Free range, antibiotic free, humanely raised

Shorowitz7

Hi,

Does anybody know whether Celebrity serves meat, poultry or eggs from free range, antibiotic free or humanely raised chicken, cows, etc.?

Thank you

Nope , don't know where they get their rotting flesh from dead animals .

Hi, Does anybody know whether Celebrity serves meat, poultry or eggs from free range, antibiotic free or humanely raised chicken, cows, etc.? Thank you

From doing the ship kitchen tour with Celebrity, plus in talking with staff on other cruise lines, most of the food items are shipped in from the USA. But, I have never seen many things marked on the menus as being "organic" and/or with any other such "marketing" labels. Two questions?

How do we really know if things labeled as "organic" really are done that way and if that makes much of a tangible, proven health difference? Having been on farms where chickens are roaming around loose and eating whatever is "handy" does not always make me feel that much better than things being under properly controlled conditions.

Second, cost? When in the grocery store last week, those eggs that are supposedly more free-range and organic, the price was about 50% higher. Do cruise customers want to pay the premium prices for eggs, meat, etc., done that way? On a Solstice ship for the passengers and crew, they need to serve about 14,000 meals each day from the seven different kitchens. Having two different sets/groups of eggs, etc., would make things more complicated, costly and challenging.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,062 views for this posting.

Hi,

Does anybody know whether Celebrity serves meat, poultry or eggs from free range, antibiotic free or humanely raised chicken, cows, etc.?

Thank you

The only thing that you can be sure of is that they serve dead meat, poultry and eggs. I am also not willing to pay more for my cruise to get free range, antibiotic or humanely raised stuff. I personally really do not care as long as the stuff is not contaminated.

DON

You can't be serious?

Is this a problem for you?

FYI Last year they had a number of dishes that are SPE certified. SPE certification addresses the subject of this thread. However, I've been unable to find out whether they've continued with providing the healthier and sustainable options.

From doing the ship kitchen tour with Celebrity, plus in talking with staff on other cruise lines, most of the food items are shipped in from the USA. But, I have never seen many things marked on the menus as being "organic" and/or with any other such "marketing" labels. Two questions?

How do we really know if things labeled as "organic" really are done that way and if that makes much of a tangible, proven health difference? Having been on farms where chickens are roaming around loose and eating whatever is "handy" does not always make me feel that much better than things being under properly controlled conditions.

Second, cost? When in the grocery store last week, those eggs that are supposedly more free-range and organic, the price was about 50% higher. Do cruise customers want to pay the premium prices for eggs, meat, etc., done that way? On a Solstice ship for the passengers and crew, they need to serve about 14,000 meals each day from the seven different kitchens. Having two different sets/groups of eggs, etc., would make things more complicated, costly and challenging.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,062 views for this posting.

We too have been told that provisions, especially meat, are shipped from the U.S. But we've never asked if the meat was free-range, etc.

Hi,

Thank you

Although I eat that way at home, I highly doubt that when needing to serve food in such huge quantities, would permit any cruise line to go to the trouble of purchasing as well as the cost of procuring organic meats, fruits or veggies, etc. The cost is normally 2-3 times more than conventional foods.

I'm content that at least I can get gluten-free and low carb any time I want it. Then I go back to organic and humanely raised when I get home!

In these days of cutting costs, I hardly think it's even a fathomable question. But there is no such thing as a stupid question, right? So ask away!! :)

I'm sure I read somewhere recently about Royal Caribbean / Celebrity moving towards more ethical supply of some food items. I remember reading that it was going to happen over a long time and remember thinking why is it taking so long.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently about Royal Caribbean / Celebrity moving towards more ethical supply of some food items. I remember reading that it was going to happen over a long time and remember thinking why is it taking so long.

Thanks. Last year Celebrity several options under the SPE certification which addresses these concerns

Well at least there is talk about it. That's a start, considering it's a very growing and explosive market. Just found this article, again it's just baby steps. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-cruiselines-adopt-cage-free-eggs-20151231-story.html

I believe that last year the Aqua Spa Cafe met these requirements.

But a full specialty restaurant along the lines of Qsine would be best

I think that Aqua Spa Cafe "tries" and their salmon is the best on the ship. However their smoothies are terrible. I am a smoothie "expert" haha, and last month, the fellow making it was reading a recipe out of a book. That told me there is not much training in that area. My husband and my smoothies, were not even drinkable, we threw them out.

Hopefully, someone from Celebrity is reading this suggestion!! :)

I would pay extra to know that food is ethically produced!

Thanks to Terry in Ohio....perhaps a few photos are due:rolleyes:

I asked this specific question on the galley tour on my last Celebrity cruise, and was told that sourcing free range foods was not a practical option.

Here in the UK, humane sourcing of foodstuffs is of increasing importance to consumers, and we find it very easy to source free range eggs and meat, and organically produced vegetables etc.. However we get the impression that the American market is happy with intensively produced foodstuffs and some of the comments here reinforce this view. So I don't think we are going to see any move away from hormone and antibiotic laced meat stuffs or intensively produced eggs any time soon, especially where cost cutting takes priority over welfare.

