Leaving Dirty dishes, food trays and cups in hallway. WHY?

jolyroger

On a recent cruise, we received our Platinum tray of treats one evening - it arrived around 6:00pm. We had a couple, but weren't really interested in eating all of them. The plate was left during turn-down service that evening by the steward (reasonable). It was left during the morning service the next day. It was left again the next evening during turn down. And the next morning.

I finally gave up and put it in the hallway. I had assumed that this particular tray was the responsibility of the steward since it had not been "ordered" from room service, but who knows?

We normally leave our trays in the cabin. This was no problem when we were getting our room serviced 2x's per day. On our last cruise we had 1x cleaning in the evening. Our dirty breakfast dishes were in our cabin all day. We may start putting them out.

No it's not. It's stressing how it wouldn't be acceptable in a low class place to eat, so why would someone expect it to be acceptable in any place "higher".

No, you are comparing an eating establishment with a hotel establishment, two different things completely. Now if you had said "try putting your tray in the hall at a Days Inn" you would have been making an apples to apples comparision, but one that wouldn't mean much because Days Inns don't offer room service. Mariott hotels offer room service though and I see trays in the hallway every time I stay in one.

....Why must people leave their empty trays, plates, cups etc in the hallway outside their cabin door?...

On the few times we used room service we did what room service told us to do. When we finished eating we called room service to let them know that we were getting ready to leave our cabin and asked them to send someone to pick up our trays. If they told us to leave our tray in the cabin for our cabin attendant, that is what we did. If they told us to put them out in the hallway then in the hallway they went.

I do agree that placing them in the hall isn't the right thing to do. Especially for people who have to use walkers or wheel chairs. But we follow the directives that come from room service.

That's the way I feel about door decorations! I don't see them in hotels so unsure why people feel a need to do it on a cruise ship. If you need the decorations to find your room you have some big problems..

So your are disgusted to see door decorations? REALLY? They fall into the same category as dirty food trays?

The kids LOVE being able to personalize their doors. I enjoy seeing the creativity of others in expressing their excitement for their trip, identifying and promoting a group,or celebration and general expression of individuality.

As far as the trays, everyone is free to decide, however from a crew standpoint and ship protocol. It is best to leave the trays in the hallway so the proper personnel,can pick them up and serperate organic/other and not overburden the already overworked stewards. But for goodness sake, "cover those nasty plates"!

No, you are comparing an eating establishment with a hotel establishment, two different things completely. Now if you had said "try putting your tray in the hall at a Days Inn" you would have been making an apples to apples comparision, but one that wouldn't mean much because Days Inns don't offer room service. Mariott hotels offer room service though and I see trays in the hallway every time I stay in one.

I wouldn't try too hard to sway them to your side of the debate.

It appears as if they've never been in a four or five star hotel and seen trays in the hallways. Now, this is just me, but I would never call them a lower class of person because of that, like they seem to be implying about people that do that on cruise lines.

I certainly don't consider myself lower class when I grab a chicken sandwich for lunch at Wendy's. Kinda like I don't feel high class when we go to a Michelin star establishment.

Edited by TomAceEsq

Depending on the food, and the amount of items. Sometimes we leave the tray in the room but if it's crowded we put it in the hallway. Sometimes we put it near the staff entrance in the hallway so it not near our cabin, that's annoying.

Fresh off the Breeze, this being our 7th Carnival , Fabulous time. One thing in all the cruises we've taken that I will never understand...Why must people leave their empty trays, plates, cups etc in the hallway outside their cabin door? Nothing like walking up a hallway and seeing a cup just sitting there or uneaten food on a tray. I don't get why leaving it in the cabin is such a hard thing. I mean would you do this at home? I sure as hell hope not, but maybe that's just me being OCD. Feel free to Flame, I know its coming...but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I feel your pain . I hate when I see it in hallway:rolleyes:

Ok, I'm the wacky one that just runs the dishes back up to the lido deck.:D

We always choose aft cabins and don't order room service all that often. Since space is at a premium inside and I'll get a little exercise, off I go.

The DH says I'm nuts.

