Independence of the Seas Photo Review & Tour - Feb. 22 - 27

Trip: Feb. 22 - 27, 2016

Ship: Independence of the Seas

Length: 5 days

Embarkation and Debarkation port: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Ports: Fort Lauderdale --> Day at Sea --> Falmouth, Jamaica --> Labadee, Jamaica --> Day at Sea --> Fort Lauderdale

About us: 25 and 29 year old couple who got engaged on this cruise!

Drink package: Yes - Premium - all five days - both of us (bought on debarkation day 1)

Dining: My Time Dining

Crown and Anchor: Platinum

--

Hello! My name is Sarah and me and my (now fiance) travelled on the Independence of the Seas (details above) in Feb. 2016. I took a large amount of photos in the hope to post on this forum, as I want to help it as much as it helped me.

Some background on us: My BF at the time cruised twice before me: once in Europe on Voyager, and once in FL in college on Majesty. We met after we both graduated college and, about a year into our relationship, he suggested us going on a cruise. I was skeptical at first, but I did some research (OK a lot of research) and we did an 8-day on the Grandeur out of Baltimore (my home state; my mother was able to drive us and pick us up from the port). BF's parents did a lot of cruising when he was younger, so we auto hit 22 points on that cruise (and made Platinum once we were over!) I loved it so much (seriously, I was talking about our next one, which ended up not being for 1+ year afterwards, as soon as we were walking down the gangway) that I was hooked. After a dry spell of 1+ years, I eventually convinced BF to do another cruise (even though we had already booked Harmony this September 2016 with his family). In November 2015, we booked this cruise based on price, location and length.

Also, about us, because I guess that's what's important: BF and I have been together since early 2013, living together since 2014, and we got engaged on this cruise! He's in his late 20's and I am in my mid-20's, both of us hoping to work our way up the chain to take more vacation in the future :)

We picked this cruise because we enjoyed CocoCay on our last cruise (esp. drink package on the island) and wanted another private island. The length worked for us because it left a lot of PTO for our 2-week Europe trip this September. The biggest stretch for us was flying. We eventually used our credit card points to fly Spirit (more on that later) direct from Baltimore, MD to Fort Lauderdale, FL. as well as to book our pre-cruise hotel.

Pre Cruise

As I said, we were able to book our direct flight from Baltimore, MD to Fort Lauderdale, FL the day before our cruise (2/21/16) with our credit card points. Spirit is a "low cost" airline and I was OK with this, because it cost less of our points. WRONG (at least in BF's mind)

Spirit, unlike typical airlines, does not allow for checked baggage. Being chronic over packers, BF and I decided to pay the extra $25/each way for the bags, which meant that we were not only able to take on a carry on each, but check our bags. This turned into quite a debacle, meaning that we tried to pack 40 pounds into our one bag, realized we had packed 52, unpacked to 43, realized we needed to pay for the extra 10 pounds, and repacking to maximize that ten pounds. This was all the morning we were due to drive up to MD and was quite the debacle - and the main reason why BF won't fly Spirit again (I'm not really sure I agree...more on this later).

After spending the rest of the day with my parents, before embarking on a pretty quick (though not pain-free) journey through BWI security, we were on our way to vacation!

NOTE: BF and I had got into a small "fight" (a tiff, if you will) the night before. He had been very anxious the past few days and, finally, somewhat admitted that he was nervous because he didn't think we would be able to fly on our credit card points (a flimsy excuse, looking back now) and would relax once we got into FL. /end note (though please note this note, as it is important later)

25848501084_c8147f69c3_z.jpg

After having two beers in the airport bar (and me declaring it was finally vacation - BF still being "nervous"), we had boarded Spirit and were on our way to Fort Lauderdale. BF's complaints with Spirit both lodged with the extra for the baggage, but also with the inability to order peanuts/drinks without paying which I learned was one of his fave things on a flight (this was our first time flying together after almost three years of dating...we had both flown separately through this time, but never together! Funny). I convinced him to order some dumb Margarita bombs that Spirit sells (too sweet, but in retrospect, was a good way to celebrate finally being on vacation) and off we went.

