I'm so over Bistro on Five

Cruising Princess

Disagree, if it was wasted space they wouldn't have put it on all five ships.

Have to agree with CPJ, no one is ever in the alcoves, that lawn is a huge waste of space, there should be a pool in the middle and have more of a private resort atmosphere, im not going to pay $100 for 4 hours to sit next to grass at sea.

Trust me, they know its a failure it will not be on any Edge ships.

We sailed on the Constellation, Departing from Ft Lauderdale on April 2 and arriving in Civitivecchia on April 15. Over the 13 days we never observed more than one or two couples in Bistro on 5. Perhaps it's time for Celebrity to rethink this venue, maybe replace it with a brewpub, an ice cream parlor or some other dining spot. Maybe without an extra fee.

Have to agree with CPJ, no one is ever in the alcoves, that lawn is a huge waste of space, there should be a pool in the middle and have more of a private resort atmosphere, im not going to pay $100 for 4 hours to sit next to grass at sea.

Whether it's on the new ships does not make it a failure, the alcoves are not the only thing up there. As I said earlier, if it was a failure they would have eliminated it after the first couple of ships.

Perhaps it's time for Celebrity to rethink this venue, maybe replace it with a brewpub, an ice cream parlor or some other dining spot. Maybe without an extra fee.

Personally DH and I feel they should undo the giant mistake they made when they Solsticized the M Class ships and put the martini bar back in this area. It was much nicer place. Bistro on 5 and the Wine Bar are always empty, the martini bar is crowded and most nights before dinner you can't even get a seat at or near the bar.

Loved, loved the M Class ships when they came out. Too bad they had to ruin them.

Why would you consider the lawns a failure?

When we were on the Reflection (Greece cruise), the lawn was roped off for the entire cruise. It wasn't very appealing either and definitely wasted space!

$10 for lunch? Wouldn't you pay that, plus more, to go to any crepe restaurant on land? With the price of a Big Mac meal approaching $7-8 I don't think that $10 is out of line. Now the poor service issue is another matter. I ate there when it was $5 & $7,and I'm sure that

Whether it's on the new ships does not make it a failure, the alcoves are not the only thing up there. As I said earlier, if it was a failure they would have eliminated it after the first couple of ships.

What else is up there? excluding the lawn club restaurant which you are not on the lawn for or the glass show on some ships.

defend it all you want but not even 1% of the ship is ever on the lawn itself, given some major drydocks in the future it will be revampped into something else.

What else is up there? excluding the lawn club restaurant which you are not on the lawn for or the glass show on some ships.

defend it all you want but not even 1% of the ship is ever on the lawn itself, given some major drydocks in the future it will be revampped into something else.

You're missing the point, I'm not defending it, just saying that using the word failure is a bit too much. That's all I said and the fact that it may or may not be on the new ships does not make it a failure. Personally, I think that area and other areas are going to wind up being a suite only area on the new ships.

Edited by dkjretired

We sailed on the Constellation, Departing from Ft Lauderdale on April 2 and arriving in Civitivecchia on April 15. Over the 13 days we never observed more than one or two couples in Bistro on 5. Perhaps it's time for Celebrity to rethink this venue, maybe replace it with a brewpub, an ice cream parlor or some other dining spot. Maybe without an extra fee.

I cannot even imagine the value of turning it into a non fee area. But from my observations The Bistro on 5 has always been an underutilized area. Perhaps a rotating for fee area would work better. On Royal Princess they used the same section of the buffet area for a fee based fondue or seafood (crab legs) restaurant on some nights. Perhaps crepes one night, Sushi another, crab legs another, fondue, etc.

Cruislines are a copycat business. Have you seen anyone copied the lawn concept. With all the new ships that have come out in the last 5 years. Example NCL waterfront concept will be copied because it's a great idea. Believe me there competion laughs at them when it comes to lawn, especially since it always resting. Never saw such a stupid idea. I will gaurentee you you will not see lawn on any of there new edge concept and soon they will follow the Bistro on 5 they will get rid of them. It's only a matter of time and they will be gone also. Nothing but wasted space.

