Leaving Dirty dishes, food trays and cups in hallway. WHY?

jolyroger

Fresh off the Breeze, this being our 7th Carnival , Fabulous time. One thing in all the cruises we've taken that I will never understand...Why must people leave their empty trays, plates, cups etc in the hallway outside their cabin door? Nothing like walking up a hallway and seeing a cup just sitting there or uneaten food on a tray. I don't get why leaving it in the cabin is such a hard thing. I mean would you do this at home? I sure as hell hope not, but maybe that's just me being OCD. Feel free to Flame, I know its coming...but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

When we order room service I put the dishes back on the tray and stack them onto themselves, put the trash in the top plate and put the covers back on them - we then leave them on the table or counter of our room - our cabin steward takes care of them the next time he is through our room. Some folks leave such messes! I have actually watched a lady open her cabin door, take her tray down the hall and leave it outside some random door! Unbelievable!

Fresh off the Breeze, this being our 7th Carnival , Fabulous time. One thing in all the cruises we've taken that I will never understand...Why must people leave their empty trays, plates, cups etc in the hallway outside their cabin door? Nothing like walking up a hallway and seeing a cup just sitting there or uneaten food on a tray. I don't get why leaving it in the cabin is such a hard thing. I mean would you do this at home? I sure as hell hope not, but maybe that's just me being OCD. Feel free to Flame, I know its coming...but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I don't get it either. I'm just waiting for the day when my clumsy self steps in someone's leftover chocolate cake and tracks it all over the ship. I always leave the room service tray in the cabin and the steward picks it up when they service the room.

Lol, well if that post came off as "angry" that was not the intention. I was simply stating that it just basically looks bad. I'd rather leave it in my cabin and wait till morning or evening which ever comes first. But that apparently is just us.:):):):):

Edited by jolyroger

Disgusting, isn't it? I often wonder if they put any plates of theirs on the floor at home.

And then there's those that actually put their uneaten food and drink out there, instead of putting it in the trash or down the sink.

there are many stewards and room service folk who TELL you that's what you should do. so your pet peeve and anger are directed at the wrong place

MAybe that's what they do where they come from, but I live in the civilized world. Try putting your tray on the floor in Wendy's next time youre there, and see what looks you get.

I put my tray somewhere convenient for the steward to collect on his next visit. IN THE CABIN.

I do what the steward tells us to do and what some hotels that offer room service tell you to do.

Put it in the hallway and ring room service to let them know.

Therefore,, mine goes in the hallway as directed.:D

You guys really do NOT want to open this can of worms. NCL recently tried to use this as an excuse to not allow people to bring food from food venues to their room. Basically it was a way to FORCE people to use their pay room service. Thankfully many NCL cruisers revolted and NCL reversed its decision. Leave it alone. If that is Carnivals policy to leave trays in the hallway, then leave it at that. We do not need to give them a reason for another cutback. Room service always tells people to leave it in the hallway. It is easier for them to deal with it that way.

Edited by mkdreams

I have in the past used a walker. I could fold it up a little to get around all the trays. However, in the future I will have to bring a scooter and I have no idea how I will be able to get around them.

tigercat

I leave it in the hallway when the cabin steward does not pick it up from our room. For some reason, our stewards are always hesitant to take away dishes, even though we've clearly stacked them on the desk.

So, to the hallway they go.

CeleBrat

You have many Carnival cruises under your belt. Why would you post this, you should know that is what the room stewards tell people to do. So those people that you are knocking are just following carnivals rule. Get over it, you will live.

You guys really do NOT want to open this can of worms. NCL recently tried to use this as an excuse to not allow people to bring food from food venues to their room. Basically it was a way to FORCE people to use their pay room service. Thankfully many NCL cruisers revolted and NCL reversed its decision. Leave it alone. If that is Carnivals policy to leave trays in the hallway, then leave it at that. We do not need to give them a reason for another cutback. Room service always tells people to leave it in the hallway. It is easier for them to deal with it that way.

Well said and I agree, I remember this. People almost shot themselves in the foot with this NCL tried to use it as a way to screw over its cruisers.

I ignore the dishes but my mind still ask "why"? Its shows no class and is just plain tacky.

MAybe that's what they do where they come from, but I live in the civilized world. Try putting your tray on the floor in Wendy's next time youre there, and see what looks you get.

I put my tray somewhere convenient for the steward to collect on his next visit. IN THE CABIN.

This is what the people are told to do so before you chastise people know what your talking about. Not everyone is as perfect as you think you are.

This is what the people are told to do so before you chastise people know what your talking about. Not everyone is as perfect as you think you are.

Don't get too excited about the poster you quoted.

If you went thru all of their posts, you'd find that 90% or more is just a response to get under someone's skin and stir the pot. Poster never really adds substance to anything.

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to some people. Carnival has people that come around on each deck to collect room service dishes from the hallways on a regular basis.

I can see that when you're living in a 18x10" MOL space that you wouldn't want to leave dirty dishes laying around for the cabin steward to pick them up possibly hours later. I don't leave dirty dishes laying around in my living space at home, and am not interested in doing so on vacation. So the reasonable thing to do is to neatly place a napkin over the tray and set it out in the hallway. I've found it will magically disappear in short order--just like dirty dishes do on Lido or in the dining room.

I doubt most cabin stewards are thrilled to do the job of the person whose job it is to pick up those dishes from the hallway. Cabin stewards are already stretched thin.

So just call and ask for your dishes to be picked up from the hallway after you place them out there! What's the big deal about that? It's not like people are spreading their leftovers in the hallways!

Get a grip and quit stressing over such trivial details!

I wouldn't want to sleep in a cabin with the odor of leftover food. If it's something that doesn't have an odor or can be disposed of easily, that's one thing, but, otherwise, I'll do as I've always been asked to do and put it outside.

I just think some people think they are entitled to do it. On my last cruise there was a glass left on the floor right in the middle of the stairs, really. Or glasses left on the floor of the elevators. Some people just think it is OK to be slobs and disrespectful to all the hard workers that keep the ships clean. A couple of extra steps to find a table won't kill them.