Koningsdam single cabin comments

bobpell

Thanks for the picture! I think it looks great for a solo. I haven't sailed in that cabin, but when I priced it the cost was nearly as much as regular OV cabin. This was my experience for the one cruise I was shopping. I'm sure it can vary. I'd be happy in that cabin for a good price. Thanks for sharing.

OK, now I'm confused. I just priced OO cabins for the Jan. 15, 2017 Koningsdam sailing. Used 2 different TA websites (couldn't get HAL site to work :mad:), and the quotes came back at $2,340 and $2,940 :eek:. Keep in mind the OOs are only 133 sq. ft. Both websites quoted an E outside (192 sq. ft.) at $1,419 for 1 passenger. What gives? Pricing makes no sense to me.

Roz

Thanks for the picture! I think it looks great for a solo. I haven't sailed in that cabin, but when I priced it the cost was nearly as much as regular OV cabin. This was my experience for the one cruise I was shopping. I'm sure it can vary. I'd be happy in that cabin for a good price. Thanks for sharing.

OK, now I'm confused. I just priced OO cabins for the Jan. 15, 2017 Koningsdam sailing. Used 2 different TA websites (couldn't get HAL site to work :mad:), and the quotes came back at $2,340 and $2,940 :eek:. Keep in mind the OOs are only 133 sq. ft. Both websites quoted an E outside (192 sq. ft.) at $1,419 for 1 passenger. What gives? Pricing makes no sense to me.

Roz

To me, that "nearly the same" pricing makes no sense. I would think that they would want to encourage solos to book those cabins. If the cabins a true "solo" cabins, can they be offered as upsells if they remain unsold? Can they in fact be used as two-person cabins? If not, it seems silly to have unattractive pricing on them.

To me, that "nearly the same" pricing makes no sense. I would think that they would want to encourage solos to book those cabins. If the cabins a true "solo" cabins, can they be offered as upsells if they remain unsold? Can they in fact be used as two-person cabins? If not, it seems silly to have unattractive pricing on them.

I agree. I'm looking at Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2017 and the price for the single cabin is ridiculous compared to an inside guarantee. With an inside guarantee, you also have a chance to be upgraded to a obstructed outside room. This has happened to me each time I booked an inside guarantee. Why didn't HAL also include a few inside single rooms for those of us who cannot afford the outside singles. It's getting difficult to find reasonable pricing for solo travellers.:(

Roz

On the HAL site for that 7-day I see the OO's at $2199+141 taxes and fees, or $2340.

The E's nearby (1024, 1026) are $1790 (+141) for one person and $1119 (+141) pp with double occupancy.

So it looks like an E single is $400 less than an OO! High demand for the OO's I guess!

edit: on a price-tracking site that we can't name here, the E price was $1249 pp double from Dec 9 to Mar 9, then dropped $130 pp. That would have made the cabin total $2498, or $300 higher than the OO single, which makes sense. Looks like they dropped the E price but not the OO. The site does not give any prices or history for the OOs.

Book the E! :)

another edit: on the deck plans the E's look to be the same size as OO 1011 and 1018, so the 133 sq ft figure must be for the two forward-most, 1001 and 1002.

Edited by jtl513

Jtl,

Thanks for confirming the figures. I would never book an OO guarantee, because I wouldn't want those cabins at the very front that look really tiny. But the small cabins tend to be the ones available even if you're picking your cabin in the OO category.

Roz

Roz

The deck plan indicates Approximately 127–172 sq. ft.

Jtl,

Thanks for confirming the figures. I would never book an OO guarantee, because I wouldn't want those cabins at the very front that look really tiny. But the small cabins tend to be the ones available even if you're picking your cabin in the OO category.

Roz

There are only 12 OO cabins and they are all in the same location.

I was able to get one of the large 00's for considerably less than any E single 15 months in advance. E single soon went up $1000 more and stayed there when all 00 were sold out. Marketing 101 I guess.

I too was concerned about location but most entertainment venues are easily accessed and the extra walking for meals won't hurt! Stateroom designer said in a Countdown to K video that singles would be at various locations around the ship, so that must have been the original idea. Marketing 102?

Thanks everyone for sharing great pics and info.

Based on previous HAL cruises (compared with other lines), it has seemed to me that HAL has generally had some of the larger standard cabins in the industry.

Cabins for solo travelers are available on the small ship I prefer (Aegean Odyssey); these start at 130 square feet. I've been in one of these smaller rooms on a couple of voyages and it was fine for one person. Of course, if you like to spend a lot of time in your cabin, these smaller sizes wouldn't be ideal.