Love, love, love the lawn:) I'ts peaceful and quiet, so nice compared to the jammed, noisy pool deck. Love the music in the evening on the lawn and it is convenient to the wonderful Sunset Bar:D. I just wish the M Class had them.

I can't comment on Bon5 as we have never eaten there (none of the menu's were enticing) but I am hoping the sushi will be available on the Silhouette in Oct!

Last month we were on the Equinox. Ate at Bistro on Five 5 - 6 times for lunch. We found the food good - slower than normal on the first day - but the rest of the time it was fine. We liked the menu - and they had a special of the day - one of which was their mac and cheese on one of those days. The issue I find is everyone complains about it - but then in the next sentence state they only eat there on the day they are starting their cruise. How does anyone expect a restaurant to thrive if everyone only goes one day out of the cruise? Also we inquired whether the menu would be changing to sushi and were told they were unsure when but their understanding was it will be on a "trial" basis.

Regarding the lawn - everyone has their own taste - I love it. Something different on Celebrity that you don't see on other ships. We have attended wine and cheese parties on the lawn on some of our cruises - and have certainly seen people sitting out on it from time to time.

Update:

Bistro has been empty day and night. Never see more than 2 or 3 tables being used.

The service was horrible when we sat on Day 2 but found out later it was because the waiter is actually a "waiter in training". This is where they start before being allowed in the dining room as assistant.

The Manager in Bistro told us the Summit is changing to Sushi in November. So guess I'll be able to see it empty again on our October sailing.

I cannot even imagine the value of turning it into a non fee area. But from my observations The Bistro on 5 has always been an underutilized area. Perhaps a rotating for fee area would work better. On Royal Princess they used the same section of the buffet area for a fee based fondue or seafood (crab legs) restaurant on some nights. Perhaps crepes one night, Sushi another, crab legs another, fondue, etc.

One of the better ideas I have heard in awhile. Targets a larger crowd and if you know its only for one day/night for eg sushi ...you will be going. For your eg I would be going every day. Great choices!:)

Interesting - they are only on Silhouette and Reflection. My experience this last winter was that the Alcoves were sold out on all sea days all three weeks we sailed on Silhouette. This was especially true on the holiday cruise, but was even true in February when we were there for two weeks.

We really enjoyed having a place without the music of the pool, where we could have an awning and a waiter at the lift of a phone.

We booked the week before Christmas to spend with the entire family in December 2017 on Silhouette specifically because we decided we would book an alcove for the week. No need for a veranda!

Interesting - they are only on Silhouette and Reflection. My experience this last winter was that the Alcoves were sold out on all sea days all three weeks we sailed on Silhouette. This was especially true on the holiday cruise, but was even true in February when we were there for two weeks.

We really enjoyed having a place without the music of the pool, where we could have an awning and a waiter at the lift of a phone.

We booked the week before Christmas to spend with the entire family in December 2017 on Silhouette specifically because we decided we would book an alcove for the week. No need for a veranda!

We tried booking The Alcoves on Silhouette, but it was booked solid in February 2016.

Upon boarding, asked if there were any cancellations and was told none at that time, so just dropped the idea. But found that while they were booked, often times there were only three or four (3/4) of them in use at any time.

Then remembered that one books for the whole day, that does not mean they will be there the whole day.... especially port days. Another sailing possibly.. they are quite nice, relaxing, and quiet too....

bon voyage

Love, love, love the lawn:) I'ts peaceful and quiet, so nice compared to the jammed, noisy pool deck. Love the music in the evening on the lawn and it is convenient to the wonderful Sunset Bar:D. I just wish the M Class had them.

I can't comment on Bon5 as we have never eaten there (none of the menu's were enticing) but I am hoping the sushi will be available on the Silhouette in Oct!

