Just Off Divina

lawra09

Just to be clear...

1. Took all of one hour to check-in.

2. Had to "stand in line" at kiosk for sail & sign card.

3. Did not learn "how to put on a life jacket" at muster drill.

4. Booked next to lowest "experience" and received next to lowest style balcony.

5. Feeling that hard hats should be required in the MDR.

= worst cruise ever out of 60?

Just to be more clear - there were several other things not mentioned and as far as booking next to lowest "experience", the Fantistico package is described as "superior balcony cabin in choice locations" so we were not expecting a steel hull balcony where you could not see out unless standing. Don't you think the reservations dept. should inform you that you are booking a steel hull balcony when the deck plan on their site clearly does not show it? On another note, we saw several people trip and fall on a step in the main theater every single night during the 8:30 show. It was in the center of the theater, half way down. There was evidently a tripping hazard which on the 4th night, they finally posted a crew member there to warn passengers. When they walked away to talk to another crew member, another person would trip and fall. Anyone else sitting in that area had to witness this. Lastly, when I checked my credit card account, it seems that the Divina's accounting office is in Paris and therefore, if you use a credit card that has a foreign transaction fee, you will be charged one. Naturally, they don't tell you that beforehand and the card I happened to pull out to use just happened to be the only one I have that has a foreign transaction fee. That is definitely something they should tell passengers ahead of time.

Guess I'm not that smart. Every other cruise line deck plans show very plainly both in colored markings and in fine print which cabins have obstructed views. How silly of me to expect MSC to do the same.

Lastly, when I checked my credit card account, it seems that the Divina's accounting office is in Paris and therefore, if you use a credit card that has a foreign transaction fee, you will be charged one. Naturally, they don't tell you that beforehand and the card I happened to pull out to use just happened to be the only one I have that has a foreign transaction fee. That is definitely something they should tell passengers ahead of time.

This is from their website:

What is the currency onboard?

MSC uses banks outside the USA to process all onboard credit card transactions. Please remember to contact your bank or credit card company prior to departure to alert them of your travel plans. Also depending on your bank or credit card company you may incur a foreign transaction fee. Please contact your local bank or credit card company for further information.

I realize it would much more convenient if they talked about this in your documents but the info is there.

Bret

Guess I'm not that smart. Every other cruise line deck plans show very plainly both in colored markings and in fine print which cabins have obstructed views. How silly of me to expect MSC to do the same.

do you mean that due to the location and shape of the ship it was recessed against a steel bulkhead? Because that's very easy to tell from the deck plans without any notations; and Fantastica has choice of their own rooms. Did you select your own room or do a guarantee??

do you mean that due to the location and shape of the ship it was recessed against a steel bulkhead? Because that's very easy to tell from the deck plans without any notations; and Fantastica has choice of their own rooms. Did you select your own room or do a guarantee??

I did not take a guaranty. Together with the MSC reservations dept chose our cabins while looking at the cabins on the deck plan on MSC Divina's site. I invite you to look at it and you will see that it is not recessed in any way nor does it state in any fine print that these cabins are steel balconies. The MSC representative should have advised me of this while picking out the cabins. They definitely are not well trained and familiar with the site plans. They are forward cabins on deck 9 in the Fantastica class.

I did not take a guaranty. Together with the MSC reservations dept chose our cabins while looking at the cabins on the deck plan on MSC Divina's site. I invite you to look at it and you will see that it is not recessed in any way nor does it state in any fine print that these cabins are steel balconies. The MSC representative should have advised me of this while picking out the cabins. They definitely are not well trained and familiar with the site plans. They are forward cabins on deck 9 in the Fantastica class.

Thank you for clarifying; I was not sure what you had meant by "steel balcony" if you meant bulkhead bc of shape, or steel as in not glass so can't see out when sitting.

Like most reservation agents from the other cruise lines, they probably have never set foot on a ship and have no knowledge other than what is on the paper in front of them. EM

LMaxwell,,,Andre Schlemmer who is MSC Divina's normal cd will be back onboard to replace Darren McColl on May 5th. Andre is excellent!!! He's been the cd on all 3 of our Divina sailings,,hoping he will join MSC Seaside once she starts sailing from Miami in 2017. :)

Agree Mike Andre is very good.

I invite you to look at it and you will see that it is not recessed in any way nor does it state in any fine print that these cabins are steel balconies.

As you see, the "stell hull" balconies are not marked in the deckplan, and because of that the MSC Rep was not able to tell you. They could do better in this point.

Though it would be nice if these cabins were marked (like some other cruiselines do), these staterooms are not considered as having restricted views.

By the way, as MSC is a european cruiseline, it should be no surprise they use a european bank. Thin slices of meat are just the italian style - you can always order for a second plate.

LMaxwell,,,Andre Schlemmer who is MSC Divina's normal cd will be back onboard to replace Darren McColl on May 5th. Andre is excellent!!! He's been the cd on all 3 of our Divina sailings,,hoping he will join MSC Seaside once she starts sailing from Miami in 2017. :)

I agree, Andre is great!