127-172 sq. ft. is huge difference in cabin size in one category. I was in a 125 sq. ft. cabin on the Noordam and it was awful.

Roz

I was in a 125 sq ft inside too on Noordam, horrible. Guess I didn't realize at time of booking. I think it was smaller than any small cabin I had on Ncl.

Carnival single cabins at bow are really roomy with full sofa but only have single bed, and pullman or single sofa bed but you can have 2 people. Two Portholes.

Edited by lettienets

This week HAL posted more stateroom photos to a popular social media site, and someone asked about OO pricing, specifically if the cabins "reflected single pricing." I posted my experience thus far: "I'm booked in a Single Outside on a charter at about 150%. But if you do some mock bookings, the prices of of these category OO staterooms generally exceed 200% of an interior. There aren't enough to meet demand, and I hope more are installed on Pinnacle II." HAL replied with: "Hello Carol and thanks for posting! The single guest staterooms category oo on the ms Koningsdam, as well as the category Q on ms Prisendam, are not subject to the "single supplement" fare. We hope you found this information useful. Happy cruising!

While I understand that the HAL response that there is no single supplement is accurate, most single sailors are expecting that a cabin priced for a single will cost less than a cabin priced for a double. Thus far, I cannot see when that will ever be the case unless HAL decides to build far more OO cabins in Pinnacle II.

I think that's a misleading statement on HAL's part. At some point I'll probably book a cruise on the Koningsdam, but I'm definitely going to comparison shop cabins.

Roz

I've been shopping around a lot. It seems that the more "automated" sites are coming up with higher fares for the "OO" cabins. I suspect that the sites are not equipped yet to find the correct (and lowest) fares for single travelers on this ship. I got a good price on the April 2017 crossing, and I had no qualms about making it a guarantee. I guess I'm a gambler--counting on a upgrade to a larger outside. Soon we'll know if that is happening with others booked in "OO".

Another picture of the rooms. This was on USA Today's cruise log and taken by Peter Knego

635977865719736742-105-koningsdamoceanviewsingle.JPG

Looks cozy. I'm eager to compare with an NCL Studio. Of course, the obvious HAL advantage is the picture window. I'm also sailing in a P&O forward-facing single outside stateroom on Aurora in December, so I will have to do a report on single-occupancy cabins, I guess.

Besides the fact that those NCL studios are only 100 sq. ft., they're only on the monster ships, and those ships can only go to the same old boring ports. Really, how often can you go to Cozumel before you're sick of it?

Roz

That was 1001 that we got the opportunity to view. I know the panorama can distort it a bit but the room was big enough to be functional but without excess space for aerobics and such ;) I stood right where the room opens up (so closets, bathroom door were behind me)

Bathroom was 100% identical to other rooms (interior, oceanview, balcony)

It is a single cabin, so I guess not much need for extra room for "and such" ;)

Besides the fact that those NCL studios are only 100 sq. ft., they're only on the monster ships, and those ships can only go to the same old boring ports. Really, how often can you go to Cozumel before you're sick of it?

Roz

+1

Not that Koningsdam is tiny, mind you. But I won't be sailing on the behemoths.

I for one spend little time in a cabin and usually choose a cabin on upper decks with quick access to the pool deck. My cabin on the Koningsdam is 0014 on the port side which HAL told me it is one of the largest in this category. I am assuming as you go forward the hull slopes in reducing the size of the cabin. As I am sailing NCL's Escape this weekend in a solo cabin it will be interesting to compare the Koningsdam solo in August. I had a solo on the Epic back in 2010 so I know it's a cozy fit, but the Koningsdam solo has a window....love the morning light. I booked my HAL trip to Norway as soon as the books were opened, and it was suggested I wait to see if the price would come down, glad I did not wait. I also booked my flights the day the flight schedules were posted @ 300 days out. Well folks, I checked pricing and wow, the cruise went up @ $1,000 and the air increased @$500......ouch. Booking early once again paid off. So my cruise addiction continues....Escape.5/2016, Koningsdam 8/2016, Jade 11/2016, Oosterdam 2/2017,Escape 5/2017, Meraviglia 9/2017, Spirit 1/2018,and then Seaside 5/2018.Next booking for Sept 2018 will probably be the Deliziosa out of Venice. Wish there were more single cabins retrofitted into existing ships. But when all is said and done, no complaining as just being able to take a cruise is a luxury when you look at lives and living conditions around the world.

RMS...interesting mix of cruises and ships. I say go for it! Are you retired? I'll be interesting in hearing your perspective after you sail the Koningsdam. Having grown up in a lower middle class family, the thought never occurred to me that one day I'd be able to take what to me are luxurious trips. So I understand where you're coming from.

Roz