First and LAST time booking directly though Carnival!!

Luvsnorkeling

I have always booked my cruises through a cruise agency. However, due to various posts proclaiming the "benefits" of booking directly through Carnival, I decided to give it a try.

Upon booking, I made it clear to the Carnival representative that I wanted cancel for any reason insurance, since my cruise was near the Thanksgiving holidays and things can always change depending on family members' decisions. I was assured that this was what I had, and my card was immediately charged for the insurance plus deposit.

When I book through other cruise agencies, I always get cancel for any reason insurance. I've had to file a claim in the past and never had any problems with receiving payment. So I assumed it would be the same with Carnival and their insurance. Boy, was I wrong!!

Although I received an invoice for the cruise, I never received a copy of the insurance policy. Since that was my first time booking with Carnival, I had no idea to even expect to receive one. So just a few weeks after booking, something arose where I needed to cancel the cruise. When I called Carnival, they said I needed to contact the insurance company and file a claim. So I did that, only to receive a form from the company saying I had to qualify for refund of my money under one of the "covered reasons." I called the insurance company and explained that I had cancel for any reason insurance and did not fall under any of their "covered reasons." Imagine my surprise to be told that I DID NOT have cancel for any reason insurance and that I would have to call Carnival to work it out!

Upon calling Carnival, I got nowhere. They told me that the insurance I had purchased was only cancel for one of the covered reasons and that it was stated in the policy. I explained that the booking agent had not explained that to me and that I had never received a copy of the policy so I could review it. All I got from the person I spoke with and the one or two others she checked with was, "Sorry, that's our policy." So I am out my money with no recourse!

I will NEVER book with Carnival again and probably will never sail with them again either. If someone is going to work in their employ, they need to train them in the products they sell and how to explain them to the customer. And they should take responsibility for the failure of their agents to provide such explanation and failure to send a copy of the policy to the customer.

I'm sure all the Carnival "loyals" will flame me and say this is all my fault. All I can say is...if it were you and your money, you would sing a different tune!

I am posting this simply to WARN others. If you book through Carnival, INSIST on getting a copy of any insurance policy you purchase through them and make the agent read/explain it to your total satisfaction before you get off the phone. Then watch to be sure you actually receive the policy and READ it! If it's not what you agreed upon, WASTE NO TIME in calling Carnival to speak directly with a supervisor! And keep your fingers crossed that they will even believe what you say!

I am not flaming. I have been flamed enough myself, not do do it to someone else. When you make a booking by telephone, or any transaction for that matter by telephone, those calls are recorded I believe. So, try calling back and ask for a supervisor. Keep calling till you get someone who will help. Ask, if they can review the booking call. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I print off the insurance policy purchased through Carnival, to make sure I have a copy before sailing. It should appear on their website or with your documents. Sorry there was a misunderstanding when you booked. I, too, think you should call and ask for upper management, in the hopes that the booking call can be retrieved. Good luck.

You should definitely not let this slide. Call them back and go up the chain of command. Demand to have the original conversation recording made available to you.

You may have to fight, but I think you should. Don't give up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not book directly with Carnival most of the time, so I am not defending the rep. BUT...

Regardless of who you booked with you, you should have made sure to review your insurance policy; especially if cancel for any reason coverage was so vitally important to your plans. To say you never received a copy of policy....ok but you should have followed up and asked for a copy. Whenever we buy the insurance, we get the emailed copy immediately upon paying. Being that cancel for any reason has a window of time in which to purchase it, you definitely should have stayed on top of that. You were using a new way of booking. Even more of a reason to stay on top of it. Also, cancel for any reason premiums are considerably more expensive. You didn't notice a price difference? The rep messed up. Might not have even paid your specific request any attention. Totally unacceptable but I think you needed to be a bit more diligent.

Call again and escalate to a supervisor. Demand the call be listened to. I had a different issue with them one time and after listening to the recorded call I was made whole -

It's not fun to have to chase this stuff but don't give up!

We have never bought traveler's insurance from Carnival. It's more expensive, and too limiting, than a policy you can get through any one of dozens of other insurance agencies. It's unfortunate that you weren't well informed before the fact about the restrictions of Carnival's insurance policy. Hopefully, you can get someone that will help you with your situation. The next time you plan a cruise, BEFORE you purchase traveler's insurance, make sure you know exactly what's covered and what isn't. There's really no reason to restrict yourself to whatever policy a cruise line sells. Go to insuremytrip dot com. You can do side-by-side comparisons of several different policies from several different companies, and choose the policy that best suits your needs.

This is a very unfortunate set of circumstances and I'm really sorry it happened to you. You should have been informed up front as to what you were actually purchasing. You may try to contact John Heald as well besides all the other suggestions. I hope you can find someone to help you!