Ft. Lauderdale airport itself was quick and efficient, with us getting off the plane, going through baggage and waiting in the taxi line, we were on our way to the hotel in less than 45 minutes (which is pretty great!)

We were staying at Rodeway Inn and Suites, which is a wonderful hotel, but we had read a lot of Yelp reviews before leaving. We decided to trust the morning-of shuttle, but not the airport-to-hotel shuttle as that is supposedly very late. We decided that the $20 for a taxi was worth not waiting.

I wish I had taken a picture of the lobby of the hotel - it wasn't *bad* but it was definitely tacky. Did that change my opinion of the place? Not at all. It was worth spending the night, and definitely served its purpose.

25848518644_fac79fe526_z.jpg[/url]

My family has a long-lasting connection with Hard Rock restaurants and hotels and because of that we connect the guitar-shaped magnets. We were going to head over there but after a day of packing, driving, flying and just plain old traveling, we were exhausted. We decided to go to the bar within the hotel, and were surprised at how good the food and the beer was. We were able to log some FL beers into our Untappd and passed out around 10 (which is early for us) and the next day began!

25848606554_a3503dcdfa_b.jpg

Edited by livinginyellow

Pre-Departure - Day 1

I forgot to mention the room. For a hotel that was really "motel" style - it was pretty good. So comfortable, BF was insistent about how comfortable it was (and was only second to how comfortable Independence's beds were)

25849073404_8227ab8233.jpg

I woke about around 7am, when we really didn't need to go anywhere until 9am, which just shows excited I was. Little did I know....

We went to breakfast at the Rodeway, which was, honestly, not all that great. We had a voucher, and the voucher got into breakfast. I will be MORE than honest here, and I will say that because we were young, I think we had a different experience. A "captain" walked around the breakfast and interacted. We thought it was cheesy. You could only eat the belgian-waffle that the attendant made (which was what was expected) and some yogurt, milk and hard-boiled eggs. Not expected, and kind of lame. No photos, the captain was good for "older people" (sorry if you're an older person - you would probably truly enjoy him - we just didn't have a wedding anniversary to celebrate (little did I know) and/or have kids to show to him) but, honestly, I kept saying it was a good snack before getting on the ship. I kept saying that it mattered more about getting on the ship, less than breakfast, because I understood how much we would be eating.

Edited by livinginyellow

En-route

After crappy breakfast, we finishing packing and showering, and headed down to the bus. HUGE note if you go on the Rodeway Inn and Suites bus:

ARRIVE WHATEVER THE PAPER SAYS.

Our paper says arrive at 10am. BF did not like to adhere to that. I did not care, and we were in the lobby at 10am. (Seen below: view from the TV screens in the lobby - our first view of INDY!!!). Because of this, we were almost LAST on the bus to the dock, and, after the manager told a lot of RCI-based jokes, we were on the road at 10:20. We saw someone running up to the manager (begging to be let on, we assume) and was not let on. We left right around 10:20, even though it was a 10:30 bus (and all busses after that cost around $5-$10/person - so I can see why they were strict with it)

26428145816_8a84b4e57e.jpg[/url]

**Please read the NOTE two sections above if you don't get this note!**

NOTE: I kept saying to BF at this time "are you excited??? are you FINALLY excited??" and, to my chagrin HE WAS NOT EXCITED. I wasn't really mad, just really ready to get on a ship. As I said, this will come into play in less than an hour :)

Less than ten minutes later, we had pulled through the front gate, and were on our way to gate 25, Independence of the Sea's gate for Feb. 22.

