NOLA Mardi Gras on Equinox....need info please

Hydrokitty

I booked the 2/20/17 Mardi Gras cruise while on board the Eclipse 2 weeks ago. I found the thread about this cruise but the latest post was in 2015. Here's my dilemma:

We've never been to New Orleans and have NO interest in attending Mardi Gras but DO want to visit the Laura Plantation, sail on the Natchez and be able to walk around the French Quarter. As of today, Celebrity has no shore excursions listed for our 2 full days in port except reserved seating for the Mardi Gras parade, which leaves the ship at 6:30 a.m. and costs $250 per person!!! I read my AAA guide and find that all the plantations and other attractions are closed "on Mardi Gras"....does anyone know if that means Fat Tuesday ONLY or is it like the whole week because apparently the Mardi Gras season begins in January!! Has anyone done this cruise or is this the first time it's ever been done and that's why posts started in 2014 and ended in 2015? If it's not been done before, perhaps someone who lives in NOLA could tell me what to expect.

The issue you are going to have is the area of docking is home to all the big parades in NOLA that week... to get in and out will be utter clutter... most of the streets are closed for a portion of the day. If you are not interested in Mardi Gras itself, I would honestly suggest you visit our great state another time of the year to enjoy the sites you are interested in seeing. Hope you to see you in Sportsman's Paradise soon.

It is basically the entire week. The french quarter will be wall to wall people except in the morning. The big issue in a plantation is how to get there? Only suggestion is to call the Laura and ask them. Getting out of the riverfront area will be a challenge as buses and trolley routes are changed and operate on a partial schedule.

Celebrity did that cruise so people could see Mardi Gras- nothing else. reserved seating is well over a hundred dollars. Thus the $250 tour is not bad. If trolley is running do lunch at Commanders Palace. great food and 25 cent martinis! My personal suggestion is #1 to discuss on the roll call for your cruise, #2 call the plantation, #3 take a look at places within walking or trolley distance, #4 call several places of interest - museum, Old Mint and find out when or if open.

PS - Agree with the other poster. If you are not interested in Mardi Gras come visit another time. NOLA is a wonderful place and any other time you could spend a week in a flat in the French quarter and visit everything easily for far lass $$.

I agree with others...if you're not interested in Mardi Gras itself I think you'd be better off picking a different cruise. Not only are you paying a premium for the cruise itself, many of the things you want to do in NO and the surrounding areas are going to be inaccessible/crowded/expensive.

Unfortunately this may not be the cruise for you. We have been to New Orleans and Mardi Gras several times because our friends live near the French Quarter and host several parties. I was/am really interested in this cruise. We would get the traditional cruise and then be able to use the ship as home base during Mardi Gras so we didn't have to intrude on our friends and stay at their house.

For the premium you will be paying for the experience, I would be very careful when planning what you intend to do while in port. The entire town shuts down and shifts it's focus to everything Mardi Gras. Normal tours and attractions will be closed or have modified hours or prices. Crowds increase significantly. You will be able to walk around, but be aware the scenery and atmosphere is going to be quite rowdy! Maybe YouTube some videos to see exactly what you're getting into. There are times when it is not for the faint of heart!

I think it would be a great cruise, but if I didn't have the urge to actually attend some of the Mardi Gras festivities, I definitely would not be willing to premium. Compared to the 10 night on Equinox we would be paying a minimum of $3700 more for this cruise. I'd hate to spend that much extra and be disappointed with what was offered.

Thank you everybody....I really appreciate the honest responses and I will talk it over with DH tonight and give some really serious thought to changing this cruise while it can do it without penalty! I failed to mention that I don't like seriously crowded places...so this was probably a bad choice all around...fortunately we can fly southwest from our local airport to yours and that is a far better plan....besides I can give up my cabin to someone who's wait-listed and really wants to go.