I would pay extra for a speciality restaurant that served a quality free range and organically produced menu.

I asked this specific question on the galley tour on my last Celebrity cruise, and was told that sourcing free range foods was not a practical option.

Here in the UK, humane sourcing of foodstuffs is of increasing importance to consumers, and we find it very easy to source free range eggs and meat, and organically produced vegetables etc.. However we get the impression that the American market is happy with intensively produced foodstuffs and some of the comments here reinforce this view. So I don't think we are going to see any move away from hormone and antibiotic laced meat stuffs or intensively produced eggs any time soon, especially where cost cutting takes priority over welfare.

I would pay extra for a speciality restaurant that served a quality free range and organically produced menu.

+1

One thing to consider....animals fed with growth hormones....people eat these animals.......is that why Obesity is rife.....:eek:

Animals routinely fed with antibiotics...people eat these animals.......is that the reason that people develop resistance to antibiotics...:(

Just a thought

Edited by turnip eater

Here in the states it is also becoming increasingly important to consumers, not the majority who are content with processed crap, but important to many. The market is increasing with more and more farmer's markets, organics offered in supermarkets and restaurants here in my city.

That being said, the complacent majority would eat ANYthing offered on a cruise ship, without discernment or question. And this is why organics on a ship is not a practical option. And you are correct, profit is more important than health.

I, too, would pay extra for this most attractive option!

Also an important topic for myself; something I practice in my day-to-day life (both in regards to restaurants I frequent and groceries I purchase) but I do not expect it to be carried out on a mass market cruise ship. I also would be a fan of a specialty restaurant featuring organic, free range, hormone/antibiotic free etc. foods. Would probably dine there nightly! Am glad to see this becoming a more spoken about topic; it is very important - while change has been too slow, things are starting to trend in the right direction in the US.

Thanks for the post OP and bringing this topic to the forefront.

"The Cornucopia Institute" is a very interesting organization that does studies/reports on organic foods. At the site linked to below, they have three reports available; Carrageenan, Eggs, and Yogurts. I have not read the Carrageenan Report (or even know what it is), but I have read the other two, and they are eye openers. The full reports are very detailed and really help with understanding the issues of organic foods.

I recommend that you download and read at least the studies on eggs and yogurts. They also have score cards where they rate brands of either eggs or yogurts based on specific criteria. The yogurt report was the most depressing to me, you really have to look hard to find a brand that is any better than junk food. If you look at the yogurt score card for your favorite major brand, I suggest that you start at the bottom and work up the list, it will likely be a very short trip.

http://www.cornucopia.org/

....animals fed with growth hormones....people eat these animals.......is that why Obesity is rife..... Animals routinely fed with antibiotics...people eat these animals.......is that the reason that people develop resistance to antibiotics.. Just a thought

turnip eater: I would pay extra to know that food is ethically produced! Thanks to Terry in Ohio....perhaps a few photos are due

For turnip eater' date=' is there [b']any science, medical studies[/b], etc., to back up the "thought" and opinions on the wrong kind of animal production causing obesity and human resistance to antibiotics? Just curious?

What exactly does "ethically produced!" mean in legal and/or practical terms? The term "organic" sounds good, too, but there seems to be serious confusion, differences and conflict for how such standards are measured and delivered.

Sorry no pictures on these subjects and questions.

ECONOMICS? Several have raised good questions for how practical would be these potential practices. For Solstice-class ships with about 4,000+ passengers and crew, the major marketing question centers around how much more would a sizable number of paying customers be willing to pay for making these added selections/supplies work and be economically feasible.

Tell us more for how this would and could work on cruise ships where such supplies are not always close and handy and cheap.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 211,343 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

OK - well as someone with a past agriculture background - I'll just say it this way. When it comes to livestock - while I appreciate your desire for free range, no growth hormones etc., in the end these animals are all slaughtered. For your food. So if eating a chicken that didn't have free range bothers you - perhaps you should check into how all chickens, pigs, cows, lambs go to slaughter. They don't put them gently to sleep. Just saying. :cool:

+1

One thing to consider....animals fed with growth hormones....people eat these animals.......is that why Obesity is rife.....:eek:

Animals routinely fed with antibiotics...people eat these animals.......is that the reason that people develop resistance to antibiotics...:(

Just a thought

I totally agree with points 1 and 2 of your post with regard to feeding animals growth hormones. However, the conclusion that there is a causal relationship between ingestion of growth hormones and obesity is not necessarily true. Can you provide us with a reference to a peer reviewed scientific paper that supports this conclusion. A link to a site from a health guru with an agenda is not sufficient. I would like to see a reference to a respected peer reviewed scientific journal.

I do agree with your 2nd point with regard to antibiotics. This has been extensively studied and the relationship is valid.

DON