Skeptical About Grand Princess

Georgia_Peaches

Hi All,

I'm sailing with my husband in 2017 to Alaska to celebrate the big 5-0. We are booked in the Grand Suite 301 on the Grand Princess. The reviews are only fair and I'm wondering if we will be disappointed. We usually sail Celebrity but they didn't have a 10 day itinerary to Alaska. My questions are, have you sailed the Grand Princess and would you recommend it to a friend? There are 2 dry docks scheduled between now and our voyage? Does anyone know what these refurbishments entail? Thanks in advance!

Christina

I'm 50 and have sailed Grand to Alaska in recent years and loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to book the 10 night out of San Francisco again. It's wonderful. I sailed her in Europe in 2008 and loved her then as well.

Sailing out of San Francisco is really scenic and I greatly enjoyed it. Love the full day in Victoria. I was on the Lido deck (bow area) and we had a rough first night with lots of banging (which turned out to be the anchor). The rest of the trip was fine. So if it's rough leaving San Francisco don't be surprised.

I think you'll have a great time- lots to do- good food- very pretty vessel.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

The extra days are due to the ship being in SFO and having to get to Alaska, it doesn't give you more time in Alaska.

You may be better off doing a 7 night and spending more time in Seattle, Vancouver or Alaska if you want a longer vacation.

HAL does a 14 night Alaska trip if interested. Or, some of us doing a B2B from Vancouver to Whittier and then back to Vancouver - double the ports! I would rather do that then the seas days from SFO to Alaska/Canada.

I personally have no reservations about sailing on the Grand.

Edited by Coral

I was on the Grand last November for a 7-day California Coastal cruise, and I enjoyed myself so much, that I sailed on her again for a 10-day Mexico cruise this past January.

I liked the art decco feel of the One Five lounge. Yes, she's not the newest ship in the fleet, but my DH and I enjoyed her.

We have sailed on the Grand and in the suite you mentioned. That trip was a California Coastal cruise out of Vancouver. The weather was a little rough and my wife got to experience her first and only case of sea sickness. That suite is not in the best location as far as a smooth ride goes. If you are prone to sea sickness, you might want to switch to a suite on a lower deck in the middle of the ship.

There are 2 dry docks scheduled between now and our voyage? Does anyone know what these refurbishments entail?

It would be highly unusual for a ship to dry dock twice in 18 months. If you think it's going to dry dock because when you go to book it asks you when you are sailing and gives multiple date selections they are more than likely changing stateroom categories around and not going into a dry dock.

Edited by Steelers0854

There's only one dry dock scheduled for the Grand and that'll be in December. Strictly routine. All ships are dry docked for maintenance every 2-3 years. They'll scrape and paint the hull, clean the thrusters, check and maintain the engines, update electronics, deep clean cabins and public areas, etc. It's like taking your car in for a tune-up and detailing. Maintenance is done constantly while passengers are onboard. Dry dock is for maintenance that can't be done with passengers onboard.

Well the fact that you will have one of the only private hot tubs in the whole fleet is awesome!! We sailed on the Grand last summer, and though she's older, the experience really wasn't less than that of what I would expect from Princess. Go and celebrate and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We sailed two years ago on a 7 day to Alaska and back. We found the ship in great shape. Just as pretty and clean as all the others in my eyes. Whatever cruise you choose aboard that ship, I'm sure you too will enjoy!

We have been on the Grand to Alaska, are scheduled to sail on her again soon, and also love Celebrity. We've also been on Celebrity to Alaska. Not sure which Celebrity ships you are accustomed too, but if you are used to Solstice class you might be very disappointed in the Grand. There really isn't much of a comparison. If you are sailing for itinerary only, then you will not be disappointed. If entertainment is an important component of your cruise, then the Grand wins hands down. If eating at the buffet is an important part of your cruised experience, then the Solstice wins. If you are used to having a suite on X then the suites on Princess are not comparable. Just keeping it real here. We've sailed on Princess 16 times and on X 3 times. I much prefer the beautiful decor of X's ships, including the Millennium class. However, Princess has the market in Alaska and always has really good lecturers and activities planned. Princess has much more in the way of activities, especially since two years ago when X cut their entertainment staff from 6 down to 2. We have gone back and forth between Princess and X and have had all forms of accommodations. There are things we like about both. The Millennium class are more comparable to the Grand class. solstice class in a class all its own! Truthfully, if it were me, I would feel a little disappointed initially, upon entering the Grand if I were used to X, but the itinerary and the entertainment would more than make up for the lack of bells and whistles on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since you sail with X mostly I'm not sure if you book suites on X as well but if you do you will be highly disappointed with the suite perks on Princess vs X. No butler, no private dining room, no free drinks package and all the other perks X gives to suite pax..... If I were you I would just do what we re doing in a few weeks...B2B on Solstice out of Seattle so we cruise for 2 weeks and that's even better than 10 days!