Christine, I agree about the lawn. I will add to the comments provided by Bo and Algebra. During our March 2015 Caribbean sailing I booked an Alcove one sea day (always the first days to get booked) and thought that I would wait to decide on the second. A week later that second sea day was gone. At least three months prior to our January Reflection sailing this year all of the sea days were booked well over three months in advance, I booked two days during that trip. For our August Mediterranean sailing all sea days are again booked, I booked two Alcove days for this trip. If you are in an Alcove you notice the people filtering in/out of their space during the day.

Other advantages of the lawn, it's a high traffic photo op for first time S-Class cruisers at the big chairs, people and kids love the hammocks, it is also a nice location for evening entertainment or private events. I agree with the other poster who mentioned that they might turn it into a suite pool or other private area. My opinion, they are only going to replace it with something that generates more money/value for the line.

Dined there for lunch the day we boarded Equinox Jan 2016.

Slow service awful food. I opened my crepe .. The meat was technicolor. I did not eat it. The manager was supposed to call to talk to me about it. Several days later we connected. She apologized and Said she put a credit for $20 on our account. I said my husband enjoyed his meal. Well not completely enjoyed it was passable. Next day I looked at our account she charged us for hubbys meal. Oh well.

Edited by Nana4x

If people stop USING the "specialty" places...they will get rid of them.

Who said anything about getting rid of specialty restaurants? Did I miss something? I had one of the best meals (dover sole prepared at the table) of my life at Murano on Equinox. Yes, it was a little pricey, but for a one-time splurge it was incredible and well worth it IMO. Dh and I enjoy the specialty rests. 90plus % of the time. We don't throw money around without any thought, but it is vacation and it was always my understanding that you are supposed to enjoy yourself on vacation. :D

We were on the Eclipse April 3 sailing and enjoyed 3 meals at Bistro on 5. The food was great and we had no problem at all with the service. Am crazy about their Portabello Mushroom Burger with goat cheese! We are taking the same cruise next year and want no part of Bistro if it is a sushi bar.

As the the lawn, we thought it was unique and such a great touch on a cruise ship. It was quiet and peaceful, and we spent many evenings there. The Sunset Bar was one of our favorites.

My husband and I are currently on the Summit. We went to Bistro for lunch today (day 2 of cruise), sat down, ordered drinks, then looked at the menu. To our shock and surprise it's different than the last few sailings we've been on. No more French Onion Soup, hamburger or lamb chops. Instead it had sandwiches and crepes similar to the original menu that everyone complained about. To boot, we had poor service and my entree was terrible.

I have been a huge fan of Bistro on Five, and very vocal that I don't want it switched to sushi....but after today's experience I've given up fighting the cause.

HI Princess. Be careful. I reviewed my last Summit cruise and gave my opinion on MY experiences and got some heat because some people didn't have the same observation I had. :D. Everyones expectations are different. Unfortunately mine were a bit higher than what was reality. Liked your honesty. ;)

Jeff

Who said anything about getting rid of specialty restaurants? Did I miss something? I had one of the best meals (dover sole prepared at the table) of my life at Murano on Equinox. Yes, it was a little pricey, but for a one-time splurge it was incredible and well worth it IMO. Dh and I enjoy the specialty rests. 90plus % of the time. We don't throw money around without any thought, but it is vacation and it was always my understanding that you are supposed to enjoy yourself on vacation. :D

Murano (Olympic) is currently being replaced on Millennium with Tuscan while the ship is in drydock.

Yes I am over the Bistro also. I was on the Constellation TA last month and what a disappointment. So much changed since my last TA on the Silhouette last November. No more French Onion soup, croque madame (my fave), the great burger, daily specials etc etc. 5 times there last cruise, once this one. Next one? If same menu, not once. Sushi on 5? Never. I have seen the prices on the ship's they are testing it.