Excursion Gratuities

Jordtz

What would be considered an appropriate gratuity for the pilot of a 60 - 90 minute airplane or helicopter excursion that lands on a glacier?

Thank you!!!!

We did that in Alaska and did not see anyone give a tip to the pilot.:)

What would be considered an appropriate gratuity for the pilot of a 60 - 90 minute airplane or helicopter excursion that lands on a glacier?

Thank you!!!!

$30.00 is what we gave the pilot. So, $25 to $30 sounds good. Most of the pilots are really wonderful and give you a great experience. Enjoy!

Helicopter pilots are well paid professionals who make between 80,000 and 120,000 a year.

Here is a thread from some time back discussing the same issue.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1085342

Good Point!!

A tip to a guide in a "3rd world" country who makes maybe $5000/year deserves a tip.

A well paid pilot in the US??:eek:

Helicopter pilots are well paid professionals who make between 80,000 and 120,000 a year.

Here is a thread from some time back discussing the same issue.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1085342

Somehow that thread didn't actually suggest that the pilots were making 80K to 120K per year. Probably the opposite.

By the way, our shuttle driver told us most pilots don't make a ton of money doing this. They usually do the job for a few years while earning flight hours.

Also not sure about the Alaska pilots who are doing tours for a max 5 months making anywhere near that kind of money. Do you know how much it costs to operate a plane or helicopter per hour these days? Try checking out the cost of a plane "wet" for flying lessons. I'm pretty sure the tour pilots aren't netting those big bucks you speak of especially with the cost of running the aircraft.

Somehow that thread didn't actually suggest that the pilots were making 80K to 120K per year. Probably the opposite.

Also not sure about the Alaska pilots who are doing tours for a max 5 months making anywhere near that kind of money. Do you know how much it costs to operate a plane or helicopter per hour these days? Try checking out the cost of a plane "wet" for flying lessons. I'm pretty sure the tour pilots aren't netting those big bucks you speak of especially with the cost of running the aircraft.

I know what a helicopter pilot makes in a year. I never stated or suggested that the thread mentioned their salary. The thread mentions other people's opinion on tipping the pilots on Alaskan tours.

Most helicopter pilots in Alaska are seasonal and then move to the mainland. Most helicopter pilots do not own the equipment or maintain it. They are owned by a company that pays people to fly them. Yes, it cost money to get the required flight hours before one can obtain a commercial license. So does getting a degree, etc.

I know what a helicopter pilot makes in a year. I never stated or suggested that the thread mentioned their salary. The thread mentions other people's opinion on tipping the pilots on Alaskan tours.

Most helicopter pilots in Alaska are seasonal and then move to the mainland. Most helicopter pilots do not own the equipment or maintain it. They are owned by a company that pays people to fly them. Yes, it cost money to get the required flight hours before one can obtain a commercial license. So does getting a degree, etc.

As far as those incomes. Apparently some do and many don't.

http://www.aneclecticmind.com/2007/03/23/the-helicopter-job-market/

If you are really impressed by the service provided, appropriate for me is 10-15% of price paid. But it is all subject to your discretion.

The pilot is also your guide doing the commentary, making sure everyone on the helicopter or light plane gets a good view and gets you to and from safely. If he does all of that and you have a wonderful time them maybe give him a tip. They do get paid well. Maybe not as much as has been stated here so it''s up to you. You're an Aussie, we don't normally tip and they know it. So $1 for the hotel bell hop, $5 for sometime bigger. You be the judge and remember you don't have to base it on percentages.

I would tip about 15% for any excursion, unless the guide or pilot was pretty bad. It doesn't matter if it's an expensive Princess one or private one, those who work for an excursion company and are hired through Princess probably don't make any more than the private ones. I think once in 12 years we didn't tip the guide because he was just horrible.

I hate to see people end their excursions and not tip the driver/and or guide.

I hate to see people end their excursions and not tip the driver/and or guide.

What you hate to see is your issue not mine. If it bothers you then don't look at what some else does.

Edited by cruzsnooze

The link is to an article from 2007. One job search website lists the 2016 median salary for Juneau helicopter pilots at $99,158, with 25 percent earning $84,074 or less and 25 percent earning $127,554 or more.

Tip what you're comfortable tipping. Personally, I don't care what the pilot makes. If he's providing me with a service and I'm happy with that service, I will tip.

I am glad that I read all the way to the bottom before putting in my two cents worth. Your comments are exactly what I was thinking.

DW use to question me about tipping when we first got married (53 yrs ago) but now she even suggests that maybe I should tip a little more sometimes when the guide is really good.

Good Service deserves to be Rewarded!

Just Mike

Tip what you're comfortable tipping. Personally, I don't care what the pilot makes. If he's providing me with a service and I'm happy with that service, I will tip.

Amen to that. Totally agree

If you are really impressed by the service provided, appropriate for me is 10-15% of price paid. But it is all subject to your discretion.

We pay for the quality of the service provided whether it's a glacier excursion or a tour of a rum factory. Did the tour guide "really want to be there" or just going thru the motions.