Since you sail with X mostly I'm not sure if you book suites on X as well but if you do you will be highly disappointed with the suite perks on Princess vs X. No butler, no private dining room, no free drinks package and all the other perks X gives to suite pax..... If I were you I would just do what we re doing in a few weeks...B2B on Solstice out of Seattle so we cruise for 2 weeks and that's even better than 10 days!

Sheriff Joe, OP would get a free bar setup on Princess which would include 8 bottles of booze of her choosing, as well as tonic, sodas, beer, ET cet, and she could swap it out for whatever she wished

Respectfully, we feet that the drinks were just watered down on X unless we went to the martini bar where they WOULD make us a real drink. We must have been writing our earlier responses at the same time. One of our best cruises was to Alaska on the Infinity! We love the Scandinavian-type decor of the X ships.

Regarding suite dining on Princess, OP's can order anything they want in their suite and simply choose to dine there. Not sure if X even has butlers anymore.

Oh, one other thing, OP, you might not get butter in the MDR if you sail on Princess, without asking for it?

And if you are accustomed to AQ on X you will definitely be let down with the Princess experience. In fact, last week on the Regal my husband and I kept joking about how we wished we were at BLU for breakfast being served versus having to tough it out at the buffet and serve ourselves [emoji79]

Edited by 4cats4me

I disagree about being disappointed on Grand in comparison to Celebrity. I do like the Millenium Class ships but I think the Grand measures up to them in most areas- except for the buffet. Besides the buffet on Solstice- I really didn't prefer that ship to any of the Princess ships or the Millenium class Celebrity ships. People kept raving about Equinox when I first sailed her in 2009 and I really wasn't impressed. I feel that the Solstice ships are a bit too modern for my taste.

Pools and hot tubs on Grand are excellent and better than on any Celebrity ships.

Food is subjective, but I prefer the food on Princess.

The cabin layout and beds are better on Grand than on Celebrity. The closets on Princess are the best.

Entertainment, trivia and games were better on Princess.

I have become a Princess convert and was once a diehard Celebrity fan, but they've reduced the cruise price to attract customers and then they try to upsell all the time while onboard. They are either trying to sell the specialty restaurants or turn the pool into a turkish market on sea days. I got turned off. Not to mention that nearly everything in the daily program seemed to be about selling more items and services instead of fun and games (free stuff).

There's only one dry dock scheduled for the Grand and that'll be in December. Strictly routine. All ships are dry docked for maintenance every 2-3 years. They'll scrape and paint the hull, clean the thrusters, check and maintain the engines, update electronics, deep clean cabins and public areas, etc. It's like taking your car in for a tune-up and detailing. Maintenance is done constantly while passengers are onboard. Dry dock is for maintenance that can't be done with passengers onboard.

When is the Grand scheduled in Dec Pam? I'm sailing on her on Dec 20-30. Will be quite a bit different Mexico trip than last Dec on the Pacific. Sure hard to top that one. :)

Sheriff Joe, OP would get a free bar setup on Princess which would include 8 bottles of booze of her choosing, as well as tonic, sodas, beer, ET cet, and she could swap it out for whatever she wished

Respectfully, we feet that the drinks were just watered down on X unless we went to the martini bar where they WOULD make us a real drink. We must have been writing our earlier responses at the same time. One of our best cruises was to Alaska on the Infinity! We love the Scandinavian-type decor of the X ships.

Regarding suite dining on Princess, OP's can order anything they want in their suite and simply choose to dine there. Not sure if X even has butlers anymore.

Oh, one other thing, OP, you might not get butter in the MDR if you sail on Princess, without asking for it?

