Bar tips/gratuity question

That is correct. Tips are added to the drink price. You are under no obligation to add anything to it.

That being said we normally find a bar or lounge that we enjoy and will spend evenings there. The bar we enjoy is normally because of the bartender. We will give an additional tip to that person through out the cruise. It's amazing how they remember that. ;);)

Edited by rharvey999

Hi everyone

Soon we will crusing as first timers on Voyager Of the Seas. We have paid upfront gratuities when we booked. I am confused about what to do in the main dining room in regards to tipping. I have read envelopes are left on the table at end of dining for tips. Not sure if this is fact? I think we shouldn't feel the need to tip again when we have paid gratituies upfront. Will be looked upon badly if we do not. I see this as an uncomfortable situation. Those leaving tips may be the ones who have not paid upfront. The waiters are not likey to know this though.

Can anyone help with advice.

Thanks

p.s new to crusie critic so if i have posted this incorrectly let me know

Hi everyone

Soon we will crusing as first timers on Voyager Of the Seas. We have paid upfront gratuities when we booked. I am confused about what to do in the main dining room in regards to tipping. I have read envelopes are left on the table at end of dining for tips. Not sure if this is fact? I think we shouldn't feel the need to tip again when we have paid gratituies upfront. Will be looked upon badly if we do not. I see this as an uncomfortable situation. Those leaving tips may be the ones who have not paid upfront. The waiters are not likey to know this though.

Thanks

If you have paid upfront gratuities, then that takes care of your dining staff. No envelopes will be left on the dining table. You will not be looked upon badly if you don't tip more.

Hi everyone

Thanks

The waiters do know who has paid in advance or on their onboard account, so no need to worry. There won't be envelopes on the table, but there may be some in your cabin. It's entirely up to you if you want to give any staff something additional, and no problem if you don't.

Your waiter will probably also 'remind' you to complete the post-cruise survey and give them a 10. We always just say we understand, and we have found the service to be excellent.

Voyager is a great ship and I'm sure you'll love it! Happy to answer any other queries you have

Edited by BekkaW

Thanks everyone for your advice. Glad to hear the waiters do know who has paid the grat's. The whole tipping thing is generally foreign to us here in Australia. Were a bit slow to catch on here.

Thanks

We rarely eat in the MDR. I like to stay casual and prefer the relaxed atmosphere of the Windjammer for dinner - plus, it's (usually) quiet. Because of this, we will usually sit in the same area all week and build a relationship with the staff member covering that area. We will usually give them the tip that would have been given in the MDR - they are always so appreciative. If we feel like something more "upscale", we'll make reservations for one of the specialty restaurants. Just my 2 cents.:)

We rarely eat in the MDR.... We will usually give them the tip that would have been given in the MDR - they are always so appreciative.

You do know that WJ staff rotate in and out of the dining room, right? All of the staff take turns working the WJ buffet. We have seen our waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter all working the WJ at various times. Your pre-paid or auto gratuities cover them when they work in the WJ. Yes they appreciate the tip - it's actually a little extra for them. :)

WITH APOLOGIES to OP - sorry, this thread has side-tracked. :o

Edited by Langley Cruisers

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

We are first time cruisers and been told a lot of people will attend the service desk and ask for the pre-paid gratuities be removed and they choose who and when to tip throughout the cruise. Has anyone done this is?

I'd much rather tip our waiters/stewards directly, but unsure if this is acceptable?

On another note, I have read that gratuities are not equally shared amongst staff with some receiving more than others.

Does anyone have inside info on the distribution of tips?

Cheers :)

Hi All,

We are first time cruisers and been told a lot of people will attend the service desk and ask for the pre-paid gratuities be removed and they choose who and when to tip throughout the cruise. Has anyone done this is?

I'd much rather tip our waiters/stewards directly, but unsure if this is acceptable?

On another note, I have read that gratuities are not equally shared amongst staff with some receiving more than others.

You can go to Guest Services and remove automatic tips. I'm not sure it's easy to remove prepaid tips. Tipping directly with cash is acceptable and no problem.