You do NOT want to visit New Orleans during Mardi Gras - which is the two weeks preceding, but particularly the Sun, Mon and Tues of Mardi Gras. I live close, I know New Orleans, I wouldn't go on a bet. Not any more. And not as a tourist hoping to get a glimpse of something. No glimpses then. Not of the city, anyway. No place - and let me get graphic here a bit - to use the restroom really. And that doesn't stop a lot of people.

First of all, there's no "walking around the French Quarter." Not then. Not a chance. Sure, any time in the year you can, but Mardi Gras is it's own time of special crazy. No normal rules apply.

I live 75 miles from the French Quarter and we have spent our entire lives going ELSEWHERE for MG if we can. Disney, ski vacations, cruises - etc. But obviously living here my whole life I've been to Mardi Gras countless times, and I'm done with it. It's dangerous now too. Not like when we grew up, you could stand on Canal Street and walk around behind the line of people at the parade. There's not place behind the line. It's the line watching the parade and the crowd elbow to elbow for entire blocks of people behind the line.

I don't know what people are expecting when they cruise and go there but it's not like going to the Rose Bowl parade, that's for sure. You're not going to get little nice rides on the Natchez. It's craziness like you can't believe. Maybe You Tube has some stuff about it. If you don't want Mardi Gras, you travel to New Orleans another time or stay on the ship.

The stores - many of them - and restaurants - many of them - will be closed, and you literally can't walk down the street. The city shuts down except for the parades and bars. It will smell and be full of people drunk and in crazy clothing (or no clothing at all) shoving and pushing and yelling and it's a virtual sea of humanity. Wall to wall, literally. Literally.

Hm, what else? The parades will be all through the city for two weeks ahead of time, and many more on that weekend, and parades in the cities and towns of Louisiana and each one crazier than the last. We have great ones here in Baton Rouge that aren't so crazy. Think 10-15 people deep, all screaming for plastic beads and trinkets you can get at Walmart. Send me your address, I can send you a ton of stuff. Cheap worthless stuff. :D

New Orleans is lovely but that's not the time to visit if you want to experience walking the beautiful French Quarter. Come a month later when the flowers are in bloom, when it's still cool enough for a light sweater in the evenings, and the pace is slower. You can stroll anywhere, ride the trolley, eat in all the great places, see the plantation homes all up and down the river from below NO to Baton Rouge and up to where the most and best are: St. Francisville to Natchez, MS. Magazine Street is fun to shop on, and really if you've not experienced the French Quarter it's great, but so is the Garden District (where I like) and Commander's Palace restaurant.

I have a feeling (and this is just my opinion) that a lot of people are going on this cruise and really have no clue what they're going to walk out onto. Groups of 10 people are going to get split up and lose each other in the mass of humanity. I'm looking forward to reading how people reacted. I expect to read that many will take 10 steps off the ship and go back on immediately.

Gosh, this sounds dreadful, huh!

I booked the 2/20/17 Mardi Gras cruise while on board the Eclipse 2 weeks ago. I found the thread about this cruise but the latest post was in 2015. Here's my dilemma:

We've never been to New Orleans and have NO interest in attending Mardi Gras but DO want to visit the Laura Plantation, sail on the Natchez and be able to walk around the French Quarter. As of today, Celebrity has no shore excursions listed for our 2 full days in port except reserved seating for the Mardi Gras parade, which leaves the ship at 6:30 a.m. and costs $250 per person!!! I read my AAA guide and find that all the plantations and other attractions are closed "on Mardi Gras"....does anyone know if that means Fat Tuesday ONLY or is it like the whole week because apparently the Mardi Gras season begins in January!! Has anyone done this cruise or is this the first time it's ever been done and that's why posts started in 2014 and ended in 2015? If it's not been done before, perhaps someone who lives in NOLA could tell me what to expect.

I think you are looking at the wrong thread. This is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2325941

This thread is very active it has already been split with 10 months to sail and 400 Plus CC members. Check out "Beba-Beba" She is running an amazing spreadsheet.

