Tipping for luggage drop off

This thread makes me so sad. Never once in all our cruises has a porter stood there with his hand open, threatened us, or outright asked for a tip. Every one of them we have dealt with has been pleasant and usually returns a smile to us when we smile first and thank them for their help.

I'm sure it happens... but I have to say that a lot of the time, people pick up on your attitude, and give it right back to you (good and bad).

This has been my experience also. And now that I have the porters write out the tags to put on our luggage I feel I'm getting some service for the tip that I give them.

This has been my experience also. And now that I have the porters write out the tags to put on our luggage I feel I'm getting some service for the tip that I give them.

However, many of us use the printed luggage tags, carefully attached, so the only thing the porters are doing is checking that luggage tag to see it is correct, and putting the luggage on the correct rack for sorting/delivery.

This thread makes me so sad. Never once in all our cruises has a porter stood there with his hand open, threatened us, or outright asked for a tip. Every one of them we have dealt with has been pleasant and usually returns a smile to us when we smile first and thank them for their help.

I'm sure it happens... but I have to say that a lot of the time, people pick up on your attitude, and give it right back to you (good and bad).

The only place we have had it happen is at Cape Liberty, and more than once.

However, many of us use the printed luggage tags, carefully attached, so the only thing the porters are doing is checking that luggage tag to see it is correct, and putting the luggage on the correct rack for sorting/delivery.

I stated why I don't mind tipping them. If you don't use that service then decide for yourself what you are going to do.

What is the typical protocol for Barcelona? I know that typically there is not the same tipping culture as in the US (and have been assured that with tours while they won't refuse a tip larger than about 10% you'll likely be laughed at as a sucker after you've left the guide behind), but want to have a clue what is expected at the port. (Probably using a car arranged by the same company I'm doing my touring with (no, not BDT), and they're (the tour company, not the car) offering guidance there.)

What is the typical protocol for Barcelona? I know that typically there is not the same tipping culture as in the US (and have been assured that with tours while they won't refuse a tip larger than about 10% you'll likely be laughed at as a sucker after you've left the guide behind), but want to have a clue what is expected at the port. (Probably using a car arranged by the same company I'm doing my touring with (no, not BDT), and they're (the tour company, not the car) offering guidance there.)

I don't know what the "typical" protocol is at Barcelona, but the porters there have not seemed insulted or surprised when we give them a tip.

At Barcelona, they'll take your money if you offer it (obviously!), but there's no requirement or expectation of a tip. From my experience of going through the port I haven't seen any difference in the way they handle baggage from passengers with American accents (who are more likely to have tipped) from those with various European accents (who are less likely to have tipped) and I wouldn't expect any of the problems alluded to above by not tipping.

Also they all seem too busy shifting luggage through the port to stand waiting for tips so if you plan to tip have it to hand as you'll likely find the porter has loaded your bags and moved on by the time you get cash out of your pocket.

Ah yes. The old "tipping is not required" notices which are plastered around the luggage drop off area. In sharp contrast to the people loading the carts who leave you in no doubt that tipping is most definitely required :)

Compare that to Southampton UK where the people loading the luggage carts which take bags to the ship are too busy doing their job to hang around scrounging for tips.

The result is a fast and efficient transit through the port. Friendly and efficient security staff who don't equate length of queue to level of protection. No one on a power trip, just folks working together to get the job done.

We gave up cruising mainstream lines out of the US a long time ago. US - 0, Rest of the World - 1. Thankfully you have such a strong and vibrant economy you don't need the tourist dollar :)

Henry :)

Hear, Hear!

I have a question. This is my first cruise, so don't beat me up too bad, but I have been reading up on the tipping to get a feel on what is expected. However, I was just wondering when did we get to the point to where we have to tip everyone. I mean don't the workers (porters, greeters, etc.) all earn paychecks? Are the paychecks they receive only for them showing up then we have to tip them to actually do their jobs now? I am just confused on why I would tip a guy or gal for taking my bag from me and wheeling it to a rack or a big pile of other bags for someone else who is not getting tipped to take and place on another rack. I see people fear their bags not making it or being messed up if they don't tip. So you are tipping out of fear not because you want to tip. I thought tips were a bonus not their salary. I can understand tipping the cabin steward and waiter because they are dealing with you all week and you may need extra service from them. But making sure that your room is clean and kept neat is part of their daily jobs. I feel I am no longer tipping because I want to tip because you gave me great service. I am now tipping to make sure you do "your job and don't get mad". That goes for everywhere now not just on a cruise. I pull up to the starbucks and they have a tipping cup there. Why am I tipping you extra for you to make me a coffee? You are getting paid by the hour to make a coffee or latte. I can see if I went to the same Starbucks everyday and I knew the workers and they gave me a Venti cup instead of a grande cup for the same price. Then yes a tip is how I would compensate.

To me the porters at the cruise dock are the same as the ramp people at the airport and when I get my ticket and they take my bag and place it on the conveyor beltI don't tip them either. The bag is going on the conveyor belt to someone else how do they know I tipped the first guy?

I guess I'm just confused.

