Dining packages going bye bye

macanudo23

I booked April 2015 and have the UDP. How does this work, will I have a different sticker then the SDP? Does the UDP cover sushi? It's so confusing because they changed the plan. It seems that before July 2015 it may have covered sushi but now the sushi is just discounted? That stinks. Thanks

Edited by Rileyz

They have had some version of a dinning plan forever.

If by "forever" you mean little over two years, then yes, forever.

UDP was introduced in January 2014, before that you could only purchase three specific speciality dinners (no Teppanyaki for example) at very small discount for less than two years (introduced in August 2012).

I booked April 2015 and have the UDP. How does this work, will I have a different sticker then the SDP? Does the UDP cover sushi? It's so confusing because they changed the plan. It seems that before July 2015 it may have covered sushi but now the sushi is just discounted? That stinks. Thanks

Previously there was a 20% discount for sushi. It was changed to paying a $7 upcharge. I don't know which will apply to you. The sushi restaurant has never been fully included.

I received those 4 plus my kids sail for free.:)

By setting the bar so high, NCL is less likely to impress me with current/future promos (SDP, Wi-Fi, excursion credit, etc.).

Totally agree. I've had that twice in past years, and I'm looking for that in the future. It is hopefully not a Holy Grail.

You don't get stickers on your card, it is just noted in your reservation when they swipe your card. Although the T&Cs for the UDP were different than those for the SDP, as of a certain date, they started using the SDP terms for the UDP. This is really to your advantage, so no one complains. Rather than a % discount at some places, you will just pay an upcharge. $15 at dinner shows and Ocean Blue, and $7 at the sushi places. The only real difference, which is still honored, is that rather than covering only the 3 or 4 visits of the SDP, you have no limits with the UDP. Go for dinner at 5:30 and dessert at 9:30 if you want. Use it all 7 nights of the cruise.

The email I just got from NCL only says that the promo is going away only for Studio and Inside rooms.

I figured when this current promo ends they would go back 1 promo instead of 2. My guess would be 1 promo for Oceanview and above until Q1 next year when the cruise lines push for bookings again.

The change from two to four offers is nothing to do with NCL having a rethink about it. The perks with booking have been around for some time now and are constantly changing. It has almost always been just one offer but for a short period it was two, just the same as the actual items offered have changed from time to time.

I must have just stuck it lucky when I booked for Xmas 2016 . Either way it's a good promotion

You don't get stickers on your card, it is just noted in your reservation when they swipe your card. Although the T&Cs for the UDP were different than those for the SDP, as of a certain date, they started using the SDP terms for the UDP. This is really to your advantage, so no one complains. Rather than a % discount at some places, you will just pay an upcharge. $15 at dinner shows and Ocean Blue, and $7 at the sushi places. The only real difference, which is still honored, is that rather than covering only the 3 or 4 visits of the SDP, you have no limits with the UDP. Go for dinner at 5:30 and dessert at 9:30 if you want. Use it all 7 nights of the cruise.

The Freestyle card has your plan printed on it. The accounts are noted but the bartenders use the card to know if you have the UBP or not. A receipt for the full amount prints with every order and they just throw it out if you have the UBP.

Sun Block erases the ink on the card and wiped off UBP marking on my card. Had to get a new one because bartenders were giving me receipts to sign.

From your lips to the NCL folk ears. I would prefer this promo to the dining promo. Our last cruise we had UBP, UDP (that what it was called when we booked) onboard credit, and pre-paid gratuities. Loved it!

they have had the same specials on NCL for months now. Every now and then it says 3 days left, 2 days left and i think to myself oh good here it comes, here it comes, the free gratuities, and BOOM they do the same specials all over again. the excursion thing, WIFI etc etc. LOL....:eek::eek::(:(

Rumor has it there is some sort of arcade credit being added in with a photo credit but the SDP is going away completely. I thought the internet offer was a joke, arcade offer would take the cake. They really should just end the promotions they have had going forever and get back to making the prices more reasonable for cruisers. I wonder how much the Norwegian Sky being all-inclusive is costing them? :cool: I know a charter on the ship cost them quite the pretty penny.

Rumor has it there is some sort of arcade credit being added in with a photo credit but the SDP is going away completely. I thought the internet offer was a joke, arcade offer would take the cake. They really should just end the promotions they have had going forever and get back to making the prices more reasonable for cruisers. I wonder how much the Norwegian Sky being all-inclusive is costing them? :cool: I know a charter on the ship cost them quite the pretty penny.