Distribution of tips:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5523

Edited by clarea

Are tips included in the price of bar and pool drinks? I read RCI adds 18% to bar and beverages. is this correct? If so, No tipping is required right?

Thanks, John

You'll see a drink listed on the menu as $10 (for ease of calculations).

The payment slip you'll sign will say something like

Drink $10.00

Gratuity $1.80

Total $11.80

So the tip is auto calculated and included on the slip for you - there's no requirement to add anything extra, though there is a blank space on the slip you sign if you wish to do so.

Hi All,

Yes a lot of people (on Australian cruises) ask at guest services for the gratuities to be removed. I'm skeptical that they then pay in cash, it seems more likely to me that they're just not paying them as it's not so customary here. I encourage you to leave them in place and forget about them, it's just part of the cost of the cruise - which is usually much less than if we took a hotel and factored in transport and accommodation.

Yes different staff receive different amounts, relative to their individual jobs.

Hi All,

why create MORE work for yourself and put an extra burden on your staff? if you remove gratuities, they must take any cash they get from you and pool with with others. thus they will not end up with everything you gave them and could end up getting less than what just leaving the daily charge on

there IS a list somewhere of the breakdown percentage/dollar wise of who gets wait between the Wait staff( including the head waiter and Maitre d') and the housekeeping staff.

if you want reward those who have done you a special service tip them extra in cash but leave the cut charges on your account. it is the EASIEST and FAIREST way to go about it for ALL concerned.

the portion of the daily charge that covers the waitstaff covers ALL eating venues that do not have a fee.. so if you have breakfast in the Buffet and Lunch by the pool and dinner in the MDR, EVERYONE involved with serving you has been taken care of. you are under zero obligations o goes anything over and above unless you feel it is warranted.

as far as bar tips go, I never add to the 18% on the slip.

What I do at whatever bar I choose to frequent by the pool is give my favorite bartender $10 cash when I order my first bloody mary at around 10am. This gets me remembered for the rest of the day and when it gets especially busy and it's hard to get a drink, my guy or guys will usually take care of me. I'll have a drink package too, so sometimes they won't even have me sign a slip if it's crazy busy.

On a particular long pool day, I'll put down some cash later in the day too.

Another perk I've received on occasion (I have drink package, my wife does not) is I've gone up to the bar with my wife and ordered a drink for each, fully intending on paying for my wifes drink (she doesn't drink much) and the bartender not charging me for hers because of my generosity. It's happened several times on various cruises and does put a smile on my face even though it's only a small amount of money.

This is a strategy I'll use at any bar I frequent daily, like the english pub.

Hi All,

Acceptable is a matter of opinion, but it's definitely allowed. So, if you want to make the whole process more complicated, you can do so.

You'll see a drink listed on the menu as $10 (for ease of calculations).

The payment slip you'll sign will say something like

Drink $10.00

Gratuity $1.80

Total $11.80

So the tip is auto calculated and included on the slip for you - there's no requirement to add anything extra, though there is a blank space on the slip you sign if you wish to do so.

For cruises out of Australia only the $11.80 would be shown.

Gratuities are a word Royal Caribbean Australia go into overtime to avoid.

as far as bar tips go, I never add to the 18% on the slip.

What I do at whatever bar I choose to frequent by the pool is give my favorite bartender $10 cash when I order my first bloody mary at around 10am. This gets me remembered for the rest of the day and when it gets especially busy and it's hard to get a drink, my guy or guys will usually take care of me. I'll have a drink package too, so sometimes they won't even have me sign a slip if it's crazy busy.

On a particular long pool day, I'll put down some cash later in the day too.

Another perk I've received on occasion (I have drink package, my wife does not) is I've gone up to the bar with my wife and ordered a drink for each, fully intending on paying for my wifes drink (she doesn't drink much) and the bartender not charging me for hers because of my generosity. It's happened several times on various cruises and does put a smile on my face even though it's only a small amount of money.

This is a strategy I'll use at any bar I frequent daily, like the english pub.

That's a bribe not s tip.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Forums mobile app