Royal Caribbean running 20% off Beverage Packages... well, not really!

:mad:

Just got off the phone with RCI customer service and a CS supervisor. I got forwarded information that I could take advantage of a "20%" discount on their beverage package. So, I thought, "sure, why not?". I never buy these other than soda packages.

So, when I decided to go and order the Premium package at it's "20%" off price, it showed that... but then tacked on an additional 18% gratuity fee! Now, I'd be fine if somewhere on that ordering page (the one where you add beverage packages) there was some sorta mention saying, "Btw- our pricing here doesn't reflect the hidden gratuity fee"... then I'd have known about it up front.

But I searched that page high and low and there was nothing. When I called to complain, I was first given a person who seemed confused as well and who said he'd escalate me to a supervisor... then the supervisor (I will withhold his name here) came on and looked at the page and also seemed perplexed as he read the same thing. He put me on hold, and then came back and admitted that their webpage would need to be rectified and said he'd put that through to their web people to fix, but that if I wanted that "discounted" price, I'd have to pay the gratuity surcharge. And before any of you state that there's always a gratuity... I know that. But the webpage implies that it's already in this "great" discount pricing. I'm going back there and taking snapshots as I'm sure this will be fixed soon.

Being in a customer service industry, I know that when MY company screws up, we make it right for the customer by HONORING the price quoted. Not RCI! This is an unethical and grossly unfair way for Royal Caribbean to do business!

Apparently a "higher up" will contact me within the next two days and tell me the exact same thing... "Tough beans, you're stuck with it...". I'm really sick and tired of the ongoing downhill slide of Royal Caribbean over the past years. I've always been an over the top cheerleader for them, but they just seem so customer hostile these days.

Cheers,

Paul

They actually recently updated the flyer on the webpage. The old flyer DID say that 18% gratuity would be added, or specified when the 18% was already included.

Your outrage is somewhat misplaced, in that 18% gratuity is ALWAYS added to beverages. whether in a package or individually.

And if it bothers you that much, you can cancel the purchase before you complete it. No one is forcing you to buy the package, at any price.

Edited by Merion_Mom

They actually recently updated the flyer on the webpage. The old flyer DID say that 18% gratuity would be added, or specified when the 18% was already included.

Your outrage is somewhat misplaced, in that 18% gratuity is ALWAYS added to beverages. whether in a package or individually.

And if it bothers you that much, you can cancel the purchase before you complete it. No one is forcing you to buy the package, at any price.

And you just proved my point when you said, "They actually recently updated the flyer..." - they made a mistake. I have no misplaced outrage... I have a legitimate complaint.

As I alluded to earlier, I've always been a glass is half full person... and I've been accused (quite fairly perhaps) of being an over the top cheerleader for Royal Caribbean. If you re-read my original post, you'd note that the "Supervisor" told me that their page was in error. They admitted fault. They're position is, "So what?". If you think this is terrific customer service... well, as the old saying goes, "I have a bridge to sell you..." (my quote will spell it all out for you.)

I never saw an "old flyer" that had this info you're talking about. I already stated that I don't order drinks packages as a rule. But when the page says "20% Off..." you should expect to get that. It's certainly reasonable. It would be reasonable as well had they posted that there's an additional fee of 18%. The Supervisor (by his own admission) had to go off page and dig till he found something to read back to me and said he'd have to send me that link. That's outrageous!

I'm sure before that "Higher up" calls me back, the page will be corrected so that he can keep telling me it never said what it said. In the end, I chose not to select their drinks package on principle. (Btw- I forgot to state that this Supervisor did say that they occasionally DO wave the 18% fee if you are on cruises that aren't in the Caribbean... and then he asked me where I was cruising when we both knew he was looking at my reservation. Real quality that...)

What's the issue? 18% is added to all drinks.

Food & Beverage

Q: Are gratuities included in the all-inclusive beverage packages purchase price?

A: Gratuities are charged once in a lump sum (18%) at the time of purchase.

I fail to see the issue. You still saved 20%. That discount isn't available on all sailings.

