Alasks what is better is august

Northbound or Southbound?:)

I'd like to do a land tour first, getting the long flight out of the way at the start. Then get on the ship in the north and do the southbound route to Vancouver.

Edited by clarea

I don't think the time of the cruise matters which direction you choose. Living in Florida, I prefer a longer flight at the beginning, to Alaska, and flying back to Florida out of Vancouver. To and from Florida/Alaska we have to change planes 3 times. To and from Vancouver, only once. If you live near the west coast, I don't think it would make much difference.

I'd like to do a land tour first, getting the long flight out of the way at the start. Then get on the ship in the north and do the southbound route to Vancouver.

Ditto! If you are doing a cruise tour I recommend doing the land first then cruise southbound. The cruise was real relaxing while he land tour was go...go...go.... And it was nice the relax the second week [emoji1]

Ditto! If you are doing a cruise tour I recommend doing the land first then cruise southbound. The cruise was real relaxing while he land tour was go...go...go.... And it was nice the relax the second week [emoji1]

The OP didn't mention a land tour, but I have to agree that southbound is the better choice, regardless. At the end of the cruise, I'm ready to get home, and it's a much shorter ride to the airport in Vancouver, than it is from Seward to Anchorage. Factor in an hours longer flight and I'm tired just thinking about it. Lol

Edited by hapster85

Thanks everyone, just started looking at Alaska and didn't realize you start out at 1 place and end up at another :confused:. Guess I will loo into what flights are cheaper for Boston and go from there, thanks:)

It's your choice to do a round-trip or one-way.

Explorer does 7-day round-trips out of Seattle.

Radiance does alternating 7-day cruises:

- Southbound from Seward to Vancouver.

- Northbound from Vancouver to Seward.

Thanks so much! I was looking at the Explorer this morning:)

Bob would you pick explorer round trips out of Seattle ? Why or why not?... When is the best time to book an Alaskan cruise... My daughter really wants to go to Alaska but expense is quite a bit more seems..... Can you do a cruise that isn't land and just cruise, or are you missing out on a lot if you don't do land.?

Bob would you pick explorer round trips out of Seattle ? Why or why not?... When is the best time to book an Alaskan cruise... My daughter really wants to go to Alaska but expense is quite a bit more seems..... Can you do a cruise that isn't land and just cruise, or are you missing out on a lot if you don't do land.?

Yes you can do round trips from Seattle , Vancouver or San Francisco.

When comparing cruises look at port times . Sometimes port times are reduced because of the stop in Victoria (US government law). For this year (2016) you should already be booking your cruise , hotel and airfare if required. For 2017 booking early as possible .

My experience is that it's best to book as early as possible because the prices seem to keep going up.

I actually think Explorer is a poor ship for Alaska. No indoor Solarium and no where near as many outside views as Radiance.

Also, unless you are stuck on Royal, you should also consider Princess and Holland. Many people think they have better itineraries than Royal.

My experience is that it's best to book as early as possible because the prices seem to keep going up.

I actually think Explorer is a poor ship for Alaska. No indoor Solarium and no where near as many outside views as Radiance.

Also, unless you are stuck on Royal, you should also consider Princess and Holland. Many people think they have better itineraries than Royal.

Yes they usually do better in Alaska . They have permits to go into Glacier Bay . Celebrity Solstice isn't a bad choice for Alaska either.