Ah yes. The old "tipping is not required" notices which are plastered around the luggage drop off area. In sharp contrast to the people loading the carts who leave you in no doubt that tipping is most definitely required :)

Compare that to Southampton UK where the people loading the luggage carts which take bags to the ship are too busy doing their job to hang around scrounging for tips.

The result is a fast and efficient transit through the port. Friendly and efficient security staff who don't equate length of queue to level of protection. No one on a power trip, just folks working together to get the job done.

We gave up cruising mainstream lines out of the US a long time ago. US - 0, Rest of the World - 1. Thankfully you have such a strong and vibrant economy you don't need the tourist dollar :)

Henry :)

Thank you Henry! I usually just read these posts in the morning and get my cruising "fix". But now to know that all the cruise workers in the States are "substandard ", well coming from you, that is a revelation. I won't comment on your "superior " attitude because I have two beautiful granddaughters in the UK (their Mum taught them to be civil). I gu was we should just open the ports to let anyone in (how did that work in the UK?). The OP was about tips, not your view of how bad/evil the U.S. Customs Dept. is. Keep on topic. This is a friendly site.

I have a question. This is my first cruise, so don't beat me up too bad, but I have been reading up on the tipping to get a feel on what is expected. However, I was just wondering when did we get to the point to where we have to tip everyone. I mean don't the workers (porters, greeters, etc.) all earn paychecks? Are the paychecks they receive only for them showing up then we have to tip them to actually do their jobs now? I am just confused on why I would tip a guy or gal for taking my bag from me and wheeling it to a rack or a big pile of other bags for someone else who is not getting tipped to take and place on another rack. I see people fear their bags not making it or being messed up if they don't tip. So you are tipping out of fear not because you want to tip. I thought tips were a bonus not their salary. I can understand tipping the cabin steward and waiter because they are dealing with you all week and you may need extra service from them. But making sure that your room is clean and kept neat is part of their daily jobs. I feel I am no longer tipping because I want to tip because you gave me great service. I am now tipping to make sure you do "your job and don't get mad". That goes for everywhere now not just on a cruise. I pull up to the starbucks and they have a tipping cup there. Why am I tipping you extra for you to make me a coffee? You are getting paid by the hour to make a coffee or latte. I can see if I went to the same Starbucks everyday and I knew the workers and they gave me a Venti cup instead of a grande cup for the same price. Then yes a tip is how I would compensate.

To me the porters at the cruise dock are the same as the ramp people at the airport and when I get my ticket and they take my bag and place it on the conveyor beltI don't tip them either. The bag is going on the conveyor belt to someone else how do they know I tipped the first guy?

I guess I'm just confused.

You're not the least bit confused......you nailed the issue! Welcome to the exciting and addicting world of cruising. Don't let this minor issue ruin what otherwise would be an awesome experience. Happy Sails to you and yours.

You're not the least bit confused......you nailed the issue! Welcome to the exciting and addicting world of cruising. Don't let this minor issue ruin what otherwise would be an awesome experience. Happy Sails to you and yours.

LOL thank you! I was just making sure because I was starting to believe I was just a plain ole mean person. Nothing like that will ruin it for me though i'm too excited for it to ruin my time and I don't feel that I have to tip every single person I mean I did pay for my cruise.

been on 25 cruises.

Never tipped the porter to take my 1 rolling suitcase from the floor , and move it inside the bin that is right in front of him.

I have even done it myself a few times.

I am polite, say hello & thank you........... but I do not tip for a service that I don't want, don't need & I am "forced" to use...............

ps - always got my bags.

You're tipping the shuttle driver for the ride (which takes a credible amount of time out of a given hour) ... and he doesn't make much and is probably pretty congenial, so it's a pleasant exchange on both sides.

You're tipping the port worker for overseeing the tiny task of moving your luggage to a cart that someone else will take on board and someone else will stage to the appropriate deck and someone else will move to the hall outside your cabin ... and he is likely a well paid union worker who may or may not be of pleasant countenance.

Guess which one gets a better tip from me.

Hmm, I'd like to know if that's true about cruise porters being well paid union.

Not that it matters, we still tip well because we like to have our luggage with us when we cruise.;)

The skycaps at the airport where I used to work were paid $2.00-3.00/hr and relied heavily on tips. Not a lot of people knew that and those poor guys got stiffed a lot.

But I retired about 5 years ago, not sure if that's still the case.

The skycaps at the airport where I used to work were paid $2.00-3.00/hr and relied heavily on tips. Not a lot of people knew that and those poor guys got stiffed a lot.

But I retired about 5 years ago, not sure if that's still the case.

Skycaps are the ones who will not let you forget to tip. They'll stand there and look at you til you pay up. I can't imagine anyone stiffing them.

At Barcelona, they'll take your money if you offer it (obviously!), but there's no requirement or expectation of a tip. From my experience of going through the port I haven't seen any difference in the way they handle baggage from passengers with American accents (who are more likely to have tipped) from those with various European accents (who are less likely to have tipped) and I wouldn't expect any of the problems alluded to above by not tipping.

Also they all seem too busy shifting luggage through the port to stand waiting for tips so if you plan to tip have it to hand as you'll likely find the porter has loaded your bags and moved on by the time you get cash out of your pocket.

Thank you!