Koningsdam single cabin comments

bobpell

Can anyone who has stayed in the single cabins on the Main deck please post their thoughts on noise, location, room amenities and size?

Thanks

Bob

You'll have to wait until February for me. With so few single cabins, I expect not a lot of cruise critic members will be reporting on them.

Roy

Here's the panorama I took.
Which one is that? On the deck plan 1001/1002 look to be about 2/3 of the length of 1011/1018.
Is the window real or virtual?

TIA

real

Edited by jtl513

Which one is that? On the deck plan 1001/1002 look to be about 2/3 of the length of 1011/1018.

real

That was 1001 that we got the opportunity to view. I know the panorama can distort it a bit but the room was big enough to be functional but without excess space for aerobics and such ;) I stood right where the room opens up (so closets, bathroom door were behind me)

Bathroom was 100% identical to other rooms (interior, oceanview, balcony)

Edited by InTheWASide

Thanks for posting the excellent photo. I will be in the neighboring OO 1003 on a February 2017 voyage, and I cannot wait. I would love to hear any comments from folks who have experienced this new cabin category. By the way, the Koningsdam deck plans (in the Koningsdam brochure that came with Mariner) make it clear that the forward wall of OO 1001 is 162 feet aft of the bow, so that's a fairly large distance. Not too much noise from crashing swells, etc.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Thanks for the photo. I could probably be OK with that size cabin with the window. From the deck plan, it looks like there's a lot of variation in size among the single cabins.

Roz

Thanks for the photo. I still would like to hear from those who book these cabins due to the World Stage being overhead.

Any comments InTheWASide about the size of the bathroom?

Pictures that I have seen from those on the Amsterdam who visited the Koningsdam in Italy show a commode with what appears to be very little room between it and the shower stall doors.

Thanks for the photo. I still would like to hear from those who book these cabins due to the World Stage being overhead.

Any comments InTheWASide about the size of the bathroom?

Pictures that I have seen from those on the Amsterdam who visited the Koningsdam in Italy show a commode with what appears to be very little room between it and the shower stall doors.

Single rooms have the same size bathrooms as the other rooms, but for those that are taller it's possible you may end up with your knees rubbing the shower glass. To be a little more comfortable I sat at a slight angle but it's not too bad. Someone of VERY considerable size (I'm not small by ANY stretch but I managed just fine) may not be too comfortable though

Single rooms have the same size bathrooms as the other rooms, but for those that are taller it's possible you may end up with your knees rubbing the shower glass. To be a little more comfortable I sat at a slight angle but it's not too bad. Someone of VERY considerable size (I'm not small by ANY stretch but I managed just fine) may not be too comfortable though

It is good to know what one ought to expect. Thank you!

I wonder: did the same person who designed the Koningsdam's standard staterooms' bathrooms also design the Viewliner Roomette toilet facilites for Amtrak? With the bed down, your description of needing to use the commode, is what I experienced in my Viewliner Roomette.

This reminds me of a HAL Chief Engineer's comment that I once heard: "Those who design and build these ships ought to be made to live on them."

I guess that the bed is a regular queen that CANNOT be "converted" to twins. and that is a neat feature. The room size does seem to vary a lot. I guess I'll book an "oo" gty. and hope for an up grade or an upsell offer. It would be neat to hear if anyone got either on the first sailings.

Thanks for the picture! That looks like a reasonable size of cabin. For someone traveling solo, it should be fine, despite some of the disparaging and/or dismissive comments that have been made by some posters in the past about the solo cabins.

Couldn't have said it better

Cow Princess,

Since this is a new ship, how many people could have already stayed in the single cabins to have formed an opinion and made disparaging remarks? When you refer to "the past" are you talking about remarks made about single cabins on other ships such as the Prinsendam?

Roz

Cow Princess,

Since this is a new ship, how many people could have already stayed in the single cabins to have formed an opinion and made disparaging remarks? When you refer to "the past" are you talking about remarks made about single cabins on other ships such as the Prinsendam?

Roz

If I recall correctly, she is referring to past discussions of Kdam's solo cabins on threads about the ship. Some seem to have made up their minds early that these are terrible cabins, despite they are better than most ships offer for solo cruisers. Some apparently would like a Neptune Suite at a solo price.

Thanks for the clarification, Cruisemom. As a solo cruiser myself, I'm impressed HAL even included solo cabins on the new ship, and they have a WINDOW.

Roz

Edited by Roz

Cow Princess,

Roz

If I recall correctly, she is referring to past discussions of Kdam's solo cabins on threads about the ship. Some seem to have made up their minds early that these are terrible cabins, despite they are better than most ships offer for solo cruisers. Some apparently would like a Neptune Suite at a solo price.

Cruisemom42 explained it well :)

I think it is great that HAL is offering single cabins. And heck yes, a window :)

Edited by CowPrincess

Thanks for the photo. I could probably be OK with that size cabin with the window. From the deck plan, it looks like there's a lot of variation in size among the single cabins.

Roz

The amount of variation is impressive. I booked my forthcoming Single Outside cabin while aboard my RSVP charter last February, and we made our selections from blown-up deck plans. Would it surprise you that the singles were chosen in order from largest to smallest? That said, the smallest are 128 square feet. That is the typical size of an inside stateroom on many NCL ships. So for one person, that's a lot of room, I think. Even NCL's Studio staterooms are only 100 square feet, and that has always felt like enough room to me.

This is a typical problem on NCL, so I will be well prepared to sit at an angle. ;) Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

I remember the concern being more about location of the solo cabins, not that they were inadequate. But good slam!