Tipping for luggage drop off

I'm taking a hotel shuttle (complimentary) over to Port Everglades. Who do I tip for handling my luggage, the shuttle driver (assuming he takes my luggage off) or the Port luggage handlers checking my luggage in, or both?

Both.

Ah yes. The old "tipping is not required" notices which are plastered around the luggage drop off area. In sharp contrast to the people loading the carts who leave you in no doubt that tipping is most definitely required :)

Compare that to Southampton UK where the people loading the luggage carts which take bags to the ship are too busy doing their job to hang around scrounging for tips.

The result is a fast and efficient transit through the port. Friendly and efficient security staff who don't equate length of queue to level of protection. No one on a power trip, just folks working together to get the job done.

We gave up cruising mainstream lines out of the US a long time ago. US - 0, Rest of the World - 1. Thankfully you have such a strong and vibrant economy you don't need the tourist dollar :)

Henry :)

You're tipping the shuttle driver for the ride (which takes a credible amount of time out of a given hour) ... and he doesn't make much and is probably pretty congenial, so it's a pleasant exchange on both sides.

You're tipping the port worker for overseeing the tiny task of moving your luggage to a cart that someone else will take on board and someone else will stage to the appropriate deck and someone else will move to the hall outside your cabin ... and he is likely a well paid union worker who may or may not be of pleasant countenance.

Guess which one gets a better tip from me.

The few times we've done a shuttle, the bus driver off-loads the luggage...we never even SAW a porter, so there was no one to tip. If you personally interact with someone, tip a couple bucks. If not...don't worry about it.

I'm taking a hotel shuttle (complimentary) over to Port Everglades. Who do I tip for handling my luggage, the shuttle driver (assuming he takes my luggage off) or the Port luggage handlers checking my luggage in, or both?

Both.

The few times we've done a shuttle, the bus driver off-loads the luggage...we never even SAW a porter, so there was no one to tip. If you personally interact with someone, tip a couple bucks. If not...don't worry about it.

I'm missing something. Did you leave your luggage sitting on the sidewalk unwatched? Or did your shuttle driver load your luggage up and take it into the building? If he drove, unloaded and then delivered your luggage to the ship, he deserved a nice tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is an interesting tip thread, and amazing civilized.

I have a question. How much do you guys usually tip the porters? Do you do it by the bag of just a set amount (I'm assuming the $100 suggestion was sarcasm).

I've been on cruises where a porter comes out to the car/bus and gets the luggage from you to take it to the terminal and other cruises where we drag it up in a line and just had it over and they just put it on a big rack. In the latter cases I never know who to tip because there is usually a guy at the head of the line and a bunch of other guys actually doing the luggage handling.

There doesn't seem to be any norm!

Tom

So what did you DO with your luggage? What did the people who arrived 10 seconds after you DO? We have shuttled multiple times and our driver always stops where there IS a porter.......they all know each other and even chit chat briefly.

Both. When I give my bag to porter, I smile, say thank you and tip. I really like having my bags get to my room on time and in one piece. I minor thing to do to lessen the risk of a problem

To answer the OP"S question, I say both.

Now I have a question (on topic)

Many of you have said you tip the porter because you want your bags to get to your room in one piece. What happens if you don't tip? Are the bags chalk marked so everyone knows you didn't tip? Do the porters sent your luggage to the "gorilla" room where luggage is tossed and banged around until the zipper breaks and the tags are gone? Is it put in the I-FLY for the crew's entertainment?

Seriously, what happens?

My guess... it doesn't make any difference. I'm sure if some porter got caught tossing bags into the ocean the excuse of "that person didn't give me a tip" wouldn't fly in court. I think the porter may be a little disgruntled and say a few color metaphors about you while taking your bags to the same place they'd take them otherwise. As you noted, once on in the queue how would they know which people tipped and which didn't.

That doesn't mean tipping is wrong. We all know these guys work hard and part of their compensation is assumed from tips. We have the choice whether or not to tip them or how much or to just not tip at all.

Of course, if the job is not worth it and the porters quit, we may end up in the long run dragging our luggage on board ourselves. I, for one, don't mind paying a few $$$ to not have to bring my suitcases all the way to my room.

Tom

Now I have a question (on topic)

Many of you have said you tip the porter because you want your bags to get to your room in one piece. What happens if you don't tip? Are the bags chalk marked so everyone knows you didn't tip? Do the porters sent your luggage to the "gorilla" room where luggage is tossed and banged around until the zipper breaks and the tags are gone? Is it put in the I-FLY for the crew's entertainment?

Seriously, what happens?

.. I have a question. How much do you guys usually tip the porters? Do you do it by the bag of just a set amount (I'm assuming the $100 suggestion was sarcasm)....

Usually around $5 for our 2-3 bags.