Alaska

saturn3

Well I guess never been to Alaska I really did not realize the ever changing weather. I guess that means fleeces warm clothing comfortable shoes, rain gear, shorts and tee shirts. Not much left not to bring!! :)

I Have read posts where people have brought wine and other alcohol onboard. I did not think this was allowable???

Only wine and champagne are allowed. One bottle (750 ml) per adult passenger is free upon embarkation. You can bring on additional bottles at embarkation for a $15 per bottle corkage fee.

Minor hijack: I just printed our boarding passes and luggage tags for our June Alaska cruisetour. It's the first day they have been available. Sorry... I'm just a bit on the "excited" side.

On topic: We haven't figured out what we are packing yet. 6 day land tour followed by the 7 day southbound. A bit different than packing for a regular cruise. It will be kind of odd not having any "night" while we are there.

Edited by Thrak

It will be kind of odd not having any "night" while we are there.

That was quite an experience and one of things that makes a summer trip to Alaska (and Norway too) so special.

During our cruisetour in early July 2007, on the evening we were at the McKinley Lodge we sat on their lovely deck (along with almost everyone else hoping to see the mountain) but gave up and went to bed at 11 pm - in daylight. We did leave our name at the front desk in case the 'mountain came out'. A half an hour later we (and just about everyone else at the lodge) received the call. That resulted in lots of half dressed people :eek: with cameras running out of their rooms in case visibility didn't last long :D. We went to bed after 1 am and it was still light outside.

You will also see beautiful flowers in the summer - the growing season is short but it is 24/7. The flowers in downtown Anchorage were gorgeous.

Minor hijack: I just printed our boarding passes and luggage tags for our June Alaska cruisetour. It's the first day they have been available. Sorry... I'm just a bit on the "excited" side.

On topic: We haven't figured out what we are packing yet. 6 day land tour followed by the 7 day southbound. A bit different than packing for a regular cruise. It will be kind of odd not having any "night" while we are there.

I'm in that dilemma also. We usually pack a 24" bag each with clothes for about 7 days -- with crossover of clothes in case one gets "lost". I think we may still do that and do laundry on our first day on-board. Possible will send a carry-on to the ship with a few items we will not use on the land component. We are on the June 11 Star Princess southbound -- luggage tags printed already :D

Yes, bring a sleep mask. I was surprised that the curtains in the lodges didn't go all the way to the floor and let in quite a bit of light, especially at 2 AM in the morning!!!

We have cruised mostly the Caribbean smooth sailing. Once to Hawaii the Pacific was a little different than the Caribbean's smooth glass waters, wondering about the seas to Alaska and how smooth it will be. Not that we have an issue with it, just trying to be prepared.

This photo was taken at the Hubbard Glacier May 27th 2012 of my sister and wife.

escape.jpg

Two days later it was over 70ish degrees for the remainder of the cruise.

framer

Edited by framer

This photo was taken at the Hubbard Glacier May 27th 2012 of my sister and wife.

escape.jpg

framer

This is exactly why I wished I had my ski jacket with me when the ship I was on did the Tracy Arm Fjord! On the remainder of my cruise I was comfortable with the clothes I'd brought with me.

Has anyone done any excursions through a third party company that is reputable and is close to where the ship docks for pickup??

I highly recommend Harv and Marv in Juneau for whale watching and a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier and Chilkoot in Skagway for the White Pass railroad (train up into the Yukon and bus back down or vice versa).

I highly recommend Harv and Marv in Juneau for whale watching and a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier and Chilkoot in Skagway for the White Pass railroad (train up into the Yukon and bus back down or vice versa).

Ditto the Chilkoot tours for the Yukon trip - it was one of the best excursions we have ever taken.

eclue:rolleyes:

You definitely need layers. It could be 50 and rainy or 70 and sunny and likely everything inbetween! Bring solid shoes for walking and a warm jacket. Sweaters, hoodies, and jeans are most common. I doubt you will be wearing shorts, but there may be some days warm enough to jump in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check out ketchikanoutdoors.com We did a Zodiac boat tour with them on our last visit (booked through the ship but you can book direct with them) and it was so much fun that we've booked it again for our visit next month!

Also, not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but if you don't have your own binoculars, I would definitely suggest buying a reasonably priced pair or borrowing some from a friend. The ship did have some in the room but they weren't the best.

escape.jpg

framer

I know every year is different, but did you get very close to hubbard glacier?

Did you guys use chillkoot to book train up and bus back. Is it true if you book through this company they have the last car reserved on the train?

That was our experience in 2012. In addition to having the last car - making the views from the viewing platform down the mountain incredible - they restricted the number of tickets to 1/2 the number of seats so everyone could sit on the 'good side' (left side up).