Alaska

saturn3

We are booked on the Grand Princess to Alaska May 31,2016. This will be our first cruise outside of the Caribbean. Packing may be a little different as far as clothing to wear, will we have to concentrate more away from shorts and tee shirts bathing suits. For long pants maybe jackets, and sweaters??

Don't forget the long silk undies. I was very comfortable with those on, every day with the exception of the one day at Tracy Arm Fjord. Plus, as been already posted, dress like an onion, layers, and layers🤓.

Edited by Treven

We went early July last year- 10 days

one minute I am wearing tank top and shorts in port- another layers/long sleeve jeans and jacket.

I did bring a bathing suit, but never bothered to swim.

Choose layers that layer comfortably, a windbreaker type jacket is most versatile!

It was my 10th cruise and the hardest to pack for....but I was lucky- I had first class- so my luggage weight did not matter!

We were amazinlgy blessed- not one drop of rain!

Bernadette

I would look into light-weight rain gear (jacket and pants) like what the backpackers use. They are in little stuff sacks.

On our AK cruise in 2008, we did not get rain. But the rain jacket was good for breaking the wind on deck as we were in Glacier Bay.

If you have eye glasses or sunglasses, use the straps that allow them to hang on your neck. The wind blew my brother-in-law's glasses off his head. When we finally made it to Anchorage he had to hang around to have new glasses made before he could head up to Talkeetna.

You most likely will have fleece or a sweater to wear on board anyway since the showrooms are quite cold normally. Take another layer or two.

If worse comes to worse, buy a warmer jacket in port. My mother-in-law had a light hoodie and was freezing. My mother let her use her coat and then purchased a warmer jacket in Ketchikan for $20.

I was wondering the same thing!

One more question....

Trying to travel with only one suitcase, I read everywhere that Alaska is casual.

We are also doing a 6 day land tour with Princess.

SOOOO What would pass for me on"Formal" night in the main dining room?

Hubby is easy.! Thanks in advance...

You need a breathable waterproof packable outer jacket --it can rain a lot! A light fleece jacket as an under layer --so your rain coat needs to fit over the fleece. Waterproof shoes and pants that will dry easily or can be thrown into a dryer on-board. Gloves and a hat or headscarf for Glacier Bay day. You can also need clothes for warm days --they become the bottom layers for the cold days. Think I wore capris once.... Don't forget sunscreen!

I was wondering the same thing!

One more question....

Trying to travel with only one suitcase, I read everywhere that Alaska is casual.

We are also doing a 6 day land tour with Princess.

SOOOO What would pass for me on"Formal" night in the main dining room?

Hubby is easy.! Thanks in advance...

Alaska is casual but dress suggestions on-board still prevail. I have a long black travel dress from Chicos that I bling-up when I cruise. Many ladies wear black pants and dressy tops.

I hope you are referring to one suitcase each! The cold weather clothes can take up more space than warm weather ones.

My question is about suitcases / luggage on the land portion.

Years ago when we went to Alaska, we were only allowed to take a carry-on with us on the train. (We left our cruise clothes in a suitcase back at the hotel we would be returning to in Anchorage.) But this time, we're not returning to the same hotel-- we end up in Fairbanks.

What am I allowed to take on the buses/train? Is it a matter of the luggage is simply not accessible during the bus/train travel but it does arrive at each Princess lodge?

Shoes should be waterproof too (we just spray our sneakers/walking shoes with waterproofing spray) and don't forget a hat and gloves.
I loved that my shoes are waterproof when we had a couple of rainy days in Alaska. And I can't believe the number of people who were not wearing warm hats and gloves during the glacier viewing.

We are booked on the Grand Princess to Alaska May 31,2016. This will be our first cruise outside of the Caribbean. Packing may be a little different as far as clothing to wear, will we have to concentrate more away from shorts and tee shirts bathing suits. For long pants maybe jackets, and sweaters??

It's a big difference, pack warm clothing like you said.

My question is about suitcases / luggage on the land portion.

Years ago when we went to Alaska, we were only allowed to take a carry-on with us on the train. (We left our cruise clothes in a suitcase back at the hotel we would be returning to in Anchorage.) But this time, we're not returning to the same hotel-- we end up in Fairbanks.

What am I allowed to take on the buses/train? Is it a matter of the luggage is simply not accessible during the bus/train travel but it does arrive at each Princess lodge?

Your luggage on the land portion generally goes by truck, separately from your train. The only carry on for the train must fit under the seat. We have done Alaska cruise tour twice; we had a small tote to carry with us for medications and valuables. We had one suitcase each for clothes for the land portion with the more casual clothing; that suitcase always went separately from us and always reached the lodge where we were to stay. We also had one suitcase for the two of us that contained our nicer clothes that we wore only on the ship. That was kept by Princess and taken to our final Alaska hotel for the night prior to flying home or boarding the ship. We always follow suggested dress codes for the ship; sometimes tux, sometimes sport coat.

