Leaving Dirty dishes, food trays and cups in hallway. WHY?

jolyroger

We don't order room service a lot but when we do we always leave the tray in the room. Besides looking gross in the hallways, it is also a safety hazard. We have seen where either someone kicked the trays or a scooter hit them and the items are strewn across the hall and there has also been broken glass in the hallway.

Admittedly, I have never asked what I should do with the trays.

I always leave them stacked in my room and the room steward has always removed them. Honestly it's less work for me to do it that way so I have no plans on changing what I do until I'm specifically told not to.

We don't order room service a lot but when we do we always leave the tray in the room. Besides looking gross in the hallways, it is also a safety hazard. We have seen where either someone kicked the trays or a scooter hit them and the items are strewn across the hall and there has also been broken glass in the hallway.

Did you share this experience with Carnival Cruise Line? They should know about this since it is they who instruct the staff to inform guests to place trays in the hallway.

I was actually told to do that on my one cruise. I was a bit clueless about doing it, but saw everyone else doing it and then was told by the room steward to do it. So...i did it. lol. I agree it looks bad, didn't realize we weren't supposed to.

You did the right thing according to carnival, its stewards and room service.

don't listen to what others say to make you think you did anything wrong. If you read the replies here you would know that carnival will tell you to leave it outside the room most of the time

Funny story from another cruise line.....

I was one who didn't like to see dirty dishes in the hallways. Anyway, we usually got room service at night, so when our coffee was brought in morning I would ask the person to take our dirty dishes with them. No problem they would tell us and would take our dishes. Once we got ready and headed out for the day, I would see dirty dishes on the floor in front of our cabin. Pissed me off because these rude people would put their dishes in front of our cabin and not their own.

It wasn't until a few days later that I realized they were OUR dishes.. haha. The person who brought our coffee would happily take our dirty dishes from the night before and just set them on the floor in front of our cabin.

Talk about feeling like a complete idiot... LOL!

I ignore the dishes but my mind still ask "why"? Its shows no class and is just plain tacky.

That's the way I feel about door decorations! I don't see them in hotels so unsure why people feel a need to do it on a cruise ship. If you need the decorations to find your room you have some big problems.

FYI...as others have stated, JH mentioned on his Facebook page the stewards prefer you put your trays outside your door. And it is OK to put the napkin over the used dishes. Like most, I don't want to look at half-eaten food.

We always stay on the Spa Deck and throw the trays off the balcony. Sometimes they don't make it into the ocean though, and land on someone else's balcony. One time the two nuns staying below us got mad and got into a fist fight with my wife. Since they threw the first punches, they were thrown in the brig overnight and then kicked off the ship in Jamaica.

What a ridiculous post,you are told to place them outside your cabin door,do you complain when you order breakfast and its on the deck outside your hatch.NO.But the kicker is,when coming back from a late night there are always these goodies waiting for you,un-eaten still with the covers on,MMhhh,but the key is to hang round the suites,its unbelievable what they throw out.Now should start a thread requesting a microwave in cabin,to reheat the left-overs,oh lordy-be just enjoy please.:)

I have to say I am amazed by some of these responses. First, someone said to put the food in the trash or down the sink. Please do not put any food down the sink in your room! That would be unbelievably stupid.

Second, my mother was in her wheelchair (not scooter this time) on one of our cruises and as long as people put the trays right outside their door, unless you are walking or rolling with your shoulder against the wall it would be pretty hard to run over a tray. We never had any issues navigating the hallways with the only exception being the steward's cart. Sometimes that would really impede traffic with someone in a wheelchair. Never had any issues with the trays in the hall. Why is everyone acting like the trays are all in the middle of the hall?

I have to say I love the folks judging others who are doing what they have been told to do. By the stewards and Head of Housekeeping (through JH). The stewards are not responsible for the trays that is why when you leave them in your room, they usually don't get picked up.

