RCI needs to do something about self disembark.

I absolutely agree! I've seen self-disembark work well on other lines, but it seems like it's a free-for-all on RCI. I think it needs to be capacity controlled, and the cruise line still needs to bring some order to the process with staggered walk-off times and smaller groups. They also need to turn back those who clearly can't handle the luggage they've brought. Not only are those people slowing down the process, they're also creating a dangerous situation.

To me, they would be able to get hold of the situation if people had to sign up and be assigned a group to self-disembark with. Currently, RCI has no idea how many people are doing self-assist, and exerts no control over the chaos.

As it is now, the disembarkation process is miserable for everyone who isn't at the front of the self-assist line.

Edited by Cindy

I live near PC. If I take a weekend cruise, I am the first off as I need to be at work. Many locals do this, so we must do self debarkation, we can't wait until the last ones off.

I love when the concierge takes his group to do self/debarkation.

MJ does this.

Raj from the Independence did this too, but he isn't there anymore.

Felix from the enchantment did this also, but he is gone from the enchantment. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think self disembark for short cruises should be eliminated. It's a short cruise and most of the folks are local. So they drove to the port and have no need to hurry and get off the ship to catch a flight.

I agree with scorpluvsdolphins -- for the 3- and 4-night cruises out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale that come back on a weekday, it's not a question of catching a flight, it's about getting to work. And, there have been quite a few times where we needed to get off the ship relatively early to get our daughter to school. In elementary school, she would wear her school uniform when disembarking...and inevitably we'd see other kids in school uniforms also.

Edited by MMLEsq

We did self-disembark last month on Serenade...there were quite a few that chose this option and we were in line on deck 5 for about 40 minutes (partly because two ambulances had pulled up.

The line was, for the most part, orderly and patient, despite stretching nearly to the aft of the ship. It wasn't until a group of 6 came out of a set of doors and proceeded to try and 'join' the line just behind us (there was no room to pass any further because the deck narrowed). When we all told them the end of the line was 'that way' (pointing to the rear) they stated "But we have an international flight to catch"...I said "we all have flights to catch...and opted to get in line earlier".

They didn't care and just pushed their way into the line.

we usually do self off because we each only have one carry on bag, several years ago in Port canaveral we were coming off and a couple in front of us on the escalator were carrying liquor and bags, and one of them fell,and the liquor was broken, causing a pile up the escalator and my husband was hurt and our bags were crushed, what a disaster, had a very bruised back and shoulder and we went to the urgent care in town, there was security guard that took a report, but they never contacted us , our insurance paid for the visit. We still do self carry off, but really watch who we get behind and make sure they have a hand on the rail. People just try to carry too much off.

We just left Independence of the Seas in Fort Lauderdale on Monday. We carried our own suitcases. It was a MESS! One person to control a huge crowd, and it seemed most people just did what they wanted.

It was made clear that you had to be able to handle our own luggage down two flights of stairs. That did not stop people from tossing luggage, asking for help, even wheelchair people demanding to use this service.

No set line or time....people cutting in, and bad tempers.

Never experienced such a poorly planned disembarkation. Other lines that use self disembarkation, do assign letters and times for people to leave. Also various meeting places, and go by a certain order.

In the future I feel someone is going to get hurt by this policy. Witnessed suitcases literally flying down the stairs. Tempers flaring.

If you are going to continue with this policy......have more than one person to manage the crowd and the line. Have security there.

Studio B certainly could not handle the mess. People getting off elevator just cutting in line, and pretending not to understand English that the line forms there.

Yikes.

So it's more or less the stupid people on the cruise, not rccl.

Apparently it also extends into excursions from the reviews I've read of some. More than one that is clearly marked as "strenuous" and lists things such as "walking for up to 2 miles over cobblestones and uneven surfaces" and/or "standing for long periods of time" and/or "Those with limited mobility should not take this tour" has reviews stating that there were people who clearly were not up for the activity level of the tour and hence held everyone else back as the guide had to keep waiting for them. I've booked a couple because other reviews were extremely positive and the excursions are things I want to do - I'm just crossing my fingers that people really evaluate their limits before booking.

Trust me - having dealt with knee and foot things in the past, I get that it sucks when you can't do things you would like to do because of either temporary or permanent challenges to mobility - but it's not fair to punish everyone else who reads and follows the rules and advice!