26428019316_a887f7ee4a.jpg

Again - excited, BF was not. I will note that the Rodeway porter pulled all of our suitcase handles out before we got off. We had already been told to tip, so were ready, but I was a bit surprised at how BLATANT they made it that we kind of *had* to tip.

Unlike the shuttle to the airport to hotel, this was effective. However, I will note, that many have said on Yelp that it is hard to catch this shuttle. I can see why. A 10:30am shuttle boarded promptly at 10am and left around 10:20. No worries if you're on time, but BE ON TIME otherwise, it won't be worth the money (you have to pay at least $5-$10 for each shuttle after the 10am one)

Edited by livinginyellow

After getting off Independence of the Seas, we started boarding! It was a bit of a mess with previous passengers getting off, and us getting on, but it was fun!

25849072744_8e02c50183.jpg

This was our first time sailing Platinum and the boarding process was EASY because of it! Around 10:45 am, We walked RIGHT through the C&A security line.

Walked immediately up to our security agent, confirmed our details and we walked past the C&A photographers and were sitting in our C&A waiting area about 10:50. BF has a joke with his Dad (who kind of bought us our Platinum-status, but is sailing with us at Gold) and was calling him to brag when we boarded around 11:10. He was bragging because, behind us, a Platinum couple tried to bring a Gold couple in with us. They not only denied the Gold couple, but barred the Platinum to go through becasue of the busy-ness. It was crazy, and I saw the Platinum go through a bit later, but definitely un-organized and not a fun experience (especially once you got through the "boarding ship photos" experience)

26361936942_2c3dd0ca78.jpg

I don't even think he had finished talking to his Dad before they started "processing" us through the terminal. It was easy, fast, and by the time I was on the gangway I WAS READY. We heard the familiar beep (the best way to know you are on RCI) and we were on! WE WERE ON!

We started walking down the side of the ship, and walked on the back. We were some of the first people on the ship. I took some photos, but the photos I took later on in the review were better.

We began exploring the promenade (neither of us had a promenade before). With that, we knew we wanted to buy our drink packages. We wanted to buy ours because we were *supposed* to have a credit towards our account. As we walked on board (and one of the reasons BF described he was anxious) was because we had to add a Visa credit card (really gift card) to our account. They swiped it, we added our beverage package, and our Christmas gift was supposed to cover the whole thing. It didn't end up doing that, and we ended up keeping the balance for later, which was frustrating, but I guess worked out?

With that Select package, we went to Dog & Badger for our first beer, less than an hour after we got on the hotel bus. *Note this - it is important to our story - remember how I asked BF if he was excited? When we got our beer at the bar, he was claiming he was "still not excited - as we had a lot to do (our "a lot to do was to make sure the RCI bedding, including the mattress toper, was in our inside room)

Edited by livinginyellow

A few photos I forgot:

25856209754_9e92c2ed31_c.jpg

The view of the luggage drop-off right next to the ship. It was a bit disorganized, but I guess all that mattered was you handed your luggage to a porter and moved on. So in the end it didn't really matter that it was disorganized :)

26188256580_4840242273_c.jpg

Walking up the gangway - is there a better feeling!? I was squealing with delight at this point.

26394920521_547e2eac5d_c.jpg

Our first view of the promenade/inside of the ship. I actually think I cried here I was so excited. It was SO beautiful!

25856231434_a10876fc90_c.jpg

First bite of Sorrento's pizza! I didn't find it bad at all (yes, there is better pizza out there, the crust is awful, but this did for a quick snack, especially with a good beer) and ate it probably twice a day. I enjoyed that there were different flavors every day. BF can't eat cheese, so we often found ourselves at snacktime splitting up while I grabbed a slice, he grabbed a cheese-less sandwich from Cafe Promenade and we met at either the wine bar or D&B to eat and grab a beer!

26368823572_9f49381c87_c.jpg

That first beer I mentioned. Note the time. We had left our hotel at 10:30, and were on the ship, purchased the drink package, had a slice of pizza, and already drinking a beer by 11:30. Now that's what I call efficient.