We specifically asked our steward about this on our last cruise and he told us that we are supposed to leave them outside. It makes the job of the staff easier, and sometimes if there is a lot of food left the steward doesn't know whether to remove it or if it was meant to be saved. Bottom line is the staff recommends leaving it in the hall outside the door. It's how it's supposed to be done.

If it's the passengers job to make everything easier for the help, why not just bring it all back to the galley, wash it, and stow it.

Putting food trays on the floor anywhere is classless.

If it's the passengers job to make everything easier for the help, why not just bring it all back to the galley, wash it, and stow it.

Except when you are specifically told to do that. What is classless is making more work for the steward by leaving the trays in your room. He/she is not responsible for those. There are others who come and pick it up, not the steward.

Except when you are specifically told to do that. What is classless is making more work for the steward by leaving the trays in your room. He/she is not responsible for those. There are others who come and pick it up, not the steward.

if that is the case and since its Carnival's request to do so, I recommend that anyone who thinks its classless find another cruise line that does not recommend it. There must be some that don't want you to do it.

We always stay on the Spa Deck and throw the trays off the balcony. Sometimes they don't make it into the ocean though, and land on someone else's balcony. One time the two nuns staying below us got mad and got into a fist fight with my wife. Since they threw the first punches, they were thrown in the brig overnight and then kicked off the ship in Jamaica.

Oh man, I can't even count the number of trays we've either tossed off the balcony or put in other people's rooms when the steward is cleaning. You have to know, when it's really windy, those trays come flying back into other balconies.

As for the nun fight, I think I know the nuns you mean!

;)

I'm just off the Dream. I get up at 5 am while on the ship and seen guy going down the hall with a cart picking trays up. May they need to do it a few times a day. Some cabins don't have a whole lot of space to leave trays

And just maybe if the sight of a room service tray causes someone such distress maybe they shouldn't be on a ship.

If you don't get the concept of common courtesy and manners, its probably to late to learn....if you read my post, I said if you were instructed to place RS dishes in hall, do it....wouldn't you agree to at least arrange them on the tray and cover them so people aren't looking at a 1/2 eaten hamburger with ketchup smeared all over the plate? Don't you find that a bit unappetizing? I realize you could of the mindset of "well I don't want to look at the dishes and if other people don't like it, its their problem. I am on vacation and paid my money, I get to do what I want to do because I want to"....you are not alone, there are a good portion of people with that mindset. You have my condolences

Edited by First and Ten

Setting the trays out in the hall is standard with most hotels. Some of the fancier ones ask you to call when you are done and they'll come back to pick it up. No way am I letting the smells of my room service meal stink up the place all night. It is good manners to place a napkin over the uneaten portion of your meals. I've noticed Carnival needs to send the tray picker upper more frequently .... on occasion I've seen dishes/trays left for HOURS.

I have actually watched a lady open her cabin door, take her tray down the hall and leave it outside some random door! Unbelievable!

This seems to happen to my wife and I every cruise. We used to get peeved when we saw it. Now we just shrug it off and put our stuff next to it.

I'll never understand why people do this. It's like they're embarrassed they utilized room service.

Try putting your tray on the floor in Wendy's next time youre there, and see what looks you get.

What a very ignorant post comparing apples to oranges :rolleyes:

Ive seen trays in hallways of VERY fancy hotels. You know WHY? BECAUSE THATS WHAT PEOPLE ARE TOLD TO DO WITH THEM. The difference is, the hotel staff comes by and collects them faster than cruise ship staff does. If my cabin attendant instructs me to put the tray in the hall, guess where its going? He/she does not work for Room service.

As someone in a wheelchair I too hate seeing stuff clutter the halls. Especially when the halls are narrow as it is and there are cleaning carts and scooters out there too. Its never been THAT big a deal though.

Do you ever post ANYTHING that is not rude and condescending? Im pretty new to this particular forum but I havent seen it yet.

Edited by ryano