Packing help needed!

Sorry, I know this isn't the place for this discussion, but I won't shop in gun free zones. Yes, I'm well aware we can't carry on a ship, but I'm not concerned with all the security in the terminal.

Uh. Yeah, I'm out. I've been in the Charlotte IKEA many times and have never felt in fear of my life, much less a need to go there armed. Have fun with the zombie apocalypse or whatever it is you're worried about.

I'm not familiar with REI, but I checked online and we do have one in Charlotte.

Check out the backpacking area. Lots of bottles, tubes and containers for various lotions and potions.

REI is a co-op but you do not need to be a member to shop there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went to REI today. Thank you SadieN, we loved it! :D I bought an Eagle Creek EC Lync System Collapsible Wheeled Luggage 26". It can be carried as a back pack or wheeled. My husband would have bought one too, but they only had one in stock so we ordered him one once we got home. We also each got a pair of Chaco sandels there. I have bad feet (I had plantar fasciitis for 3 years) and they seem like they will be extremely comfortable. I plan to wear them on our excursions instead of my flip flops. I also ordered two of the the Eagle Creek Pack-It starter sets. Each set has one medium folder, 1 Lg cube and 1 Med cute. My husband wants to try my mediums first and decide then if he wants the medium or a large. We also ordered 2 ebags pack it flat toiletry kits, one for me and one for him and our son. Once I get everything, I am going to see if I can fit everything in that bag or if I will need a small suitcase too. (Eliminating the wheeled toiletry bag we have always used) Even if I need both, this can be carried as a backpack.

That's great! Did you join? Members get a discount and then money back at the end of the year based on their purchases. Your money back would have covered the cost of your membership.

Yes, we joined once he told us our purchase today would more than cover the cost. I can't believe we had never heard of this before. It's kind of tucked away in a parking lot across the street from the mall. We had never noticed it before. Love their return policy!!

L.L. Bean, REI, Eddie Bauer, and Lands End were all addictions for me in the past.....

It sounds as though you're making real progress in your quest to travel lighter, but still look lovely!

Wheeled Luggage 26". It can be carried as a back pack

26" wheeled luggage? That sounds like a BIG backpack, and likely heavy once crammed full. I wouldn't try using it as a backpack for the first time while traveling. Pack it full, then try walking down the street and back with it as a backpack, just to make sure it's comfortable to use that way.

26" wheeled luggage? That sounds like a BIG backpack, and likely heavy once crammed full. I wouldn't try using it as a backpack for the first time while traveling. Pack it full, then try walking down the street and back with it as a backpack, just to make sure it's comfortable to use that way.

We would probably roll them except when dealing with stairs. I squat much more than what my full suitcase weighs so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not a small woman, 5' 9" and wear a 12 (but hoping to get back into my 10's before this cruise). Besides, I will have two big and strong men with me. Also, we can remove the wheels if we need to lighten the load. [emoji4]

The luggage, with the wheels, weighs under 5lbs. The whole framework can be removed.

Edited by SadieN

Looked it up as I was curious as to what you ultimately purchased. Too big for me but I think its a very good way for you to pack lighter. Going from 7 cases for two to 6 cases for three is a huge accomplishment.

Next project for you is to think about reducing your lotions, potions and options. If not the amount then the size.

The Vivienne Files has a good post today. about figuring out how much you'd need for a trip. The comments are also very informative.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2016/04/how-i-pack-light-part-2000000-or-so-and.html?m=1

Edited by SadieN

We would probably roll them except when dealing with stairs. I squat much more than what my full suitcase weighs [emoji4]

The luggage, with the wheels, weighs under 5lbs. The whole framework can be removed.

I was thinking more of the fact that once you put it on your back, your whole center of gravity changes, i.e. it's a lot different walking with 50 lbs. on your back than doing squats with heavy weights in each hand. But if you're comfortable with it go for it. Just suggesting a trial run at home.

And it doesn't matter what the bag weighs empty; if the OP takes everyone she appears to want to take, the bag will likely be close to the airline weight limit when it's all packed and ready to go. ;)

Rick Steves, well known travel expert who appears on TV and has books, podcasts, etc advocates testing out a full pack back for a one hour walk pre trip. In this way, you will know how it feels on your back. Everyone is different with extra weight one's back ( centre of gravity etc)

Give it a try NC teacher.

I was thinking more of the fact that once you put it on your back, your whole center of gravity changes, i.e. it's a lot different walking with 50 lbs. on your back than doing squats with heavy weights in each hand. But if you're comfortable with it go for it. Just suggesting a trial run at home.

And it doesn't matter what the bag weighs empty; if the OP takes everyone she appears to want to take, the bag will likely be close to the airline weight limit when it's all packed and ready to go. ;)

Somehow I don't think OP will ever use the backpack feature of this bag. Less weight for the bag means more weight for her stuff.

