American gifts for Brits

We will be visiting some dear friend in England next month and would like to bring some gifts for them from the US. Does anyone have recommendations what Brits like to receive from the US? Since we will be arriving by plane, it does limit size and weight, so we can't bring an apple pie for them.:D

I can't imagine anything that we have in the US that can not be bought in England. A big bunch of flowers would probably be more appreciated than a replica of the Statue of Liberty or small Liberty Bell

Personally I would have a hard time thinking of anything in today's world where "gift cards" seem to rule as gifts for just about every occasion.

Is there a particular speciality of Florida you could bring ?

Not quite the same but I have been on a couple of trips to the US without my husband. I brought home whiskey distilled in the state I visited.

Is there a particular speciality of Florida you could bring ?

Not quite the same but I have been on a couple of trips to the US without my husband. I brought home whiskey distilled in the state I visited.

Thanks for the suggestion. We tried to think of something Florida first, but oranges and key lime pie wouldn't work with an airplane flight. What they would really like is Florida sunshine; but they will have to come here for that. :D

Not that they don't have plenty of sweets in the UK, but speaking as an American, we always bring home coconut patties from Florida. YUM! :)

I had read on a Google search that Brits do like American chocolates and other sweets that aren't as available there; but it was a seven year old thread. Coconut patties sound most interesting. Even though we live in FL, I don't recall seeing anything like that. Can you give me a better description, since that does sound like a good idea.

I am from Canada. When I visited my Scottish relatives, I brought Maple syrup and Maple filled cookies.

You could bring Key Lime, or Orange, Chocolate patties, I have brought back to Canada.

Maybe something with Key Lime?

I had read on a Google search that Brits do like American chocolates and other sweets that aren't as available there; but it was a seven year old thread. Coconut patties sound most interesting. Even though we live in FL, I don't recall seeing anything like that. Can you give me a better description, since that does sound like a good idea.

These are widely available in any store along the interstate that has a gift/convenience section. On the West Coast of Florida, I've even seen them in an orange grove that includes a gift shop.

I've included a link to a Florida that does internet sales. They offer lots of different flavors and different size packages. Incidentally, since you're in Florida, you won't be surprised that orders placed between April and October come with a hot weather warning.

http://www.anastasiaconfections.com/coconut-patties.html

If the logistics of those coconut patties seems unappealing, consider a small book with photographs of local sights/state sights/national sights. Definitely a more expensive option, but also more portable given temps and chocolate coating issues.

Again, the gift shops along the interstate will have more moderately priced books than a book store (if one even still exists in your area!)

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

That's too funny! They are sold anywhere travelers and tourists might be (including the airports); I've seen them in orange groves as well.

I see that Pet Nit Noy has already linked to the makers of one of my favorites; take a look at that site so you can see what the boxes look like. (You might even find them in Publix, I'm not sure.) They come in a number of flavors, but I find traditional coconut the best.

http://www.anastasiaconfections.com/

(I have friends and relatives in South Florida. I never return from Florida without coconut patties!)

Pals in Colorado with family in New Mexico picked up nice linen tea towels decorated with fun southwestern scenes which were well received as gifts in London. Something similar with a colorful Florida theme might be nice, and your friends can be reminded of you when they use them in future. Easily packed in luggage so no worries about mashed edibles.

Edited by LoriPhil

We will be visiting some dear friend in England next month and would like to bring some gifts for them from the US. Does anyone have recommendations what Brits like to receive from the US? Since we will be arriving by plane, it does limit size and weight, so we can't bring an apple pie for them.:D

Lotsa dollar bills preferably large denominations...

Pals in Colorado with family in New Mexico picked up nice linen tea towels decorated with fun southwestern scenes which were well received as gifts in London. Something similar with a colorful Florida theme might be nice, and your friends can be reminded of you when they use them in future. Easily packed in luggage so no worries about mashed edibles.

Jazzy Artz makes the equivalent with Florida images. Great suggestion!

http://www.jazzyartz.com/old.html

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

These are widely available in any store along the interstate that has a gift/convenience section. On the West Coast of Florida, I've even seen them in an orange grove that includes a gift shop.

I've included a link to a Florida that does internet sales. They offer lots of different flavors and different size packages. Incidentally, since you're in Florida, you won't be surprised that orders placed between April and October come with a hot weather warning.

http://www.anastasiaconfections.com/coconut-patties.html

If the logistics of those coconut patties seems unappealing, consider a small book with photographs of local sights/state sights/national sights. Definitely a more expensive option, but also more portable given temps and chocolate coating issues.

Again, the gift shops along the interstate will have more moderately priced books than a book store (if one even still exists in your area!)

Thanks so much for the link and information. We leave in 3 weeks; but it is normally pretty warm around here; but those might work.

That's too funny! They are sold anywhere travelers and tourists might be (including the airports); I've seen them in orange groves as well.

I see that Pet Nit Noy has already linked to the makers of one of my favorites; take a look at that site so you can see what the boxes look like. (You might even find them in Publix, I'm not sure.) They come in a number of flavors, but I find traditional coconut the best.

http://www.anastasiaconfections.com/

(I have friends and relatives in South Florida. I never return from Florida without coconut patties!)

We don't normally look for souvenirs around here. :D Plus candy aisles in stores are normally taboo. I will check out Publix just to know what I have been missing. I can see a drive down to Delray in our future to look at stores the tourists go to.

I like that idea a lot. Thanks.

In spite of what you may have heard, apple pie isn't American anyway! Some sort of biscuits that are specifically Floridian might be do-able. Then on departure, flowers, chocolates, and/or alcohol, depending on your hosts, may be easier and just as well received.

In spite of what you may have heard, apple pie isn't American anyway! Some sort of biscuits that are specifically Floridian might be do-able. Then on departure, flowers, chocolates, and/or alcohol, depending on your hosts, may be easier and just as well received.

If you insist that the only way Americans can claim Apple Pie as their own is by having originated it, then you're right. However, there is a very, very strong connection between apples, apple pie, and America. Here's an excerpt from the web site "Today I Found Out" explaining that association. (URL below)

"Perhaps one of the contributors to making apple pies an “American” dessert is John Chapman, a Massachusetts man you probably know better as Johnny Appleseed. Born in Massachusetts in 1774, Chapman traveled through America’s frontier planting apple orchards largely in Pennsylvania and Ohio. Though he was considered a strange, eccentric person, Chapman did not plant apple trees at random; rather, he would plant his orchards and return years later to sell the land for a higher price. It’s estimated he walked around 10,000 miles before his death, and his way of life—usually walking around barefoot in the wilderness with just a knife for protection—earned him a spot as a tough but caring frontiersman and an American folk hero. Chapman’s beloved apples became “American” by association.

"Apple pie was further cemented in American history by a 1902 newspaper article that claimed “No pie-eating people can be permanently vanquished.” American soldiers during World War II also did their part to popularize the stereotype. When asked by journalists why they were going to war, a common slogan used as a response was, 'For mom and apple pie' which later gave rise to 'As American as motherhood and apple pie'. Because most Americans are suckers for patriotism, apple pie was quickly adopted as the American thing by the 1960s. 'As American as apple pie', dropped the more obviously not unique American thing of “motherhood”....'

"In the end, America seems to have taken the apple pie and run with it, making it more popular. While American apple orchards [started along] a bumpy road to producing good apples, America quickly became one of the largest producers of apples. Nearly every farm grew apples during the United States’ infancy, and today over 220,000,000 bushels of apples are produced every year there. (It is second only to China, which produces roughly half of the world’s apples! Chinese as apple pie?)"

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/07/apple-pie-isnt-really-american/