Voom Surf? or Surf+Stream?

Does any one know there difference in speed between the surf and the stream wifi? I don't stream but would like to use the whats app phone feature. I know that the previous zoom offerings on the new ships this was possible but with the new speed tiers i am wondering. Thanks

Didn't see the +stream when I booked this am. I just want to be able to text back home (whatsapp or similar), Facetime, use Facebook and Instagram and of course CC ;). Do I need the stream option?

Thanks!

You would need the stream option for Facetime.

Hi.If I brought the package today would the money come out of my account now or when we cruise?We get $30 off a package as well would it be best to buy the package now with the 30% off or wait till we board.Thank you.

Anything you purchase pre-cruise is immediately charged to your credit card.

I didn't realize there were different internet options available. I just logged onto our booking's Cruise Planner, and they're currently offering one at 30% off that was "Voom, surf and post pictures," or something similar. It didn't mention streaming, and there was no other more expensive option available for streaming.

Am I missing something?

I didn't realize there were different internet options available. I just logged onto our booking's Cruise Planner, and they're currently offering one at 30% off that was "Voom, surf and post pictures," or something similar. It didn't mention streaming, and there was no other more expensive option available for streaming.

Am I missing something?

If you go into the Cruise Planner where that 30% offer is shown and click on the "Internet" drop down menu all of the packages should be there - one set with Stream (higher speeds/cost to support video streaming) and a more basic one for email/Internet/photos/etc. All of them are on sale at 30% off ship prices as part of the roll-out promotion.

Edited by Durkman

This appears to be a new tiered approach to the Voom access. Looks like they'll now have speed tiers, but no mentioned yet what the avg speed is for the 2 tiers.

I wonder if they're seeing bandwidth problems on the ships currently offering Voom?

I also notice in my cruise planner that they are no longer offering the talk/text plan which was something like $15 per device for the entire cruise.

I hope this isn't $$$ grab from RC, where folks would have to now select the $10 per day surf plan in place of the previous talk/text option?

Has anyone bought and noticed pricing a little different than showing when finally pay? For instance, one device for 9.99 per day comes to 45.45 in cart for 5 day, and the one w streaming is supposed to be 12.99/day but cart shows $2 less than that for 5 night (62.95 vs 64.94).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you go into the Cruise Planner where that 30% offer is shown and click on the "Internet" drop down menu all of the packages should be there - one set with Stream (higher speeds/cost to support video streaming) and a more basic one for email/Internet/photos/etc. All of them are on sale at 30% off ship prices as part of the roll-out promotion.

I actually clicked to put it in my cart, but didn't go any further than that.

The reason I'm curious is we'll be in a GS on Harmony with internet included. I'm guessing that will be the lower one, and of course, my geek husband will probably want to be able to stream, so it will probably wind up costing us something after all.

Details of "new" internet package for ships with VOOM.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6974

Royal Caribbean has switched from a "one size fits all" Internet plan to two different options on all ships with high-speed Voom Internet.

The cruise line is offering one plan for those who want to use basic web functions, and a second for passengers who want to stream music and video, or use real-time communication services like FaceTime and Skype.

Voom Surf Voyage enables passengers to do unlimited basic web browsing, email and social media. As part of a roll-out promotion, when pre-purchased the cost for Voom Surf Voyage is: $9.99 per day (one device); $16.99 per day (two devices); $23.99 per day (three devices); $27.99 per day (four devices); and $31.99 per day (five devices).

Voom Surf + Stream offers all the same access as Voom Surf Voyage but includes the ability to stream movies and music, as well as use video chat, texting and VoIP apps. Promotional pricing for Voom Surf + Stream, when purchased ahead of your cruise, is: $12.99 per day (one device); $22.99 per day (two devices); $31.99 per day (three devices); $39.99 per day (four devices); and $41.99 per day (five devices).

Ships with Voom include Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas.

Has anyone bought and noticed pricing a little different than showing when finally pay? For instance, one device for 9.99 per day comes to 45.45 in cart for 5 day, and the one w streaming is supposed to be 12.99/day but cart shows $2 less than that for 5 night (62.95 vs 64.94).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes but at first I just assumed it was a little more due to tax or something. Didn't really think about it. I purchased the regular (non-streaming) 2-device plan at $16.99 per day for a 7-night cruise, which I guess should have been $118.93. The total was instead $117.53 (less). Weird, but cool -- now I have to figure out what to do with my $1.40 windfall! :)

Edited by Durkman

Details of "new" internet package for ships with VOOM.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6974

Royal Caribbean has switched from a "one size fits all" Internet plan to two different options on all ships with high-speed Voom Internet.

The cruise line is offering one plan for those who want to use basic web functions, and a second for passengers who want to stream music and video, or use real-time communication services like FaceTime and Skype.

Voom Surf Voyage enables passengers to do unlimited basic web browsing, email and social media. As part of a roll-out promotion, when pre-purchased the cost for Voom Surf Voyage is: $9.99 per day (one device); $16.99 per day (two devices); $23.99 per day (three devices); $27.99 per day (four devices); and $31.99 per day (five devices).

Voom Surf + Stream offers all the same access as Voom Surf Voyage but includes the ability to stream movies and music, as well as use video chat, texting and VoIP apps. Promotional pricing for Voom Surf + Stream, when purchased ahead of your cruise, is: $12.99 per day (one device); $22.99 per day (two devices); $31.99 per day (three devices); $39.99 per day (four devices); and $41.99 per day (five devices).

Ships with Voom include Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas.

I don't mean to be dense but............With the surf 9.99 plan can I text home with "whatsapp"

I saw previously in the thread how applications like what's App can be used by those in the lower teir of data speed (whatever that is). I assume this would be true for the texting and sending pictures. My question is that in order to use the phone call feature on the app would I have upgrade to the streaming feature ( I assume I would)?

I saw previously in the thread how applications like what's App can be used by those in the lower teir of data speed (whatever that is). I assume this would be true for the texting and sending pictures. My question is that in order to use the phone call feature on the app would I have upgrade to the streaming feature ( I assume I would)?

I guess we won't know for sure until we get reports back from a ship with the two-tier internet speed, but I would not be surprised if the lower speed service would be able to handle the bandwidth for voice calls.

Just called Customer Services, they said by May 8th sailing VOOM will be available on the Liberty??? I was on hold for awhile, and he said he checked with several departments to confirm...should I buy it now to take advantage of the discount?

So, my question is: Do you register a certain device or does it mean One device can be connected at a time?

I have my tablet and my phone. I don't usually carry my phone around during the day when at the pool, but I do take my tablet. I may take phone with me in the evenings as it is smaller than tablet and fits in my pocket or purse. So I may have some pics on each device and would like to be able to post from either device.