My package saw a price drop due to an improvement in the Canadian dollar... Even though the price went down, 18% was still tacked on at checkout. No different than a la carte drinks or spa treatments.

Sounds to me like you're still saving money.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just got off the phone with RCI customer service and a CS supervisor. I got forwarded information that I could take advantage of a "20%" discount on their beverage package. So' date=' I thought, "sure, why not?". I never buy these other than soda packages.

So, when I decided to go and order the Premium package at it's "20%" off price, it showed that... but then tacked on an additional 18% gratuity fee! Now, I'd be fine if somewhere on that ordering page (the one where you add beverage packages) there was some sorta mention saying, "Btw- our pricing here doesn't reflect the hidden gratuity fee"... then I'd have known about it up front.

But I searched that page high and low and there was nothing. When I called to complain, I was first given a person who seemed confused as well and who said he'd escalate me to a supervisor... then the supervisor (I will withhold his name here) came on and looked at the page and also seemed perplexed as he read the same thing. He put me on hold, and then came back and admitted that their webpage would need to be rectified and said he'd put that through to their web people to fix, but that if I wanted that "discounted" price, I'd have to pay the gratuity surcharge. And before any of you state that there's always a gratuity... I know that. But the webpage implies that it's already in this "great" discount pricing. I'm going back there and taking snapshots as I'm sure this will be fixed soon.

Being in a customer service industry, I know that when MY company screws up, we make it right for the customer by HONORING the price quoted. Not RCI! This is an unethical and grossly unfair way for Royal Caribbean to do business!

Apparently a "higher up" will contact me within the next two days and tell me the exact same thing... "Tough beans, you're stuck with it...". I'm really sick and tired of the ongoing downhill slide of Royal Caribbean over the past years. I've always been an over the top cheerleader for them, but they just seem so customer hostile these days.

Cheers,

Paul

Where does the webpage "imply that the gratuity is included"?

And you just proved my point when you said' date=' "They actually recently updated the flyer..." - they made a mistake. I have no misplaced outrage... I have a legitimate complaint.

As I alluded to earlier, I've always been a glass is half full person... and I've been accused (quite fairly perhaps) of being an over the top cheerleader for Royal Caribbean. If you re-read my original post, you'd note that the "Supervisor" told me that their page was in error. They admitted fault. They're position is, "So what?". If you think this is terrific customer service... well, as the old saying goes, "I have a bridge to sell you..." (my quote will spell it all out for you.)

I never saw an "old flyer" that had this info you're talking about. I already stated that I don't order drinks packages as a rule. But when the page says "20% Off..." you should expect to get that. It's certainly reasonable. It would be reasonable as well had they posted that there's an additional fee of 18%. The Supervisor (by his own admission) had to go off page and dig till he found something to read back to me and said he'd have to send me that link. That's outrageous!

I'm sure before that "Higher up" calls me back, the page will be corrected so that he can keep telling me it never said what it said. In the end, I chose not to select their drinks package on principle. (Btw- I forgot to state that this Supervisor did say that they occasionally DO wave the 18% fee if you are on cruises that aren't in the Caribbean... and then he asked me where I was cruising when we both knew he was looking at my reservation. Real quality that...)[/quote']

The gratuity is included in the full price when sailing out of the UK (and possibly other European and/or Asian ports) because they are unaccustomed to our American method of tipping. THAT is what the rep meant about different markets.

Thanks Paul, that's useful information.

When ever I've bought the drinks package in years past I've never had a grat added it's always included in the price quoted.

Does seem like a bait and switch.

On Royal Caribbean?

I got forwarded information that I could take advantage of a "20%" discount on their beverage package. So' date=' I thought, "sure, why not?". I never buy these other than soda packages.[/quote']

Is this just a promo for a certain ship or something? I haven't added my drink packages, but it doesn't show me anything about a discount on that page and I never got an email about it. Is there a promo code? I already expected the 18% grat so I am totally cool with getting 20% off! :)

Thanks Paul, that's useful information.

When ever I've bought the drinks package in years past I've never had a grat added it's always included in the price quoted.

Does seem like a bait and switch.