Thank you everybody....I really appreciate the honest responses and I will talk it over with DH tonight and give some really serious thought to changing this cruise while it can do it without penalty! I failed to mention that I don't like seriously crowded places...so this was probably a bad choice all around...fortunately we can fly southwest from our local airport to yours and that is a far better plan....besides I can give up my cabin to someone who's wait-listed and really wants to go.

Having previously resided in NOLA and having attended Mardi Gras seven years, if you no not like crowds (especially massive and boisterous crowds) stay away from New Orleans during Mardi Gras - the craziness last from several days before Fat Tuesday through early afternoon of Fat Tuesday. You will not be able to have even a remotely normal New Orleans' experience during that time period and if you are not interested in actively participating in the craziness/festivities, it is a terrible time to be in the city. Wonderful city to visit the rest of the year (though summer months can be incredibly hot and humid).

Hydro, you might also want to take a serious look at the roll call for this sailing. I think it's a packed ship and as I recall they had a bazillion posts. Not sure if that may be what you are looking for.

You do NOT want to visit New Orleans during Mardi Gras - which is the two weeks preceding, but particularly the Sun, Mon and Tues of Mardi Gras. I live close, I know New Orleans, I wouldn't go on a bet. Not any more. And not as a tourist hoping to get a glimpse of something. No glimpses then. Not of the city, anyway. No place - and let me get graphic here a bit - to use the restroom really. And that doesn't stop a lot of people.

First of all, there's no "walking around the French Quarter." Not then. Not a chance. Sure, any time in the year you can, but Mardi Gras is it's own time of special crazy. No normal rules apply.

I live 75 miles from the French Quarter and we have spent our entire lives going ELSEWHERE for MG if we can. Disney, ski vacations, cruises - etc. But obviously living here my whole life I've been to Mardi Gras countless times, and I'm done with it. It's dangerous now too. Not like when we grew up, you could stand on Canal Street and walk around behind the line of people at the parade. There's not place behind the line. It's the line watching the parade and the crowd elbow to elbow for entire blocks of people behind the line.

I don't know what people are expecting when they cruise and go there but it's not like going to the Rose Bowl parade, that's for sure. You're not going to get little nice rides on the Natchez. It's craziness like you can't believe. Maybe You Tube has some stuff about it. If you don't want Mardi Gras, you travel to New Orleans another time or stay on the ship.

The stores - many of them - and restaurants - many of them - will be closed, and you literally can't walk down the street. The city shuts down except for the parades and bars. It will smell and be full of people drunk and in crazy clothing (or no clothing at all) shoving and pushing and yelling and it's a virtual sea of humanity. Wall to wall, literally. Literally.

Hm, what else? The parades will be all through the city for two weeks ahead of time, and many more on that weekend, and parades in the cities and towns of Louisiana and each one crazier than the last. We have great ones here in Baton Rouge that aren't so crazy. Think 10-15 people deep, all screaming for plastic beads and trinkets you can get at Walmart. Send me your address, I can send you a ton of stuff. Cheap worthless stuff. :D

New Orleans is lovely but that's not the time to visit if you want to experience walking the beautiful French Quarter. Come a month later when the flowers are in bloom, when it's still cool enough for a light sweater in the evenings, and the pace is slower. You can stroll anywhere, ride the trolley, eat in all the great places, see the plantation homes all up and down the river from below NO to Baton Rouge and up to where the most and best are: St. Francisville to Natchez, MS. Magazine Street is fun to shop on, and really if you've not experienced the French Quarter it's great, but so is the Garden District (where I like) and Commander's Palace restaurant.

I have a feeling (and this is just my opinion) that a lot of people are going on this cruise and really have no clue what they're going to walk out onto. Groups of 10 people are going to get split up and lose each other in the mass of humanity. I'm looking forward to reading how people reacted. I expect to read that many will take 10 steps off the ship and go back on immediately.

Gosh, this sounds dreadful, huh!