This happened for my husband and teenage daughter last week. The excursion was a 12 mile bicycle tour listed as strenuous. The whole group ended up repeatedly waiting for a couple who clearly hadn't heeded the restrictions.

I wasn't on the tour since I know my limitations:). And our youngest didn't meet the age requirements.

Crazy what some people think they can handle on self-assist debarkation. It's not for those with young kids, mobility challenged, over-packers, those carrying alcohol, or anyone else who absolutely doesn't NEED to get off the ship at the crack of dawn.

As it is now, RCCL makes no money on self assist disembarkation. If they made money, they'd be managing it a whole lot better. So, kick me, hit me, toss me overboard, but I suggest $20 per person to self assist disembark.

The lines would suddenly drop like a falling suitcase.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Disembarked Navigator on Saturday to make a 10:35 flight. Was in the airport by 8:00. Smooth, organized, timely. No issues.

Do you recall what cruise terminal you arrived at?

As it is now, RCCL makes no money on self assist disembarkation. If they made money, they'd be managing it a whole lot better. So, kick me, hit me, toss me overboard, but I suggest $20 per person to self assist disembark.

Brilliant. Except all of us would expect it free with our "status". [emoji56]I agree with you. Make it a profit center.

If people act like animals now...and RCI creates rules....what makes you think the animals will follow any rules?

Remember, in today's society it is not about rules it is whatever you want.

I suggest cattle prods.

I agree with scorpluvsdolphins -- for the 3- and 4-night cruises out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale that come back on a weekday, it's not a question of catching a flight, it's about getting to work.
Absolutely--RCI handles self-disembarking well off these ships and DW and I generally make it to work by 8:00AM--if this service wasn't available, we'd have to take fewer of these cruises.

Travel in style and comfort. Let someone else carry your bags off. Early flight = request early number/tags. Relax and savor one last cup of coffee. You will get home soon enough and wont look like hillbillies sluggin all your luggage and kids and booze and straw hats through the Windjammer and hallways...just saying...

I am still trying to figure out the best plan for us when we sail soon. We are flexible but will have three small kids with us. At least with all these reports of chaos our expectations are super low :/

I did self carry off Liberty 10 days ago....with three kids (ages 10, 8 & 5) and me. Super easy. We each had a suitcase and away we went. Line moved well and customs was a breeze. Maybe 15 minutes for us to get off

Edited by Lynn1179

I couldn't disagree with this more

We drive to our ports, 12-15 hour trips. I need to be on the road asap to get home, especially if we arrive back in port on Sunday.

We got in line to disembark around 810am and were to our car by 840 getting off Liberty. That's 940 where I live. By the time I grabbed coffee, a bite to eat and fuel it was well after 10 in my time zone. I drove straight through to arrive home at 230 am so my kids could attend school in the AM

I'd be pissed if they wanted to charge me per person to carry my own luggage off

I know you didn't ask for my story, but just sharing my opinion.

That said, we don't get off trying to deal with more than we can carry/handle, even with the kids and we are patient, wait our turn, etc.:)

We just left Independence of the Seas in Fort Lauderdale on Monday. We carried our own suitcases. It was a MESS! One person to control a huge crowd, and it seemed most people just did what they wanted.

It was made clear that you had to be able to handle our own luggage down two flights of stairs. That did not stop people from tossing luggage, asking for help, even wheelchair people demanding to use this service.

No set line or time....people cutting in, and bad tempers.

Never experienced such a poorly planned disembarkation. Other lines that use self disembarkation, do assign letters and times for people to leave. Also various meeting places, and go by a certain order.

In the future I feel someone is going to get hurt by this policy. Witnessed suitcases literally flying down the stairs. Tempers flaring.

If you are going to continue with this policy......have more than one person to manage the crowd and the line. Have security there.

Studio B certainly could not handle the mess. People getting off elevator just cutting in line, and pretending not to understand English that the line forms there.

Yikes.

Yeah, we just walk off with our luggage when we feel like it also. So much easier.

I guess it's probably people freaking out about catching their flight.

If you depart the vessel the moment they call self disembark of course it will be bedlum. Just like if you go the jammer at exactly midday it will always be nuts. If you try to get an elevator right after a show. If you go to guest services at 4pm on day 1. The list continues.

We've done it several times and literally just walked through only stopping to drop forms.