I have gotten a cancel for any reason plan from Carnival once before, I think it was two or three years ago. But for my cruise least year, it was not available anymore, and for my upcoming cruise this year, it was also not available, according to my pvp. I, only recently began looking at Carnival's insurance plan's coverage, and see that it is not the best, so I heeded the advice of posters on here, and got a policy from insuremytrip. Much better coverage. Cost more, but much better coverage in my opinion. However it also is not cancel for any reason, but has a broad range of reasons to cancel.

Edited by SMSACE6

I am confused...is your cruise for this coming Thanksgiving? Because if so you are before final payment and can cancel without penalty. Is it something from previous years?:confused:

I'm confused too:eek: Why use insurance? Just cancel. Is this an ES deal?

Carnival only sells one kind of insurance and that policy includes Cancel For Any Reason.

I don't think so unless it's changed in the last few years.

The Cancel for any Reason policy has certain limitations. Must be purchased immediately with the down payment.

Otherwise you can purchase the regular trip insurance as long as it's before final payment, but the sooner the better.

I prefer a 3rd party insurer that is much cheaper and has better coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

if they knew there was a chance they might cancel I certainly wouldnt think they would purchase ES with all the restrictions even with insurance

if they didnt purchase ES, then they can cancel for a full refund.

so I am a bit confused

I'm confused too:eek: Why use insurance? Just cancel. Is this an ES deal?

If it was early saver, and before final payment, there is nothing to recover. $50 penalty and the rest would be held for a future cruise. Insurance does not reimburse for the future cruise part because it is not a loss.

Carnival's insurance policy is part of the documents you print out after you book the cruise and create you Booking record. It does not have a complete "cancel for any reason" situation. There are conditional reasons for cancelling. Had you printed out the documents you would have seen the provisions and cancelled the insurance and bought a different policy that more closely met your needs.

Not a troll...what a ridiculous comment!!! Been posting on here for MANY years on various cruise lines' boards, which can easily be checked out. Why would I go to the trouble and time to write numerous paragraphs just to troll Carnival? Have much better things to do with my time. Give me a royal break!! Just trying to warn others...

Yes, I finally found out it was ES. But the rep did not tell me about all the restrictions of ES! Not a frequent Carnival cruiser and did not know ES from any other type of booking. When rep heard me say I wanted cancel for any reason insurance, why did he not tell me right then and there that this type of booking ALREADY came with a cancellation penalty that even insurance would not refund? Now I'm out my deposit AND the insurance premiums for two people! And yes, the Carnival insurance was more expensive than the same type of insurance I've bought through other cruise agencies in the past. That's why I never dreamed it was not cancel for any reason.

Believe me--I've learned my lesson! Will get my own insurance in the future!!

That explains a lot and makes me really appreciate my carnival PVP and I use him because he explains everything to me before I book and sends me the info before I even hang up with him.

I feel bad for the OP I had an experience but with an online agency and while I WILL NOT book with them again it was my fault for not reading the fine print, but the gal didn't tell me the ins and outs of booking at a reduced deposit as far as how they break it up.

I to appreciate all the people here who help answer questions I have learned al lot since I have been here.

Retired to cruise,

Who prints out their documents 11 months before their cruise? Have been on more than 15 cruises and have never printed docs that early! They wouldn't even be complete by then until final payment made, shore excursions booked, etc.

Guess maybe some do though...

Not a troll...what a ridiculous comment!!! Been posting on here for MANY years on various cruise lines' boards, which can easily be checked out. Why would I go to the trouble and time to write numerous paragraphs just to troll Carnival? Have much better things to do with my time. Give me a royal break!! Just trying to warn others...

Yes, I finally found out it was ES. But the rep did not tell me about all the restrictions of ES! Not a frequent Carnival cruiser and did not know ES from any other type of booking. When rep heard me say I wanted cancel for any reason insurance, why did he not tell me right then and there that this type of booking ALREADY came with a cancellation penalty that even insurance would not refund? Now I'm out my deposit AND the insurance premiums for two people! And yes, the Carnival insurance was more expensive than the same type of insurance I've bought through other cruise agencies in the past. That's why I never dreamed it was not cancel for any reason.

Believe me--I've learned my lesson! Will get my own insurance in the future!!

Sorry the cancellation is not working in your favor. I would at least argue that if the insurance does not apply to your type of booking, the purchase should have been rejected automatically. Therefore you are entitled to the insurance premium refund.. That would be my argument if it happened to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In answer to the question, tried to get Carnival to cancel the insurance. They refused. Said it was all part of the ES restrictions that the rep never told me about.

Did anyone else know that ES carries with it a restriction that prevents cancelling the insurance, I guess even if you've just recently booked when you cancel as I did?

A good thing for you to know in the future...