

FYI, Half Moon Cay is MUCH better than Princess Cays with lots of loungers, shade, and sand so soft it's like you're walking on baby powder.

Actually, I would rate it as much, much, much better.

890203%20065%2002.03.16%20HMC%20-%20beach%20DSC01097_zpssdsnroee.jpg

890203%20050%2002.03.16%20HMC-beach%20DSC01081_zps5slec7ag.jpg

Also, instead of using ship's tenders they have three ferries with a larger capacity permanently at HMC.

890203%20019%2002.03.16%20HMC%20-%20Henry%20Hudson%201%20of%203%20boats%20to%20tender%20to%20shore%20DSC01050_zpsucl6jz2i.jpg

Actually, I would rate it as much, much, much better.

890203%20065%2002.03.16%20HMC%20-%20beach%20DSC01097_zpssdsnroee.jpg

890203%20050%2002.03.16%20HMC-beach%20DSC01081_zps5slec7ag.jpg

Also, instead of using ship's tenders they have three ferries with a larger capacity permanently at HMC.

890203%20019%2002.03.16%20HMC%20-%20Henry%20Hudson%201%20of%203%20boats%20to%20tender%20to%20shore%20DSC01050_zpsucl6jz2i.jpg

Princess got screwed when they bought into Princess Cays compared to Half Moon Cay.

In the 80's my Mom took a Princess cruise and they stopped at "Palm Island" which was their private island back then. I wonder what island it was.

Internet search came up with this:

1981 - Princess begins calling at first private Caribbean island, Palm Island in Grenadines

1986 -New private island, Mayreau (Grenadines), replaces Palm Island

1992 - New private island launched (Princess Cays in Eleuthera)

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/The-History-of-Princess-Cruises:-A-Timeline-of-Key-Events.html#.VwgbOmMzN0c

Yes, that sounds about right for Princess Cay in Eleuthera. The cruise line that I was on in 1990 was bought out by P& O shortly after the cruise with the deserted island beach excursion and, as I received Princess credit for the two cruises on that line, the assets were folded into Princess.

Yes, that sounds about right for Princess Cay in Eleuthera. The cruise line that I was on in 1990 was bought out by P& O shortly after the cruise with the deserted island beach excursion and, as I received Princess credit for the two cruises on that line, the assets were folded into Princess.

I started cruising in late 90's, I only wish I had been able to start sooner as I LOVED my early cruise experiences. If only cruisers today knew what cruising was like back then :) Out of curiosity, do you remember the name of the line you were on?

That's really interesting. I'm sitting here with a friend who is about to go on her first Princess cruise. However, she did a Regent Rainbow cruise back in the day. Does that mean she's actually a repeat passenger? I think a phone call to Princess might be in order. I wonder if they would still give credit if she can cough up some kind of proof of the trip. Hmmmmm.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk