Packing help needed!

I think my biggest question is not what I can do without as much as how do I cram what I need in a suitcase without everything looking awful when we get there.

They have a salon on board ship, bet your husband would mind you khabing salon care for your hair if it meant one less bag

I think my biggest question is not what I can do without as much as how do I cram what I need in a suitcase without everything looking awful when we get there.

They have a salon on board ship, bet your husband wouldnt mind you having salon care for your hair if it meant one less bag

You can't take everything you took before and reduce the amount of space used. Even with compression bags basic physics tells us there's only so much room in there. Bundle wrapping is a good way to reduce wrinkles.

NCteacherlovescruising sounds like you need an intervention. Lol. We need to change your mindset :D

Need to decide what's more important--- having no repeats, no laundry and multiple changes a day with multiple bags or packing a bit lighter.

For different looks with a limited number of items, look on The Vivienne Files. Lots of inspiration there. Neutral bottoms and different tops.

Decide what suitcase and tote you're bringing and pack no more than'll fit into it.

Our family has a rule---- you pack it, you schlep it. Even when the kids were puny, 2 & 3, they could carry their toys in a backpack.

Condense your beauty routine. Rethink your hairstyle. Don't take full size when an ounce will do. Share some things.

Do laundry. Send out sturdy clothes to the wash. Hand wash other things.

Edited by SadieN

the cosmetic/toiletry bag. It contains a lot more than make-up. It has my hairdryer, flat iron, curling iron, hair spray, styling spray (to hold my curl), thermal protectant (for flat iron), round brush, paddle brush for me, my husband's brush, son's brush, toothbrushes/paste, shampoo, conditioner, deep treatment, hair oil, shine spray, body lotion, face lotion, shaving cream, razors, meds, contacts, saline, glasses.

That's an awful lot of stuff to lug on vacation. It's your hair, but do you really need to bring 8 different lotions and potions for your hair for a 1 week cruise? Can you live without hair oil and shine spray for instance? I use a lot of cosmetics at home that I manage just fine without during vacation.

If you still want to take absolutely everything, use travel size bottles. If you put them in a larger ziploc bag there shouldn't be a problem putting them in the same suitcase as your clothes. You can also eliminate a lot of the "just in case" toiletries and meds. Anything you happen to find yourself needing can be easily found at a drugstore in any port. I've purchased cold meds in airport in Mexico, allergy meds in Florence, Italy, blister tape in the Caribbean (forget which island) and so forth.

One pair of sanders couldn't possibly match everything I wear. I can't imagine on taking two swimsuits. [emoji16] I never see women wearing the same ones over and over. I notice what others wear so I assume they would notice the if I keep wearing the same thing, although this cruise is port intensive so I probably won't see the same people very often. 3 of our 4 port days are beach excursions, but I like to wear different shorts/t's at each port over them because we always buy those pics they take as you leave the ship.

1. If you color coordinate your outfits you probably CAN limit yourself to one pair of sandals. But it's a matter of whether or not you want to and only you can decide that.

2. As for the bathing suits, ok... you notice what others wear, and thus believe that maybe someone will see that you are wearing the same 2 bathing suits all week, but does that really matter? Are you afraid someone (a perfect stranger, no less) will actually think less of you somehow because they mentally keep track of what you're wearing and note that you ONLY wore 2 bathing suits all week? :confused: I'm trying to be polite, but if you are packing and dressing because of what you want people to think, then I'd just stick with your 7 bags and forget about packing more lightly. ;)

I could easily follow your advice for dinners, I'm just worried about everything wrinkling without a garment bag.

Maybe I'll never be able to pull this off. [emoji15]

As someone else said, you can't pack the same amount of stuff but magically use 1/2 the number of bags. If you want to use 1/2 the number of bags, then pack half the amount of stuff. When you arrive and unpack, immediately send out anything that wrinkled during travel to be pressed. Problem solved. I'm sure your husband won't mind the pressing bill if it means the luggage count is cut in half. :)

They have a salon on board ship, bet your husband would mind you khabing salon care for your hair if it meant one less bag

Don't I wish! lol I have asked before if I could go to the salon for formal nights to get it styled and he said no way, that's a waste of money! :( He blows me crap about the pre-cruise mani/pedi, new clothes or swimsuits/shoes expenses too. (Not that I always have to buy new clothes, shoes or swimsuits, but I always need some stuff) Of course, he barely blinks an eye at buying expensive bottle(s) of wine. Priorities. lol In his defense, we both enjoy the wine.

You can't take everything you took before and reduce the amount of space used. Even with compression bags basic physics tells us there's only so much room in there. Bundle wrapping is a good way to reduce wrinkles.

NCteacherlovescruising sounds like you need an intervention. Lol. We need to change your mindset :D

Need to decide what's more important--- having no repeats, no laundry and multiple changes a day with multiple bags or packing a bit lighter.

For different looks with a limited number of items, look on The Vivienne Files. Lots of inspiration there. Neutral bottoms and different tops.

Decide what suitcase and tote you're bringing and pack no more than'll fit into it.

Our family has a rule---- you pack it, you schlep it. Even when the kids were puny, 2 & 3, they could carry their toys in a backpack.

Condense your beauty routine. Rethink your hairstyle. Don't take full size when an ounce will do. Share some things.

Do laundry. Send out sturdy clothes to the wash. Hand wash other things.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be difficult and possibly do need an intervention! :o And I'm not trying to bring everything we took on our last trip. If I recall correctly, I believe I took something like 6 different pairs of shorts for 8 nights and two of them were black and white. (I need bigger sizes by the second half of the cruise because I eat a lot of carbs I'm not use to and I bloat something awful. I seriously grow a pant size!) I also took 2 formal dresses and different shoes and jewelry for each. We aren't taking any formal clothing this trip. I took two other dresses. I also took a pair of black slacks, black capri's, black and white flower print pants and jeans, which I never wore once we got on the ship until the day we left. I took workout clothes (I am going to try to do double duty here. If I wear it to a port one day over my suit, I can workout in it another) I took way too many panties. I took comfortable panties and pretty panties so I could wear whatever I was in the mood for. I also took matching bras. I can live with a couple for a week, so I won't do that this time either. Oh and spanx. I needed that under my formal dresses, again something I won't take this time. I took more swimsuits than I wore. I don't know how many tops I took but I believe I wore all but one and that was because by the time I was ready to wear it I was bloated and it made me look fat. I took two cover-ups (I ended up using one of them as a robe because the robes in our room looked dirty) and three pairs of flip flops for the pool. I can live with one (i suppose) and 1 pair of pool/beach flip flops, but that means all my suits have to match black. That will drive me crazy. I know I took too many shoes last time, and I didn't wear them all. I took 3 flip flops (matching my swimsuits, I did wear them all), black sandals, blue sandals, black wedges, neutral wedges, and the two dress shoes. Oh yeah, and my running shoes. I took two sweaters (again to match different things in case I got cold, which I do easily) and a zip-up hoodie. No, I don't plan on taking that much this time. I do have to be realistic and take some bigger pants for the later part of the cruise though, because I really do bloat something awful.

I always carry all my own stuff, I don't mind. Besides, all our luggage is on wheels.

I know it sounds like a lot of hair products, but I need them. I have blonde hair and without them it would look dry and icky. I could wear it straight everyday, but it looks much better curled. I won't curl it everyday because it takes too long. If I practice, I might be able to learn how to curl it with the flat iron. On the other hand, perhaps I don't have to curl it since there aren't any formal nights...although, I don't know what that's going to accomplish because we have to have that bag for all the other stuff.

I don't want to waste precious cruise time washing clothes, although I don't mind sending things out to be pressed. We had to send out my husband's two dress shirts last time. Speaking of that, another bulky item in that bag is Downy Wrinkle Release.

Oh and we are going to Savannah for the night/next day on our way home, so I will need some clothes for that as well.

I did want to add that my husband is the one that packs most of our medicine cabinet in that bag. Him and my son tend to rely on drugs for everything...headaches, allergies, sea sickness. I rarely ever take any medicine except lactaid. A lot of you have focused on that "make-up bag", which is a bag for all kinds of items, for all 3 of us. My husband doesn't want to eliminate it anymore than I do. We carry it on (okay wheel it on) the ship with us and even put our wine in it last time instead of carrying it. Our goal is to have that bag and 3 large suitcases. That would still be eliminating 3 bags. We will also still have that small little shoulder bag too, which has our passports and electronics.

I don't think I mentioned that my husband and I managed all of those bags on our last cruise without the aid of a porter. Trust me, I'm not a fail little lady. I workout, lift weights and carry my luggage without any problem. We just don't want anymore than we could easily manage to get down the stairs on our own.

Do you have African American hair?

Here's a thread for hair ideas

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=983716

No, I am a blonde. (I know the pictures are small on here, but can't you see it?) It just tends to get really dry when we cruise. I don't know if it's the ships water or the salt in the air. If I don't put products on it and at least flat iron it, it looks awful

No, I am a blonde. (I know the pictures are small on here, but can't you see it?) It just tends to get really dry when we cruise. I don't know if it's the ships water or the salt in the air. If I don't put products on it and at least flat iron it, it looks awful

Ah.... Pix is way too small on my phone.

Can you reduce your lotions and potions? Either buy small or decant into something smaller? I use Argan Oil. Transferred it into a 10ml eye drop bottle. I'll get 42 uses out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you cruise to showcase your extensive wardrobe, then, in my opinion none of the very good advice you are receiving will be of help.

I don't cruise to showcase anything, nor do I have an extensive wardrobe. Lol I'm a teacher and have strict rules about what I'm allowed to wear at work so most of my wardrobe is pretty boring. As soon as I get home from work I put on sweats/workout clothes. After dinner I workout, shower and put on my pj's. So when we get away, whether it be a trip to the mountains or a cruise, I enjoy wearing things I like and looking nice for my husband. I also enjoy doing my hair because at work and home it's usually pulled back in a ponytail.

Ah.... Pix is way too small on my phone.

Can you reduce your lotions and potions? Either buy small or decant into something smaller? I use Argan Oil. Transferred it into a 10ml eye drop bottle. I'll get 42 uses out of it.

I understand. [emoji4]

I don't take big bottles. I really don't think the things in that bag are an issue. We take it even if we go away for a night and all 3 of us use it. It has more than enough room for what we put in it. I would never check in my hair and make-up products, contacts, glasses, etc. I would be miserable without them.

I use Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum. It's in a small bottle. Where I need to cut back is clothes and shoes. I keep reading NCL is very casual, so I shouldn't need as many nice clothes. I think I will miss dressing up though, as I don't get many opportunities to do so at home.

If NCL in the Caribbean is like our POA Hawaiian cruise was you will be among the best dressed on the ship. Things have changed a lot since our firrst cruise and their new, then, as you like it theme. I think the idea of doubling your work out wear as a beach cover up for a water excursion is a great idea. So is skipping the wedges and at least one pair of sandals. We don't bring wine aboard but my make up bag also holds all our medications. We actually do well with a large duffel bag we got at either Lands End or LL Bean. Almost everything folded and vaguely casual goes in it and it has a separate base that zips open for shoes or other heavy or flatter items. Then we use a matching garment bag that really can hold a lot of things as it also has inside webbed pockets and outside zip pockets.

And I think we all know the first rule of cruising. Wear your skinny clothes first! :) LOL. This was probably a few years back but there was a thread about the most versatile dress shoe. Turns out we have several former beauty queens on CC and taupe or a fleshy cream is what most wore with their evening gowns. Basically they became invisible to most onlookers. You can also mix and match tops and bottoms of two piece swimsuits from bikinis to tankinis so 2 tops and two bottoms make about 4 or 5 combos. And hair products may be necessary but shampoo and conditioner? And much as I prefer my own there is no way I would pack my blow dryer if one is provided. Oh, if you find a dirty robe or anything else in your cabin let the room steward know immediately and you will get a clean replacement very quickly. You might also talk to your home hair stylist for an effective but less product heavy regime for vacations. Mine has me down to taking my travel size version of a leave in conditioner instead of using the ship's that makes my hair go limp and small can of a style spray to add a touch of lift.

three pairs of flip flops for the pool. I can live with one (i suppose) and 1 pair of pool/beach flip flops, but that means all my suits have to match black.

I know it sounds like a lot of hair products, but I need them. I have blonde hair and without them it would look dry and icky. I could wear it straight everyday, but it looks much better curled. I won't curl it everyday because it takes too long.

I don't want to waste precious cruise time washing clothes,

Oh and we are going to Savannah for the night/next day on our way home, so I will need some clothes for that as well.

Once again, it is not a fashion show. Who cares if your pool flip flops don't match your bathing suit? You're just wearing them to get from A to B. Believe it or not, most people don't give a hoot what you wear, they aren't impressed with the fact that your flip flops match your bathing suit, and they aren't keeping a mental inventory of your outfits. Take a pair of flip flops, thrown them on to walk to the pool, and then take them off. Nobody cares what color they are. If you insist that they always match your bathing suit, then it's all the more reason to limit the number of suits you bring! And honestly, if you own that many suits, surely you have 2 or 3 that WOULD match (or coordinate with) black so the matching really shouldn't be an issue.

The hair products? Again, it sounds an awful lot like you are way too worried about impressing other people. I understand needing basic items like conditioner and hairspray, but can't fathom why one would need so many miscellaneous products for a 1 week cruise. But if you're taking the "cosmetics" bag anyway as you said, no point trying to further show you how you could cut down on these items.

YOU don't have to wash clothes. You can send them out to be done. Easy peasy, if you truly want to pack lighter.

You don't need extra clothes for Savannah. Surely there will be something in your bags that you wore on the cruise that you can wear again in Savannah. No one there will have seen you in the outfit before. ;)

My general rule whether I am traveling for 1 week or 1 month.

It's one large suitcase each in my family and we can easily travel for 4-6 weeks over different seasons.

Tip 1

EVERY top must go with EVERY bottom. Eg. Pants: white, black, navy, beige. Tops: any colour or pattern!

You'd be surprised how mixing and matching the same things can create different looks. I never take ANY item that only goes with one outfit.

Tip 2.

Plan to wear everything twice. You may need to have some items laundered - maybe not.

I am a girly girl and I love dresses, shoes, make-up and accessories. If I can't fit in everything I want I then decide what to sacrifice.

My general rule whether I am traveling for 1 week or 1 month.

It's one large suitcase each in my family and we can easily travel for 4-6 weeks over different seasons.

Tip 1

EVERY top must go with EVERY bottom. Eg. Pants: white, black, navy, beige. Tops: any colour or pattern!

You'd be surprised how mixing and matching the same things can create different looks. I never take ANY item that only goes with one outfit.

Tip 2.

Plan to wear everything twice. You may need to have some items laundered - maybe not.

I am a girly girl and I love dresses, shoes, make-up and accessories. If I can't fit in everything I want I then decide what to sacrifice.

Excellent info here. Lots of posters have given the OP hints as to reducing bags and clothes. It can be a mindset that needs adjusting if she wants to really adapt. My husband and I did a 30 day cruise plus 2 weeks in OZ with one 28 inch suitcase, carry on each, personal item each. Yes, we sent laundry out but we color coordinated our clothes too. It can be done. Being on the ships now is much more casual. Casual of course does not mean sloppy.

I pack each day's clothes in a zippered gallon storage bag. Squeezing the air out does two thing, reduced volume and reduced wrinkles. The volume reduction, I understand, the wrinkle reduction, well, maybe it has something to do with quantum mechanics.

Once again, it is not a fashion show. Who cares if your pool flip flops don't match your bathing suit? You're just wearing them to get from A to B. Believe it or not, most people don't give a hoot what you wear, they aren't impressed with the fact that your flip flops match your bathing suit, and they aren't keeping a mental inventory of your outfits. Take a pair of flip flops, thrown them on to walk to the pool, and then take them off. Nobody cares what color they are. If you insist that they always match your bathing suit, then it's all the more reason to limit the number of suits you bring! And honestly, if you own that many suits, surely you have 2 or 3 that WOULD match (or coordinate with) black so the matching really shouldn't be an issue.

The hair products? Again, it sounds an awful lot like you are way too worried about impressing other people. I understand needing basic items like conditioner and hairspray, but can't fathom why one would need so many miscellaneous products for a 1 week cruise. But if you're taking the "cosmetics" bag anyway as you said, no point trying to further show you how you could cut down on these items.

YOU don't have to wash clothes. You can send them out to be done. Easy peasy, if you truly want to pack lighter.

You don't need extra clothes for Savannah. Surely there will be something in your bags that you wore on the cruise that you can wear again in Savannah. No one there will have seen you in the outfit before. ;)

I care if my shoes match my clothes. That would drive me crazy! I wouldn't wear clothes that don't match anywhere. You seem to think I'm all about impressing people. That's not the case at all. As be said before, I want to look nice for my husband.

You will never be a light packer . You have been given lots of suggestions and you just knock them down . You are doomed to forever be dragging multiple bags .

If you read my original post, I wasn't really asking how I could eliminate items to bring. I was asking for tips on what types of materials pack well and how to most efficiently pack, such as rolling or folding. For some reason many posters decided to attack my "beauty routine", although we have no intention or need to eliminate that bag. I think some wrongly assume I plan to bring everything we normally do, which isn't the case at all. We normally have 2 formal nights, so there's a bag eliminated in itself. I also plan to bring fewer shoes, which I believe I've mentioned. I have no intention to bring as many clothes either.

However, I just wanted to know how to pack dresses, blouses, etc without them getting all wrinkled. [emoji849] Sorry if I don't like wearing dirty clothes, or wasting time doing laundry or money paying someone else to wash it for me.

How old is your son? I've often been able to 'steal' a bit of suitcase space from my kids when they were younger. May you could put your shoes in his suitcase.

Do you really want advice? You are finding a reason why none of these suggestions can work for you.

Otherwise, take that 5th bag for your shoes and learn how to manage 2 bags to do self assist.

Edited by redrob1234

I pack each day's clothes in a zippered gallon storage bag. Squeezing the air out does two thing, reduced volume and reduced wrinkles. The volume reduction, I understand, the wrinkle reduction, well, maybe it has something to do with quantum mechanics.

Interesting. I've never heard this before.