Just to be more clear - there were several other things not mentioned and as far as booking next to lowest "experience", the Fantistico package is described as "superior balcony cabin in choice locations" so we were not expecting a steel hull balcony where you could not see out unless standing. Don't you think the reservations dept. should inform you that you are booking a steel hull balcony when the deck plan on their site clearly does not show it? On another note, we saw several people trip and fall on a step in the main theater every single night during the 8:30 show. It was in the center of the theater, half way down. There was evidently a tripping hazard which on the 4th night, they finally posted a crew member there to warn passengers. When they walked away to talk to another crew member, another person would trip and fall. Anyone else sitting in that area had to witness this. Lastly, when I checked my credit card account, it seems that the Divina's accounting office is in Paris and therefore, if you use a credit card that has a foreign transaction fee, you will be charged one. Naturally, they don't tell you that beforehand and the card I happened to pull out to use just happened to be the only one I have that has a foreign transaction fee. That is definitely something they should tell passengers ahead of time.

Lots of balconies, on lots of ships, on lots of lines, have steel walled balconies from the waist down. They are not considered obstructed on any of them. I don't consider them obstructed either

Lots of balconies, on lots of ships, on lots of lines, have steel walled balconies from the waist down. They are not considered obstructed on any of them. I don't consider them obstructed either

On other ships such as Holland America, they are clearly marked in the deck plan and you are told that these are steel balconies and your view is certainly obstructed when you have to stand up to see the water. The best way to described it is a cabin with a very large picture window. They are certainly not considered "superior balcony cabins" as described in the fantastico pkg description. A very deceitful way of selling these undesirable cabins.

On other ships such as Holland America, they are clearly marked in the deck plan and you are told that these are steel balconies and your view is certainly obstructed when you have to stand up to see the water. The best way to described it is a cabin with a very large picture window. They are certainly not considered "superior balcony cabins" as described in the fantastico pkg description. A very deceitful way of selling these undesirable cabins.

Well, let us have a look at a HAL deck plan (e.g. ms Zuiderdam). There are markers for these different restrictions:

- Partial sea view

- Fully obstructed view

- Staterooms have solid steel verandah railings instead of clear-view Plexiglass railings

Staterooms of this, third category ("solid steel verandah railings") are not generally marked as having fully obstructed view or partial sea view, just because they are not considered as having obstructed sea view.

"Fully obstructed view" means you will not see the sea at all, "partial sea view" means you may have to take a glimpse between lifeboats. Neither of this is the case with the solid steel balcony.

It is of course true that MSC deck plans do not indicate the steel balcony at all, and for sure it would be better if they did.

On another note, we saw several people trip and fall on a step in the main theater every single night during the 8:30 show.

Now, see, you should have read my review! :D The problem is the stairs stop and you walk on a level surface for 2 steps then boom! one more step, just as you're looking around trying to find a seat. :( I fell there, so, I was quick to mention it when I returned. People also fell in the lounge during the muster and in the Cafe, where there was an unexpected step down. It's a very trippy ship! :eek:

As you see, the "stell hull" balconies are not marked in the deckplan, and because of that the MSC Rep was not able to tell you. They could do better in this point.

Though it would be nice if these cabins were marked (like some other cruiselines do), these staterooms are not considered as having restricted views.

By the way, as MSC is a european cruiseline, it should be no surprise they use a european bank. Thin slices of meat are just the italian style - you can always order for a second plate.

This is ridiculous, your making such a big thing over looking over the steel balcony versus looking straight ahead. I may have been a slight obstruction but not a major disaster.

This is ridiculous, your making such a big thing over looking over the steel balcony versus looking straight ahead. I may have been a slight obstruction but not a major disaster.

I have no skin in this game but I think a steel balcony should be fully disclosed. I had one years ago (different ship/line). It wasn't just the view I found less desirable, it wAs the loudness on the balcony as everything echoes off metal. It sounded like I was yelling in a tunnel to have normal conversation.

I have no skin in this game but I think a steel balcony should be fully disclosed. I had one years ago (different ship/line). It wasn't just the view I found less desirable, it wAs the loudness on the balcony as everything echoes off metal. It sounded like I was yelling in a tunnel to have normal conversation.

Very good point.

We had a steel hull balcony on the preziosa last year. I tried to get confirmation from msc and they told me it wasn't so asked the excellent skier52 who confirmed we had a steel balcony.

Calling msc back we were offered a disabled room but DH did not want it.

It would have really disappointed me if we had seen that balcony for the first time when we boarded. But I would not have allowed it to ruin my cruise.

As I was prepared for this, I took pleasure in the balcony .

in fact It was a much nicer balcony than 16001 yacht club on divina which is a front facing balcony and you could not see the sea.

We are on Fantasia in YC on 1st may ... 7 days and counting ...

Edited by ferniedog

When you're used to sitting on the balcony enjoying morning coffee or a cocktail looking out over the sea and instead you're looking at a steel wall, it is a big thing. It's more than a slight obstruction - it's a total obstruction unless you're standing looking over the railing. Didn't let it ruin our cruise - just will never book MSC again.

When you're used to sitting on the balcony enjoying morning coffee or a cocktail looking out over the sea and instead you're looking at a steel wall, it is a big thing. It's more than a slight obstruction - it's a total obstruction unless you're standing looking over the railing. Didn't let it ruin our cruise - just will never book MSC again.

Just because of the balcony?

Just because of the balcony?

they already left a nasty 1 star review in the review section. Some people are just unreasonable. Maybe put them on a Carnival Fantasy-Class ship and see if they can rate it Negative 2 Stars?