Quick story: When we sailed out of Bmore, my Mom had dropped us off at the port. She had to work that day, so we waited outside in the November cold until the port even OPENED at 9am. We were then the first people in line, the first people sitting in the chairs and we waited for 2.5 hours until we were able to get on (and were the first non-Diamond/Suite people on)

Because of this, we were surprised at how quick the process was at FLL (not that Baltimore wasn't quick, we just had a long experience). We kept talking about how easy it was to get on! Definitely would sail out of this port again because of this.

After we had beers in hand, we noticed that others were starting to get on, so we decided to look around before it got too crowded, as staterooms weren't open until 1. That led us up to the pool deck....

Edited by livinginyellow

We started heading up to the pool deck to look around with beers in hand. I had my camera out and was taking as many photos as I could.

26369278722_cda3fb53c7_c.jpg

We started walking around, when we noticed the St. Tropez deck, deck 13, right at the front of the ship. BF climbed up while I was taking a photo and waved me over. I climbed up and started taking some photos off the front of the deck.

26369278732_fa85322b1b_c.jpg

It was just the two of us up there and was really quiet. He sat down, so I followed suit, taking a second to drink my beer and relax. While I was enjoying the view of the front of the ship, he reached down and pulled the box with his class ring out of his bag.

I do remember thinking, "Why didn't he just put this in our bag?" (we had carried a few extra things in our carry ons to help with the Spirit weight issue, but had moved all of that back into our bags after the hotel, because obviously no weight issue with RCI, so that we didn't have to carry anything extra while walking around the ship) but we had had an issue on our last cruise where all three of the bags (told you we were overpackers) had ended up in security and we didn't get them until late, so I chalked it up to him not wanting it to get stuck in security (it is really important to him, and he likes to wear it when we dress up, like at weddings or on formal night)

He then handed me the box. In retrospect, it made no sense that he handed me the box, but for some reason I went with it and kept drinking me beer. I remember making an offhanded comment about the fact that he still had the sticker marking it his from when he picked it up in college and handed it back. He then opened the box, and started fiddling with his ring. He pulled it out of the box and underneath of it was the most beautiful ring I had ever seen!

26461577705_9a4b7224e2_c.jpg

A recreation of what I saw :)

I remember going "Um, what are you doing right now?!" and my heart started hammering in my chest. Later, I remember telling him that I had every emotion just running through me. It was like you got hit with adrenaline, happiness and nervousness all at the same time. A once in a lifetime feeling.

Now, my fiance is not a shy guy. During the Quest, he was the one that took off his shirt and pants for the whole game. He's known for his crazy antics, and it's one of the things that I love about him. He's always down for something crazy.

However, when he started proposing, he got more nervous, more shy than I had ever seen him. He quietly goes, "Well, what do you think I am doing" and I could see his hands shaking. It was both cute and endearing, all at the same time.

I think I started crying. I think I put my hands to my face. I don't really remember. What I do remember is him getting on one knee in front of me and going, "Sarah - will you go on more cruises with me?" (See, I told you he was nervous...couldn't even ask the right question!) and me being just SO happy (not only was I on a ship, but the love of my life was asking me to marry him) that I just kissed him and forgot to say yes!

I laughed through our kiss that I think I forgot to say yes and we broke apart and he put the ring on my hand. We were engaged! We hugged and kissed and spend a few minutes just us. And then I put two and two together - he was never as visibly excited for the cruise because he was nervous about proposing!

He told me that he was going to wait until later in the week to propose on the beach in Labadee (when on CocoCay, we had gone all the way down Barefoot Beach and spent the whole day just us on the back of the beach. We had been hoping to find a spot like that on Labadee, but never did, so I'm glad he didn't do that. And he said he was nervous about having to carry it around in his bathing suit pocket and losing it). He had decided in the moment to propose there because it was just the two of us, right at the front of the ship. And we could celebrate all cruise. We decided then not to "announce" it on Facebook or tell any of our friends so that it could be our secret all week - which, in retrospect, I am so glad we did. It was so fun having a secret that only we knew about all week, and surprising our friends when we got home.