Royal does confuse the matter by switching between listing prices with gratuity included and without gratuity included. I suspect this back and forth is their way of trying to hide price increases. The current way they list the beverage package prices is without gratuity. About a year ago, the prices were listed with gratuity included.

Is this just a promo for a certain ship or something? I haven't added my drink packages, but it doesn't show me anything about a discount on that page and I never got an email about it. Is there a promo code? I already expected the 18% grat so I am totally cool with getting 20% off! :)

It seems to be just on certain sailings[emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Where does the webpage "imply that the gratuity is included"?

The gratuity is included in the full price when sailing out of the UK (and possibly other European and/or Asian ports) because they are unaccustomed to our American method of tipping. THAT is what the rep meant about different markets.

I'd like to see where it "implies" that the gratuities are included as well. Sounds more like an, aha I got ya, you forget to put this in so i'm entitled to not to pay it! Kinda like those customers buying somethine with no price on it, Oh it must be free. Haha....

Sorry, nice try. Like the other posters are saying, you are still saving 20% and yes you have to pay the gratuity whether it states it or not.

Realistically, not being clear as to whether or not grats are included is by far the least of their websites issues lol!!!

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader here, but they owe you nothing. It's not like you purchased and then they charged the 18% after the fact. You can either purchase the package at the discounted rate or not purchase it. While I'll give you that they could be clearer on the packages as a whole, you really are making much to do about absolutely nothing.....

The first time I ordered a drink package and it said service charge $$ I called up and asked and was told it is the 18% gratuity yadda yadda... When I just logged in and looked at my cruises... I didn't see where it said the gratuity but when you go to your cart it is there.

To the OP, I am sorry you feel you should get the 20% off plus not have to pay for the 18% gratuity. You should be thankful they are only charging 18% of the discounted fee rather than 18% for the regular price like most companies would do.

attachment.php?attachmentid=382667&stc=1&d=1460522023

udp.jpg.394e86335e7bc64986204a6e02dce24d.jpg

I have more sympathy with the OPs position and confusion. For those who say RCI "always" adds the gratuities on at the checkout, I have just done a test booking of the premium package for our upcoming Harmony cruise (no 20% discount unfortunately!), went as far as the checkout page and there is no mention of gratuities, so I can only assume they are included in the single price shown.

It's not clear if this is what the OP saw originally, but if this package was subsequently offered at 20% discount, I would expect that to be 20% off this full package price that I see now, not 20% off, then 18% grats added back.

The one thing I have learned over the years with RCI is that consistency in the way they advertise, charge, display information is very low on their priorities, so I can understand how us customers can get confused. Those that say RCI 'always' does one thing or another just mean they personally may not have seen it another way, but there may be plenty of people out there who have!

856172671_ScreenShot2016-04-13at09_10_55.jpg.1cf001de47c237729aee1646a1160b20.jpg

Hi, We have got the select drinks package free on our 2 week cruise in October. Will they add 18 % gratuity to our onboard account. ??

I don't believe so. It has not been Royal's practice to add gratuity to a "free" beverage package. That is an NCL practice that so far Royal has not adopted.

I could understand OP's upset if the ad said 20% off with gratuity included but it did not so there really should have been no question that they would have been tacked on. Gratuities are expected to be added unless it is advertised specifically that they are included. Just like with the cruise fare - sometimes there are advertised specials where gratuities are included but most of the time a price is given and people understand that gratuities will then be added to that price.

My son receives an Ultimate Beverage Package free on his NCL cruise. However, he has to pay the gratuity of almost $80 to get it. I think that's something to complain about. Getting 20% off one you purchase means you're getting 20% off your gratuities, too, so RCCL is giving you a win-win.

I think I understand the point of the OP. I went back and looked at my notes from our Allure cruise in May 2014. My DH bought the premium package that was shown on the site for $55.00 x7 totalling $385.00. That's what we were charged, and I know because I kept the papers that show it. In other words, the gratuity was already included in their price shown I had printed the webpage that showed the price. I think that was their point.

We are cruising the Med in September and we got him the premium package at the 20% discount, but when I went to checkout the price was different because they then added the gratuity at checkout.