We did the 13-day (6 day land-7 day cruise) Connoisseur from Fairbanks to Vancouver last May/June. It was 91 degrees when we landed in Fairbanks on May 23 :eek: We thought we had never left Florida!! So, yes, it is necessary to pack a little bit of everything. We were certainly glad we had packed a pair of shorts.

Alaska is very casual and it is OK to not be very dressy at dinner on the ship. I packed a pair of black slacks and a few nice tops. Hubby wore nice khakis and a button down shirt or polo shirt. We never felt out of place. And yes, bring a little bit of everything. It was freezing the days we cruised Glacier Bay and the other glaciers. Otherwise, the weather was temperate...in the 60's...and we did get a little bit of rain in Ketchikan and it poured in Juneau. So glad we had purchased waterproof windbreakers and pants online from Sierra Trading. They were inexpensive and quality. We're using them again for our transatlantic to the British isles.

Alaska was amazing! You will have a wonderful time :)

We live in the Pacific Northwest and when we go to Alaska we just wear what we’d wear here in late September. So just take and wear what you’d wear in Rhode Island in late September. On Glacier day I’ve seen some pretty comical things that people were wearing on deck, snowmobile suits, arctic foul weather gear, etc. I’ve never waterproofed anything that I’ve worn on a cruise to Alaska.

Booked for the beginning of September, wondering if the weather will be comparable to May or will it be colder? Trying to plan ahead as well on how to pack layers and which ones to take.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Booked for the beginning of September, wondering if the weather will be comparable to May or will it be colder? Trying to plan ahead as well on how to pack layers and which ones to take.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It can be rainy in September. Just waterproof your shoes and take a rain jacket and hat or umbrella. It was a little cool but not cold.

Packing

1 heavy jacket(waterproof best) for glacier viewing

1 light jacket

Sweatshirt

Maybe a dress jacket or shaw

This is all you should need have cruised Alaska May through Sept. and this is all we really needed even though we packed more.

Inside ship activities Capri's or pants DH wears shorts most of the time during the day.

When going on shore we did layer usually a light shirt with a sweatshirt or jacket to take off as needed.

Alaska is not as cold as you may think it is cool and when the wind is blowing on deck as the ship is moving it can be cold but step inside and it is comfortable again. Pools are always busy on all the cruises we have been on.

Enjoy

Ship moves very slowly in the Inside Passage, so wind usually isn't a problem. We got heavy rain in Ketchikan on one trip, moderate rain in Juneau on the other with 70 degrees pretty much the rest of the time in September. Friends had 50 degrees and drizzle in July. We wore shorts in Talkeetna and Denali. Do take wind and waterproof outer layer, then anything comfortable underneath. At least with cruisetours you get two sets of luggage - need onboard and need with you, plus small carryon. If you are on the train the seating is old kitchen booths, with only the space under your seat for your carryon. See the cruisetour answer book for more information - link on this page: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/cruisetours/cruisetours_alaska.jsp

Thank you Eagle CW from all the posts I have read and we live in RI it seemed like in June it rains all the time and you have to bring all kinds of foul weather gear. I am still wondering about the waterproofing of shoes , yes we will be on excursions but we hopefully won't be walking through puddles of water. Glacier Bay I can see being chilly and dress for that but if June in Alaska is like late September weather in RI maybe hat ,gloves etc won't be necessary

Saturn

Thank you Eagle CW from all the posts I have read and we live in RI it seemed like in June it rains all the time and you have to bring all kinds of foul weather gear. I am still wondering about the waterproofing of shoes , yes we will be on excursions but we hopefully won't be walking through puddles of water. Glacier Bay I can see being chilly and dress for that but if June in Alaska is like late September weather in RI maybe hat ,gloves etc won't be necessary

Saturn

We cruised Alaska the first week in July 2007 and the first week in August 2012. The advise you have received on changing weather conditions and to be prepared for any eventuality is spot on. For me there is a direct correlation between being comfortable and enjoying myself.

Ketchikan is one of the rainiest places in the US and on our 2007 trip it was a drizzly day but we certainly weren't going to stay on the ship and miss our opportunity to visit the town and see the Misty Fjords. In 2012 it was so hot we were peeling off layers and got sunburned. On the 2nd trip in Skagway there was intermittent rain (heavy at times and then it would stop) but again, it didn't stop us from sightseeing. On both trips we had clear weather in Glacier Bay and College Fjord but it was cool (don't forget that the ship is underway) out on deck - which is where you want to be - and after awhile you will be glad you have gloves and a hat. In 2007 in Denali it was warm enough for shorts. And believe me your feet can get wet just walking around if the rain is strong enough; no need to jump in puddles!