We wanted to share the news with SOMEONE and decided to call just our parents. They were so excited, but helped us keep our secret and didn't tell anyone else in our families including our siblings - which they told us later was a huge feat.

26435670536_e64510af16_c.jpg

As we were calling our parents, one other person did decide to join us - this sunbather! He cracked me up as he had headphones in and didn't even realize what we were celebrating on the other side the deck. I guess that's what happens when you get engaged in a public place!

I LOVE your story!!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us in such depth- I have real tears of happiness for you!!! You & your fiancé sound like you will have a great life together- I wish you many more fabulous cruises!!!

Congratulations [emoji183]

Sally [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Trip: Feb. 22 - 27, 2016

Ship: Independence of the Seas

Length: 5 days

Embarkation and Debarkation port: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Ports: Fort Lauderdale --> Day at Sea --> Falmouth, Jamaica --> Labadee, Jamaica --> Day at Sea --> Fort Lauderdale

About us: 25 and 29 year old couple who got engaged on this cruise!

Drink package: Yes - Premium - all five days - both of us (bought on debarkation day 1)

Dining: My Time Dining

Crown and Anchor: Platinum

--

Hello! My name is Sarah and me and my (now fiance) travelled on the Independence of the Seas (details above) in Feb. 2016. I took a large amount of photos in the hope to post on this forum, as I want to help it as much as it helped me.

Some background on us: My BF at the time cruised twice before me: once in Europe on Voyager, and once in FL in college on Majesty. We met after we both graduated college and, about a year into our relationship, he suggested us going on a cruise. I was skeptical at first, but I did some research (OK a lot of research) and we did an 8-day on the Grandeur out of Baltimore (my home state; my mother was able to drive us and pick us up from the port). BF's parents did a lot of cruising when he was younger, so we auto hit 22 points on that cruise (and made Platinum once we were over!) I loved it so much (seriously, I was talking about our next one, which ended up not being for 1+ year afterwards, as soon as we were walking down the gangway) that I was hooked. After a dry spell of 1+ years, I eventually convinced BF to do another cruise (even though we had already booked Harmony this September 2016 with his family). In November 2015, we booked this cruise based on price, location and length.

Also, about us, because I guess that's what's important: BF and I have been together since early 2013, living together since 2014, and we got engaged on this cruise! He's in his late 20's and I am in my mid-20's, both of us hoping to work our way up the chain to take more vacation in the future :)

We picked this cruise because we enjoyed CocoCay on our last cruise (esp. drink package on the island) and wanted another private island. The length worked for us because it left a lot of PTO for our 2-week Europe trip this September. The biggest stretch for us was flying. We eventually used our credit card points to fly Spirit (more on that later) direct from Baltimore, MD to Fort Lauderdale, FL. as well as to book our pre-cruise hotel.

Pre Cruise

As I said, we were able to book our direct flight from Baltimore, MD to Fort Lauderdale, FL the day before our cruise (2/21/16) with our credit card points. Spirit is a "low cost" airline and I was OK with this, because it cost less of our points. WRONG (at least in BF's mind)

Spirit, unlike typical airlines, does not allow for checked baggage. Being chronic over packers, BF and I decided to pay the extra $25/each way for the bags, which meant that we were not only able to take on a carry on each, but check our bags. This turned into quite a debacle, meaning that we tried to pack 40 pounds into our one bag, realized we had packed 52, unpacked to 43, realized we needed to pay for the extra 10 pounds, and repacking to maximize that ten pounds. This was all the morning we were due to drive up to MD and was quite the debacle - and the main reason why BF won't fly Spirit again (I'm not really sure I agree...more on this later).

