Port help-what is that person's title/name?

emelle

Awhile back, while soaking up knowledge here on the boards, I read about the Celebrity "person" who is in each port....and how, particularly if you were on private shore excursions, it would be a good idea to secure their contact information before you go in case of an emergency while you were ashore.

Unfortunately, now I cannot remember the exact title for that person, hence I can't successfully search the boards to find that info again. Can someone with more knowledge, or a better memory help?:confused:

Thanks, emelle

emelle

The person is usually Celebrity's port agent but you do not need to worry about it. The name, address and telephone number will be printed on the port information sheet handed out each port day. There should be one delivered to you stateroom with your Celebrity Today as well as be handed out as you leave the ship.

On another thread, someone recommended taking a phone photo of the port agent's information that is posted in the daily. Should you need it, you'll have the information with you without toting the daily.

Betsy

On another thread, someone recommended taking a phone photo of the port agent's information that is posted in the daily. Should you need it, you'll have the information with you without toting the daily.

Betsy

Interesting, I usually don't take my phone as it doesn't work in foreign ports, but at any rate it certainly is bulkier and weighs more than a folded up piece of paper.:confused:

Having a phone in port can be a lifesaver. I've read of people getting left behind and it was their only way of connecting with love ones still on the ship. The port agent will only make calls to get you on a flight to the next port. Another time, cruise passengers were in a bad accident and the phone helped get emergency assistance to them quicker.

I don't remember all of the important phone numbers I may possibly need in a crisis situation, but my phone does. I also carry a picture of my passport in it. Parents can have pictures of their children in their phone in case one of them gets separated from them. While I understand your desire to be unplugged on vacation, there are viable reasons to bringing a phone with you in port.

International rates aren't so bad anymore and there is no way I'd leave my phone behind now after reading about so many incidents on land. I always take a picture of the daily paper that has the port agent's information in it. To each his own but I bet if you got in an unexpected circumstance, you'd be asking to borrow my phone. :D

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Interesting, I usually don't take my phone as it doesn't work in foreign ports, but at any rate it certainly is bulkier and weighs more than a folded up piece of paper.:confused:

There you go-mocking the young and brainless. Without at least a cell phone (if not more) their body ceases to function.

Have fun calling the Port Agent without your phone, especially if you try to borrow one and can't speak the language!

We take the port agent's info with us even tho we do not take usually our phone unless port is in our AT&T plan..

The port agent info came in handy on St Maarten when our Celeb shore excursion van failed to pick 10 of us up at Bucaneer Beach...the resort mgr lent us a phone so we could report in....another van was dispatched eventually, and we got a 50% credit back.via Celeb..We know the ship would not have left without us but involving the port agent got results....slow but steady!

Next time we will get the AT&T international plan for a short period and take our phone.just in case! We learned that if you miss the ship, the port agent can arrange with the cruise line for your passport ,wallet, other ID and meds to be obtained from your safe/stateroom & held for u at the pier...big assist in getting flights out to next port or back disembark port.

on our cruise 12 who were on their own did in fact miss the ship! Bad traffic, poor planning,

That's another good reason to take ship's excursions or make sure you can walk to the pier... taxis sometimes are not available or do not come back as promised....(had that in St Kitts,but pier was modestly walkable from our resort)

Thanks all, I knew I could find the help here.

I will bookmark this thread so in case I forget it (again) I will have it on file. And I appreciate the idea about the phone picture.

My husband was involved in an accident breaking his shoulder (not his fault) on our last cruise, while on a shore excursion. While we were within walking distance of the ship and went back to get help, it showed me how quickly things can change, no matter how careful you are. I don't use the phone to connect to home while on vacation, but if needed for an emergency, you will have to pry it from my fingers with a pair of pliers! :)

on our cruise 12 who were on their own did in fact miss the ship! Bad traffic, poor planning,

That's another good reason to take ship's excursions or make sure you can walk to the pier... taxis sometimes are not available or do not come back as promised....(had that in St Kitts,but pier was modestly walkable from our resort)

Although the cruiselines use that scare tactic to encourage boking their shore excursions it is not failsafe, RCI left a group of their own behind on our Med Cruise.

Thanks all, I knew I could find the help here.

I will bookmark this thread so in case I forget it (again) I will have it on file. And I appreciate the idea about the phone picture.

My husband was involved in an accident breaking his shoulder (not his fault) on our last cruise, while on a shore excursion. While we were within walking distance of the ship and went back to get help, it showed me how quickly things can change, no matter how careful you are. I don't use the phone to connect to home while on vacation, but if needed for an emergency, you will have to pry it from my fingers with a pair of pliers! :)

Agree! We will be taking our phone...

And things can change quickly.....

Friend of ours had a fall in a narrow alley in Italy outside a restaurant...it was a cruiseline excursion...because of that the bus driver...parked a distance away, tour assistant and Celeb reps did everything they could possibly do to assist getting her from the alley to the bus and back to the ship for med attention.....disaster avoided! Btw...local police watched it happen but offered no help at all!

.on one cruise our tour bus broke down in Costa Rica jungle area en route to the ship...it was a ship's excursion...they sent a replacement bus and held the ship......imagine a private tour bus there!

In Victoria BC, traffic was really jammed....our tour bus was late returning to port.. but once again..it was a ship's excursion and ship was held...

Although not a guarantee or perfect...we usually take ship's tours ...unless we know the port well and feel secure with our own resources/language skills etc...Being prepared as possible (just in case) is the way to have a great port visit..

Edited by hcat

When we visit ports where the language is very different to English and especially where the alphabet is different, I use google translate to produce a number of flash cards with phases such "Cruise Terminal" and "Toilets" and, if going independently, the name of our destination. Those with smartphones could have these "flash cards" on their 'phone.

Interestingly, in South Korea, the taxi drivers carried flash cards showing all the different cruise ships that visited their port and showed them to us so that we could point to our ship.

----We learned that if you miss the ship, the port agent can arrange with the cruise line for your passport ,wallet, other ID and meds to be obtained from your safe/stateroom & held for u at the pier...big assist in getting flights out to next port or back disembark port.

hcat

Presumably the passengers must be stranded many a mile away!

Up until now, I've just cut the port agents info out from the daily, but I will remember the phone camera in future. Thanks.

Having a phone in port can be a lifesaver. I've read of people getting left behind and it was their only way of connecting with love ones still on the ship. The port agent will only make calls to get you on a flight to the next port. Another time, cruise passengers were in a bad accident and the phone helped get emergency assistance to them quicker.

I don't remember all of the important phone numbers I may possibly need in a crisis situation, but my phone does. I also carry a picture of my passport in it. Parents can have pictures of their children in their phone in case one of them gets separated from them. While I understand your desire to be unplugged on vacation, there are viable reasons to bringing a phone with you in port.

International rates aren't so bad anymore and there is no way I'd leave my phone behind now after reading about so many incidents on land. I always take a picture of the daily paper that has the port agent's information in it. To each his own but I bet if you got in an unexpected circumstance, you'd be asking to borrow my phone. :D

We always carry our phones with us. To many reasons not to. We don't have a fancy camera since we really aren't picture people, but if we want to take a photo we use our phone. They can take some nice pictures.