about to be dumped by Azamara

compliance

The cruise we had booked on Azamara for Oct 2017 has been chartered. I am so disgusted I am considering jumping ship to the Royal Princess.

I appreciate it is a much larger ship but any information regarding the ambience on board would be appreciated. We are an older couple so would not appreciate a "carnival" atmosphere and loud music everywhere. We frequently sail with Celebrity and occasionally Cunard. We enjoy the shows, watching dancing, port talks.

Many thanks in advance for any input

If you prefer a more sedate and "traditional cruising" atmosphere, you should do well with Princess.

From what we've seen, Cunard and Princess are generally the more classic cruise lines. There's few gee-whiz bells and whistles on princess ships, focusing on comfort and elegance and enhancing their core experiences (restaurants, the spa, the sanctuary, the Piazza, and so on).

I guess one way to put it is this: newer RCCL ships will have gondolas and slides and rope courses, whereas the most "non-traditional" feature of the newer Princess ships (the Royal class) is the skywalk: a walkway which bulges out of the sides on the Lido deck, allowing you to look down at the sea. And even then, they put a bar on one of those bulges. :)

We're sailing on the Royal in 2 weeks (Barcelona to Athens, so close!!), and we're very much looking forward to it. :)

I'm looking at Barcelona to Rome! I had a back to back booked with Azamara and have family that were to join us on the second leg from Rome. Reluctantly I may keep that leg to avoid our family losing their deposit. Time will tell.

Thank you for the reassurance. I will get my TA to see what is available,

I say do both cruises (back to back Royal and Amazara) They will be different experiences and both will be enjoyable. I've sailed Regal and was blown away by the ship. It's my favorite ship now (out of 36 cruises). The food, ambiance and activities on Princess are great. It's by no means a party atmosphere- but enough going on to make it fun. Lots to do in pretty surroundings.

Where Amazara will excel is the ease of getting on and off the ship while in port.

I've done various cruise lines over the 10 years or so, that I've been cruising.

As a fellow Sr. citizen I feel very comfortable on Princess' ships, tho I probably wouldn't like their new gigante ships; too big and way too many people.

I have sailed both Azamara and Princess and also on Royal and Regal. Princess does not have a person playing the harp but neither does Azamara. (you rember she was cut out) But Princes has a wonderful string quartet that plays just about ever day and are a delight to listen to. We were also on Regal Princess this year and beside the strings there was also a very good opera singer. Royal also had a great guest singer. As for food I like Princess better. I did not care for the spices that Chef Lisa used on our two Azamara cruises. Crew on Azamara is wonderful. Princess has a great crew/staff too. The Beatles band on board was good but way too loud, so we left. We are seniors too, and Princess is a good fit for us.

The cruise we had booked on Azamara for Oct 2017 has been chartered. I am so disgusted I am considering jumping ship to the Royal Princess.

I appreciate it is a much larger ship but any information regarding the ambience on board would be appreciated. We are an older couple so would not appreciate a "carnival" atmosphere and loud music everywhere. We frequently sail with Celebrity and occasionally Cunard. We enjoy the shows, watching dancing, port talks.

Many thanks in advance for any input

There is no comparsion between the two. I sailed the Royal and the lines and waits on a mega ship of over 3000 passengers will annoy you. I sailed Azamara with it's 600 passengers and would prefer Azamara. The service on Azamara is way above the Royal. The food is considerably better on Azamara. Now the price difference is significant of course. Princess charges an unreasonably high daily gratuity that you can adjust at guest services. Princess charges for soda, beer and wine. There is no transportation into towns.

We were also bumped, but by Celebrity. We were offered $100 OBC for the trouble of moving to another date about 6 wks. later. Many, many ships are chartered and for Celebrity, it ended up being almost 3 months of charters. It happens and it can throw your plans for a loop. We're really happy with the replacement cruise we chose and I hope you have the same good luck. ;)

We were also bumped, but by Celebrity. We were offered $100 OBC for the trouble of moving to another date about 6 wks. later. Many, many ships are chartered and for Celebrity, it ended up being almost 3 months of charters. It happens and it can throw your plans for a loop. We're really happy with the replacement cruise we chose and I hope you have the same good luck. ;)

Celebrity and Princess are more alike because they are mass market lines with thousands (not 600 ) passengers. I equally like Princess and celebrity but Azamara has them beat. You do get what you pay for.

If you have sailed Azamara before, you will feel right at home on Pacific Princess because she is another "R-ship" from the old Renaissance cruise line. But don't forget that Azamara has just put $$$ into updating their R-ships. There are many comparison reviews of the R-ships on Oceania and Azamara, but I haven't seen many comparing Pacific Princess -- so I hope you will come back to both Boards with your review!

If you have sailed Azamara before, you will feel right at home on Pacific Princess because she is another "R-ship" from the old Renaissance cruise line. But don't forget that Azamara has just put $$$ into updating their R-ships. There are many comparison reviews of the R-ships on Oceania and Azamara, but I haven't seen many comparing Pacific Princess -- so I hope you will come back to both Boards with your review!

I totally forgot the Pacific Princess is 600 pax. That would equal that ship with Azamara. It won't be as inclusive on the Pacific but the price will be considerably less.