Are we hearing that the SDP is not going to be offered for purchase at all? or just no longer offered as a free promotion?

I only ask because if they discontinue the SDP altogether, I want to purchase it now so I will have it for my cruise in September.

Also, where are these rumblings coming from, a few google searches turned up nothing whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

One person has said this. Several others have picked it up and ran.

Keep in mind that a good percentage of rumors CC end up materializing. I had 4 changes to my Escape cruise that I found out on CC weeks before hearing it from NCL. These included a complimentary restaurant becoming a la carte, change is sailing time, change in headlining entertainment and finally the cancellation of our cruise. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for NCL to be forthcoming with information of any changes.

Keep in mind that a good percentage of rumors CC end up materializing. I had 4 changes to my Escape cruise that I found out on CC weeks before hearing it from NCL. These included a complimentary restaurant becoming a la carte, change is sailing time, change in headlining entertainment and finally the cancellation of our cruise. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for NCL to be forthcoming with information of any changes.

This is true, although people were saying the same thing when the rumour was that the District Brewhouse was going to be excluded from the UBP, as an example. There have been other example of rumours that didn't amount to anything, but they tend to get forgotten.

This is true, although people were saying the same thing when the rumour was that the District Brewhouse was going to be excluded from the UBP, as an example. There have been other example of rumours that didn't amount to anything, but they tend to get forgotten.

Whether something materializes or not, I think some people here have some inside contacts and get good information. The "follow through" rate on a lot of things that originate here is pretty high. I suspect that when people report things they really are saying what they hear is going on. Some doesn't make it to fruition, but I for one believe it is legitimate information.

Have you ever sailed with a dining package on NCL?

Hi,

No. I'm going on NCL for the first time in November.

I have the 3 package now so if you have any advice on which ones I should use that on vs paying out of pocket for, I'd love some help. I THINK I am better off paying out of pocket for the ones with cover charges?

Generally when heard by multiple people, there is a better than 50% chance of it being true. But based on your post, I could say ANYTHING on CC, and you'd say, "Keep in mind that a good percentage of rumors....."

One person said this a few days ago. Not one single other person has heard anything similar. So maybe it's true, but it seems odd.

Edited by LrgPizza

Also, where are these rumblings coming from, a few google searches turned up nothing whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

I received an email from a cruise-booking site (not cc or I could link to it) giving the info discussed here. I take it all with a grain of sea salt because, as someone stated, we receive emails stating such and such will expire OR be extended so, until it happens, it's just a rumor. I'm with some of you about dumping the promos to lower prices or giving me free gratuities-which I got for a fall transatlantic. There was only one promo per booking offered when I booked in August, but at least it was one of value to me.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I'm planning on buying the package for an upcoming cruise later, just in case. We're just over 100 days out, so would need to get it in the next couple of weeks anyway.

Personally, I'm not convinced by this rumour, but you do never know. Not much would surprise me these days when it comes to NCL changes.

I'm planning on buying the package for an upcoming cruise later, just in case. We're just over 100 days out, so would need to get it in the next couple of weeks anyway.

Personally, I'm not convinced by this rumour, but you do never know. Not much would surprise me these days when it comes to NCL changes.

Im doing the same, im a bit further out than you but I want to buy it and might as well. I already missed out on buying it before they raised the price a few months back. I'd imagine they'll either get rid of it or raise the price again, definitely not going to make it cheaper lol.

Someone just posted the ad for the new promo on Facebook.

All rooms get a photo package, $100 arcade credit and friends/families sail free.

OV, balconies and MS get a pick one from UBP, shore excursions or wi-fi.

Suites and haven get 4 offers which isn't very clear but that's what the ad shows.

In effect through 5/22

If that's true then it looks like the original rumour was a misunderstanding originating from the dining package being removed from the promo. That decision makes sense as it does seem as though the number of promos is affecting availability of the restaurants for people who would be willing to pay.

Speaking to my industry contacts, that's a valid concern. There was overload on the specialty venues and underuse and waste in the MDRs providing a pretty much generally poor overall experience.

The SDP is still supposedly going to be offered for purchase, pricing TBD....

If that's true then it looks like the original rumour was a misunderstanding originating from the dining package being removed from the promo. That decision makes sense as it does seem as though the number of promos is affecting availability of the restaurants for people who would be willing to pay.