Leaving Dirty dishes, food trays and cups in hallway. WHY?

jolyroger

I have seen cabin stewards place trays in the hall. It isn't their department to pick them up and take to the kitchen. Bottom line I am on a cruise and it isn't going to ruin it for me. Guess I'm kinda one of those of pick your battles and don't sweat the small stuff.

Happy cruising all!

Kat

Fresh off the Breeze, this being our 7th Carnival , Fabulous time. One thing in all the cruises we've taken that I will never understand...Why must people leave their empty trays, plates, cups etc in the hallway outside their cabin door? Nothing like walking up a hallway and seeing a cup just sitting there or uneaten food on a tray. I don't get why leaving it in the cabin is such a hard thing. I mean would you do this at home? I sure as hell hope not, but maybe that's just me being OCD. Feel free to Flame, I know its coming...but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I'm not sure what Carnival's general recommendation is these days, but each cruise we've asked the room steward where they prefer them being placed. Some ask for them to be left in the cabin. Others have said that being in the hall makes them easier to pick up.

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to some people. Carnival has people that come around on each deck to collect room service dishes from the hallways on a regular basis.

I can see that when you're living in a 18x10" MOL space that you wouldn't want to leave dirty dishes laying around for the cabin steward to pick them up possibly hours later. I don't leave dirty dishes laying around in my living space at home, and am not interested in doing so on vacation. So the reasonable thing to do is to neatly place a napkin over the tray and set it out in the hallway. I've found it will magically disappear in short order--just like dirty dishes do on Lido or in the dining room.

I doubt most cabin stewards are thrilled to do the job of the person whose job it is to pick up those dishes from the hallway. Cabin stewards are already stretched thin.

So just call and ask for your dishes to be picked up from the hallway after you place them out there! What's the big deal about that? It's not like people are spreading their leftovers in the hallways!

Get a grip and quit stressing over such trivial details!

Putting a napkin over the top is fine, if that's what everyone would do. But you see plates from Guys with half eaten burgers and condiments just left on the floor. Very easily to become a big mess.

If you are told to place it in the hall, all well and good....I personally keep my plates in the room, because I think looking at dirty dishes is tacky, but that's just me....if you place the room service dishes in the hall....COVER THEM, show some pride people, its a cruise ship....classy....dignified. If you don't see the problem with that, maybe you shouldn't be on the ship

Edited by First and Ten

Fresh off the Breeze, this being our 7th Carnival , Fabulous time. One thing in all the cruises we've taken that I will never understand...Why must people leave their empty trays, plates, cups etc in the hallway outside their cabin door? Nothing like walking up a hallway and seeing a cup just sitting there or uneaten food on a tray. I don't get why leaving it in the cabin is such a hard thing. I mean would you do this at home? I sure as hell hope not, but maybe that's just me being OCD. Feel free to Flame, I know its coming...but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

My OCD self can not stand the food trays half eaten to sit in the room (wherever they will fit (coveted counter space? small side table? bed? floor?) for OVER 24 hours waiting to be picked up the next night- this would mean spoiling food in my 185 sq.ft. room. Splendor is down to once daily cabin service (despite what Carnival beards say) and we opted for nightly. This would only put the cabin attendant in there every evening. (He told us to leave it in the hallway and he would pick up sometime within 12 hours. There is no perfect plan, I agree with you.

Edited by missholly24

there are many stewards and room service folk who TELL you that's what you should do. so your pet peeve and anger are directed at the wrong place

Yep. You do what your told and someone has a winge.

Go figure.

If you are told to place it in the hall, all well and good....I personally keep my plates in the room, because I think looking at dirty dishes is tacky, but that's just me....if you place the room service dishes in the hall....COVER THEM, show some pride people, its a cruise ship....classy....dignified. If you don't see the problem with that, maybe you shouldn't be on the ship

And just maybe if the sight of a room service tray causes someone such distress maybe they shouldn't be on a ship.

Sometimes I leave the tray in the room. If we have alot of stuff or if it's in the morning - like breakfast we've ordered, I keep it in the room, because the steward will service it soon. If we don't have alot of plates and/or if it's late at night, the tray goes outside.

That's the way we always do it and will continue to do so. As many have stated, the stewards often direct you to leave the trays outside. No need to call people names. And a comparison to Wendy's which is an eat-in fast food restaurant makes no sense.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I wish my room stewards would take them from rooms. I don't like putting them in the hall; but we have found that they won't take them from the room. I found that annoying on our last cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have asked various people on the ship and have been told both leaving it outside in the hall and leaving it in the cabin. I never thought twice about it until I had to start cruising in a wheelchair. It's difficult to get around the trays in the hallway, but I do the best I can. No problem either way. Won't ruin my cruise. :)

This is what the people are told to do so before you chastise people know what your talking about. Not everyone is as perfect as you think you are.

It's pretty funny when the poster that's looking down their nose at the rule-followers is wrong. And they're still so damned adamant about it. Classic! :D

We specifically asked our steward about this on our last cruise and he told us that we are supposed to leave them outside. It makes the job of the staff easier, and sometimes if there is a lot of food left the steward doesn't know whether to remove it or if it was meant to be saved. Bottom line is the staff recommends leaving it in the hall outside the door. It's how it's supposed to be done.

We stay in suites so I take the plates and stack them, put the covers back on and then put the whole tray in the sitting/vanity area near the bathroom....its outta the way and no smells

If it's a off time and my steward has already cleaned the room I'll usually call and ask that it be picked up.....

We have had stewards many times though tell us to just leave the whole tray in the hallway so I think most people are just doing what they r told

Reason why they advise hallway... So when food items get picked up from room service/galley crew (or any place for that matter) food and organic items, plastic, paper/trash, metal etc all MUsT be put in a separate receptacle. For usph standards, those receptacles are stored in kitchen areas under strict requirements. Food stuff is put in a macerator, the rest to the incinerator, dishwasher etc... The cabin stewards (who many times put them in the hallway themselves) must make special trips to have galley staff take the trays, which lets face it, they just don't have time for.

The galley staff have specific teams assigned to this job. Unfortunately, they are not always quick in their effort. But leaving food in the rooms is harder to control from a possible pest/health standpoint... But yes, please cover any nastiness or gross stuff...nobody wants to see all that. But I put it outside as it is easier for the crew that way. Especially on the bigger ships.

On my last cruise we had glasses from our last cocktails of the evening empty, straw thrown away, and after our room was serviced on the third morning they were still sitting on our desk. So we put them on someone else's tray in the hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After room service we stack the plates neatly in the room. Some times the steward doesn't take the tray. If the second day the tray hasn't been taken, we set the tray outside by our door. We will continue to do this. As space is limited as we all know. Cruise on!!

Well I don't care where you put them. Leave them in your room, put them in the hall or bring them to the Lido, I couldn't care less.

But I don't understand why people order food and then don't eat it? Maybe next time think about not ordering "all that" food and then the issue for others won't be an issue.

I was actually told to do that on my one cruise. I was a bit clueless about doing it, but saw everyone else doing it and then was told by the room steward to do it. So...i did it. lol. I agree it looks bad, didn't realize we weren't supposed to.