VOOM! Internet - is it worth the cost?

So on my upcoming Anthem cruise in January they are offering 30% off. So I can get purchase for $8.99 a day. I assume that's a good price?

Has anyone seen it lower than $8.99 a day.

Thank you.

That's a pretty good rate. Last week on Oasis if you wanted to buy it in 24 hour segments it was $19.99 for Surf and $27.99 for Surf and Stream.

For a length-of-cruise package it was $12.99 per day for Surf and $17.99 per day for Surf and Stream.

Just double checking--- to use VOOM with your smart phone---- you put it on Airplane mode, and then turn on WiFi and the WiFi calls option... then --?? its possible to text and call your travel mate on the ship AND call home, or wherever--- for NO extra charges from your cell phone company?

Yes. Try this at home first.

So on my upcoming Anthem cruise in January they are offering 30% off. So I can get purchase for $8.99 a day. I assume that's a good price?

Has anyone seen it lower than $8.99 a day.

Thank you.

The best I've seen is $9.99 so I think that's a good deal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just double checking--- to use VOOM with your smart phone---- you put it on Airplane mode, and then turn on WiFi and the WiFi calls option... then --?? its possible to text and call your travel mate on the ship AND call home, or wherever--- for NO extra charges from your cell phone company?????

THANKS!

Just a heads up. My wife has an iPhone and I have a Droid. We cannot text each other through WIFI unless we use Google Hangouts (free app). I normally use Message+ on my Droid and can text Droid to Droid with no problem. Hangouts also has separate dialer app that allows you to make WIFI calls. If you do some more research you'll find there are other apps that do the same for no extra charge.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

Just a heads up. My wife has an iPhone and I have a Droid. We cannot text each other through WIFI unless we use Google Hangouts (free app). I normally use Message+ on my Droid and can text Droid to Droid with no problem. Hangouts also has separate dialer app the allows you to make WIFI calls. If you do some more research you'll find there are other apps that do the same for no extra charge.

Skype is also your friend.

You can text each other if you want.

Call each other if you want.

Video call each other if you want.

I'll be taking two classes when I'm on the cruise, and might need to login and check in a few times during the week. So with the regular VOOM surf internet I should be able to go online and log in to my class website? As long as I'm not trying to stream video, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So if you do post your Speedtest here - Let us know your location, time of day, what ship, is it full or empty. Giving us as much data as we can get to see what work and when. Its really hard to know how good a network is when you just logged in once and got a slow connection and gave up and say it sucks. Thats just not helpful at all.

-Sean

Here are all my speedtest results from our August Freedom cruise. left-click on a map icon to see the results. Ping, download, upload. This was the Surf + Stream package.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1_emBH29ux0O9p3FXsbyf0fXiHrs

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

Here are all my speedtest results from our August Freedom cruise. left-click on a map icon to see the results. Ping, download, upload. This was the Surf + Stream package.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1_emBH29ux0O9p3FXsbyf0fXiHrs

mac_tlc

That's awesome.

It looks pretty consistent with what speeds should be on the O3B satellite network.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

I'll be taking two classes when I'm on the cruise, and might need to login and check in a few times during the week. So with the regular VOOM surf internet I should be able to go online and log in to my class website? As long as I'm not trying to stream video, correct?

Yes, though be prepared for sluggish performance.

It looks pretty consistent with what speeds should be on the O3B satellite network.

Not really. The ping and uploads may be similar to other O3B equipped ships, but download speed has been reported up to 25 MBs on a ship like Ovation, whereas Freedom seems to be stuck to about 7.

Not really. The ping and uploads may be similar to other O3B equipped ships, but download speed has been reported up to 25 MBs on a ship like Ovation, whereas Freedom seems to be stuck to about 7.

Now on the Brilliance TA, docked in Gibraltar:

Download: 0.41 Mbps

Upload: 0.31 Mbps

Ping: 635 ms

This is Surf & Stream. Been pretty slow like this since leaving Barcelona 3 days ago.

Biker -

Because of the pretty consistent data rates it appears that the bandwidth is capped at that rate for the end user.

That just shows that they have network management in place.

-Sean

Now on the Brilliance TA, docked in Gibraltar:

Download: 0.41 Mbps

Upload: 0.31 Mbps

Ping: 635 ms

This is Surf & Stream. Been pretty slow like this since leaving Barcelona 3 days ago.

Kinda slow Bob.

I'm wondering if the same experience will be found on the Oasis class ships that have not only the newest equipment but are also designed to support more people aboard those ships.

I have VOOM w/STREAM reserved on Harmony next year.

I'm wondering if the same experience will be found on the Oasis class ships that have not only the newest equipment but are also designed to support more people aboard those ships.

I have VOOM w/STREAM reserved on Harmony next year.

Totally different setup and should have much better experience with WiFi.