And if you are accustomed to AQ on X you will definitely be let down with the Princess experience. In fact, last week on the Regal my husband and I kept joking about how we wished we were at BLU for breakfast being served versus having to tough it out at the buffet and serve ourselves [emoji79]

Cats....yes X still has butlers for all suites, even the small Sky suites and a bar set up on Princess in no way compares to a free Premium drink package on X, can you say Domaine Chandon mimosa's every morning in the MDR for breakfast! LOL....as you know ANY cabin, even insides can order full MDR menu items on X not just suites as on Princess....not to mention the OBC X is giving on suites right now is excellent as well....my bottom line is if I am paying suite cabin prices then X wins hands down, not even a question....

Edited by SheriffJoe

On the Grand all suite guests have breakfast in Sabatini's. Great service, mimosas, with an open menu--anything you chose.

On the Grand all suite guests have breakfast in Sabatini's. Great service, mimosas, with an open menu--anything you chose.

Forgot about this even though we've been in a suite twice, but at that time breakfasts in sabatini's weren't a part of the package.

Will sabatini's remain on the Grand though? I thought that Share would be replacing Sabatini's on some or all Princess ships?

sheriff Joe: yes, X is offering a lot of perks these days, haven't done s suite price comparison but I have priced AQ and we have been priced out of X's cruising market for the last two years since X has gone the all-inclusive route. Same cruise now is 35-40% more than what we paid in 2013/2014 since X includes their "free" drinks and OBC packages. I'd rather have a rock bottom price and pay for my own drinks as I go along since we can't get the benefit of a daily drink package, whether it be coffees booze, whatever.

We can't wait to go on X again, but as long as Princess prices are cheaper we will continue to sail with them for now even though we divorced them for 3 or 4 years once before

Forgot about this even though we've been in a suite twice, but at that time breakfasts in sabatini's weren't a part of the package.

Will sabatini's remain on the Grand though? I thought that Share would be replacing Sabatini's on some or all Princess ships?

sheriff Joe: yes, X is offering a lot of perks these days, haven't done s suite price comparison but I have priced AQ and we have been priced out of X's cruising market for the last two years since X has gone the all-inclusive route. Same cruise now is 35-40% more than what we paid in 2013/2014 since X includes their "free" drinks and OBC packages. I'd rather have a rock bottom price and pay for my own drinks as I go along since we can't get the benefit of a daily drink package, whether it be coffees booze, whatever.

We can't wait to go on X again, but as long as Princess prices are cheaper we will continue to sail with them for now even though we divorced them for 3 or 4 years once before

Cats...its all about the research and the deals....10 days on Grand to Alaska in a basic Princess balcony cabin runs about $2200 for 10 days give or take $200 depending on dates with $350 OBC and free gratuity....I paid $3200 for 14 days on Solstice to Alaska in a Concierge balcony with free drink package for 2, free gratuity and $1100 in OBC...game set MATCH for X, not even close...edit, prices are pp for both lines

Edited by SheriffJoe

Cats...its all about the research and the deals....10 days on Grand to Alaska in a basic Princess balcony cabin runs about $2200 for 10 days give or take $200 depending on dates with $350 OBC and free gratuity....I paid $3200 for 14 days on Solstice to Alaska in a Concierge balcony with free drink package for 2, free gratuity and $1100 in OBC...game set MATCH for X, not even close...edit, prices are pp for both lines

I paid $499 pp for inside cabin (around $700 including taxes) for one week for Alaska on the grand in 2014. My limit for Alaska is $800 pp including taxes, port charges, for Alaska, and I'm talking peak season, June, July, August

But you did get a smoking deal for sure, especially for Alaska!

I paid $499 pp for inside cabin (around $700 including taxes) for one week for Alaska on the grand in 2014. My limit for Alaska is $800 pp including taxes, port charges, for Alaska, and I'm talking peak season, June, July, August

But you did get a smoking deal for sure, especially for Alaska!

You KNOW insides are beneath me! :eek: LMAO

just off the grand last week. 6th cruise on it. It's find, great food, great service. Don't know.who wrote the fair or bad reviews.guaranteed they are chronic complainers. You have nothing to worry about. I'm going back on in Sept.