Nope, Claudia that was just what I needed to hear!!! From you and the others who posted. I live about 50 miles from NYC so I know what craziness is...only tourists go to Times Square on New Year's Eve :D I will definitely visit NOLA probably later in the spring. I booked this on board the Equinox and I guess I let the cruise fever take over my better judgment!! Not to infer that people who go won't have a wonderful time....it's just not for me I still have issues with crowds following 9/11 and from what you describe I would hate this as much as I can tell you would hate Times Square on New Year's Eve.Thank you, all of you for telling me what I needed to know and hear!!! Now looking at transatlantic from FLL to Barcelona in April. :D

Hello,

Not to "pile on" as to what others have said...but you have probably made a wise decision to consider another cruise, and visit NO at another time for your first visit, and since you have no interest in Mardi Gras...this coming from someone who has also lived in NO; and someone who has worked in NO; and someone who has worked in NO as a Law Enforcement Officer; and as someone who has worked in NO as a Law Enforcement Officer assigned to the French Quarter during Mardi Gras !! Not a great time to enjoy the myriad of wonderful and exciting cuisine, cultural, historic and interesting things that the Crescent City has to offer. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely loved living in, and then cruising in/out of NO after I moved away...but you won't be able to experience the best it has to offer, aside from the Mardi Gras activities, during this cruise timeframe !

But do plan a cruise to/from there when you can...it is wonderful !! And do plan stay awhile...

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

Hello,

Not to "pile on" as to what others have said...but you have probably made a wise decision to consider another cruise, and visit NO at another time for your first visit, and since you have no interest in Mardi Gras...this coming from someone who has also lived in NO; and someone who has worked in NO; and someone who has worked in NO as a Law Enforcement Officer; and as someone who has worked in NO as a Law Enforcement Officer assigned to the French Quarter during Mardi Gras !! Not a great time to enjoy the myriad of wonderful and exciting cuisine, cultural, historic and interesting things that the Crescent City has to offer. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely loved living in, and then cruising in/out of NO after I moved away...but you won't be able to experience the best it has to offer, aside from the Mardi Gras activities, during this cruise timeframe !

But do plan a cruise to/from there when you can...it is wonderful !! And do plan stay awhile...

BBL

Would a week be good?

If you follow the link that plimouth pilgrims posted just above, you'll find the current roll call for the cruise in question. The first one got too big and Cruise Critic moved us to a new one. At the rate things are going, I would not be surprised if we wound up with a third version.

However, based on what you've said, this is probably not the cruise for you. I'm curious about Mardi Gras and figure that this is probably the easiest way to enjoy it. When I get tired of the craziness on the street, I can retreat back to the quiet cruise ship. I'm not surprised that the rest of the city shuts down during Mardi Gras, there's probably a lot more fun to be had (and maybe more money to be made) by being involved in the celebration

We're booked for this cruise and the ports of call are great. The roll call is filled with fun and interesting people and I'm sure if the traffic on the streets of New Orleans is unbearable, we'll have our own Mardi Gras party on the ship. We want the New Orleans Mardi Gras experience. That's what we signed up for! I even heard we're going to learn how to dance!!

Nope, Claudia that was just what I needed to hear!!! From you and the others who posted. I live about 50 miles from NYC so I know what craziness is...only tourists go to Times Square on New Year's Eve :D I will definitely visit NOLA probably later in the spring. I booked this on board the Equinox and I guess I let the cruise fever take over my better judgment!! Not to infer that people who go won't have a wonderful time....it's just not for me I still have issues with crowds following 9/11 and from what you describe I would hate this as much as I can tell you would hate Times Square on New Year's Eve.Thank you, all of you for telling me what I needed to know and hear!!! Now looking at transatlantic from FLL to Barcelona in April. :D

Good move rethinking this, I've done both Times Square and Mardi Gras, Times Square is lame compared to Mardi Gras.

I am on this cruise, too. DH and I have been to NO several times. DS went to Tulane. We just cruised from there last spring.

I think we have a good idea about what to expect. We have joined a group from our ship that has reserved a restaurant with drinks and grand stand seating on St Charles for Monday's parades. . . . and we plan to attend the Lundi Gras activities along the riverfront during the day Monday.

paulh84--Most of us booked this cruise as soon as it come out in Dec 2014. The ship filled fast. The price really jumped 2 months later. Yes, prices are pretty high now, but few of us will be cancelling. We would never get this cruise again at the price we paid.