There are ways to make 50lbs seem heavier or lighter on your back. There's a science to packing a back pack properly.

Edited by SadieN

Next project for you is to think about reducing your lotions, potions and options. If not the amount then the size.

The Vivienne Files has a good post today. about figuring out how much you'd need for a trip. The comments are also very informative.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2016/04/how-i-pack-light-part-2000000-or-so-and.html?m=1

Interesting article, thanks for sharing! My skincare is very basic. I'm acne prone so I use a cream from my dermatologist for that and I bring Cetaphil travel size moisturizer and cleanser. All my cosmetics and such will fit in the toiletry kit I ordered.

I realize how heavy it will be. I filled it last night, put it on and walked up and down the stairs. It was no problem. The plan is to use the wheels except when I'm doing stairs. As I mentioned earlier, I'm into lifting. I have a power cage and Olympic barbell set in my workout room at home in addition to a gym membership. I do my squats with a barbell on my upper back, with much more weight than I could fit in that bag and far exceeding the airline limit. I also use the barbell for deadlifts, overhead press, rows, bench press, etc. My workout last night was 85 minutes, only 30 of that was cardio. I realize I'm not the norm. I use to be a cardio bunny, but that was before suffering from plantar fasciitis for three awful years. Since then I have turned my focus to strength training.

Rick Steves, well known travel expert who appears on TV and has books, podcasts, etc advocates testing out a full pack back for a one hour walk pre trip. In this way, you will know how it feels on your back. Everyone is different with extra weight one's back ( centre of gravity etc)

Give it a try NC teacher.

That sounds like a great idea if I ever plan to use it that way. We chose this piece because of its flexibility. Our plan is to roll it except on stairs. I realize we may have several flights to go up and down with it as we never wait for the elevators. If I ever plan to remove the frame for travel however, I could try this first.

It's not big, but "tall". 14"x26"x11.5". They look a little like a conventional carryon that had a growth spurt ;-) My Osprey Sojourn is a similar convertible, 14"x25"x13", but it's heavier at 7.72lbs. I'm over 60, and I've put this on my back when wheels weren't usable. Now, mind you, I have not put more than about 34 lbs in it (this past week, it was at 30lbs to keep at the limit for the one tiny airline I was flying), but the load system makes it tolerable to put on my back.

For the packing folders/cubes: I used a Med folder (the Specter series), 2 Specter cubes, 2 ebags cubes, 1 ebag slim cube, a Wallaby toiletries kit, and a gallon bag to put my sunscreens and aloes and bug spray in. I WAY overpacked for this 10 day trip. There would be no way to do laundry for the first 5 nights, so I brought more clothes than I normally do and ended up bringing back a lot of the stuff unworn.

to the OP: absolutely load up the pack and put it on and walk the neighborhood and stairs in your house!!

Edited by slidergirl

I was so excited to get home today and see how our clothes looked. Everything in the folders looked fine. Most of the clothes I rolled up in the cubes were a bit wrinkled. My running shorts were good due to the material. Based on that we have decided to invest in more folders. We are thinking 3 more for the guys to each have one and then share one. I will use the two I have. I plan to use the cubes for socks, swimwear, undergarments, electronics, and possibly shorts, although they did great in the folder. Thank you all so much for the advice!! We will certainly be traveling lighter this time! [emoji4][emoji572]️

It's not big, but "tall". 14"x26"x11.5". They look a little like a conventional carryon that had a growth spurt ;-) My Osprey Sojourn is a similar convertible, 14"x25"x13", but it's heavier at 7.72lbs. I'm over 60, and I've put this on my back when wheels weren't usable. Now, mind you, I have not put more than about 34 lbs in it (this past week, it was at 30lbs to keep at the limit for the one tiny airline I was flying), but the load system makes it tolerable to put on my back.

For the packing folders/cubes: I used a Med folder (the Specter series), 2 Specter cubes, 2 ebags cubes, 1 ebag slim cube, a Wallaby toiletries kit, and a gallon bag to put my sunscreens and aloes and bug spray in. I WAY overpacked for this 10 day trip. There would be no way to do laundry for the first 5 nights, so I brought more clothes than I normally do and ended up bringing back a lot of the stuff unworn.

to the OP: absolutely load up the pack and put it on and walk the neighborhood and stairs in your house!!

I think you missed my earlier post where I mentioned I had completely loaded the bag and walked up and down to be stairs with it on with no problem. Again, I know it seems odd to most women, but I enjoy playing with barbells. [emoji41][emoji123] I'm also a little younger than you (and some others I assume since they are retired).

I'm also thinking about a slim cube(s) to fill in odd spaces.