Here are some room service trays in the hallway of the W Hotel in Beverly Hills. This happens in first class hotels around the world folks. It's not ideal but class has nothing to do with it. The same thing happens on ships, it is what it is. Covering the tray with a napkin is a good idea so at least people don't have to see bite marks taken from food. ;)

IMG_5306_zpsc6f0c38d.jpg?resize=480%2C360

Edited by sanmarcosman

Here are some room service trays in the hallway of the W Hotel in Beverly Hills. This happens in first class hotels around the world folks. It's not ideal but class has nothing to do with it. The same thing happens on ships, it is what it is. Covering the tray with a napkin is a good idea so at least people don't have to see bite marks taken from food. ;)

IMG_5306_zpsc6f0c38d.jpg?resize=480%2C360

When I order room service at a hotel, which is not included in my rate, it always comes on a rolling cart.

When I order room service at a hotel, which is not included in my rate, it always comes on a rolling cart.

In my experience when you order something simple like a continental breakfast it is served on a tray. When two people are ordering a full meal with several courses a roll-in dining cart is used with a hot box under the cart to keep the entrees warm while dining on appetizers and salads courses. Naturally these procedures vary from property to property and country to country. Next time try ordering coffee and a muffin and tell me you always get a rolling cart :)

The only time I had an issue was when the DW had a mobility scooter and we were in a 4J. The neighboring cabin would put their dishes closer to our door and block the scooter access. A few times of moving their trays to the other side of their door fixed it... :D

Who cares?!? Just got off the Breeze and there were dishes everyday. I walked past them. So what?? We left ours in our cabin except the day the room steward didn't take them, and we set them in the hall. I really can't believe the things people get upset about.

Who cares?!? Just got off the Breeze and there were dishes everyday. I walked past them. So what?? We left ours in our cabin except the day the room steward didn't take them, and we set them in the hall. I really can't believe the things people get upset about.

I know, right! Personally it gives me something to nibble on as I make my way to my cabin.

We've always been told (by cabin stewards and/or room service attendants) to leave the trays out in the hallway, so that's why we do it.

This is what we always do as well.

This topic has been discussed/argued about before, there are two sides: those that put trays in the hallway and those that don't. Neither way is really wrong.

I do dispose of leftover drinks down the sink before putting the cups/glasses back on the tray, and I stack the plates and leave the leftovers/trash on the top plate then cover with the cloches. The cutlery is put together on one side of the tray with the napkins folded over. So no one sees a bunch of un-eaten food on our tray. :)

What I don't understand is, if someone doesn't like looking at leftover food on someone's tray out in the hall, why do you look at it? If I am walking down the hallway and I can see a tray someone put out, I don't look down at it as I walk by. I just keep walking.

Carnival normally says "put in the hallway" as has been noted here.

- granted, it does impede foot traffic; makes it harder for room service carts to get by, and there's the off chance someone will step in it. BUT, it does make pickup easier and quicker.

Holland America provides a little tent card on every room service tray, imploring the passenger to CALL WHEN they're ready for TRAY PICKUP. They're usually quick about retrieving the tray as well.

Princess Cruises doesn't seem to have a position on this.

But I don't understand why people order food and then don't eat it? Maybe next time think about not ordering "all that" food and then the issue for others won't be an issue.

Maybe sometimes the people didn't order "all that" food.

I know extra food has been given to me before and I didn't order it. I love ordering room service breakfast and eating it on our balcony. My husband prefers to go to the buffet. If I want a croissant I order ONE croissant, one time I was given FOUR. Sorry, but I didn't want to eat the other three (as I had also ordered a fruit plate) and when my husband got back to the room he was too full from his own buffet breakfast to eat any of the extra three. I felt bad, but had to leave them on the plate when I put the tray out in the hall.

Oh man, I can't even count the number of trays we've either tossed off the balcony or put in other people's rooms when the steward is cleaning. You have to know, when it's really windy, those trays come flying back into other balconies.

As for the nun fight, I think I know the nuns you mean!

;)

lol actually I just made that whole story up. Stewards actually want the trays left in the hall