We're booked for this cruise and the ports of call are great. The roll call is filled with fun and interesting people and I'm sure if the traffic on the streets of New Orleans is unbearable, we'll have our own Mardi Gras party on the ship. We want the New Orleans Mardi Gras experience. That's what we signed up for! I even heard we're going to learn how to dance!!

Loujul: You guys have a wonderful time...I'm sure you will....I took all the advice I was given, cancelled this one and rebooked a Nov, 2017 reposition from Rome to FLL. I think we'll all be happier!!! :D

Reading all this has been sobering to say the least. While on Eclipse this month we innocently booked the 2018 Reflection cruise for New Orleans Mardi Gras and a few other port calls. Now I must say I am having serious doubts about the wisdom of this cruise because much of what you all have described about crowds and rowdy behavior can be had in Key West's Fantasy Fest easier and cheaper.

I am going to look at other Celebrity cruises for nearly the same time frame. My main fear is maybe we'll lose some benefits by changing cruises. Thank you all for your expert advice. This had really opened my eyes.

Reading all this has been sobering to say the least. While on Eclipse this month we innocently booked the 2018 Reflection cruise for New Orleans Mardi Gras and a few other port calls. Now I must say I am having serious doubts about the wisdom of this cruise because much of what you all have described about crowds and rowdy behavior can be had in Key West's Fantasy Fest easier and cheaper.

I am going to look at other Celebrity cruises for nearly the same time frame. My main fear is maybe we'll lose some benefits by changing cruises. Thank you all for your expert advice. This had really opened my eyes.

Hi Gangway...I just booked transatlantic Mediterranean cruise for Nov, 2017...I lost $100 of my $200 OBC for booking onboard..but none of MY money. I did lose gratuities and internet but only because I booked transatlantic....apparently no perks are available for them. If you want to book something else and it's equal or better than Mardi Gras you should be able to transfer everything.

Thank you, Hydro Kitty. I'm going to look into what changes we can make. We booked the Mardi Gras cruise on a whim and obviously had not done our usual thorough homework on that cruise. Thank goodness for Cruise Critic. Also, thank goodness our cruise isn't until 2018, so we have plenty of time to investigate other options.

Thank you, Hydro Kitty. I'm going to look into what changes we can make. We booked the Mardi Gras cruise on a whim and obviously had not done our usual thorough homework on that cruise. Thank goodness for Cruise Critic. Also, thank goodness our cruise isn't until 2018, so we have plenty of time to investigate other options.

Hello Gangway Style,

Please don't misinterpret what I, and perhaps others were saying. These overnight Celebrity cruises in New Orleans look fantastic, and I only wish my wife and I were able to partake as well. It would be great to enjoy some of the festivities, and then retire to the ship in the "early morning" hours and gaze out at the movement on the Mighty Mississippi !! My response was mainly geared towards the OP and the fact that they had NO interest in enjoying the Mardi Gras activities...which although I have witnessed the worst of...I have also participated in and enjoyed the best of ! Tens of Thousands of people will enjoy the Mardi Gras season for all the wonderful activities, sights and revelry associated with it...and will be anxious to return and do it again !! It is an exciting time in the City !

Hope I didn't make things sound too disappointing in my previous post !

Happy Cruising

BBL

DW and I are booked on the 2/20/17 NOLA sailing and we're also a bit apprehensive about the massive crowds. However, after reading all 5600+ posts on our roll call (cudos to beba for managing this monster) we've decided that Mardi Gras is a great bucket list item to cross off, and this cruise is a wonderful way to do it. Even if we aren't able to view the parades close up we can lurk at the periphery and enjoy people watching. If things get too crazy we'll just head back to the ship where Ill have my high powered binoculars. We are a bit disappointed though that X hasn't offered any excursions yet other than the overpriced bleacher spot.