After spending the rest of the day with my parents, before embarking on a pretty quick (though not pain-free) journey through BWI security, we were on our way to vacation!

NOTE: BF and I had got into a small "fight" (a tiff, if you will) the night before. He had been very anxious the past few days and, finally, somewhat admitted that he was nervous because he didn't think we would be able to fly on our credit card points (a flimsy excuse, looking back now) and would relax once we got into FL. /end note (though please note this note, as it is important later)

25848501084_c8147f69c3_z.jpg

After having two beers in the airport bar (and me declaring it was finally vacation - BF still being "nervous"), we had boarded Spirit and were on our way to Fort Lauderdale. BF's complaints with Spirit both lodged with the extra for the baggage, but also with the inability to order peanuts/drinks without paying which I learned was one of his fave things on a flight (this was our first time flying together after almost three years of dating...we had both flown separately through this time, but never together! Funny). I convinced him to order some dumb Margarita bombs that Spirit sells (too sweet, but in retrospect, was a good way to celebrate finally being on vacation) and off we went.

Ft. Lauderdale airport itself was quick and efficient, with us getting off the plane, going through baggage and waiting in the taxi line, we were on our way to the hotel in less than 45 minutes (which is pretty great!)

We were staying at Rodeway Inn and Suites, which is a wonderful hotel, but we had read a lot of Yelp reviews before leaving. We decided to trust the morning-of shuttle, but not the airport-to-hotel shuttle as that is supposedly very late. We decided that the $20 for a taxi was worth not waiting.

I wish I had taken a picture of the lobby of the hotel - it wasn't *bad* but it was definitely tacky. Did that change my opinion of the place? Not at all. It was worth spending the night, and definitely served its purpose.

25848518644_fac79fe526_z.jpg[/url]

My family has a long-lasting connection with Hard Rock restaurants and hotels and because of that we connect the guitar-shaped magnets. We were going to head over there but after a day of packing, driving, flying and just plain old traveling, we were exhausted. We decided to go to the bar within the hotel, and were surprised at how good the food and the beer was. We were able to log some FL beers into our Untappd and passed out around 10 (which is early for us) and the next day began!

25848606554_a3503dcdfa_b.jpg

I am looking forward to your review we have sailed IOS 3 times before and again this May on the TA

I am LOVING your TR! Congratulations!!! How exciting to be able to celebrate all week. I love reading about "Indy" as you call her, since we just booked our first RCCL cruise on her for next summer...14 Night Med! I hope it's great!

Can't wait to hear more of your story. :)

Enjoying your review Sarah. Hoping to read that your fiancé finally got excited and enjoyed the cruise.

Congratulations on your engagement! Details please. ;):)

~ Judy

26461577705_9a4b7224e2_c.jpg

What I do remember is him getting on one knee in front of me and going, "Sarah - will you go on more cruises with me?" (See, I told you he was nervous...couldn't even ask the right question!) and me being just SO happy (not only was I on a ship, but the love of my life was asking me to marry him) that I just kissed him and forgot to say yes!

I laughed through our kiss that I think I forgot to say yes and we broke apart and he put the ring on my hand. We were engaged! We hugged and kissed and spend a few minutes just us. And then I put two and two together - he was never as visibly excited for the cruise because he was nervous about proposing!

Beautiful and Priceless! :D Thank you so much for sharing. I wish you both a wonderful life together, filled with lots of great cruises and happy times.

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

Congratulations! What a journey you had! I have a simple question - are the hairdryers on IOS fairly decent or should you take your own? Also, is there an alarm clock? One of our cruises actually had one. Thank you!

No alarm clocks, but the ship does provide an automated wake-up call service.

Congratulations! What a journey you had! I have a simple question - are the hairdryers on IOS fairly decent or should you take your own? Also, is there an alarm clock? One of our cruises actually had one. Thank you!

If you have thick hair or lots of it I would suggest bringing your own.