Summit PH Balcony Furniture

jcpc

Where you satisfied with the quality of the furniture? It looks very average.

What furniture pieces are on the balcony - how may loungers, table with chairs for how many etc?

Was anything done to the interior?

I have been impatiently awaiting information on the Summit updates in general and the Penthouse.

Edited by Heartfelttraveler

Where you satisfied with the quality of the furniture? It looks very average.

What furniture pieces are on the balcony - how may loungers, table with chairs for how many etc?

Was anything done to the interior?

I have been impatiently awaiting information on the Summit updates in general and the Penthouse.

I don't board the ship until April 23rd. A friend of mine working on the ship sent me these photos. I think the new furniture looks rather "cheap". But I'll reserve final judgement until the 23rd. I do believe that the table and chairs (6 chairs) are still on the balcony. So, I think in addition to what you see in these pictures, there is a table and chairs. I'll post more on the 23rd.

The interior did get a refurbishment. The bathroom sinks were changed and the hot tub in the bathroom was replaced. The the walls in the living room/bedroom now have a light colored look to them (no more all wood).

I'm disappointed to see this cheap looking furniture as well.

We are sailing in the PH in Aug and the pictures I've seen of the comfy looking chaises and chairs that were there looked so much better and had me dreaming of afternoons lounging with a favorite cocktail.

These loungers look exactly like what I have in my yard, certainly nothing luxury about them.

I will wait for your report JCPC!

Agree, this looks like a major downgrade from the prior furniture. Loved the comfy, well cushioned loungers on Millennium in the Penthouse a few years ago. Definitely was time to refresh the furniture, but something of at least equal quality would be nice. The items in the picture look very similar to some very inexpensive lawn furniture I saw for sale at Target last spring when I was shopping for furniture for my home's patio.

I don't board the ship until April 23rd. A friend of mine working on the ship sent me these photos. I think the new furniture looks rather "cheap". But I'll reserve final judgement until the 23rd. I do believe that the table and chairs (6 chairs) are still on the balcony. So, I think in addition to what you see in these pictures, there is a table and chairs. I'll post more on the 23rd.

The interior did get a refurbishment. The bathroom sinks were changed and the hot tub in the bathroom was replaced. The the walls in the living room/bedroom now have a light colored look to them (no more all wood).

If those are, in fact, the chairs now on the PH deck, and they are not comfortable, please do me a favor and toss them overboard and ask for the old ones back. Thanks in advance.:):rolleyes:

The chairs and ottomans are the same as in aqua class cabins. They are okay but certainly not cushy and comfortable as the old ones. The chaises are hard as a rock. They don't have any give in the fabric. And no cushion for the small of your back or neck. Terrible for lounging and reading.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Maybe Captain Kate told the Butlers to take a few hours off, go to Target or Costco, pick up some furniture for the PH balcony, some frozen weenie-tots, and a hula-girl bobblehead for the bridge of the ship.

Sorry to buck the trend but I believe that the new furniture is so much better. We spent so much effort trying to rescue the old cushions whenever it rained [or the sea was rough] and then trying to dry them out when we did not succeed. The new furniture appears to be of the type we now have at home [not that cheap] which does not absorb water and dries very quickly with no effort at all.

It is also lighter when you want to move it out of [or into] the sun.

I wish they would make the change on the S-class ships as well. I do not find the old furniture particularly comfortable.

Sorry to buck the trend but I believe that the new furniture is so much better. We spent so much effort trying to rescue the old cushions whenever it rained [or the sea was rough] and then trying to dry them out when we did not succeed. The new furniture appears to be of the type we now have at home [not that cheap] which does not absorb water and dries very quickly with no effort at all.

It is also lighter when you want to move it out of [or into] the sun.

I wish they would make the change on the S-class ships as well. I do not find the old furniture particularly comfortable.

Thanks for the reassurance, Sue! I did love the squidgy lounger, though! We have only PH in the Caribbean so far with the weather behaving itself!

Will be looking out for reviews from those who experience them re how comfortable they are....I would lie on that squidgy lounger for hours in the evening, brandy in hand looking up at the stars, hope the new ones are soft!

Agree, this looks like a major downgrade from the prior furniture. Loved the comfy, well cushioned loungers on Millennium in the Penthouse a few years ago. Definitely was time to refresh the furniture, but something of at least equal quality would be nice. The items in the picture look very similar to some very inexpensive lawn furniture I saw for sale at Target last spring when I was shopping for furniture for my home's patio.

Agree, this looks like a major downgrade. Modern luxury, my foot. It may be modern but it sure looks cheap and uncomfortable and so not luxurious.

If I go thru with my PH Summit Cruise on May 1st I'll just have my 7 year old daughter hop the balcony to JCPC's Penthouse and we'll schlepp some cushions from their room and use it for our balcony. My girl just got her green-belt in Kid Karate so she's pretty agile like that.

