bear watch in Ketchikan

CruzinNoony

We are doing a B2B in August on the Ruby Princess. Has anyone done the ship tour "Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition". Is it worth it? Did you see bears from the overlook? Are there private tours going to the same place or is there a way to DIY?:rolleyes:

We are doing a B2B in August on the Ruby Princess. Has anyone done the ship tour "Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition". Is it worth it? Did you see bears from the overlook? Are there private tours going to the same place or is there a way to DIY?:rolleyes:

I did this excursion through Holland America Line in July and saw bears. The swinging bridges (keep thinking "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull" movie) between the trees may not be everyone's cup of tea. When our guide pointed out some bear fur on the overlook, all of us on the tour looked at each other. I don't know about private tours.

hdv_0143-10.jpg

I'll speculate, that you'll have to be accepting of not seeing any bears, and the sightings are less than 50% of the visits. Superior are the fly ins with Traitor's Cove being my choice in August.

If you are just interested in maybe possible bear viewing, AND have a long port time, then I'd rent a car. There are a few areas you can try, I've not had a lot of luck myself.

if you want feedback on any specific excursion you should post the link or copy the description.

Due to the high expense of a bear watching excursion, I'd want to go to a location that provides a very high probability of sightings ( like an established blind or platform, not a 'search') , and I'd go during the peak time frame to increase that probability. And do you care whether it's brown bear or black ? This link is a good start for research.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

Edited by mapleleaves

We've been to Alaska a few times but done only one bear viewing. We went to Anan Creek a few years ago. Amazing! We did an independent excursion with Island Wings and the flight there and back was part of the fun. We spent a few hours there and saw tons of bears--some of them were very close! It was one of the best excursions I've ever taken. Here's one of my favorite photos from the day.

<a href=082007_Ketchikan_414.jpg' alt='082007_Ke

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

if you want feedback on any specific excursion you should post the link or copy the description.

Due to the high expense of a bear watching excursion, I'd want to go to a location that provides a very high probability of sightings ( like an established blind or platform, not a 'search') , and I'd go during the peak time frame to increase that probability. And do you care whether it's brown bear or black ? This link is a good start for research.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

I checked the link and there is a tour called "bear country & wildlife expedition" that sounds just like the Princess tour of the same name. The difference is that the Princess tour is $200.00 + and the other one is $79.00.:eek:

I checked the link and there is a tour called "bear country & wildlife expedition" that sounds just like the Princess tour of the same name. The difference is that the Princess tour is $200.00 + and the other one is $79.00.:eek:

Yes this is the same location. Independent has to get there and back however, on their own.

I think you were looking at the price of the rainforest hike.

Is this Herring Cove tour the one you are considering?

http://spiritofalaskatours.com/Tours/Wildlife-Expedition.html

I hadn't seen this one that you gave me the link to. I will look into this. The video that I watched looks fantastic. I believe this is just what I want and it is a few dollars cheaper than the Princess tour. I just have to call them to make sure they pick up at the pier. :cool:

I've seen a massive price difference at this particular site (whether pricing it out via the ship or via an independent booking) between the "with bear viewing" and "without bear viewing" options. Essentially the base tour is $79 or so, and the +bear loop tour is $199 or so.

• 3 weeks later...
Amazing photo Quilting Cruiser. What time of year was that? From what I understand, bear sightings need to be in mid to late July through August.

It was the third week of August. We spent a few hours watching the bears and there was never a time there weren't at least a couple bears within view.

I was looking at this too (as a few of my family members may not want to take a float plane to view bears). Norwegian offers the tour for $229 for adults (a touch less for 12-year-olds--minimum age allowed to go on tour but still priced as kids).

Alaska Forest Sanctuary (is this the actual vendor or 3rd party?) offer is for $199 and then may apply a $10 web discount.

http://reservations.alaskarainforest.com/express/reservation/

When I looked for my trip days, Alaska Forest Sanctuary was booked, but Norwegian still had availability.

I would imagine the $79 tour is not the same thing. The price difference of $20-$30 between an independent vendor and the cruise ship is what I am seeing for many different excursions. For heli/galcier tours, it's more like $40-$50, but for others, the difference isn't as great.

Just for information, if anyone is interested in Anan Creek with Island Wings, I just saw this review, posted on a thread about a different excursion, but has an excellent review and photos of this tour.

This excursion is posted near the end of their lengthy review, I think around page 9??? Post #168.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093748&page=9

PS: Thank you BrusselsGirl07 (Yvette) for the exceptional review and photos!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Just for information, if anyone is interested in Anan Creek with Island Wings, I just saw this review, posted on a thread about a different excursion, but has an excellent review and photos of this tour.

This excursion is posted near the end of their lengthy review, I think around page 9??? Post #168.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093748&page=9

PS: Thank you BrusselsGirl07 (Yvette) for the exceptional review and photos!

We have taken the Anan Creek bear watching tour with Island Wings twice and had a wonderful experience each time.