Dining packages going bye bye

macanudo23

Just read from other cruisers that starting Saturday they are getting rid of the SDP from NCL. For those who have it on future cruises are being honored but going forward they will no longer be offered as a package. I don't know how true it is...has anyone else heard this?

Not yet but are you surprised? Honestly, I've been looking at adding a 4 dinner dining plan because I have 3 free and the savings is pretty minimal particularly if you get a waiter who, as some have reported, only allow 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert. (and yes I know..who eats more etc but just for price comparison sake)

It's $99 pre-service charges and all that.

And truthfully, at this point, between the UDP and SDP, al a carte and cover charge restaurants floating around out here.....just go for it. Change over to one thing so eventually everyone is on the same page.

Hell, I'd be fine with them issuing the value of my SDP as OBC and just calling it a day.

Well, the current promotion ends at midnight Friday night. I don't know if the next (if any) has been announced yet.

Hi,

I saw it on a Facebook page. It's not just the promo. They are saying packages in general since most restaurants are a la carte now and it's become convoluted. Also, word is the packages are causing demand on the specialities and taking from the free venues. Time will tell I guess.

And truthfully, at this point, between the UDP and SDP, al a carte and cover charge restaurants floating around out here.....just go for it. Change over to one thing so eventually everyone is on the same page.

Hell, I'd be fine with them issuing the value of my SDP as OBC and just calling it a day.

Have you ever sailed with a dining package on NCL?

Not really. I have never had them change the Terms and Conditions of my dining package.

I think they meant that even though the offer has been extended that doesn't mean that next week the perks will have to include the dining package as an option. The T&Cs of the offer state that they can be changed at any time.

Personally, I doubt whether they will change the UK offer even if the package is withdrawn for sale and from offers in other places, but it's certainly possible.

I am hoping they will add the " free gratuities option" like they did last year. I really don't like the drinking or dining package. Thankfully, i booked my next NCL on the Epic with a great travel agency where i am getting 250 dollars onboard credit and paid gratuities i opted not to take the NCL specials.:D

Is this the speciality dining or ultimate dining they are getting rid of???

Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) has been gone for a long time. It was replaced with the SPD. Only those that booked prior to early last year still have the true UDP.

I am hoping they will add the " free gratuities option" like they did last year. I really don't like the drinking or dining package. Thankfully, i booked my next NCL on the Epic with a great travel agency where i am getting 250 dollars onboard credit and paid gratuities i opted not to take the NCL specials.:D

From your lips to the NCL folk ears. I would prefer this promo to the dining promo. Our last cruise we had UBP, UDP (that what it was called when we booked) onboard credit, and pre-paid gratuities. Loved it!

Our last cruise we had UBP, UDP (that what it was called when we booked) onboard credit, and pre-paid gratuities. Loved it!

I received those 4 plus my kids sail for free.:)

By setting the bar so high, NCL is less likely to impress me with current/future promos (SDP, Wi-Fi, excursion credit, etc.).

The promo or the ability to purchase the plan? Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they got rid of it altogether. I just went ahead and purchased the SDP for my son for our cruise two years out :eek: just to make sure we have it locked in for all three of us (DH and I have the 3 meal SDP promo).

Edited by Mistizoom

... By setting the bar so high, NCL is less likely to impress me with current/future promos (SDP, Wi-Fi, excursion credit, etc.).

Haha, LOL. Not high enough - just received another fancy brochure yesterday out of MIA HQ:

2 for 1 Cruise Fares + Free Airfare, and, for a limited time

choose 1: Free - - - plus, Free - unlimited internet

New Lower Fares plus ... :p

Oops - it's from Oceania Cruises ;)

Isn't it run by the same CEO :D

As someone else said, more programmed bundles & changes - regardless of the assigned "labels" are meaningless, including what's "included" and "excluded" & special items, etc.

They have had some version of a dinning plan forever. I find it hard to believe they are getting rid of the dinning plans for purchase. The promos have always been fluid with options going in and out of the 4. Someone reported a whole back that SDP and UBP was changing to photos and internet.

If they remove the dinning plans as a purchase option I would be very disappointed.

On 26th Dec 2015 I booked B2B on Norwegian Spirit From Barcelona over Christmas and New Year 2016 and got a choice of 2 out of 4 free add one . A couple of days ago I booked on Norwegian Spirit again from Barcelona for Christmas and New Year 2017 and could only choose 1 free add one. So obviously NCL are having a rethink on all this. I'm still happy with the deal. I can only imagine that being Christamas Cruises the prices won't go down and over this side of the Atlantic we don't have to pay the gratuities on the free packages which is a bonus

The change from two to four offers is nothing to do with NCL having a rethink about it. The perks with booking have been around for some time now and are constantly changing. It has almost always been just one offer but for a short period it was two, just the same as the actual items offered have changed from time to time.