Also this way I can truthfully tell the school that her 1 week absence was educational (being resourceful) , so it won't count against her attendance record.

See, a cruise is what you make of it. Gotta find silver linings.

If I go thru with my PH Summit Cruise on May 1st I'll just have my 7 year old daughter hop the balcony to JCPC's Penthouse and we'll schlepp some cushions from their room and use it for our balcony. My girl just got her green-belt in Kid Karate so she's pretty agile like that.

Also this way I can truthfully tell the school that her 1 week absence was educational (being resourceful) , so it won't count against her attendance record.

See, a cruise is what you make of it. Gotta find silver linings.

Note to self: Keep balcony door locked at all times so nobody can enter room and steal cushions from the couch and chairs!! :D Seriously, though, I hope those chairs are comfortable. I tend to spend a good portion of my day on the balcony.

Edited by jcpc

Yes me too.

This time I'm hoping to do more lunch on the balcony because I really truly don't want to do the buffet thing. Wondering what kinds of things I can have Butler bring up for nice lunches on the balcony. I can't do ruckus in the buffet any more - but DW likes the variety so hoping for a few nice relaxing lunches on balcony.

Don't forget that Luminae is open for lunch on sea days too. So, that's an option.....along with Bistro on 5 and I would imagine Tuscan Grille might have a lunch menu too.

We do breakfast and lunch in our room every day and the butler brings us pretty much whatever we want (if it's on the ship!) I haven't been to either the breakfast or lunch buffet in quite a few years now.....and I don't miss it!

That will be my plan for the April 23rd cruise. But the May 1st cruise I have my whole family getting on the ship in Bayonne on May 1 (including 2 children - 1 and 3 years old), so my "routine" may vary a bit for the May 1 sailing.

OK jcpc here's a rather stupid question but i'll ask it anyways. Can you give some ideas as to what you had the Butler bring for lunch? Obviously I can see menus but I"m trying to get some ideas, as in did you just have burgers? Or a whole elaborate italian buffet?

Want to utilize the balcony more and avoid the buffet hence I'm asking for suggestions

OK jcpc here's a rather stupid question but i'll ask it anyways. Can you give some ideas as to what you had the Butler bring for lunch? Obviously I can see menus but I"m trying to get some ideas, as in did you just have burgers? Or a whole elaborate italian buffet?

Want to utilize the balcony more and avoid the buffet hence I'm asking for suggestions

When we were staying in the summit PH we mentioned to our wonderful butler that we loved Indian food. Lunchtime selection sorted...We asked for 'family style' to share and a wonderful selection of dips, curries were provided...

The more we cruise suites the more we find the butlers love to add to your holiday enjoyment. It is much easier for them, however, if you sort in advance. We arranged our Indian lunch the day before...If you are planning on dining in the room most lunchtimes discuss it with your butler on boarding...I am sure he/she will look after you!

After saying that last minute we simply ordered a couple of soups, pizzas and salads from room service on our last cruise (yes we could have dined in Luminae or Bistro) and you know the standard was really good, service was prompt...so even if you are in a suite remember the options open to all!

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi JEDIKNIGHT,

Actually, we're pretty "low maintenance" as we usually just ordered large garden salads for lunch with some shrimp cocktail. A few times we asked for some pasta and he brought it with no problem. But the butler did stress to us that he would get us anything we wanted from any of the restaurants onboard....we just chose not to partake in a big lunch.

For breakfast he did bring us items from the Luminae menu.

I do agree with what chemmo said regarding the butlers....especially when you stay in the PH. They will bring you basically whatever you want if you let them know in advance.

Of course, I have heard of some butlers who are very "strict" when it comes to what you can and cannot have. So, unfortunately, I think a lot depends on whether you get a "good" butler.

jcpc

I do agree with what chemmo said regarding the butlers....especially when you stay in the PH. They will bring you basically whatever you want if you let them know in advance.

Of course, I have heard of some butlers who are very "strict" when it comes to what you can and cannot have. So, unfortunately, I think a lot depends on whether you get a "good" butler.

I am not sure how to put this without risking being flamed but I will say it anyway: Much also depends on how the guest interacts with his/her butler. Some cultures appear to believe that one should treat "staff" without any respect. Some people when they feel uncomfortable in a new situation [in this case having to interact with a butler] do not handle the situation as well as they ought. Anyone who remembers that their butler [or, come to that, any of the crew on board] is a fellow human being whose job just happens to be trying to make your cruise even better and speaks to their butler as they would like to be spoken to is likely to find that less things are against the rules.

Of course, you have to remember that Celebrity "penny-pinches" by refusing to provide their butlers with crystal balls so you do have to speak to your butler so that he understands what would make your cruise great. May I suggest that shoving a list into his hand on day one may not be the best way to build a relationship.

One last point: it pays to let your butler know what you would like to achieve but not how to achieve it. He usually has much better suggestions than you - after all, he spends far more time on board than you.